Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Amazon refunded £10 to me as I paid £30 for it, temped to ask to see if they'll refund £2 :rolleyes:

This is the gift that keeps on giving :pac:

Just wondering - How long ago did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Anyone up North in here? Tesco have it for £18 including a £5 Blinkbox credit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just wondering - How long ago did you buy it?

24th of July I believe.

A few weeks ago.

vicwatson wrote: »
    What do you call that thing Amazon have where you wanna top up your shopping to get it to STg 25 for free delivery????
    The Super Saver delivery?

Not sure what you mean unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Super Saver delivery?

Not sure what you mean unfortunately.

Ah it's ok,I deleted my post, the term I was looking for was "add on item" !!

Stg 18.45 incl Irish VAT for that Chromecast is a steal. Cheers OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Package it all back up, say you want to return it as it's not what you're after then buy one in Curry's?

Just can idea.

Yeah I think I'm gonna bring it back to Tesco tmw and then go to Currys to buy one
    ted1 wrote: »
    An Apple TV while more expensive is what you need

Agreed, though when I bought the Chromecast I didn't know it can't cast webpages from an ipad. But I'm planning on selling the ipad soon and getting a Nexus tablet so the Chromecast will be full use to me then
    comewatmay wrote: »
    I have a normal tv non-smart. I have an I phone.

What exactly can it do for me?

Apologies I'm very non-IT

If you're on an IPhone or IPad the main thing Chromecast will do for you is stream YouTube and Net flix videos onto your tv over your wifi network without the use of any wires. It works great in that regard but for Apple users that's about as far as it goes. There are other apps that work with Apple products (search Reddit for the full list) but anything decent there requires a monthly sub (as does Netflix).

If you want all of the above but plan on sticking with the Apple ecosystem then an Apple TV box would be better suited to you, I think they cost around €90 though so not cheap.
    If all you want is an easy (and cheap) way of playing YouTube and Netflix vids from your iphone onto your tv then the Chromecast is superb and for the price you can't go wrong.

At the end of the day you can do all of the above using a wire running from your phone to the tv. But for most people wires are hassle. With the Chromecast plugged into the HDMI slot on your tv you can have YouTube videos on it in seconds, pause them, fast forward, adjust volume, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I picked up two today. Find them pretty poor for doing stuff if you use apple iPhone and iPads. No streaming local content although Vlc is supposed to be bringing that very soon. Already had to reset one a number of times because it keeps rebooting. Although they do work well with plex.
    Already have 2nd gen appletvs here and a number of now tv units with plex on them.
    I find now tv far superior to the chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Going to have to choose between Bargain Alerts and Mrs Crinklewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

24th of July I believe.

A few weeks ago.

Good of them to refund the diff!

MBSnr wrote: »
    Good of them to refund the diff!

Oh stop, they could've easily said no and that would have been fine.

I essentially got a £30 value Chromecast for £15 (Had a £5 voucher)

Maybe even get it for £13 if they refund the £2, unlikely though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I have a chromecast I bought in currys and really, i cant for the life of me understand what the point is? I mean I get what it does, I just cant see why anyone would actually watch netflix or youtube or your chrome browser on the tv instead of the ipad/Androud tab???? I honestly rate it as the most pointless tech toy of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

I have a chromecast I bought in currys and really, i cant for the life of me understand what the point is? I mean I get what it does, I just cant see why anyone would actually watch netflix or youtube or your chrome browser on the tv instead of the ipad/Androud tab???? I honestly rate it as the most pointless tech toy of the decade.

Outside of the fact that it opens up a whole host of 'other' streaming options, how would it be preferable to watch Netflix on a phone/tablet than on a TV?

You basically get to smarten up any old TV for a very cheap price...

One major reason personally would be...

Nexus 7 is 7"

My tele is 52" and 32"

Which do you think it's more fun to watch Orange Is The New Black on? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

One major reason personally would be...

Nexus 7 is 7"

My tele is 52" and 32"

Which do you think it's more fun to watch Orange Is The New Black on? ;)

Exactly.

I can stream Netflix onto my HD tv instead of using a 5 or 7 inch screen and I don't need to have a computer or laptop in the room and hooked up via cables and, of course, the phone acts as a remote.

That's without even mentioning using Plex to stream local content from my server to any tv in the house via the Chromecast - with Plex I can watch that same media on my phone when travelling or on a PC while away from home as well but that's a whole other story.

Also, I got another one to plug into a sound bar to just stream music to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

The f'ing one thing I bought this bucket of crap for was to use "filmon" from my iPad. Yes that's right it doesn't work with apple .

Waste of time and money. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU USE APPLE PRODUCTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Thanks for the heads up Op. bought it today. It's the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

robertxxx wrote: »
    The f'ing one thing I bought this bucket of crap for was to use "filmon" from my iPad. Yes that's right it doesn't work with apple .

Waste of time and money. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU USE APPLE PRODUCTS.

A product made by google works best on an OS made by google? Shock horror!

Should of done your research.

A product made by google works best on an OS made by google? Shock horror!

Should of done your research.

I did, it says on it's own site it works with apple.

But now we all know it kind of works but not really.
    Is this a sale through false claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

What did you expect to work on it? You can stream music and video to your TV on multiple apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It works with iPhone, but APPLE restrict things like Chromecast from working properly. Its Apple who are causing the problem because of their silly little fight with Google.

What did you expect to work on it? You can stream music and video to your TV on multiple apps.

Filmon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Eh, I'm afraid you're the issue here and not the chromecast...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wonder if we could start a google plus group or fb group or something to share info on good chromecast tips/tricks/apps that we can't talk about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

I wonder if we could start a google plus group or fb group or something to share info on good chromecast tips/tricks/apps that we can't talk about here?

Or.....
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Could I stream sky go in a chrome tab to my tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Filmon

Film on works pefect on Android, don't know about iOS...

You could try film on on chrome browser on your Mac and use the Chromecast web add on and try beam it to TV that way?

You should have looked into what you were buying though as other posters stated, can you not bring it back where you got it and buy an apple tv if you like your walled garden so much?

I use Chromecast to mirror say a footy match or TV show from my Mac on my lap, straight to the TV, very handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

degsie wrote: »

Yeah that's true. I just never quite "got" reddit in terms of finding this sort of info. There's quite a lot of reading to find any gold by chance and they tend not to explain what they're talking about, just through out names here and there. Boards people are so much more helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It works with iPhone, but APPLE restrict things like Chromecast from working properly. Its Apple who are causing the problem because of their silly little fight with Google.

More like app developers need to add support for Chromecast, nothing to do with Apple or any silly fights. You'll most likely never be able to mirror mainly because Apple won't open up things like that due to security and to encourage users towards the Apple TV instead.

I picked up the Chromecast a few months back and use it with iOS daily. Mainly for Youtube but I also stream from a NAS through the app, which they added Chromecast support to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement