Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Could I stream sky go in a chrome tab to my tv?
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

surely there must be a way around this? can you mirror your desktop in totality?
    Not currently unfortunately.

Casting XBMC to Chromecast looks like it will work and there is a SkyGo add in for XBMC - might give that a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci0e5guw71A
    bluedoor27 wrote: »
    I am not sure if this was posted before but google Chromecast is now down to £18 on the currys.co.uk website. I think it's a bank holiday deal. It works out at just over €22 on the xe currency converter. Not able to post a link as I am a new poster. Maybe someone could help with that!

Works out as below

Items: GBP 18.00
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    (Order Total: GBP 18.00)
    Payment Total: EUR 23,45

add in Parcel Motel and it comes to €27.40
    I think for peace of mind it might be better to get one in your local PC World for €1.60 extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Items: GBP 18.00
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    (Order Total: GBP 18.00)
    Payment Total: EUR 23,45

add in Parcel Motel and it comes to €27.40
    I think for peace of mind it might be better to get one in your local PC World for €1.60 extra
    add something else onto your amazon order to bring it up over £25 and you get it with free shipping to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

foggy_lad wrote: »
    add something else onto your amazon order to bring it up over £25 and you get it with free shipping to Ireland.

That brings it to over €31 and I don't really want anything else at the moment
    Straight up cost of just a Chromecast is almost on par now between bricks and mortar and online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

As if you needed any more reasons, there's now a new root exploit!

Luckily I got one from the States around their release and have mine rooted already. Great craic!

http://hackaday.com/2014/08/25/chromecast-is-root/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wez wrote: »
    As if you needed any more reasons, there's now a new root exploit!

Luckily I got one from the States around their release and have mine rooted already. Great craic!

http://hackaday.com/2014/08/25/chromecast-is-root/

What benefit have you derived from rooting?
    I realise it's handy to change the dns but is there anything else worthwhile too?:)

• Advertisement

Main benefits for are roughly:

In-OS USB device support (usually only works for updates)
    CIFS/Samba share support (share files from PC)
    Bypass Googles whitelist for applications (broader selection of apps)
    Custom boot animation

More info HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Neat. Have my teensy here and will root it once I get it :D

Yeah I've got 2 Teensy's I could let people use (you only need it once), but I'm abroad for about the next 2 weeks..

It'd be easy enough to do it on the side of the street with a USB battery (if you were to meet up). Saves people buying something they'd only use the once..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Main benefits for are roughly:

In-OS USB device support (usually only works for updates)

It would be pretty amazing if they got video playback of mp4s or whatever working off of a USB connected to the Chromecast.

Yeah, would be slick alright! Sure you can always root yours and try help with development! :P

FWIW, Google will likely try and block the exploit by pushing an update. If you really want to root it, it's safest to keep it unplugged to prevent them patching the bootloader.. Again! Once you flash the modified firmware (update) it blocks Googles automatic updates, so it's then safe to keep it connected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Yeah, would be slick alright! Sure you can always root yours and try help with development! :P

FWIW, Google will likely try and block the exploit by pushing an update. If you really want to root it, it's safest to keep it unplugged to prevent them patching the bootloader.. Again! Once you flash the modified firmware (update) it blocks Googles automatic updates, so it's then safe to keep it connected.

if you root it will it allow you to cast US netflix?or is there a guide to show you how to do that already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

crazygeryy wrote: »
    if you root it will it allow you to cast US netflix?or is there a guide to show you how to do that already?

I'd love to know the answer to this also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

Yeah I've got 2 Teensy's I could let people use (you only need it once), but I'm abroad for about the next 2 weeks..

It'd be easy enough to do it on the side of the street with a USB battery (if you were to meet up). Saves people buying something they'd only use the once..

I dont suppose you or anyone else with a teensy is neary Ennis?

@Conar : I'm about 12 hours away, by plane! :P If you're around Dublin when I'm back, I'd gladly help!

@SScope + @crazygeryy: You can stream US Netflix and even use iPlayer, if you have command line access on your router. Otherwise rooting your Chromecast allows you to modify the DNS settings to achieve the same thing (my preferred method). I'll dig out the tutorial and post an update here when I find it (been a while!).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Is VLC supported yet?

Conar wrote: »
    I dont suppose you or anyone else with a teensy is neary Ennis?

I'm in Limerick. I am trying to find my teensy right now as I haven't used it in quite the while but once I do if you want to make your way into the city I can root it for you. It will literally be me plugging the teensy into your chromecast and pressing a button and voila its done so can meet in the street!

I'm in Limerick. I am trying to find my teensy right now as I haven't used it in quite the while but once I do if you want to make your way into the city I can root it for you. It will literally be me plugging the teensy into your chromecast and pressing a button and voila its done so can meet in the street!

That'd be sound. Let me know if you find it.
    I work shift so am off a lot of the time.

FYI it's mentioned in the release thread that "This root method requires a powered OTG cable" - i.e. for street side rooting, you'd need a USB battery.

Stock: "By default Chromecast uses Google's DNS servers, regardless of what your DHCP-supplied DNS is."

DNS bypass for routers with command line access: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2435579

Rooted: "Eureka-ROM defaults to using the DHCP-supplied DNS servers, and includes presets for common DNS relocators, or you can manually specify DNS IPs."

So, if you change the DNS server on your router (no need for command line access) then it should use that automatically (if you're using DHCP, which is most likely the case).

I assume you manually specify DNS by logging into your Chromecast via SSH (another great feature they added). I haven't got mine with me and it's a while since I was using it, so I can't remember specifically. I can see if my brother could give me remote access to mine, so I can try confirm. If that's the case, a simple script could change it back and forth for you, after initially setting it up.

FYI it's mentioned in the release thread that "This root method requires a powered OTG cable" - i.e. for street side rooting, you'd need a USB battery.

Stock: "By default Chromecast uses Google's DNS servers, regardless of what your DHCP-supplied DNS is."

DNS bypass for routers with command line access: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2435579

Rooted: "Eureka-ROM defaults to using the DHCP-supplied DNS servers, and includes presets for common DNS relocators, or you can manually specify DNS IPs."

So, if you change the DNS server on your router (no need for command line access) then it should use that automatically (if you're using DHCP, which is most likely the case).

I assume you manually specify DNS by logging into your Chromecast via SSH (another great feature they added). I haven't got mine with me and it's a while since I was using it, so I can't remember specifically. I can see if my brother could give me remote access to mine, so I can try confirm. If that's the case, a simple script could change it back and forth for you, after initially setting it up.

Hmm I do not have a usb power source though I might be able to rig an arduino to power it with a 9v battery.

Edit: I wonder if my nexus 5 will power it.

Hmm I do not have a usb power source though I might be able to rig an arduino to power it with a 9v battery.

Edit: I wonder if my nexus 5 will power it.

I have an otg, not a powered one though :'(

• Advertisement

I have an otg, not a powered one though :'(

It's no problem either way, can still do it at my house if all comes to all.

// EDIT Actually, my phone probably will power it as it's able to power an arduino just fine using an OTG cable.

I whipped one up for when I did this first. Quite simple, find an old regular USB cable, then just connect the red + black to the OTG cable and also link the shielding together (a drop of solder would be ideal). Leave the white+green disconnected for the power input. Then plug it to a charger/battery and away you go!

I originally made mine from a plain micro USB cable, making it OTG was a little awkward, but dead handy to have! Saves buying/waiting for a powered cable.. I'm all about the bargains! :P

Gotta say, having a USB battery is so handy! You could always pop in somewhere like a café/pub and borrow a socket for a minute or use a car charger for power.

I whipped one up for when I did this first. Quite simple, find an old regular USB cable, then just connect the red + black to the OTG cable and also link the shielding together (a drop of solder would be ideal). Leave the white+green disconnected for the power input. Then plug it to a charger/battery and away you go!

I originally made mine from plain a micro USB cable, making it OTG was a little awkward, but dead handy to have! Saves buying/waiting for a powered cable.. I'm all about the bargains! :P

Gotta say, having a USB battery is so handy! You could always pop in somewhere like a café/pub and borrow a socket for a minute or use a car charger for power.

Yeah that's what I was gonna do! I was just trying to figure out what to power it with. My phone has host mode so will output 5v to it so it should do it. Could also use an arduino to rectify a 9v battery to 5v as well but if the phone does then even easier.

Think I will hunt for a high capacity usb power source on payday :D

Yeah that's what I was gonna do! I was just trying to figure out what to power it with. My phone has host mode so will output 5v to it so it should do it. Could also use an arduino to rectify a 9v battery to 5v as well but if the phone does then even easier.

Think I will hunt for a high capacity usb power source on payday :D

Ive duracell usb battery for charging phones. That of use?

Ive duracell usb battery for charging phones. That of use?

Yep that will do it too!

I am still on the hunt for my teensy though. I have come across it every few weeks when I am looking for other components but when I am looking for it specifically it's the hardest thing to find! It's always the way isn't it :P

I will find it though and let you know when I can do it.

Yeah Conar, that should be all you'd need to supply power!

I snagged a 13000mah Antek one for like €30 on Amazon. Has 2.1A output for tablets too, can't fault it! Was looking at getting a battery extending case for the phone, but sure it costs more than a decent USB battery and only works on that one device!

I can see it now, guys on street corners dealing their teensy chromecast rooting. Will look very dodgy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Do I need super powers to spot the bargain in here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭dodzy

Do I need super powers to spot the bargain in here?!
    Move along. You don't need it so:p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

dodzy wrote: »
    Move along. You don't need it so:p
    Move along? You're not on the door of coppers at all sweet cheeks. They're are numerous chromecast threads with tips and user information.
    I have one chromecast but I wouldn't mind one for my second television so if this thread is bumped on my bargain alerts email and I open the thread only to read root this and usb battery supply that then I am quite entitled to be annoyed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement