Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Move along? You're not on the door of coppers at all sweet cheeks. They're are numerous chromecast threads with tips and user information.
    I have one chromecast but I wouldn't mind one for my second television so if this thread is bumped on my bargain alerts email and I open the thread only to read root this and usb battery supply that then I am quite entitled to be annoyed.

Maybe if you had read a page back you would have seen it can be got got £18 quid instead of complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

Move along? You're not on the door of coppers at all sweet cheeks. They're are numerous chromecast threads with tips and user information.
    I have one chromecast but I wouldn't mind one for my second television so if this thread is bumped on my bargain alerts email and I open the thread only to read root this and usb battery supply that then I am quite entitled to be annoyed.
    Salamanca bet me to it.................sweet cheeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Maybe if you had read a page back you would have seen it can be got got £18 quid instead of complaining.
    Oh the one from 4 days ago? Ya I saw that, 4 f#*king days ago! But the thread is being zombie bumped since then with technical questions that there are separate threads for.

Oh the one from 4 days ago? Ya I saw that, 4 f#*king days ago! But the thread is being zombie bumped since then with technical questions that there are separate threads for.

You know where the report post button is if you have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

reduced to £18 too in curry's UK until Thursday, so presumably it's reduced in curry's Ireland too? unless it's just the UK bank holiday offer. I know it was 18£ on Amazon last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

couple of comments/questions:

1) Just bought mine in PCWorld in LiffeyValley for €29 - so thanks for the bargain alert!

2) I have two TV's at home. One is slightly older and does not have a USB port. I understand that the chromecast is powered by USB? Obviously I can plug the USB into the mains, but I'm a bit short on spare sockets in that area of the sitting room and would prefer not to need yet another extension cable. A thought struck me that maybe I could use a spare USB port from another device? For example the UCP modem has a USB port. Would this work?

cian_r wrote: »

1) Just bought mine in PCWorld in LiffeyValley for €29 - so thanks for the bargain alert!

2) I have two TV's at home. One is slightly older and does not have a USB port. I understand that the chromecast is powered by USB? Obviously I can plug the USB into the mains, but I'm a bit short on spare sockets in that area of the sitting room and would prefer not to need yet another extension cable. A thought struck me that maybe I could use a spare USB port from another device? For example the UCP modem has a USB port. Would this work?

The USB port would have to be powered and I am not sure if the one on the router would be. Worth a try though!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

cian_r wrote: »

As long as the output from usb is 5V and 500ma or above you should be good to go. Only way to really know is try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

webels wrote: »
    As long as the output from usb is 5V and 500ma or above you should be good to go. Only way to really know is try.

Won't work i tried it. The supply with the chromecast is 800ma. I tried plugging it into my TV and UPC router USB ports but the 500ma supply is not enough to get it to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

The USB port would have to be powered and I am not sure if the one on the router would be. Worth a try though!

If you have a Horizon Box or Sky Box you can use the USB on those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

thanks all for the replies.

I have a few other devices near the TV that have usb ports. I'll give them all a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

paconnors wrote: »
    If you have a Horizon Box or Sky Box you can use the USB on those

Any idea if the envision box works in the same way? (Yes I'm one of those suckers)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

SScope wrote: »
    Any idea if the envision box works in the same way? (Yes I'm one of those suckers)

envision or evision?

if it's the evision box from Eircom, yes it does power the chromecast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Oops sorry really should've watched that spelling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Seems to power fine off the Sky box and the USB cable is plenty long enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I power mine from my upc Cisco router but I find it does cause the router to randomly reboot from time to time so I'd advise using a wall plug if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    I power nine from my upc Cisco router but I find it does cause the router to randomly reboot from time to time so I'd advise using a wall plug if possible.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seems to power fine off the Sky box and the USB cable is plenty long enough!

How is this? Is there two hdmi ports on the Sky Box?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

dahat wrote: »
    How is this? Is there two hdmi ports on the Sky Box?

Basically what Captain Morgan said, you can use the USB Port on the Sky box itself but I just used the one in my tele.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Basically what Captain Morgan said, you can use the USB Port on the Sky box itself but I just used the one in my tele.

Oldish telly and only 1 hdmi for which I use for Sky but if I can use the USB port for the Chromecast that's just dandy altogether.

magentis wrote: »
    :eek:

Damn auto correct! I just have one, nine would be impressive!

Oldish telly and only 1 hdmi for which I use for Sky but if I can use the USB port for the Chromecast that's just dandy altogether.

The USB on it is just to power it you still need to connect it to the tv via hdmi. You could always get a hdmi switchbox!

Here is a cheap one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Version-Switcher-Pigtail-compatible-Black/dp/B0038K6MY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409177133&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+splitter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

The usb port on a TV can supply power to Chromecast, you still need to connect to a hdmi port to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Mod*** doesn't work with chromecast someone said it did earlier I just tested it there.. anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Etnies wrote: »
    Mod*** doesn't work with chromecast someone said it did earlier I just tested it there.. anyone confirm?

Works perfect for me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

For christ sake will yous ever learn. Let's not have this thread closed like the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Is this deal finito? Looks like its back up to 39 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

slayerking wrote: »

I checked earlier this morning and it was €29. Maybe at the start of business it was changed...

Was going to get one today and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

slayerking wrote: »

What website are you guys looking at? Still 18 pound for me on Amazon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement