Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One plus one owners thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

eoinf wrote: »
    this is the replacement sim emobile gave me as i thought it was an issue with my old sim.

my old sim worked for a while but this issue started after a few hours so i bit the bullet and replaced the sim. I am going to get a pay as you go sim in the morning and try it.

Pain in the bollox.

Not sure if this will help but try turning off Custom Lock Screen in the lock screen settings. It removes that blue overlay, not sure it will help but worth a shot!
    I've had the device nearly a week now and it's great, battery is also super I find. Have over 40% after a day of decent use.
    One thing I notice is the phone drops regularly from H+ to H when in work, never see 3G but the network connection is quite hit and miss. In fairness my old S2 had some issues with signal drops but always reconnected quicker in my experience. Also find it odd it never drops below H to 3G like my S2 used to, or is H 3G? It also takes a few moments after turning on to lock on to a network signal, the S2 was instant.
    I'm with Vodafone PAYG so I'm wondering if bands are an issue? I know 4G isn't supported but didn't think the other bands would be an issue,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Oneplus one received, unboxed, rooted and system updated.
    I am messing with the settings now and downloading apps little by little, no SIM yet as I have to switch from Iphone to OPO so it will take time.
    I have the same issue as Ben, very poor wireless, 0.89 on download and 3.9 on upload (my Bluetooth is off as I never use it), that's very poor taking into consideration that I own and Iphone, Ipad and Android tablet and they all have a better connection.
    Apart from that so far so good with the phone, I just need to get used to it :) and buy some accessories, mainly a back cover for protection but it has to be very slim and light :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

alwald wrote: »
    Oneplus one received, unboxed, rooted and system updated.
    I am messing with the settings now and downloading apps little by little, no SIM yet as I have to switch from Iphone to OPO so it will take time.
    I have the same issue as Ben, very poor wireless, 0.89 on download and 3.9 on upload (my Bluetooth is off as I never use it), that's very poor taking into consideration that I own and Iphone, Ipad and Android tablet and they all have a better connection.
    Apart from that so far so good with the phone, I just need to get used to it :) and buy some accessories, mainly a back cover for protection but it has to be very slim and light :).

Very odd. I wonder are you both using the same model of router? Could be a compatibility issue or maybe the Oneplus is particularly susceptible to wireless interference. I haven't experienced any issues with either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands. Unfortunately my internet is only 7mbps so I can't max out the wireless connection. I will try a file transfer over both wireless networks later though & see what kind of speeds that throws up.

Simi wrote: »
    Very odd. I wonder are you both using the same model of router? Could be a compatibility issue or maybe the Oneplus is particularly susceptible to wireless interference. I haven't experienced any issues with either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands. Unfortunately my internet is only 7mbps so I can't max out the wireless connection. I will try a file transfer over both wireless networks later though & see what kind of speeds that throws up.

I am using the UPC router only, never messed with any settings.

Do you know how to cancel the vibrating that occurs whenever I touch the keyboard keys? tried everything and still I cant cancel it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

no idea. i know i dont have it but im wrecked to even tell you how. if i find out ill get back to you.
    soz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I am using the UPC router only, never messed with any settings.

Do you know how to cancel the vibrating that occurs whenever I touch the keyboard keys? tried everything and still I cant cancel it!!!!

If you're using the default keyboard. Settings -> Language & Input -> The little setting box beside 'Android Keyboard (AOSP)' -> Untick 'Vibrate on keypress'.

It might be an incompatibility with the UPC router. It's unusual in the modern day phones, but I've owned quite a few devices over the years that didn't play nice with certain wireless chipsets. I'm using an Asus N66U just for info.

If you're using the default keyboard. Settings -> Language & Input -> The little setting box beside 'Android Keyboard (AOSP)' -> Untick 'Vibrate on keypress'.

Nice one :)
    It might be an incompatibility with the UPC router. It's unusual in the modern day phones, but I've owned quite a few devices over the years that didn't play nice with certain wireless chipsets. I'm using an Asus N66U just for info.

Will try with a different router and report back :) cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Nice one :)

Will try with a different router and report back :) cheers!!!

Try changing the channel of your WiFi on the router. My wife's moto g wouldn't pick up the UPC network until I did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

After a full days use

Loving the phone thus far :pac:

I've yet to update to R33 though, should I? Is that the one with the battery issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭emo72

Seriously loving this phone. It looks great and feels great. A few little buggy things but I think they can be ironed out. Top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I see Oneplus have also announced they won't be producing the style swap back covers

pitty :o, I liked the idea of being able to go back to the old Nokia days and replace the back cover :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm using an Asus N66U just for info.
    I'm using an ASUS RT-N66U (same as you?) and I only have the slow broadband issue on the 2.4Ghz band if Bluetooth is turned on. On the 5Ghx band it absolutely flies and is faster than any other device I have. I'm getting the full 100Mbps UPC are supplying.

Alwald, try turning Bluetooth on, wait a few minutes and then turn it off again. then reboot your phone and try a speedtest using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest and if you have a dual band router switch to the 5Ghz channel and test that straight away also.

I found that turning off Bluetooth and rebooting increased my speed on the 2.4Ghz band from less than 2Mbps to over 50Mbps.

As I use Bluetooth and have a very fast 5Ghz band on my Wifi network Ileave Bluetooth on and just use the 5Ghz network. If I'm out and about and have to use a 2.4Ghz network I'll either live with the slow speed or turn off Bluetooth and reboot the phone.

Hope that helps.

Let us know how your speed tests go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Phone finally arrived at my parcel forwarding company for shipping to Australia. Ordered the phone 8 days ago. USPS is slow! Comgateway shipping fully confirmed. Should have the phone early next week.

Overall paid $445 AUD. Quite happy with that.

Excited...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

irishmover wrote: »
    Phone finally arrived at my parcel forwarding company for shipping to Australia. Ordered the phone 8 days ago. USPS is slow! Comgateway shipping fully confirmed. Should have the phone early next week.

Overall paid $445 AUD. Quite happy with that.

Excited...

Does that work out around €300 ? That's really cheap.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Does that work out around €300 ? That's really cheap.

Yeh current exchange rate its €310.

What have you guys been paying?

its ok, he has to use the phone upside down though.

ill get my coat :cool:

daytob wrote: »
    its ok, he has to use the phone upside down though.

ill get my coat :cool:

I think you'll find it has been all of us at home in Ireland who have been upside down.

hobodyer-large.jpg

I'm on an Australian forum similar to Boards and one person let his OPO fall and smashed the screen.

Here's a company who replaces screens if anyone has the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

tried an 02 sim and the same problem. keeps asking me to enter the sim pin.

i used my other phone to disable the sim pin on both the emobile sim and the 02 sim and neither can find signal nor can i manually search for a service provider.

have i got a dodgy phone or worse still have i fecking damaged it?

Anyone had to return the phone yet?

going to be a bit of a pain sending it back through parcel motel too.

pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Might sound silly but are you putting the sim in the right way ?

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Yep.

It will actually ask for the pin and unlock for about 5 seconds so it is seeing the sims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭emo72

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Yeah. I found it awkward inserting the Sim. Couldn't tell which way was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh current exchange rate its €310.

What have you guys been paying?

It's working out at around 360 maybe a little more depending on exchange rates as well.

Yep.

It will actually ask for the pin and unlock for about 5 seconds so it is seeing the sims.

Have you tried a factory reset?

BenThere wrote: »
    Have you tried a factory reset?

yep,

Actually made the problem worse.

yep,

Actually made the problem worse.

I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.

I suggest you summarise the problem over on https://forums.oneplus.net and see if they can help and/or search for threads dealing with SIM related issues.

Sorted!!

Thank god.

Decided to call into emobile and tried a 3rd sim with success. Looks like whoever was swapping the sim first time made a balls of it. Reset the phone with the working sim in and it seemed to save apns and the likes.

Thanks for everyone's help.

delighted you got sorted, nothing worse than having that nagging issue if you got a dud one. expect reviews and hints and tips. chop chop ;)

A general warning here all. I'm on the Vodafone Super Red 6GB data bundle and all you can eat calls etc. I just happened to check my APN settings when I was messing around with the menus and I noticed I was on isp.vodafone.ie instead of live.vodafone.ie which I recalled was the "normal" APN. I contacted Vodafone and they said only data accessed via the live.vodafone.ie APN is included in my bundle and anything I use via other APN's is billable at the marginal per MB rate :eek:

I was on my phone for 6 days before I spotted this. In fairness to Vodafone they checked their billing system and confirmed that for the first three days of use I hadn't been billed for using isp.vodafone.ie (they can only check up to 3 days ago) so it might be that in practice they don't actually bill you for being on the wrong APN but it's best to check.

I remember getting a bill of over €1,000 years ago for basically using the wrong APN whilst I was in France for a few weeks. Man that was depressing. They chopped a good bit off it after a bit of argy bargy with them but I still ended up a few hundred Euro out of pocket all because I was using the wrong APN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

^^ one of the reasons why i just can't bare going bill pay, payg for me! easy to notice some misap when my 20€ goes after a day

• Advertisement

I am unsure if I have to post this question here or not, I am planning to switch operator and keep using a pay as you go service, I will buy a bundle for 7.5GB of internet, I have free wifi at home and at work but elsewhere I will need to use the 3G. If my wireless and 3G are on at the same time (when I am at home or at work) will the oneplus one pick up the wireless first or the 3G or there is no exact rule and it's up to me to switch from wifi to 3G via the settings? thanks.

Advertisement