Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One plus one owners thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

check the previous answer from blade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

alwald wrote: »
    I never owned an android so my question might appear simple/ridiculous, I am just trying to learn as much as possible before making any mistake.
    Is rooting essential/important in order to enjoy the phone? what is rooting? is there any risk? would you recommend to root the phone or just use it with the latest software available? cheers.
    I was a noob to rooting android, i did jailbreak iphone 4 on a few ios and it was much easier than that!

I Used this guide
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-oneplus-one-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/

took me about 20 mins to do it as i was very careful but i never felt i was going to damage the phone in any way.

Lets just say i can do things with the phone that can't really be discussed on boards, so for me personally it's definitely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭alwald

KilOit wrote: »
    I was a noob to rooting android, i did jailbreak iphone 4 on a few ios and it was much easier than that!

I Used this guide
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-oneplus-one-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/

took me about 20 mins to do it as i was very careful but i never felt i was going to damage the phone in any way.

Lets just say i can do things with the phone that can't really be discussed on boards, so for me personally it's definitely worth it

Cheers, that's seems to be the safest way of doing it, one of the videos I posted (the one without wiping the data) is quite old and doesn't work after the latest OTA's.
    Really looking forward to the android experience, quite exciting as the IOS is quite boring, it's a good, simple and efficient OS but it's clear that it's very restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Cheers Blade,
    Blade wrote: »
    1. That's was supposed to have been addressed to some extent on 33R, they were supposed to have made it brighter but clearly it's still not bright enough, so they must have brightened it as much as possible. That's obviously the max those LEDs can take, so looks like you'll just have to suck that one up! :)
    and so I shall, it's only a minor point.
    2. I would bet that one of your running apps is conflicting with you sideloading other apps. Happened to me on my TV box, normally it would be one of the apps that require root, in my case it was Droidmote server. You'll have to go in to your running apps and kill them one by one starting with the most likely, and keep checking till you get the "Install" tab activated. When you find out which one is causing it, you'll know to disable it any time you need to sideload.
    It looks like it was Dropbox related. I keep a selection of APK's on my Dropbox account specifically for sideloading. When I selected the APK's from Dropbox they would download OK but not install. When I physically copied them to the Downloads folder and used File Manager they installed no problem. Perhaps there is a permissions conflict in that you can't be using Dropbox AND installing an app at the same time?
    3. My OPO connects perfectly on 2.4g, so I think it must be down to your router or settings on your router or the OPO. Having said that my eFibre router from Eircom does not appear to be 5g so I can only connect at 2.4g anyway. I get practically the same speeds on Wifi 2.4g on the OPO as I do with the wired connection. So no idea what your problem is but I take it you tried the Auto setting and also tried changing the Wifi region code on the OPO?
    I do have Auto and I've set the region code to Europe but it hasn't made any difference I'm still getting 10 times the download speed on 5Ghz than I am on 2.4Ghz. Not really a biggie ATM as I'm happy to use 5Ghz at home but most networks, including my office network, are 2.4Ghz so if there is an issue with the OPO not working properly on 2.4Ghz I'd like to suss it out. I'll take my query over to the WiFi threads and see what I can find out. If it's an OPO issue or a setting etc I'll post back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

BenThere wrote: »
    Cheers Blade,

and so I shall, it's only a minor point.

It looks like it was Dropbox related. I keep a selection of APK's on my Dropbox account specifically for sideloading. When I selected the APK's from Dropbox they would download OK but not install. When I physically copied them to the Downloads folder and used File Manager they installed no problem. Perhaps there is a permissions conflict in that you can't be using Dropbox AND installing an app at the same time?

I do have Auto and I've set the region code to Europe but it hasn't made any difference I'm still getting 10 times the download speed on 5Ghz than I am on 2.4Ghz. Not really a biggie ATM as I'm happy to use 5Ghz at home but most networks, including my office network, are 2.4Ghz so if there is an issue with the OPO not working properly on 2.4Ghz I'd like to suss it out. I'll take my query over to the WiFi threads and see what I can find out. If it's an OPO issue or a setting etc I'll post back here.

Does your router run Wireless AC? This runs on the 5Ghz range and is 10 times faster than the last generation Wireless N. This might be the reason you are seeing such significant gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

So is anyone in here using the OPO on meteor 4g? I switched over last night but don't seem to getting it. I assume that the phone signal icon in the notification bar changes to 4g or LTE or some such as opposed to just 3G, H, or E.

Anyone know if there's a way of telling (an app or something) if youre phone is 4g ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Having issues getting my friends one to pick up 3 LTE. Others on here reported it working fine but we cant manage it.

TssWc5c.jpg
    0JwD4hB.jpg

IMT means the 2100Mhz band but three are 1800Mhz....

twam2008 wrote: »
    Does your router run Wireless AC?

Hi Twam,

I'm not sure what "Wireless AC" means. Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi Twam,

Its a new standard of Wifi, rated at 1300/1700mbps vs the current 300mbps. The phone supports it but very few routers do yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

Anyone notice it's less buttery smooth than the nexus?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its a new standard of Wifi, rated at 1300/1700mbps vs the current 300mbps. The phone supports it but very few routers do yet.

Thanks Ed. Na, I don't think my router, which is an Asus RT-N66U, has that standard as it's a two year old router.

Besides, it's 300mbps capability is more than enough. I can get 100mbps on the 5Gh channel but only 2mbps on the 2.4Ghz. There isn't an issue with the routers capacity and won't be until the broadband speed approaches 300mbps but that's a while away yet.

I can get decent speeds on the 2.4Ghz channel using other wireless devices but not the OPO.

Hi Twam,

Each generation of wireless changes, so routers for the last five years would have run B, G, N etc, these are each past versions of wireless, like USB1, USB 2, USB 3 etc. Wireless AC is the latest generation of Wireless. In order for it to work, you need a router that supports AC, and a device that Supports AC, the Oneplus supports AC, so if you're router does too you will be using the latest generation of Wireless Technology which is about 10x faster than the previous generation.

Edit: Just had a look at your router and it doesn't support AC, so scrap all that :)

There would be less interference on the 5GHz channel, but doubt that would offer big speed gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hootanany wrote: »
    How long does it take to come ordered on the 11th and its still Processing?

Says complete now how long do you think before I get my hands on it:D

There would be less interference on the 5GHz channel, but doubt that would offer big speed gains.

I used the inSSIDer app to set up my router so my 2.4Ghz network is set to channels 4 to 8 to avoid interference from other 2.4Ghz netwroks nearby and the 5Ghz network sits all by itself on channels 36 to 40.

I'm pretty sure interference isn't an issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

That's odd, I do exactly the same thing with Dropbox, I've an APK folder but I can install straight from it, as soon as I click on the file the option pops up. I just tested it there now and it's still working and I am on the latest version of Dropbox but still on 25R on the OPO, so might be an issue on 33R.
    but most networks, including my office network, are 2.4Ghz so if there is an issue with the OPO not working properly on 2.4Ghz I'd like to suss it out.

It'll probably work fine on your office network, I haven't had any problems with any 2.4g only networks. Let us know when you test it please.

It'll probably work fine on your office network, I haven't had any problems with any 2.4g only networks. Let us know when you test it please.
    I hope so and will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

does maps navigation work on this out of the box?

on tesco mobile I can say it works a treat. no issues finding any of the ****e places I might go to, and holds the signal very well.

Can someone try "okay Google call......." It hears and starts the dialer but then doesn't make the call. Can someone try it?

I would but it doesnt understand by accent :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

daytob wrote: »
    I would but it doesnt understand by accent :rolleyes:

Are you saying "howya Google are ya awrigh?" Cos that won't work!

im not michael barrymore ;)

im not michael barrymore ;)

Haha no doubt. Anyway it works with some contacts but funnily enough not when I try to call the missus. It's probably Google's way of shielding me from grief.

Problem identified if not sorted. There's a known conflict on the 2.4Ghz band on the OPO when Bluetooth is turned on, see https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/BACON-1073

I turned off Bluetooth, rebooted the phone, switched from the 5Ghz band to tht e2.4Ghz band and I was instantly getting over 50Mbps downnload speed whereas previously I couldn't muster 2Mbps.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse as I use Bluetooth a lot but it's not the end of the world and I hope CyanogenMod will address in a future FW update.

Very handy to know though Ben, good work :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

emo72 wrote: »
    Haha no doubt. Anyway it works with some contacts but funnily enough not when I try to call the missus. It's probably Google's way of shielding me from grief.

Now that's what I call a 'Smart' Phone!

Very handy to know though Ben, good work :)

As it's a known issue by CM, I'm sure they'll fix it. That's the great thing about having CM, any other manufacturer's implementation of Android and you'd be lucky if they'd ever address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

just got my phone , but it seems to be stuck in a loop of constantly asking me for my sim pin and cant find my network.

Im on emobile.

Not sure what the problem is.

Anyone any thoughts on this problem

is it an old sim card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

is it an old sim card?

Not the newest. I'll pop in and grab a new one.

Advertisement