Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities: Skylines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Actually, now that you brought the game back in my mind I might play as well tonight. I might even buy the Mass Transit DLC full price, the reviews are really good for that and maybe (hopefully) it fixes some of the traffic issues.

Which map do you play ?

Also, do you play left-handed traffic. It feels more natural but I think the left-handed traffic is bugged. The doors for busses are on the wrong side. There was also something wrong with HGVs exiting industrial buildings but I can't remember what that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Haithabu wrote: »
    Actually, now that you brought the game back in my mind I might play as well tonight. I might even buy the Mass Transit DLC full price, the reviews are really good for that and maybe (hopefully) it fixes some of the traffic issues.

Which map do you play ?

Also, do you play left-handed traffic. It feels more natural but I think the left-handed traffic is bugged. The doors for busses are on the wrong side. There was also something wrong with HGVs exiting industrial buildings but I can't remember what that was.

I will load maps that are generally flat,Very basic really to maximize space.
    Probably do the game a lot different to most,really focus on the detailing and every aspect has to make since,Will plan all services in a area. That's where the custom asset's really make this game come alive.

Yes,Left handed,Never noticed a problem but maybe it was the mod's i was using,Been a year since i last played as its very addictive and i have not had the system to run it with the amount of assets i like.
    Just putting together a new PC at the moment,could not hold off any longer.

Would be nice to have more Irish buildings loaded on workshop,Hopefully in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This game is addictive - still trying to figure it out but it's definitely miles better than Sim City

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mc Love wrote: »
    This game is addictive - still trying to figure it out but it's definitely miles better than Sim City

Anything is better than that pathetic excuse for a game!

Anyone got any tips for trains? Mine are all stuck and barely moving..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Try have as few road crossings as possible and keep your commercial and pedestrian lines separate.

Try have as few road crossings as possible and keep your commercial and pedestrian lines separate.

saw a clip last night where some user had many lines, like a rail yard type set up so that trains could bypass.

My city is coming back to life after I did a huge road network upgrade. it was teetering on the edge of death for a while, had a bit of money to spend, so I'll sort out the train network. It really is a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Is there any way to have small compact roundabouts european style?

All i can find in vanilla or the workshop are these yanky monstrosities that take up the size of a football pitch.

saw a clip last night where some user had many lines, like a rail yard type set up so that trains could bypass.

My city is coming back to life after I did a huge road network upgrade. it was teetering on the edge of death for a while, had a bit of money to spend, so I'll sort out the train network. It really is a mess!

There's some decent assets on the workshop for train stations that help; ones that combine the monorail, subway and rail, for example. There's one that has a bypass built in to it. What I usually do is have two lines running side by side, one commercial one passenger, and have say a large roundabout style interchange somewhere outside the city where the incoming outside connections can be separated to their respective lines.
    CruelCoin wrote: »
    Is there any way to have small compact roundabouts european style?

All i can find in vanilla or the workshop are these yanky monstrosities that take up the size of a football pitch.

I usually build small ones myself. Using the curved road tool build 5x5 (segments) curved roads until they connect to form a small roundabout. Uses up a little more space but the improved flow of traffic is worth the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I watched a speedrun on youtuber where a guy got his city to 80,000 citizens in 1 hour 11 minutes. Crazy! I've been playing for days and not even at 50k!

Got some useful tips though. Parks and services are the key!

• Advertisement

Once I got to 30k pop, the rci for residential decided to bottom out.

Anyone got any tips for trains? Mine are all stuck and barely moving..
    I came back to this game recently and continued developing an existing city - got a population over 100k for the first time and by following some basic principles I have road traffic flowing well - then I realised my trains were in trouble.

Now my project is to separate international passenger trains, local passenger trains, international freight and local freight into four different networks - no point having random trains trying to make drop offs all over the map.

Check all your junctions to be sure trains can pass each other comfortably - eg that a train waiting to enter a station isn't being blocked by a train waiting to cross the same path.

I also experienced my first death wave, I inadvertently cut power to 2/3 of my city without noticing and lost more than half of the population.
    Once power was restored new people moved in quickly but they all started dieing at the same rate a few years later. It took a while to figure out what was happening.

Another way to handle trains is to build bypass routes and long feeder tracks through your stations.

Played another couple of hours today. So far, so good. My current city just hit 20k and I'm making 18k a week with population still coming in. Having trouble with my industry though, not enough workers so a lot is being abandoned but demand is still high.

I have bus routes and metro but no outside trains or ships yet. That's for another time.

Oh the dreaded death wave! Whenever I see people waiting for the hearse, i just bulldoze the building. I've pretty much got my traffic sorted, it's always around the 80 mark which I think is good.

Yeah the train is going to be one of my big projects. Think I'll wait a while before doing anything with it though, as the outside lines will eventually end up being part of the city.

I'm hooked by the game now, even dreampt of the grid the other night :D But I have been watching imperialjedi's video's and have to say theyre probably the best as he doesnt use infinite money, or mods when doing tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I can't go back from mods at this stage. Although many things that used to be mods are now in the expansions, so game is improving.

It's a cracking game. I find myself in work with a pen and paper redrawing roundabout junctions as any other junction.

OSI wrote: »
    I find if you build up your "city" as smaller cities interconnected with highways, trains etc, they're alot easier to manage and population growth was a lot quicker. I could up to ~200k population pretty easily that way without running into significant issues.

Might try that for my next one

I've been doing the same lately and it seems to be working well, modular designs with each area having a specific purpose.

I had a lot of traffic, which was making the death spikes worse. So I decided to ban trucks, from pretty much all non highway roads, and have railyards connecting industry to commercial everywhere.

Then I hit proper levels of train traffic bedlam. No easy escape routes.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:864&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A864&background-color=black

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:864&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A864&background-color=black

Thats a lot of trains! I've sorted the rail, bus and metro now. No gridlock to report on any rail network, the separate lines really helped, i blew about 700k on the rail infrastructure, but I'm back up at 1 million plus in balance, and paid off the extra loans I took out. Currently at 54k pop - looking forward to getting my hands on the airport and maybe a few other bonuses.

Are there any mods in the workshop or buildings that are worth downloading?

Having T junctions and cross roads are a massive contributor to traffic. One thing I've found really useful is try to have Y shaped junctions instead. They don't introduce a stop and traffic flows really fast. I'd highly recommend the mass transit dlc, the improvement to traffic AI is worth it.

Started this up for the first time in a while last night (I blame this thread entirely), completely forgot how you can get sucked in so quickly.

• Advertisement

For mods I recommend the Move It! mod. I also use Automatic Bulldoze.

I have some assets too but I'm on a laptop so don't want to go too crazy. My favourites are some circular parks, they fit nicely within roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I must get back into this. I started a city when the game first came out and kept running into the same garbage issues.

Thats a lot of trains! I've sorted the rail, bus and metro now. No gridlock to report on any rail network, the separate lines really helped, i blew about 700k on the rail infrastructure, but I'm back up at 1 million plus in balance, and paid off the extra loans I took out. Currently at 54k pop - looking forward to getting my hands on the airport and maybe a few other bonuses.

Are there any mods in the workshop or buildings that are worth downloading?

Hmm, I guess I can post a few mods now and maybe later I can post a few screenshots showing how those mods have improved my enjoyment of the game. One problem I have is that the best mods are usually incorporated into the base game pretty quickly so I can't remember what is a mod and what is not.

One mod I find absolutely vital is "move it". I mostly use it for roads. It allows you to place a road and then click and drag the nodes to move them around, and click and drag between the nodes to change the curve. You can also raise and lower nodes and importantly you can delete or move pillars underneath bridges. It makes intersections way easier.

Another mod which is very good is Traffic Management President Edition. You can click on any junction and control which lanes can do what turns. You can also click on individual lanes of roads and manage what traffic can use them, so you can make bus lanes, emergency vehicle lanes etc. You can make roads delivery only. It also gives you a few new road types.

Finally I have a mod that allows you to "plop props" - I can't remember the name. Which kind of enables you to place random objects in the same way you can place tress. For example you can dot some shipping containers around a port, or you can draw a fence around a lot. There is a mod called the "prop line tool" that allows you to draw these things in lines. So if you want a line of trees you just draw the line like a road.

In terms of buildings there are a heap of cool ones, my favourite is the sunken train station, mostly because I think the Vanilla train stations look particularly bad.

There's two recycling plants on the workshop, on standard one advanced that are really good, I don't play without them anymore.

errlloyd wrote:
    Finally I have a mod that allows you to "plop props" - I can't remember the name. Which kind of enables you to place random objects in the same way you can place tress. For example you can dot some shipping containers around a port, or you can draw a fence around a lot.

It's called Rico. I see alot of players on youtube and twitch use it to build some incredibly detailed cities. I just don't have the patience for that level of detail :P

It's called Rico. I see alot of players on youtube and twitch use it to build some incredibly detailed cities. I just don't have the patience for that level of detail :P

It's actually not RICO. Rico does something else, and I completely agree it, does something I am not arsed doing!

Kind of surprised that there hasnt been a recycling plant in the game!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Prop Line Tool and Prop Precision

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's actually not RICO. Rico does something else, and I completely agree it, does something I am not arsed doing!

Oh right, sorry. Got confused as they are similar.

Watching Keralis' latest CS series and all he does is detail. It boggles my mind the time and effort he puts into one area or building. It's fascinating!

• Advertisement

It's probably an OCD thing...

Advertisement