Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities: Skylines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is there any guide for newbies?

Loads on youtube etc if you need to know what dos what.

But as for city design/layout, its way more fun to **** up a few times than to follow a guide.

Build City, **** up, Learn from it, Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I stuck with it and my city is now up to 30,000 citizens. I have a massive garbage problem though so that's enough of a challenge to keep me interested. Also, I suck at traffic planning so I might give tidying up the roads a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I stuck with it and my city is now up to 30,000 citizens. I have a massive garbage problem though so that's enough of a challenge to keep me interested. Also, I suck at traffic planning so I might give tidying up the roads a go.

Ring Roads are key! A lot of traffic from the region is just passing through, with no interest in stopping in your city. Add a faster route around the side using motorways to divert that traffic and reduce congestion in the city center
    To encourage the use of the ring road you can increase the speed limit using Traffic++ or traffic manager, I forget which one but its one of those

Lockheed wrote:
    Ring Roads are key! A lot of traffic from the region is just passing through, with no interest in stopping in your city. Add a faster route around the side using motorways to divert that traffic and reduce congestion in the city center To encourage the use of the ring road you can increase the speed limit using Traffic++ or traffic manager, I forget which one but its one of those

Ooh nice tip! I'll give that a go. Thank you!

Ooh nice tip! I'll give that a go. Thank you!

It depends on the way your city was built, but adding ring roads always worked for me. Tell us if there was any difference, and one last thing, don't be afraid to knock down neighbourhoods or to build long tunnels, it's worth it in the end

• Advertisement

Lockheed wrote: »
    It depends on the way your city was built, but adding ring roads always worked for me. Tell us if there was any difference, and one last thing, don't be afraid to knock down neighbourhoods or to build long tunnels, it's worth it in the end

I was just thinking about knocking out a whole section but a little afraid to do it. But as I've been dithering I've been losing citizens so I think I'm going to have to for the greater good! I'll keep you posted :D

Your garbage trucks could be stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

New DLC called Match Day is out. It's free to download on steam.

Haven't been playing a whole of CS recently. May give this DLC a shot :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Went back playing this over the weekend, was doing well. Had just spent 2 hours setting up public transport (bus routes and metro) and expanding into two new map areas when the power went in my estate for a few seconds...hadn't saved at all and lost all the work I'd done :(

Lesson...get the autosave mod!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

On my 6th city now. I'm convinced the key to a healthy city with a high population is a well designed train and subway system. In my previous cities, they have been based on roads with the trains and subways being kinda tacked on with the odd bus here and there. Therefore, when the city gets to be 100k+, the traffic problems and clogged public transport problems kick in.

In my latest, I'm trying to design the city to be completely modular; divide the city into 4-5 arbitrary sections with each section having a train station. Each train station/section is connected in a 'ring' around the city. But one extra train station connected by short road to another train station which is connected to external connections to allow for visitors to the city. Each train station then sits right beside a subway station which goes around the module it is in.

My theory is that the main commuter trains can transport the most amount of people fast over long distances. By cutting off this rail line from the outside world, I don't have those silly external trains coming in to deliver 3 people to some far away station and clogging everything up. Instead, one train comes in, ~20 people depart the external train station, join the commuter rail line and from there can go anywhere in the city.

I also have a completely separate train line for industry and commerce. So far, I have plans to have two 'rings' interconnecting the industrial areas and commerce which are connected to the outside world in a similar fashion to the commuter lines, detailed above.

With the above rail system, I managed to have a big commercial area disconnected by road and only connected to the rest of the city by subway and industry/commerce rail. It allows workers, customers and goods to get in and out with no road traffic whatsoever. However, one particular train station is always busy as hell and as such, has caused the commerce area to complain about lack of customers, despite high commercial demand.

It's not perfect, but it's getting there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I really should scroll up :(

On my 6th city now. I'm convinced the key to a healthy city with a high population is a well designed train and subway system. In my previous cities, they have been based on roads with the trains and subways being kinda tacked on with the odd bus here and there. Therefore, when the city gets to be 100k+, the traffic problems and clogged public transport problems kick in.

In my latest, I'm trying to design the city to be completely modular; divide the city into 4-5 arbitrary sections with each section having a train station. Each train station/section is connected in a 'ring' around the city. But one extra train station connected by short road to another train station which is connected to external connections to allow for visitors to the city. Each train station then sits right beside a subway station which goes around the module it is in.

My theory is that the main commuter trains can transport the most amount of people fast over long distances. By cutting off this rail line from the outside world, I don't have those silly external trains coming in to deliver 3 people to some far away station and clogging everything up. Instead, one train comes in, ~20 people depart the external train station, join the commuter rail line and from there can go anywhere in the city.

I also have a completely separate train line for industry and commerce. So far, I have plans to have two 'rings' interconnecting the industrial areas and commerce which are connected to the outside world in a similar fashion to the commuter lines, detailed above.

With the above rail system, I managed to have a big commercial area disconnected by road and only connected to the rest of the city by subway and industry/commerce rail. It allows workers, customers and goods to get in and out with no road traffic whatsoever. However, one particular train station is always busy as hell and as such, has caused the commerce area to complain about lack of customers, despite high commercial demand.

It's not perfect, but it's getting there :)

I've done this before in a tropical island city and it worked really well until my trains started backing up. It's definelty the best way to handle your public transport in a city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

For the trains, you should have three different sets of tracks. One for commuter trains, one for freight and one for tourists. If you have three sets of tracks and ample intersections/crossings, it'll be a smooth operation.

I would normally build a metropolis city in the centre of the map for commercial and office. Industrial is on the edge with tunnels leading into the city and different motorway junctions and to freight transport. Residential is suburban and small towns littered all over the map. Metro in the city only and connects to train stations.

Commuter trains into outskirts of the city.

For traffic, two ring motorways is required. One on the outskirts of the city with multiple junctions depending on the size of the city and another motorway ring further out. It's useful for traffic. I also put higher speed limits on the outer motorway so trucks would utilise it more rather than the inner ring.

I'm not at home just yet but I'll post an example of what I have sometime later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

ok im planning on starting (another) new city, any recommendations on the map?

I was thinking of this or this :P just because i can :P

Any decent suggestions?

sirboby wrote:
    just because i can

Any decent suggestions?

Both look challenging. I'd go with the second map myself. More room to build!

I haven't been able to play anymore. The game is lagging rather badly for me and I'm not sure why. I only have a few mods installed and a few assets. I'm not sure what's caused this. :( I will keep trying. I was just getting started on fixing my roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

sirboby wrote: »
    ok im planning on starting (another) new city, any recommendations on the map?

I was thinking of this or this :P just because i can :P

Any decent suggestions?

Roundabouts, lots and lots of roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I haven't been able to play anymore. The game is lagging rather badly for me and I'm not sure why. I only have a few mods installed and a few assets. I'm not sure what's caused this. :( I will keep trying. I was just getting started on fixing my roads!

Disable all mods and assets and if you are able to play the game without any issues, it's one of those mods.

If not, remove the game, defrag the hard drive, restart PC and reinstall the game with no applications open.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Disable all mods and assets and if you are able to play the game without any issues, it's one of those mods.

If not, remove the game, defrag the hard drive, restart PC and reinstall the game with no applications open.

Thanks. I'll do that. I have a feeling it's a mod I just can't remember the last one I installed. I only have like three or four so it won't be hard to figure out which.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

The sales Of Cities:Skylines surpassed 2 million units now!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A fantastic City built by reddit user joeyjoejoehshabadawa

This genuinely puts all my stuff over the last two years to absolute shame and he's racked up around 150 hours on this city alone. Absolutely astonishing.

linky here

T7jXK0C.jpg

[IM]https://i.imgur.com/bAyN2b7.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

That is odd, I don't see the traffic jams.

I have a small town the size of Tullamore, have three 6-lane motorways going in and out and still it's full of traffic jams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Must be using some amount of mods! The guy must have literally no life

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

really?

Have you not played a game for close to 150 hours?

I rarely if ever buy a game that isn't gonna offer me that sort of time sync.

I think ive played BF3 for over 300 hours,pretty sure world of Warcraft more since its release many years ago,sure the witcher 3 offers 200+ hours gameplay and thats before expansions [cant confirm this as ive only played a few hours of it] but you get my drift :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah I saw my Civilization V clock last night. North of 400 hours. And I played Civ IV much more than I played Civ V. I dread to think of the months I sunk into Football/Championship Manager over the last two decades.

Hell, I'm finishing my third Red Dead Redemption play-through at the moment - that's 100 hours across the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Had a roommate in college who was big in Starcraft. Loads of people said he had no life. Funny thing was those people spent more time in single day watching soaps than he'd spend playing Starcraft.

Everyone has different interests. Don't think it's fair to assume anything carries any less "life worth" points. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I completely forgot I had this game , I must get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Going to get back into this finally,Have managed to stay away for over a year as cities skylines is just too addictive for me.
    Recently watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_Avw_19Fo and the detailing is really amazing.
    Would be great to have some more Irish assets though.

I binge watched ImperialJedi's Cities Skylines tutorials and am back playing it. My city is at 5,000 now and I'm doing somewhat better for having gotten some tips. He's a town planner in real life so his tips are pretty useful. Having said that, my city doesn't look the prettiest and my roads are all over the place but traffic flows nicely and population growth is fairly steady. Cross fingers it stays that way! I'm working on getting an area ready for a university and some high density residential. We'll see how it goes!

Edit: Oops, I think I got confused. Not sure ImperialJedi is a town planner or not, BUT there's a user named Sam Bur who IS and whose tutorials I've also watched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Going to get back into this finally,Have managed to stay away for over a year as cities skylines is just too addictive for me.
    Recently watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_Avw_19Fo and the detailing is really amazing.
    Would be great to have some more Irish assets though.
    I also thought about playing this again after a long time but I think I want to wait until the Mass Transit DLC is on sale.

I remember what put me off is too much traffic. You have a city the size of Tullamore with 4 three-lanes-each-side motorways going in and it's not enough to cope with the traffic going away from your farms.

And inside the town they were only using one lane if you have three lanes so traffic was a nightmare. I remember traffic was somehow better in Sim City 4 because there the vehicle calculates the fastest road while here it's the shortest road. So you plan well ahead and make a ring road motorway around your city but all through traffic still goes right into your town.

Advertisement