Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities: Skylines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Mc Love wrote:
    Kind of surprised that there hasnt been a recycling plant in the game!

The upcoming Eco-city DLC looks good and is bound to have recycling options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm seriously hooked, even logged on this morning before work. Had to get to 65k pop to unlock the next square and to complete my trash highway, much like this guy did https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-way-to-manage-garbage-in-Cities-Skylines - will be interesting if it works, because it cost me an absolute truckload of money. I also put down a Nuclear plant, lets hope its not like sim city and can go kaboom!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm seriously hooked, even logged on this morning before work. Had to get to 65k pop to unlock the next square and to complete my trash highway, much like this guy did https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-way-to-manage-garbage-in-Cities-Skylines - will be interesting if it works, because it cost me an absolute truckload of money. I also put down a Nuclear plant, lets hope its not like sim city and can go kaboom!

Yeah I almost always restrict my trash to one place and then try and keep that place well connected with the city. I have never built a dedicated highway for it. But it is an interesting concept. I guess you could also open this underground highway up to other services vehicles (if you have traffic manager, you can just ban normal cars from using it). It might help Hearses and Fire engines work better.

I got my city to 31,800 and was so excited as the next milestone is 32k only to have people start moving out. :( Now I'm at 30k. Darn it!

I have industrial sectors dotted around my map and include garbage in each of them so it gets collected faster. So far it's worked for me.

Anyway, going back to play a bit more now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I usually have the recycling centres in the industrial zones. I try design my industrial areas with just one, one way entrance. Then have a one-way underground highway connecting out to both the highway and main city / residential areas. Seems to work well for both traffic and garbage trucks.

Had a look last night at some of the scenarios that the Mass Transit DLC adds, one of them in order to win one of the conditions is to get your city population up to 250k :eek: and never have your finances go into the negative. My PC struggles when the populating gets up around 100k as is...250k yeah that's never gonna happen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Had a look last night at some of the scenarios that the Mass Transit DLC adds, one of them in order to win one of the conditions is to get your city population up to 250k :eek: and never have your finances go into the negative. My PC struggles when the populating gets up around 100k as is...250k yeah that's never gonna happen :rolleyes:

As far as I know the game stops simulating individual people after around 70 or 80k. So the performance after that should even out.

errlloyd wrote: »
    As far as I know the game stops simulating individual people after around 70 or 80k. So the performance after that should even out.

Oh really, ok maybe i'll start going for more bigger cities now so. always left my cities at around 100k because of that

I got my city to 31,800 and was so excited as the next milestone is 32k only to have people start moving out. :( Now I'm at 30k. Darn it!

This was happening me last night at half twelve, and it took ages for it to go up to 65k, played this morning and its at 80k now.

I'm definitely thinking about restricting the highway to just service vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hadn't played this in months but got back into it this week. It's fun looking back over my older cities. As it turns out, my highest population city was my very first, but it was an awfyl, awful city with so many problems. I always got to a point where I realised 'screw this' and started again.

I went along with the modular design for my last few cities and it worked really well. I would have high density commercial centres only accessible by freight train, passenger train and subway so that local road traffic never got hit and it worked well until the 100k mark. Then the problems crept in such as me suddenly realising building commercial centres at the edge of my city was a bad idea as freight trains would be backed up for miles.

IMO, the best thing about this game is that as soon as you think you have it figured out, then BAM, you realise your latest creation is a pile of crap and you in fact know nothing.

Then the problems crept in such as me suddenly realising building commercial centres at the edge of my city was a bad idea as freight trains would be backed up for miles.

So I have this problem, and I am not sure what to do about it.

I have 3 huge industrial parks, with 6 stations, and 5 big commercial centres with one station each. The problem is that instead of all the deliveries going from industrial station, to one commercial park, each commercial park takes smaller deliveries from each station - but adds a full sized train! So if I build one more commercial park - it creates 6 more trains effectively (one for each supplier station).

I was thinking of having all my commercial centres fed by just one designated industrial park. But I was wondering how easy it is to balance supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What I haven't done re train lines is separate industrial freight lines from commercial freight lines, which was mentioned above. I always had industry and commerce both connected to each other and each one of those lines was connected by a station/road/station loop to the outside world.

Separating the two, but also having both connected by road loop to the outside world might have solved some of the issues I've been having.

Separating the two, but also having both connected by road loop to the outside world might have solved some of the issues I've been having.

Okay, so coincidentally I tried exactly that since my last post.

Effectively I build a transit centre. 2 main freight rail stations that linked only to industry. Another three that linked to commercial buildings. And a final one that linked to the outside. They were put on a one way system that was a closed loop (with one outside link for service vehicles).

Does it work? Sort of... There is still horrific industrial rail traffic on the lines that link to industrial sites. If you look carefully at the train station in the top left, you will see the lines coming out of both ends of it are one way. It is a loop of one way track that goes through two freight stations in industrial sites and comes back. It is wedged. Trains are nose to tail the whole way around. So in summary, if your tracks are overloaded they are overloaded. All dividing the lines does is help you identify which ones are overloaded.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:864&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A864&background-color=black

I spent a couple of hours on my city tonight; I upgraded the roads in my residential area to tree lined streets and paid more attention to beautifying the city. It worked. I hit the 44k population milestone with population still climbing.

I did have a hilarious time trying to build a monorail system. I deleted it all and will revisit again when I am more clued in to what I'm doing!

I'm great at building a ton of roads everywhere and I pay attention to junctions so my traffic isn't too bad. I'm just really bad at public transport, particularly trains!

I hear those things are awfully loud...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Heys guys,
    While Im looking at some of the mods, around before I start a new city what expansions would you consider "essential" before I start buying. I only have the vanilla version?

Mass transit and natural disasters are must haves. Add so much depth to the game.

Mass transit and natural disasters are must haves. Add so much depth to the game.

I've heard natural disasters add so much grief to the game too, so be wary of that.

I've heard natural disasters add so much grief to the game too, so be wary of that.

Yeah, I built an interchange to start developing a new area I'd unlocked only to have a huge tornado come along a few mins later and wreck the whole thing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yeah, I built an interchange to start developing a new area I'd unlocked only to have a huge tornado come along a few mins later and wreck the whole thing!

That doesn't sound like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Surely these can be turned off right....I suppose is the N.D DLC only real addition to the game Natural disasters, does it add other such tweaks?!

• Advertisement

That doesn't sound like fun.

Ha, not exactly. Sure it's not as bad as the earthquake that opened up a massive rift through half of my original area, cut water and electricity to the whole city and killed over 200 people. :o

I should probably build evacuation shelters...

Surely these can be turned off right....I suppose is the N.D DLC only real addition to the game Natural disasters, does it add other such tweaks?!

You can enable it at the start of a build AFAIK, I'm only working on one city at the moment. I've never looked to see can it be tweaked. It adds in a load of new assets and things to consider when building. You can add in Fire Watch towers, different detectors and some cool new emergency services helicopter depots.

It really puts a focus on designing the city well to cope with a situation where you have to evacuate your citizens to the shelters. Traffic becomes a danger if you need to evacuate but it's also something you have to think about when placing the shelters. They require things like food and water, if service vehicles can't get to the shelters to make deliveries then you could be in trouble when things go wrong.

I find it funny watching literally your whole city running down the street to try get to the shelters and then vomiting out onto the streets when you give the all clear!

I don't have natural disasters but have seen people on youtube use it. It looks challenging and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just stumbling across this thread and looks like a game I'd really enjoy.

Do you think it would run at all on my pc with the following specs (circa 2012):
    Base - Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
    Memory - 12288MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x4096 + 2x2048] Memory
    Video Card - NVIDIA® GeForce GT 530 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
    Hard Drive - 1.5TB Dual Hard Drive No RAID (500GB & 1TB 7200rpm)

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Just stumbling across this thread and looks like a game I'd really enjoy.

Do you think it would run at all on my pc with the following specs (circa 2012):
    Base - Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
    Memory - 12288MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x4096 + 2x2048] Memory
    Video Card - NVIDIA® GeForce GT 530 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
    Hard Drive - 1.5TB Dual Hard Drive No RAID (500GB & 1TB 7200rpm)

I'm playing mine on a laptop with Intel i5 with no problems so far; I have the base game with 3 of the dlc and some mods and assets installed. Current city up to 65k now with no lag.

I'm not sure though which graphics card I have. Maybe someone else here will know if yours is current enough.

@Simona1986 Min GPU is a GTX 260 so you're good.

I got to 80k population tonight, woohoo!

This was after I completely overhauled my roads and razed several districts and neighbourhoods to solve bad traffic. I went from 75k down to 58 before the numbers started to climb again. It was well worth the time spent. I know have an airport with proper train, monorail and metro connections. I just need to fix my bus network and I'm good to attempt the next milestone.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Haven't played this in a good while. Always think that my city's are amazing until I start looking at youtube videos :o. What's everyone's thoughts on the next DLC? Personally I think it won't add much to the game.

Haven't played this in a good while. Always think that my city's are amazing until I start looking at youtube videos :o. What's everyone's thoughts on the next DLC? Personally I think it won't add much to the game.

I'm really looking forward to it. 350 new assets can't be bad! I like the idea of playing for less pollution and greener building. I can't wait to try it out. :D

• Advertisement

I like the look of this new expansion, I've always tried to build clean cities. Be interesting to see how they handle recycling, the two mods I use are really well balanced so if they're somewhere around the same I'll be happy, the less mods the better! But 350 assets alone is worth it!

Advertisement