Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities: Skylines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lockheed

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    32GB of RAM is a bit too much. 16GB is advised for extreme gaming. 8GB is sufficient.

Lockheed, check your nvidia drivers, that could be an issue.

My GeForce Experience crashes on startup. I downloaded the most up-to-date drivers a few months ago, idk if there are new ones

@The_Valeyard, 32gb of ram is way out of my budget, and would also seriously be bottlenecked on my computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Lockheed wrote: »
    My GeForce Experience crashes on startup. I downloaded the most up-to-date drivers a few months ago, idk if there are new ones

@The_Valeyard, 32gb of ram is way out of my budget, and would also seriously be bottlenecked on my computer

Tried a clean install of nvidia drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Download new version and uninstall the GeForce Exp you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Seems like a bit of a gimmick, but I'll probably buy it just to support them. They're doing great work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

errlloyd wrote: »
    Seems like a bit of a gimmick, but I'll probably buy it just to support them. They're doing great work.

The day/night cycle will actually be free to all users, but there's a bunch of content seperate to this expansion. New themed buildings etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The day/night cycle will actually be free to all users, but there's a bunch of content seperate to this expansion. New themed buildings etc

This is great news. In reality the thing I was happy though slightly disappointed to get is free, but the thing I was hoping for is now for sale. However my brain is like "I am still paying for the Gimmick, but all this useful stuff is free" excellent.

Is it a patch? Or do you have to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Looks great. When will it be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Looks great. When will it be out?

Difficult to say, I think for the other Paradox titles there was always about a month between announcement and release. In this case they likely wanted to use the Gamescom in Cologne to make the announcement so nobody knows how far they are with the development. Kalypso annouced Grand Ages: Medieval on the Gamescom in 2014 and it's still not released.

So one day, I was in my NationStates country, Tanijistan.
    http://www.nationstates.net/nation=tanijistan
    I got an issue about the ability to create a capital city. So I named my capital Jacari.
    I was bored for a while after this, but then I came up with an idea. I was going to make Jacari, and the government offices of Tanijistan, in Cities Skylines!

An overhead view of Jacari

2015-08-15_00001_zpsxyug8sut.jpg

The Government Offices of Tanijistan. It has a a small park beside it, featuring a T34 Tank restored from a previous Tanijistan civil war. Also, there is a large parking lot for employees or visitors to the offices can park.

2015-08-15_00002_zps80s706yp.jpg

Typical traffic on the city entry point.

2015-08-15_00003_zpsla0pqf8r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Welp, this game is addictive as hell.

Picked it up for my daughter to play as she's bored of the Sims. She played it for an hour, and I've played it for 7. I expect I'll lose entire weekends on this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The add-on launches 24th September for PC, Mac and Linux priced $14.99 (UK cost TBA).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-20-cities-skylines-after-dark-release-date-price-detailed

I assume €14.99 for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Totally forgot I bought this in the last steam sale.

Need to give this a lash this week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

TheDoc wrote: »
    Totally forgot I bought this in the last steam sale.

Need to give this a lash this week

I got it recently and it's already stolen about 30 hours of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I got it recently and it's already stolen about 30 hours of my life.

Installed it last night, will give it some gametime over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

First game i installed with steam and what a game it is.
    For me its just about getting the look and traffic right.
    User generated content is amazing,Especially some of the vehicles.
    Would like more Irish buildings/vehicles though,as currently its very limited.

Maybe the Guiness Brewery,poolbeg,Cork city hall and some castles would be a nice addition.

Hopefully as time goes on,more Irish users will get involved and more content will become available.

Spending hours at a time designing my city,But gladly doing so as i think it can bring creativity out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ok so finally got around to buying this. Anything i should know before getting stuck into it?

Ie is there any essential mods or whatever i should have/be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ok so finally got around to buying this. Anything i should know before getting stuck into it?

AI Traffic, Protractor (can't remember the actual name), Fine Road Heights, Network Extension, Building Themes (allows you to set a certain district style of housing in your district i.e. Brooklyn, UK Terrace or suburban US style housing.) I would say Roads Anarchy too but it's been known to create problems in relation to bridges and dams being built. Ignore Traffic ++ for now. The creator of that mod is looking to combine that and AI Traffic together and allow it to be compatible with the next update which is around 21st Sept I think. At the moment, having both Traffic ++ and AI Traffic enabled together crashes your games and is very buggy but personally I use AI Traffic as AI uses all lanes rather than one as default. Traffic ++ just allows you to control what vehicle can go in what lane, control speed limits and set turning lanes at junctions.

I could say a lot more but unfortunately I've no internet on my PC to write out a proper response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cheers,that sounds like a good starting point. Ill get those mods installed and i can start from there.

Havent played a city builder since Sim City 2000 i think,hoping this is the game to get me enjoying the genre again

Cheers,that sounds like a good starting point. Ill get those mods installed and i can start from there.

Havent played a city builder since Sim City 2000 i think,hoping this is the game to get me enjoying the genre again

Just be patient with it at the start,will take a while to get used of how to design roads efficiently.
    Just mess about with it at the start.

• Advertisement

I would not install too much at the beginning. As CB19Kevo said, mess around a bit to get a feeling for it. There is enough new if you just start with the game. You can always brows the workshop items later and see what you want to add.

A lot of stuff is cool but be careful especially with mods, they need to be updated as soon there is a big game update so if the person who designed a mod is not fast, you end up with not being able to play for a few days if you depend on a certain mod.

A few things I like are the Wellington Monument and the British Double deck buses (if you use the standard buses the doors are on the street side so it looks odd). I also downloaded a number of parks, police and firestations, schools and churches so not each suburb looks the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

So who done got the expansion? I've just loaded up a savegame and the free parts are there, day/night, etc. A few niggles: TIL Solar Plants don't work at night :D and a lot of my ploppable buildings like underground power lines now show flashing no road access icons. But all my mods appear to work and even the assets that are not completely day/night appropriate look ok. Honestly though, I'm not sure it adds anything to a game I've already played for 900 hours (not really, that's Steam). I wasn't looking for night time options, and really I'll be looking to buy the expansion in a few weeks -- I want to give it time to work through any patches -- to get the most out of the new options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

So has anyone done any weird or strange builds
    I built a motorsport complex inspired by Bristol Motor speedway
    http://imgur.com/a/MnMWv

(Looks even better under lights)

I just want to put in words how amazing the new update is. my computer is average at best, and cities skylines was terrible before. It took 5-10 minuites just to load and ingame I put up with a constant 10 fps. After this new update loading takes 3 minuites and the game is totally lag free, i get constant 30 FPS. They did an amazing job. Also, THE AIRPORTS WORK PROPERLY NOW! My tiny 4000 population city ahs an airport that 50 people use a day! Hell yes, this game is great now

Anyone having a go at adding Irish Assets.
    Lots of UK content there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I picked this up the steam sale last night. Can't wait to play it tonight.
    It has been on my wishlist for a long time.

Any tips for a beginner? I'm going to go without mods for the first few weeks.
    The last city sim I played was Sim City 2000. I've watched about 10 hours of gameplay on youtube so feel I have a good idea of what not to do.

Am I right in saying that traffic management is key?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've watched about 10 hours of gameplay on youtube

what

Am I right in saying that traffic management is key?
    Yes, if you have the traffic managed well then your city is fine. Otherwise it's not. But building anything is instant. So unlike Dublin where you wait 10 years for a new LUAS track you pause the game, build a rail track and it will be up and running immediately. Kind of takes away the real life challenge.

There is too much traffic anyway. I have 4 three-lanes-each-side motorways going into a town about the size of Tullamore and they all look busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have tried to start a city twice now and both times the laptop has froze in the city loading stage. Any idea what's wrong? Probably my 4yr old laptop. Getting a new one soon, which should be able to handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mc Love wrote: »
    Have tried to start a city twice now and both times the laptop has froze in the city loading stage. Any idea what's wrong? Probably my 4yr old laptop. Getting a new one soon, which should be able to handle it.

Any mods installed? Try load vanilla. GPU drivers up to date etc?

Advertisement