Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities: Skylines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Interesting, haven't played it in ages, always end up stop playing once my traffic gets out of control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Mc Love wrote: »
    Interesting, haven't played it in ages, always end up stop playing once my traffic gets out of control

Ha this is why I stopped playing it. I find it very difficult to sort out the traffic even after reading tons about how to make it better.

Benzino wrote: »
    Ha this is why I stopped playing it. I find it very difficult to sort out the traffic even after reading tons about how to make it better.

I'm the same even with all the extra stop signals/traffic lights. There also seems to be more traffic than the actual population too,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I stopped playing cos I started watching youtubers like Silvarret (seriously the man is a GOD - Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, etc) and when comparing their cities to my own, well it was like comparing Donald Trump to Elizabeth Hurley in a beauty contest :( My cities were always too square....

• Advertisement

ImperialJedi was the one youtuber that didn't annoy the hell out of me and his videos and cities always turned out quite well.

Mc Love wrote: »
    ImperialJedi was the one youtuber that didn't annoy the hell out of me and his videos and cities always turned out quite well.

Strict Toaster is good, but can be a little too detailed. And Sam Bur is interesting to watch also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I watch Imperial Jedi and Sam Bur and agree they are both really good.

Keralis has had some good CS series'.
    I also watch Flabaliki but I find him hard to understand sometimes because he talks too fast.
    I watch Spike Viper for the sheer comedy. His gameplay does my head in but for some reason it's entertaining.
    I have Aavak on my subscriptions also.

How big are your cities when you run into traffic problems?
    I learnt a lot from guides online about where to zone, how to layout roads and junctions, ways to move traffic from the roads onto trains or public transport.

I like the idea of being able to make flexible parks to fill in odd shapes and connect areas but I'm not sure if I will value the expansion - I will wait for the price to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Benzino wrote: »

Without using a workshop mod, the default AI just tries to find the shortest route.

Cars that could have a faster route by going around your town often try go through the town.
    There are several road traffic ai mods on the steam workshop and I highly recommend you check them out.

The thing that grinds my gears with the traffic is how the ai doesn't utilise all the lanes in a road if there is an upcoming turnoff. Also how the roundabouts are enormous! Again, mods sort both these out.

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The thing that grinds my gears with the traffic is how the ai doesn't utilise all the lanes in a road if there is an upcoming turnoff. Also how the roundabouts are enormous! Again, mods sort both these out.

Probably the most annoying part of the game, you have to play around with the roads often making a mess of the roads to get the traffic to use all the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

This times 1000. So annoying. I get that in real life people don't always follow the rules of the road, but this makes it very difficult to plan roads and in some cases makes certain road types pointless. It seems like something they are not looking to fix either (although I'd imagine it wouldn't be trivial issue to fix).
    Without using a workshop mod, the default AI just tries to find the shortest route.

Cars that could have a faster route by going around your town often try go through the town.
    There are several road traffic ai mods on the steam workshop and I highly recommend you check them out.

This is not an option for me as I am on PS4 :( I can only imagine how good the game is with mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I’m not sure this is entirely true. I’ve had good success with orbital motorways. Having industry on the opposite side of the motorway to residential and commercial really helps as do one way systems.

All this talk is making me want to play it again even though I'm currently glued to a game in football manager

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

The Cities: Skylines range is on sale on Steam at the moment if anyone is considering any of the DLCs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's a new expansion out for it as well that they announced at PDXCon last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Shiminay wrote: »
    There's a new expansion out for it as well that they announced at PDXCon last weekend.
    Paradox adds DLC after DLC to all of their games. If you buy all DLC for Cities:Skylines alone you pay EUR 121.86 on top of the base game. So over time it's an expensive game. Some DLCs really add a lot but some, like the concerts, add 3 or 4 buildings and you pay EUR 7. Or a radio station for EUR 4, that is really a rip off for a computer game.

I come back to it every few months or so. Then after a few hours gameplay, the utter sh!tstorm that is my city depresses me as it looks more like squiggly lines than a city.......... The only expansion I paid for was After Dark, never buying more because of my inability to make pretty looking cities :(

Haithabu wrote: »
    Paradox adds DLC after DLC to all of their games. If you buy all DLC for Cities:Skylines alone you pay EUR 121.86 on top of the base game. So over time it's an expensive game. Some DLCs really add a lot but some, like the concerts, add 3 or 4 buildings and you pay EUR 7. Or a radio station for EUR 4, that is really a rip off for a computer game.

The whole collection is showing as just under €40 for me right now on Steam, excluding the new parks DLC of course.

I do admit I'm tempted by the new parks DLC, but that's all because I'm really in the mood for a new zoo management game :D Seriously, we haven't had a proper zoo sim since Zoo Tycoon 2 AND DON'T EVEN TALK TO ME ABOUT THAT SH1TST@RM OF AN EXCUSE ON THE XBOX/WINDOWS STORE WHERE YOU CAN'T EVEN CREATE YOUR OWN EXHIBITS COS THEY'RE ALL PREBUILT :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jaxxx wrote: »
    The whole collection is showing as just under €40 for me right now on Steam, excluding the new parks DLC of course.

I do admit I'm tempted by the new parks DLC, but that's all because I'm really in the mood for a new zoo management game :D Seriously, we haven't had a proper zoo sim since Zoo Tycoon 2 AND DON'T EVEN TALK TO ME ABOUT THAT SH1TST@RM OF AN EXCUSE ON THE XBOX/WINDOWS STORE WHERE YOU CAN'T EVEN CREATE YOUR OWN EXHIBITS COS THEY'RE ALL PREBUILT :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    It seems to be few to play this weekend if you want a go.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/1017535979266113541

Oh God, I hope they don't sell out to EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Lockheed

https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/1017535979266113541

Oh God, I hope they don't sell out to EA.

In fairness, the game is already raped by microtransactions and overpriced DLCs. can't say it'd change much

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We all remember what EA did to Sim City right?

Lockheed wrote: »
    In fairness, the game is already raped by microtransactions and overpriced DLCs. can't say it'd change much

Huh?

Overpriced (and sometimes pointless) DLC, absolutely.

But microtransactions... what game are you playing?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Huh?

Overpriced (and sometimes pointless) DLC, absolutely.

But microtransactions... what game are you playing?

The DLC's can be hit and miss but to give Colossal Order some credit it is the mechanism they are using to keep updating the core game. The DLC's are not really needed to enjoy the game.

And microtransaction? I have to agree - what game are you playing?

My one question/concern is user content - how will Origin play with the Steam workshop - for me the content on there makes the game a completely different prospect - i doubt i could play the plain vanilla game anymore.

I try not to.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

#Never Forget.

Absolute ***** what they did to that franchise, another game series ruined by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Tbf Origin is the only reason Valve added a refund policy to Steam purchases and forced games like Arkham Knight to fix their problems.

To give EA it's due, Origin was the superior product from a consumer rights point of view when it launched. We as consumers benefitted when EA entered the sales/DRM market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I honestly don't get the hate for Origin, it's the usual internet mob mentality of "VALVE GOOD! EA BAD!" when one considers it has curated content that's guaranteed to work, a proper and functioning refunds system that shamed Valve into finally following suit despite this being a legal requirement in most countries they're trading in.

But that doesn't mitigate the utterly scummy business practices that are par for the course with EA and the way they kill franchises with horrible cash grabs is shameful. Sim City was just one in a long line of these horrible decisions.

Advertisement