Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail strike days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Cuts are being made in the health services that affect everybody from the lowest grades and also patients and those in greatest need who have had their medical cards taken from them, so why should irish rail employees not have to take the same levels of reduction as just about everyone else in the state?
    because nobody is taking the exact same reductions. that can't and never will happen. some will take more of a reduction then others.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Cuts are being made in the health services that affect everybody from the lowest grades and also patients and those in greatest need who have had their medical cards taken from them, so why should irish rail employees not have to take the same levels of reduction as just about everyone else in the state?

Are you referring to the medical card withdrawals that the government completely chickened out on because it was unpopular?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Pipmae wrote: »
    I have an IR annual ticket Gormanston to Pearse (and I pay handsomely for the pleasure). I had no intention of travelling by IR on Sunday or Monday last. However I'm almost sure I'll have to take a hit in the next few weeks. It could be a bus fare, petrol to drive to Dublin City & parking, etc. An IR refund on the day won't cover the hit.

I'm going to apply for credit for last Sunday and Monday. Any thoughts? :confused: Shoot me now for the dishonesty!

You are entitled to the refund regardless of your intention to travel on them days. There is a link on the taxsaver site to the refund form that you have to fill in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You are entitled to the refund regardless of your intention to travel on them days. There is a link on the taxsaver site to the refund form that you have to fill in.
    Thanks - I filled it in earlier today.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Wrong. You seem like a reasonable person, but I suggest you study the history of CIE and its industrial relations. Management are far from perfect. The shareholder is far from perfect, but staff have consistantly being protected from economic reality and enjoyed very good renumeration for what they do. The lack of trust has been driven by staff that point blank refuse to accept any step back in terms of basic pay. Invariably its drivers and to fully understand the ins and outs of that, you really need to study Irish railway history in general.

For your own sake google a bit, buy a few books, maybe even join the IRRS and avail of their library as it can provide you with more info than just a fantasy playback of history.

Its the future the staff are interested in not the past.

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote: »
    But it's not mandatory, is it?

So you're complaining about being given the option of GP care for less than three quid a week for you (and again, correct me if I'm wrong here) AND your family?

Most people I know would kill for these perks.

To be honest, I think this strike might be a huge blunder on the part of your unions, because apart from anything else it's drawn a lot of publicity to a pay and perks package that the vast majority of your customers weren't aware of.
    Striking while IR employees are earning a minimum of 700 bills a week (that's according to one of your own guys earlier in this thread) along with a GP care scheme for peanuts and free travel, etc....just makes yee seem ungrateful and petty to most people, I would imagine.

Imagine is the main word there.

So basically you want IR staff to take the hit just because others have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Its the future the staff are interested in not the past.

Learn from the past. The future is undecided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Not everyone has taken a reduction, some people have had wage increases, some have had reductions and then had increases. It is completely untrue to suggest just about everyone has had a reduction.

But while we are here there hasn't been a cut in social welfare rates since 2011 and of course a person on social welfare with an adult dependent and 2 kids gets upto €31, 064 per year

€188 personal rate
    €124.80 dependent adult
    €29.80 per child

€975 per month rent supplement

Total €31064

Plus medical card, so no doctors bills, or hospital bills and free medicine ( other than a small dispensing fee)

Back to school allowance etc

Meanwhile people here are telling people here that get up and go out to work, including shift work and weekends that they are earning too much on €36,000 before tax prsi and USC.

Something is seriously wrong here.

cdebru wrote: »
    Not everyone has taken a reduction, some people have had wage increases, some have had reductions and then had increases. It is completely untrue to suggest just about everyone has had a reduction.

But while we are here there hasn't been a cut in social welfare rates since 2011 and of course a person on social welfare with an adult dependent and 2 kids gets upto €31, 064 per year

€188 personal rate
    €124.80 dependent adult
    €29.80 per child

€975 per month rent supplement

Total €31064

Plus medical card, so no doctors bills, or hospital bills and free medicine ( other than a small dispensing fee)

Back to school allowance etc

Meanwhile people here are telling people here that get up and go out to work, including shift work and weekends that they are earning too much on €36,000 before tax prsi and USC.

Something is seriously wrong here.

Those people are 'vulnerable' and 'entitled' to that money whereas all of us IE employees are overpaid tae drinking bastards who should work 48 hours a week in a hostile environment for a pittance and be glad of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

cdebru wrote: »
    I don't work for IE so I wasn't complaining about anything, but I love how you can imagine how most people think, you should get a job with Redc they waste money asking people how they think they only need to call you.

I gave my opinion on what, having discussed this with a lot of other IR customers, I truly believe to be the case. And believe me, a lot of people who'd I have expected to support ANY industrial action almost on priniciple are still having a hard time seeing things from the strikers' perspective.

Do you honestly think that strikes affecting two of the biggest sporting days in the country wouldn't make the strikers seem vindictive and petty to travellers? Especially given the constant references to the reason for the strike being "pay and conditions"?

If you, or IR staff, think the strike has popular support...in my opinion that's bordering on delusion, I'm sorry.

Imagine is the main word there.

So you're saying, hand on heart, that you think this strike has the support of the majority of IR customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

I gave my opinion on what, having discussed this with a lot of other IR customers, I truly believe to be the case. And believe me, a lot of people who'd I have expected to support ANY industrial action almost on priniciple are still having a hard time seeing things from the strikers' perspective.

Do you honestly think that strikes affecting two of the biggest sporting days in the country wouldn't make the strikers seem vindictive and petty to travellers? Especially given the constant references to the reason for the strike being "pay and conditions"?

If you, or IR staff, think the strike has popular support...in my opinion that's bordering on delusion, I'm sorry.

In your opinion..exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Noone want to be striking if it can be helped but tbh would you have preferred an all out strike off the bat? Its an inconveniece for the sports fans but the alternative would discommendate everyone. At least for the most part people getting to work which to be fair are the more important crowd still have the train for now.

While the all out strike threat is still possible theres nothing to say yet wether it will still happen as its only a possibility at the end of september and hopefully by that time there will be talks. The governement ultimately created the situation here with their political crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

My own view is that the government are so determined to undermine the railways with the Free Travel Scheme, the Land Transport consultation, significant reductions in the subvention and comments from senior ministers questioning the long term viability of the railway that if the strikes were in protest at all of that rather than the temporary pay cuts that would provide a solid moral case for any further strikes.

I am of the opinion that the government are in wider hock to the Road lobby and are more than willing to sacrifice Inter City rail and freight in order to pacify that lobby. It's almost as if the story of how Freeways were built in American cities in the 40s and 50s by destroying those cities public transport systems at the behest of the motor industry. Google will tell a lot about the shady deals done at that time in the US, where streetcar systems were bought out and shut down. Reading the Department's Land Transport consultation document very much reminds me of that.

Regarding the rail strikes, the key now for the Irish Rail workers is to ensure that public sympathy is not eroded any further. Choosing to strike on All Ireland final days is a tactical mistake, all that does is hurt Iarnrod Éireann itself.

Your real quarrel is not with the management of IÉ, it's actually with the Department of Transport who appear to want to devastate the wider railway network for what benefit other than to funnel more money to the motorways. We need motorways, that's for sure. But we need our railways too. For too long we were dependent on the railways for much of our long distance travel needs, that wasn't healthy for the economy. But now I fear the Department have decided they want us now to be wholly dependent on the Motorways and to scrap the long distance railways altogether. That would be a nightmare scenario for this country - to devastate a large part of the nation's infrastructure. Cui Bono? Who benefits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It seems that there are a couple of IR employees knocking around here. I'd be genuinely interested to hear how they would fix the problems of IR? I'm not having a go at anyone but I'd like to know what the alternatives are to pay cuts? The free travel scheme seems to be mentioned quite a bit, and on the radio yesterday evening they were talking about closing non profitable routes. Would the union and employees be open to that? Surely that would inevitably lead to job losses?

Have a read back through the thread we listed some of the issues in previous posts.

the strike has a good bit of support. more then i would have thought. there will always be a lot who will not support anyone trying to do better, keep what they have, or even go on strike to force management to get out of their bubble and help save the company

So you're saying, hand on heart, that you think this strike has the support of the majority of IR customers?
    how would he know unless he asked every IE customer. how would you know the opposite unless you asked every IE customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

It's not management who need to get out of their bubble to help save the company, if you ask me.

• Advertisement

on the radio yesterday evening they were talking about closing non profitable routes.

i'd imagine at this stage thats all the network. as said a bit above all to please the governments little chums in the road lobby.

fxotoole wrote: »
    It's not management who need to get out of their bubble to help save the company, if you ask me.
    oh? right. get that lads? shur business as usual for management. don't bother trying to save the company the management are doing everything right. more or less eradicating the frontline staff and allowing revenue to go out the door due to lack of revenue enforcement is a way to run a railway company.

how would he know unless he asked every IE customer. how would you know the opposite unless you asked every IE customer.

Re-read my post. I said "think", not "know".
    The same way I qualify my opinions by saying they're my opinions, not facts, and that I imagine something to be the case if I cannot prove it, etc.

I stand by what I said; that I don't believe this strike has much public support.
    Going by this thread alone, it seems to have lacked complete support even from IR staff themselves.

I'm not going to get into whether public support is a good or bad thing for a strike as that's a completely separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

oh? right. get that lads? shur business as usual for management. don't bother trying to save the company the management are doing everything right. more or less eradicating the frontline staff and allowing revenue to go out the door due to lack of revenue enforcement is a way to run a railway company.

We are talking about the same frontline staff who went on strike in Cork a few years back because one of their colleagues - who was caught stealing ticket money - was dismissed, right?

We are talking about the same frontline staff who went on strike in Cork a few years back because one of their colleagues - who was caught stealing ticket money - was dismissed, right?

Dunno what happened there tbh usually people who fiddle with the money get the heave pretty quickly its one of the few things ya can get sacked for nearly instantly. Probably more to the story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Infini2 wrote: »
    Dunno what happened there tbh usually people who fiddle with the money get the heave pretty quickly its one of the few things ya can get sacked for nearly instantly. Probably more to the story though.

Not really. He was caught pilfering (IIRC it wasn't his first time either) and was dismissed after going through every HR mechanism possible. The "frontline staff", who are apparently concerned with "revenue enforcement" then went on strike to try and get their colleague reinstated, disrupting travel for thousands around Cork (myself included). Now, the lot in Cork have always been extra militant, but I'll take claims of union concern for revenue etc with a pinch of salt.

Infini2 wrote: »
    yeah, i'd say there was more to this as well

Not really. He was caught pilfering (IIRC it wasn't his first time either) and was dismissed after going through every HR mechanism possible. The "frontline staff", who are apparently concerned with "revenue enforcement" then went on strike to try and get their colleague reinstated, disrupting travel for thousands around Cork (myself included). Now, the lot in Cork have always been extra militant, but I'll take claims of union concern for revenue etc with a pinch of salt.
    each to their own. i'd rather trust the word of people working in the company myself

Sounds fairly serious. Do you have any links to news articles or anything about it?

Or was the information released by everybody's favourite, most trusted media organisation: "Some Lad Down The Pub Ltd."?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Sounds fairly serious. Do you have any links to news articles or anything about it?

Or was the information released by everybody's favourite, most trusted media organisation: "Some Lad Down The Pub Ltd."?

Most people who are let go from their company tend not to make the news for some reason.

Whether the story is true or not asking for a news article about it is a bit odd.

Advertisement