Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail strike days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's not statistics, it's fact!

EOTR maintained the train speeds by at 37 mph.
    no i didn't. you were the one who said the train travels at 37 MPH. so prove it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Actual average speed of the train is likely a (tiny!) bit above 37MPH given the circuitous route compared to by road, but completing a journey that by road is about 38km in approx 37 mins is pretty close to 60kph, which comes out at a road-equivalent speed (and this is probably the important comparison, since road is likely the alternative) of about 37.3MPH. Let's be generous and say even 38MPH, it's still not blisteringly fast, is it? Basis for all the above. Road may not be much faster either, but for the most part the train isn't going to "speed" past that much.

And ultimately the emphasis was put on your use of the term speeds and it strikes me that this description was what n97 mini was referring to rather than the actual speed, but I suspect you realised that when you replied.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ooh, fightin' talk! Cythos has provided an alternate proof above, but for my sums I used RUI's fare calculator showing the distance to be 38.36km. Irish Rail's timetable shows the journey time between Ennis and Limerick to be 39 to 40 minutes, which is slightly less than 60 km/h, or about 37 mph.

As Cythos also rightly pointed out, I don't think telling someone in Co Clare who has given up on the train that speeds by at 37 mph is going to win them back.

I haven't worked out the Ennis-Galway route yet but will for the gallery, who knows it might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ooh, fightin' talk! Cythos has provided an alternate proof above, but for my sums I used RUI's fare calculator showing the distance to be 38.36km. Irish Rail's timetable shows the journey time between Ennis and Limerick to be 39 to 40 minutes, which is slightly less than 60 km/h, or about 37 mph.

As Cythos also rightly pointed out, I don't think telling someone in Co Clare who has given up on the train that speeds by at 37 mph is going to win them back.

I haven't worked out the Ennis-Galway route yet but will for the gallery, who knows it might be better.
    speeds by while he/she is stuck in traffic is what i said. mentioned no exact speeds. i still say he/she will be back

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Ok, for the new bit, Atheny to Ennis, RUI puts it at ~58km. Irish Rail has it as taking 45 to 59 minutes. Not sure why there is such a variation, but that's not the question. At 59 the average is again around 37 mph, whereas at 45 minutes the average speed is a heady 77 km/h. For those of us used to old money that's 48 mph.

• Advertisement

speeds by while he/she is stuck in traffic is what i said. mentioned no exact speeds. i still say he/she will be back

Ambles I would say is a more accurate description. I'm not familiar with that route, is it known for traffic jams? Dublin Coach seem to show a consistent 45 minutes on their timetables from Ennis to Limerick, which seems to be quicker than the train as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

So the strikes are off now I believe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

may06 wrote: »
    So the strikes are off now I believe..

Shockingly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

All strikes called of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

All strikes called of

Is it just me or can you still not book tickets on line for Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

It's not just you. I'd imagine the website guys don't work during the night to have changed it after the strike was called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Will be sorted soon I believe

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Does anyone know what the agreement contained?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

devnull wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the agreement contained?

No theres no details atm. They called off the strikes and the paycuts for now but the devil is in the detail and unless theres meaningful commitments then I dont know if that will be the end of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Nice one. I was due on a stag in Westport that weekend.
    IE. A great bunch of lads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Online bookings seem to be up now. No sign of any GAA specials yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Online bookings seem to be up now. No sign of any GAA specials yet.

Just 1 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Just 1 so far.

There are several lined up; booking details below.

http://www.irishrail.ie/allirelandhurlingfinals

Are more strikes looming, anyone else hear? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No - the proposals from the LRC have yet to be balloted upon.

lxflyer wrote: »
    No - the proposals from the LRC have yet to be balloted upon.

But that doesn't mean further action wont be taken though, or does it? Pay cuts implemented and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

But that doesn't mean further action wont be taken though, or does it? Pay cuts implemented and all?

The pay cuts have been suspended.

All further strikes have also been suspended.

At the moment, the next stage is that the unions will ballot the workforce on the new proposals from the LRC.

What happens after that will depend upon the results of those ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Pipmae wrote: »
    I'm going to apply for credit for last Sunday and Monday. Any thoughts? :confused: Shoot me now for the dishonesty!
    Updating to say I got €10 voucher back that can be cashed in at any Irish Rail ticket office for cash.:)

lxflyer wrote: »
    The pay cuts have been suspended.

All further strikes have also been suspended.

At the moment, the next stage is that the unions will ballot the workforce on the new proposals from the LRC.

What happens after that will depend upon the results of those ballots.

Not so i'm afraid, paycuts were implemented...i know that for a fact..Ask the drivers, lots of calls to the unions took place on thurs/fri...Thurs being payday, the cuts went ahead, in spite of what we were lead to believe originally.
    As regards future strikes, I'd imagine there's still uncertainty around them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cervelo1981

Not so i'm afraid, paycuts were implemented...i know that for a fact..Ask the drivers, lots of calls to the unions took place on thurs/fri...Thurs being payday, the cuts went ahead, in spite of what we were lead to believe originally.
    As regards future strikes, I'd imagine there's still uncertainty around them.....

No that's not accurate that weeks pay-cut went through because there was no agreement when that pay week was processed, then the talks began which resulted in the suspension of the cuts for 3 weeks while the ballot takes place. You obviously work for IE you should ask your line manger the next time.

No that's not accurate that weeks pay-cut went through because there was no agreement when that pay week was processed, then the talks began which resulted in the suspension of the cuts for 3 weeks while the ballot takes place. You obviously work for IE you should ask your line manger the next time.

Dont work for IE, but have connections there & from what i'm told that paycut was not supposed to go ahead. Anyhow, just wondering where it will lead to next. ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Payroll is generally sent for processing at least a week, sometimes almost two weeks ahead of paydate for processing for most large companies where employees are paid monthly.

That's not just a theory, that is from someone who has dealt with payroll the odd time in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cervelo1981

Dont work for IE, but have connections there & from what i'm told that paycut was not supposed to go ahead. Anyhow, just wondering where it will lead to next. ?

We will find out after the ballot is counted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

terrible

Advertisement