Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail strike days

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

These advertising spaces are managed by a private company just like bus shelters.

These were the ones in the station that we normally stick posters for various promo fares etc in. Nothing to do with Adshel or whoever.

I would have had no problem putting them up if i was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

n97 mini wrote: »
    Union says putting up posters isn't part of the job description.

Its an infraction if they do ;).

These advertising spaces are managed by a private company just like bus shelters.

Not those for IR posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

cdebru wrote: »
    Problem is, is it really independent ?

LRC comprises a chairperson appointed by the relevant minister, and 6 board members 2 from the union side 2 from business side and 2 appointed by the minister.

So lets see the unions are represented there, and the CIE is represented they are a member of IBEC, but hang on the shareholder is also represented with so 5 to 2 in favour of the Company and its shareholder.

Secondly the LRC restricts itself to dealing with the HR issues the issue of subvention cuts it doesn't even consider, the issue of properly funding free travel is a political decision and outside its remit. So the two biggest causes of the hole in the balance sheet are not allowed to be even discussed.

If you look at IE in that vacuum you can only come to one conclusion, there in lies the problem because the LRC can't look at the entire problem, it can't/won't make a recommendation as to whether the cuts to subvention are fair and justified, it can't make a recommendation as to whether the government is properly funding the free travel scheme or if that is part of the problem.

Everyone knows what the LRC does it recommended a 35% pay cut for greyhound workers that is why it is undermined.

What the people here from IE have been saying all along is that pay cuts are the easy option, and that the problem as regards funding and waste need to be addressed the LRC can't/won't do that.

Tbh the way its set up it looks like its rigged in favour of the employer/goverment side. I mean look at it 3 from the minister alone. Realistically it should be independent of ANY political influence whatsoever to have any decent credibility.

Well the talks didnt last long then. The usual farce by the NBRU from what ive heard .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Its a farce in general and I expect more farciscal carry on this week. Nothing has changed and won't until someone shouts "STOP" and then stands over that decision until it changes.

**** all hope of that though.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

Government got to step up and pay their fare share.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Strikers don't get paid while out on strike, right?

So if strikers are out for 5 days out of approx 250 working days in a year, that equates to a 2% pay cut.

Ok, there's no revenue generated on those days either, but to walk into an effective 2% cut when you won't accept a 1.6% cut is kind of contradictory.

So if strikers are out for 5 days out of approx 250 working days in a year, that equates to a 2% pay cut.

Ok, there's no revenue generated on those days either, but to walk into an effective 2% cut when you won't accept a 1.6% cut is kind of contradictory.

That's the aspect that those of us who voted against the pay cut but also voted against striking can't make sense of.

Personally, I don't want to be on strike at all.

NBRU get around €50 for being on picket duty for 3 hours. Its a bit less for SIPTU.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Its a bit less for SIPTU.

40 big ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

When will we be told for sure the strike will go ahead or not??? Need the train next weekend :(:(

Dont be making any travel plans by train on sunday and monday.

Pretty much. If there isn't any move by ,like, Tuesday evening, then it's still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Im sick of the unions playing politics with our jobs. Why not an across the board work to rule? Disruption would be caused and staff get to go to work..on that note, what happens if all out strike is called? Do the unions really think they have a strong enough backing or will staff just say feck it Im going to work. I dont want a paycut but I also dont want o'leary or cullen using us as tools to try and get the govt to the table to discuss funding.
    On that note, why havnt the unions been tackling the company in relation to the amount of management in IE and other waste, all along? I know that whenever Ive contacted my union in relation to what I see as corrupt filling of vacancies, they arent interested..

management in IE and other waste, all along? I know that whenever Ive contacted my union in relation to what I see as corrupt filling of vacancies, they arent interested..

They represent the same people that you are complaining about as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

checked the website, train to dublin is all booked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Im sick of the unions playing politics with our jobs. Why not an across the board work to rule? Disruption would be caused and staff get to go to work..on that note, what happens if all out strike is called? Do the unions really think they have a strong enough backing or will staff just say feck it Im going to work. I dont want a paycut but I also dont want o'leary or cullen using us as tools to try and get the govt to the table to discuss funding.
    On that note, why havnt the unions been tackling the company in relation to the amount of management in IE and other waste, all along? I know that whenever Ive contacted my union in relation to what I see as corrupt filling of vacancies, they arent interested..

You think getting the shareholder to discuss cuts to the subvention and the funding of free travel is just playing politics ? Eh they wouldn't be trying to cut your wages if there hadn't been massive cuts to the subvention and if the free travel scheme hadn't been frozen at the same level of payment despite the substantial rise in the numbers entitled to it.

It is not playing politics it is actually trying to deal with the organ grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

checked the website, train to dublin is all booked out

Its not booked out - as far as I know, irish rail are not taking bookings (online etc) on those trains, due to the threatened strike - they announced that on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

cdebru wrote: »
    You think getting the shareholder to discuss cuts to the subvention and the funding of free travel is just playing politics ? Eh they wouldn't be trying to cut your wages if there hadn't been massive cuts to the subvention and if the free travel scheme hadn't been frozen at the same level of payment despite the substantial rise in the numbers entitled to it.

It is not playing politics it is actually trying to deal with the organ grinder.

Holding the fare paying travelling public to ransom is playing politics. Why no work to rule?? Any service disruption is then directly the fault of the company. Unions issuing threats of all out strike is plainly ridiculous. If us staff are "hard pressed" with the paycut then how feckin hard pressed would we be in an all out strike when multiples of the cut would be lost? Some fellas obviously have more money than brains if they are backing unions calling strike days willy nilly.
    As for the free travel scheme, does anybody really believe that FG are going to let us charge pass holder, who are a massive voting block? FG dont give a toss about public transport and I for one dont have hundreds or thousands of euros tucked away for strike in order to make FG care.

• Advertisement

Good old Paschal is "aiming" to not cut funding to Irish Rail further. I suppose that's the same thing as providing an adequate amount of funding.

We can all rest easy now that he has come out and said he's going to try. Cancel the strike guys, the minister is going to attempt to do his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I am going to make it my mission to avoid the train at all costs in the future if this strike goes ahead Sunday. So annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I am going to make it my mission to avoid the train at all costs in the future if this strike goes ahead Sunday. So annoyed.

So your earlier post states this strike is a massive inconvienence for you and your so annoyed yet your willing to inconvienence yourself in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Strike on all Ireland football final probably be called off now since Donegal made the final

Less people effected

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

over a strike? first world problems TBH. imagine, all the traffic you will get stuck in while the train speeds by, longer commuting hours probably, all over a little strike. you'l be back

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

over a strike? first world problems TBH. imagine, all the traffic you will get stuck in while the train speeds by, longer commuting hours probably, all over a little strike. you'l be back

Speeds by? OP is in Clare where the Ennis-Limerick train ambles along at an average 37 mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Speeds by? OP is in Clare where the Ennis-Limerick train ambles along at an average 37 mph.

You can say what you like with statistics but that doesn't tell the whole story does it? The "average" 37 mph speed is nothing to do with any inherent problem with railways in general - is to do with speed restrictions on the line because the Department isn't providing enough money to the railway to allow a more appropriate 70 or 90 mph speed on the line.

The trains themselves can travel at far higher speeds than at present. It is the lack of investment and in my opinion a deliberate starving of the rail structure of funds that causes the average speeds to be lower than they should be. Then anti-rail fanatics and department of transport mandarins who want to destroy Ireland's railways can use these statistics to throw mud on internet forums in the hope that mud will be picked up by willing journalists with nothing better to do than follow their master's orders and print yet another anti rail propaganda piece to soften up public opinion for savage and far reaching rail closures.

I bet the Irish Independent won't print that inconvienient truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I drive the enterprise at 90!

You can say what you like with statistics

It's not statistics, it's fact!

EOTR maintained the train speeds by at 37 mph.

• Advertisement

I drive the enterprise at 90!

Thats a fair old age to be driving a train :).

Advertisement