Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail strike days

Options
  • 18-08-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

hi ya

just wondering if the irish rail strike days have been confirmed.

Also does anyone know the dates involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

hi ya

just wondering if the irish rail strike days have been confirmed.

Also does anyone know the dates involved.

http://www.irishrail.ie/industrialaction

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

duh...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

is there any hope of this being resolved this week? any talks planned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Highly unlikely - this has been ongoing for over two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

km79 wrote: »
    is there any hope of this being resolved this week? any talks planned ?

Nothing stirring on our side of things and we are being instructed that it is going ahead so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Heard from one of the lads that Franks apparently went off on holidays for 3 weeks. Would laugh if that turns out to be true.
    As for the strikes themselves theyre on unless someone steps in which is unlikely since management are the ones trying to railroad this through and the minister is looking too incompetent to intervene. Was predicted that this could get ugly and I wouldnt be suprised if it turns that way considering the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cervelo1981

Nothing stirring on our side of things and we are being instructed that it is going ahead so far.

I heard SIPTU have decided not to go with the work to rule threat is that true?

I heard SIPTU have decided not to go with the work to rule threat is that true?

Correct, but they have added two extra days of striking.

Work to rule is a tad irrelevant in the current structure of the company anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You get more info on here and teletext than the Unions .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cervelo1981

Correct, but they have added two extra days of striking.

Work to rule is a tad irrelevant in the current structure of the company anyway.

Why would it be irrelavent? Surely a driver that is down 2 days from the strike can work to rest days to make up for the loss of earnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Infini2 wrote: »
    Heard from one of the lads that Franks apparently went off on holidays for 3 weeks. Would laugh if that turns out to be true.
    As for the strikes themselves theyre on unless someone steps in which is unlikely since management are the ones trying to railroad this through and the minister is looking too incompetent to intervene. Was predicted that this could get ugly and I wouldnt be suprised if it turns that way considering the way things are going.

It was a PR stunt by SIPTU, we all know they would never of passed the NBRU picket so they waited until the NBRU were out of the news to bring the strike back into the public eye.

As for resolving it, this time next week they will be talking if they are not doing it this week.

Why would it be irrelavent? Surely a driver that is down 2 days from the strike can work to rest days to make up for the loss of earnings.

Yeah because Irish Rail employees can just show up on their rest days and work and get paid.

Turns out the CEO is on holidays.

Probably one of the few times his job means anything and he isn't even in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Turns out the CEO is on holidays.

Probably one of the few times his job means anything and he isn't even in the country.

You have said you are an Irish Rail employee yourself. Are you working right now?

Banjoxed wrote: »
    You have said you are an Irish Rail employee yourself. Are you working right now?

Not that it's relevant, but i'm on a rest day today.
    Can't wait to see how you try to turn this around on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Commuting on Monday will be a disaster if it goes ahead. I reckon it will though, since the refunds for tickets are going through.

Commuting on Monday will be a disaster if it goes ahead. I reckon it will though, since the refunds for tickets are going through.

From what I've heard from the "rumormill" some of the managers want to talk but Franks has apparently told them to talk to noone. In addition theres been no attempt by management to avoid this unlike DB and BE which went down to the last minute even before their strikes. As for Franks basically being on holiday no matter what you say thats an own goal right there. Doesnt matter if your in communication it would be the same as the minister being off on holidays. He was the one that made the date for the implimentation of the cuts and now hes on holiday the same day the strikes are going ahead. Just reeks of "go feck yerselves" no matter what way you put it and shows they dont seem to be giving a damn about avoiding the strikes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The company argues that the temporary pay cuts ranging from 1.7% to 6.1% are essential to secure the viability of the company - a view endorsed by the Labour Court in a previous ruling.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0801/634643-irish-rail-nbru/
    Bosses have stressed the pay cuts - part of a multi-million euro cost-cutting survival strategy - have been described as unavoidable by the Labour Court if the operator is to remain in business.
    Senior management have taken a salary cut of 6.1%, according to Irish Rail.

They are asking workers to take cuts of between 1.7% for those earning 56,000 euro or less - three quarters of the workforce - up to just over 6% for employees on 100,000 euro or more.

Three other unions accepted the proposals, but they have been rejected by Siptu and the NBRU.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/irish-rail-workers-to-go-on-strike-30477637.html

For someone who doesn't follow this regularly when I read stuff like the above I have no sympathy for the strikers, none.

"Senior management have taken a salary cut of 6.1%, according to Irish Rail."

That 6.1% is the percentage their grades will be taking in the cuts coming into effect on the 24th so they haven't taken it yet.

Little bit misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

CatFromHue wrote: »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/irish-rail-workers-to-go-on-strike-30477637.html

For someone who doesn't follow this regularly when I read stuff like the above I have no sympathy for the strikers, none.

Different company but same company

All this was said about DB last year cpany is on its knees its very survival depended on these cuts yada yada independently verified books labour court accepted these cuts had to happen to save the company.

Then the accounts come out for 2013
    http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-bus-and-bus-eireann-turn-profits-for-first-time-in-years-30260696.html

A 500,000 surplus when the company the unions and the labor court were telling us the company is ****ed. So when I read these stories I say to myself more bull****.

BTW interesting fact DBs cost saving are for 19 months or until the company returns to profitability which ever comes first so the company is profitable the deal must be over ????? The unions will surely have gone back to the labour court and pointed this out ???

That is why CIE workers don't trust the company its management, the labour court or the trade unions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

That 6.1% is the percentage their grades will be taking in the cuts coming into effect on the 24th so they haven't taken it yet.

Little bit misleading.

They've accepted it, which is the main thing.

Personally I prefer certainty, so I'd be happier in the knowledge they are going ahead so that I can make alternative arrangements, rather than being left in any sort of limbo.

Theres little chance of a last minute reprieve, Franks being on holidays during a strike he triggered pretty much sums up his attitude to the workers in general. That and the fact that while the unions have said they remain available the management havent shifted their arse in the slightest to avert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cdebru wrote: »
    Different company but same company

All this was said about DB last year cpany is on its knees its very survival depended on these cuts yada yada independently verified books labour court accepted these cuts had to happen to save the company.

Then the accounts come out for 2013
    http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-bus-and-bus-eireann-turn-profits-for-first-time-in-years-30260696.html

A 500,000 surplus when the company the unions and the labor court were telling us the company is ****ed. So when I read these stories I say to myself more bull****.

BTW interesting fact DBs cost saving are for 19 months or until the company returns to profitability which ever comes first so the company is profitable the deal must be over ????? The unions will surely have gone back to the labour court and pointed this out ???

That is why CIE workers don't trust the company its management, the labour court or the trade unions.

That's well and good, but the accumulated losses (at nearly €52m) that have built up are still massive and need to be eaten into.

Perhaps you should analyse the company's balance sheet and you'll realise how bad the accounts are.

You cannot simply make a judgement based on a single year - you need to look at the trend and the context of the company's overall position.

Frankly that balance sheet needs an awful lot of work.

http://dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/2430/2013EnglishAnnualReport.pdf

Little bit misleading.

They have already implemented the cuts to themselves.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Firstly, nobody is looking for sympathy off anyone.
    Its a bit more complicated than just the pay cut. In reality they want around €6000 off each person on the lower end of the scale. They say that the pay would be restored to its present rate at the end of 28 months but still havent given a guarantee that the company would be in a position to do so at the end of it.
    Why should the staff have to take cut in wages to steady the ship (or train in this matter ) when the part owners want more people to travel for free and not put the money into the company to pay for it?
    There are other cuts involved as well apart from the pay.
    If the money will be there to restore the rates after 28 months then the Unions didnt bother looking for the 7% pay rise that was due a while ago so they can go and wotsits from now on. Its strange that in the midst of cuts, that one section of the company got their pay rise only a few months ago.
    If you were getting abuse off people every day , verbal and threatened physically, wished that you would die of cancer etc, would you be happy to have you wages cut even further on top of it?
    Plug the holes and lets have an even playing field here before cutting pay even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I dont know the ins and outs of this, and i dont want to stir anything, so maybe someone can confirm - have staff taken any form of a paycut over the last number of years?

Slattsy wrote: »
    I dont know the ins and outs of this, and i dont want to stir anything, so maybe someone can confirm - have staff taken any form of a paycut over the last number of years?

Not against core pay however they agreed to reduced terms and conditions 2 years ago in return for leaving core pay alone till 2016. Lets also not forget not only all the new taxes introduced by the government as well as the water taxes otw and the fact pay has been frozen since 2007. Now theyre back trying to railroad cuts through again thereby breaking the previous agreement. On top of this the government keeps cutting the subsidy to undermine the company while management keep filling their own jobs. There was even a management job advertised internally the same week they announced the pay cuts not to mention a continuous stream of them being advertised over the last year or so. All the while frontline jobs like booking offices where the customers are are left unfilled. Hell its gotten so bad in some places they have to keep asking people to come in on overtime such is the lack of staff in these grades.

If it were simply just over a few euro it might seem petty but theres more factors in this and its all of these that are coming around to create this not least of all is trust. Without that there can be no agreement because how can you make a deal if the other side keeps breaking their agreements.

Theres little chance of a last minute reprieve, Franks being on holidays during a strike he triggered pretty much sums up his attitude to the workers in general. That and the fact that while the unions have said they remain available the management havent shifted their arse in the slightest to avert it.

The fact the unions are going on strike on what are set to be very lucrative days only worsens the company's financial position and does little to further their cause.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    In reality they want around €6000 off each person on the lower end of the scale.
    1.7% of €56,000 is €952.

Can you explain how you arrived at €6000 for those paid at the low end?

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    The fact the unions are going on strike on what are set to be very lucrative days only worsens the company's financial position and does little to further their cause.

And yet theyre only happening because of unilatereral action by management. The unions are only reacting but besides that would it be any better if it was an all out strike? Dont nessesarily agree its the best option but at the same time dont see any other option either.

Advertisement