Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail strike days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why are people so fasinated with what others have and don't have ?
    ireland. the land of the begrudgers. and keep up with the joneses

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It makes trips to your selected GP free basically.
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    None and its only at selected GP's.

So which is it? 2.80 per week for free GP cover or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JayRoc wrote: »
    I very much appreciate your honesty, no-one made you come here and detail pay scales, benefits, etc. Fair play...sincerely.

But as someone who's been working full-time since the age of seventeen and who has spent a lot on his continuing education... to still end up, most weeks, taking home something close to the minimum industrial wage, I can't help but wonder at the mentality of people who'd strike because they're being asked to temporarily give up 10-15 quid a week while earning a minimum of 36,000 PA at the "lowest end of the pay scale", while having to fork out all of 2.80 a week for FREE GP cover for them and their entire family?

Personally I would crawl over broken glass to have those kind of pay/conditions.
    its not over the pay cut though. its the catlist yes but all the other issues which are more important have caused this.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

I have come to the conclusion that there are so many vested interests that post in this forum that a reasonable and rational discussion is not possible. For every one member of the public there seems to be a multiple that have some connection to IE or trains that are willing to shout everyone else down.

As they say on Dragons Den, for that reason I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here's a few questions that I would ask the employees of Irish Rail.

Could you tell us how many managers have been employed in the company say over a five year period, who are in either in a temporary or permanent employment contract? Are these managers employed with corporate communications, i.e. with the likes of Barry Kenny and so forth?

What is the general experience of these managers who work with it's frontline staff?

How many hours do they work on average per day in the company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I stand up for what I believe is right.

Don't be a sheep and follow the rest to the bottom.

Why don't we all work for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It's €2.80 a week for me and i had to pick my GP.

It's €2.80 a week for me and i had to pick my GP.

Jesus, you sound like a politician! So you DO get free GP care after paying 2.80 per week? Righto.

Here's a few questions that I would ask the employees of Irish Rail.

How many managers have been employed in the company say over a five year period, who are in either in temporary or permanent employment? Are these managers employed with corporate communications, i.e. with the likes of Barry Kenny and so forth?

What is your experience of these managers who work with it's frontline staff?

How many hours do they work on average per day in the company?

Current managers in IE are an odd breed because they are usually people who have never experienced your job and they are more interested in cutting costs than providing the customer with a good experience or providing staff with a safe work environment.

All they care about is the elimination of overtime, "safety" stuff (that is the most important thing in the company now, sorry customers!) and the cutting of other expenditure.

Basically they are penny pinchers who don't know what is going on at the ground level but they get paid a fortune for showing up for a few hours Mon to Fri. I genuinely have zero respect for our new manager who has been in-situ for 2-ish years because he has no idea how my job is done and he hides in his office when problems arise.

Jesus, you sound like a politician! So you DO get free GP care after paying 2.80 per week? Righto.

I feel like i answered the question fully.

No need to get excited, sweetie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

How is it free if he's already paying €2.80/week???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Pretty much.

Disregard the fact that a lot of IE employees work 48 hours a week, evenings, weekends, at the crack of dawn and long after sundown for a flat rate pay which is a little bit over the national average wage and the front-line folks are nearly guaranteed to be threatened with physical violence by the "vulnerable" free travel holders roughly twice a week (the last guy who did it to me this very week told me i wouldn't even see it coming as he was an inch from my face shouting at me, lovely :eek:).

We're all just spongers who do nuthin' but drink tae and laugh at the passengers. We should all be fired and hired back on minimum wage and be glad of it.

To be fair, there are a few that shouldnt be there and have some neck to strike.

I feel like i answered the question fully.

No need to get excited, sweetie.
    I only took umbrage as Hilly Bill seemed to be contradicting you, honestly wasn't intended as a pop at you. Honeychops.
    :)

Read that back to yourself and see if it makes sense. If you pay for something, its not free then is it?

may06 wrote: »
    How is it free if he's already paying €2.80/week???

That, dear boy, is why I carefully typed the word "after". And if anyone is arguing the toss over paying 2.80 pw for free GP care, I don't know what to say to them.

And that's coming from a man who's seen a GP twice in 19 years.

Tube wrote: »
    I don't think so bit if I'm totally honest I can't remember. The gp charges €60 for the letter which it doesn't cover. I do remember that!

If the GP sends you to A&E i dont think you have to pay the €100 charge.

Off topic i know but look into it and find out exactly what you are covered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Current managers in IE are an odd breed because they are usually people who have never experienced your job and they are more interested in cutting costs than providing the customer with a good experience or providing staff with a safe work environment.

All they care about is the elimination of overtime, "safety" stuff (that is the most important thing in the company now, sorry customers!) and the cutting of other expenditure.

Basically they are penny pinchers who don't know what is going on at the ground level but they get paid a fortune for showing up for a few hours Mon to Fri. I genuinely have zero respect for our new manager who has been in-situ for 2-ish years because he has no idea how my job is done and he hides in his office when problems arise.

Could you please elaborate by what you mean when you say Safety Stuff within Irish Rail (the part that I highlighted in bold).

What type of experience does your manager had to get to be employed by Irish Rail? Specifically how many hours does they work per day?

Oh and thanks for the feedback btw.

Tube wrote: »
    In fairness this thread is about IE and their pay and conditions. A full picture is required so that people can inform themselves and come to an opinion.

And some think that just because they have had pay cuts then everyone else must accept them as well. All that does is drive pay across the country to the bottom if nobody stands up for theirs.

That, dear boy, is why I carefully typed the word "after". And if anyone is arguing the toss over paying 2.80 pw for free GP care, I don't know what to say to them.

ITS NOT FREE IS IT :).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And some think that just because they have had pay cuts then everyone else must accept them as well. All that does is drive pay across the country to the bottom if nobody stands up for theirs.

Its not as simple as that, why should more of taxpayers money go to Irish Rail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It's go only some get value some don't 150 a year which is 3 visits
    Which is probably an average maybe less have been to the doctors once in tge last 10 years so it has cost me 1500 for that visit

noodler wrote: »

Why should the government be allowed to drive down wages across this country when people have fought to get them to a decent level? Im talking about all sectors of employment not just IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

noodler wrote: »

In Britain the subsidy is 4 billion to a privatised railway

ITS NOT FREE IS IT :).
    No, fair enough. I perhaps should've said "no charge after 2.80 per week".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Some people took pay cuts to save their jobs and without them they would have lost their jobs. I did and I am glad for one I did seeing our competitors go out of business in some cases.

Are you saying they should have "stood up for their rights" even if it meant them getting redundant or the company closing down? Come on, the kind of mentality you have is fine in an economic boom, but we're far from in one the last few years.

Though it is amusing to read people who are on very good salaries blame the lower paid people for their problems, then also blame the higher paid people for the state of their company. So basically everyone else is to blame apart from themselves.

Get Real.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Its not free...which bit do you not understand - 2.80/week is paid..There's a difference between something thats' free and something thats subsidised you know?

devnull wrote: »
    Some people took pay cuts to save their jobs and without them they would have lost their jobs. I did and I am glad for one I did seeing our competitors go out of business in some cases.

Are you saying they should have "stood up for their rights" even if it meant them getting redundant or the company closing down? Come on, the kind of mentality you have is fine in an economic boom, but we're far from in one the last few years.

Though it is amusing to read people who are on very good salaries blame the lower paid people for their problems, then also blame the higher paid people for the state of their company. So basically everyone else is to blame apart from themselves.

Get Real.

Was one of the major shareholders of that company the government?

So what other benefits do you guys get apart from free travel?

Health Insurance?
    Family Travel?
    Discounted Gym Membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I have an IR annual ticket Gormanston to Pearse (and I pay handsomely for the pleasure). I had no intention of travelling by IR on Sunday or Monday last. However I'm almost sure I'll have to take a hit in the next few weeks. It could be a bus fare, petrol to drive to Dublin City & parking, etc. An IR refund on the day won't cover the hit.

I'm going to apply for credit for last Sunday and Monday. Any thoughts? :confused: Shoot me now for the dishonesty!

• Advertisement

Was one of the major shareholders of that company the government?

I'm not going to go into explicit details the shareholders of my previous or current employers on a public forum for obvious reasons, but no, we were not government owned.

But the shareholders in question had no more money to give, since they had other businesses that were struggling in the recession as well, all which had to make sacrifices just like the government now in this country where all parts of the public sector and other semi states are hit.

I know you guys got used to Bertie Ahern solving every single strike by writing out a cheque for however much money you wanted, but spending money like there is no tomorrow and constantly throwing it around like it's going out of fashion speaks volumes about why this country was brought to it's knees.

Look at all the problems Ireland had before the boom and after, for all the money we had what did it achieve? Very little to the average joe on the streets, but instead we have a very well paid public sector and people in the semi states that are paid a hell of a lot more on average than most countries.

Neither a private or a public model of transport works 100% since in both models you have a problem with greed. In the private model the shareholders are the ones with the greed problem, and in the public model the workers are the ones who are greed, so really there isn't much between them, just different parties syphooning off the money for their own vested interests.

Advertisement