Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL first years 2014-2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Did anyone register their modules yet or do we do that next week??

Next week

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niamhmoloney0

Ompala wrote: »
    Next week

Okay thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Where are we supposed to be at 8.45 tommorrow? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Find it both hard and easy to make friends :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Where are we supposed to be at 8.45 tommorrow? Anyone?

Concert Hall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Only finished my orientation now. It's nice for the tour for 1st years but it's absolutely exhausting! Got tons of new information, enrolled and got my student card

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Only finished my orientation now. It's nice for the tour for 1st years but it's absolutely exhausting! Got tons of new information, enrolled and got my student card

It can be overwhelming and you probably will forgot a lot of what you were told and where you're meant to go for certain things, but you'll eventually remember/figure stuff out.

Out of curiosity, what kinda stuff did ye get in the little orientation bag things, apart from the typical Pot Noodles and Rice Krispie bars? :P

iLaura wrote: »
    It can be overwhelming and you probably will forgot a lot of what you were told and where you're meant to go for certain things, but you'll eventually remember/figure stuff out.

Out of curiosity, what kinda stuff did ye get in the little orientation bag things, apart from the typical Pot Noodles and Rice Krispie bars? :P

In the Irish Times bag? We got Student diary, curry and rice packets, a condom, a few discount card for O'Briens and Abra Kebabra and a ton of advertisement pages plus a CD from the band Crush 87 I think?

In the Irish Times bag? We got Student diary, curry and rice packets, a condom, a few discount card for O'Briens and Abra Kebabra and a ton of advertisement pages plus a CD from the band Crush 87 I think?

Moving up in the world with your CDs :P I don't remember getting anything as fancy as that. You might find some of the ad pages to be useful, and I know that they usually give out a free entry into the Arena, which would be helpful if you're thinking of joining the gym and want to get a feel of the place

Moving up in the world with your CDs :P I don't remember getting anything as fancy as that. You might find some of the ad pages to be useful, and I know that they usually give out a free entry into the Arena, which would be helpful if you're thinking of joining the gym and want to get a feel of the place

Didn't get the free entry to the Arena although we got a tour of it today. It's actually unbelievable with the amount of facilities there is! So joining it next week!

• Advertisement

Didn't get the free entry to the Arena although we got a tour of it today. It's actually unbelievable with the amount of facilities there is! So joining it next week!

Oh, they usually give out the free pass thingy, at least they have the last two years. Unless its buried under all the other ad pages and stuff. I never got to do a tour of it during my orientation, which leads to me still managing to get lost whenever I go :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hey! My orientation is tomorrow! What did they say about SUSI grants. It says on my account I have 1375 to pay by the 5th of September but I will most likely be getting the grant to pay for this. Did anyone else in the same situation get it sorted today? And how did everyone who went without knowing anyone in orientation get on?

Hey! My orientation is tomorrow! What did they say about SUSI grants. It says on my account I have 1375 to pay by the 5th of September but I will most likely be getting the grant to pay for this. Did anyone else in the same situation get it sorted today? And how did everyone who went without knowing anyone in orientation get on?

For the enrolment, you queue up, they ask you for your student id number, then you go to the next person who asks you for your ID (passport or whatever) and then you get your photo taken and given a student card. All of that in 10mins. Nobody mentioned a thing about the fees or anything. Got my loan come through today so I'll be paying for half of it now and wait till SUSI gets back to me for the other half

Usually what happens in relation to SUSI is that you have until around the end of October to show the fees office a copy of the letter from SUSI saying you were awarded a grant and thats it.

Usually what happens in relation to SUSI is that you have until around the end of October to show the fees office a copy of the letter from SUSI saying you were awarded a grant and thats it.

And you don't have to pay anything for fees? Just leave it to SUSI?

And you don't have to pay anything for fees? Just leave it to SUSI?

Nope, just leave it all up to SUSI and go on your merry way :P the only thing is, is that the queues up at the fees and SAA are stupidly long for the first few weeks so you'd wanna go show them the letter when you've at least an hour or two off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Nobody said a thing about any fees to me. We were asked if we completed the finance task but that was about it.

I went in without knowing anybody, it was fine I guess. Not really a lot of time to meet people today anyway, was just sort of shuffled around from place to place on tour.

Where do you register your modules? Is it on si.ul.ie or SULIS? I can't access SULIS at all for some reason but can access si.ul.ie

Where do you register your modules? Is it on si.ul.ie or SULIS? I can't access SULIS at all for some reason but can access si.ul.ie

You register them through si.ul.ie, but registration doesnt open till Monday, and then you have 5 days to do so or you'll be fined. You wont get access to modules on SULIS until you register for the module, afaik

You register them through si.ul.ie, but registration doesnt open till Monday, and then you have 5 days to do so or you'll be fined. You wont get access to modules on SULIS until you register for the module, afaik

As that's alright then! I was thinking it's done on SULIS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Question: what's afaik? D:

As Far As I Know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 the_ellenator

*facepalm* Thanks guy I'm such a noob!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

Did anyone who had orientation today bring proof of payment of fees and if so, did they actually look at it?

CheyK wrote: »
    Did anyone who had orientation today bring proof of payment of fees and if so, did they actually look at it?

We were asked our student id number (which they also give us a little earlier if you forget it), and then they checked on the computer if you did the finance task or not. That was it for me.
    I didn't bring anything at all today. Though people around me seemed a lot more prepared with passports, and printed out emails, pictures, etc. They never asked for any of it anyway.

We were asked our student id number (which they also give us a little earlier if you forget it), and then they checked on the computer if you did the finance task or not. That was it for me.
    I didn't bring anything at all today. Though people around me seemed a lot more prepared with passports, and printed out emails, pictures, etc. They never asked for any of it anyway.

If you didn't bring a passport you'll get a text from UL in a week or two asking to bring it to the SAA so that they can verify that it is actually you.

If you didn't bring a passport you'll get a text from UL in a week or two asking to bring it to the SAA so that they can verify that it is actually you.

I was thinking it seemed odd. Seemed awfully easy for some random lad to walk in off the street and pretend to be someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

That's ok! I have my passport but don't have any physical proof of payment and no way of getting it for tomorrow.

I was thinking it seemed odd. Seemed awfully easy for some random lad to walk in off the street and pretend to be someone else.

Yup, and sure any eejit can make up a student number, once its 8 digits long and starts with 1415 (at least I assume that's what all ye're student numbers are starting off with this year). You'd just be unlucky to make up a student ID that belonged to a girl if you're a guy, or vice versa...

• Advertisement

Literally all I have to bring tomorrow is my passport :)

Advertisement