Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

cxxlin wrote: »
    My parents called me down to say that they can't afford to send me anywhere but UL, since I live close to it and I've never felt so disappointed. I know they can't help it, but I just wanted to reinvent myself. I don't want to stay home for college :(

Nothing to do but turn this into a positive situation.

You won't have to pay for rent now, and basic essentials you have already. Get a job part time and save up money.

Work on skills and improve on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

cxxlin wrote: »
    My parents called me down to say that they can't afford to send me anywhere but UL, since I live close to it and I've never felt so disappointed. I know they can't help it, but I just wanted to reinvent myself. I don't want to stay home for college :(

UL has a fantastic campus with top facilities. I, like others have said, would turn this situation into a positive one. For example, finding rented accommodation in Dublin now is an absolute nightmare! Think of the money you'll be spending on rent, electricity, transport etc.. This money could be put towards your future studies or maybe a nice holiday/J1

Academic diary
    Bio book
    Chemistry Live book
    Maths - What exactly do I need for HL maths?
    2 x log/experiment books
    Copies/Pens/Folders

Anything else I am missing?

I can't believe I'll be returning to education to do a PLC/LC at 28, nearly 29!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

GeneralC wrote: »
    Academic diary
    Bio book
    Chemistry Live book
    Maths - What exactly do I need for HL maths?
    2 x log/experiment books
    Copies/Pens/Folders

Anything else I am missing?

I can't believe I'll be returning to education to do a PLC/LC at 28, nearly 29!

Make sure to check the syllabus for each subject. Not all text books cover all the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

spurious wrote: »
    Nobody will care. You might not believe that now, but they won't.
    Yeah, I hope so. I'll be 19 leaving but this year will probably be a blessing in disguise and of course, hindsight is 20 20 and I'm in a much better position psychologically having been through it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Parachutes wrote: »
    Yeah, I hope so. I'll be 19 leaving but this year will probably be a blessing in disguise and of course, hindsight is 20 20 and I'm in a much better position psychologically having been through it last year.

I'm going to be 19 leaving the first time never mind repeating!

I know a lad who was 21 leaving school.. Never held back.

How do you guys remember quotes? I mean like do you not get mixed up with having so many quotes in the Shakespearian style?

Just made a quotes list and I'm phased how I'm going to avoid mixing and chopping them up :o.

Do you guys think getting a B3 in HL Chemistry, Biology and Maths is achievable for someone who hasn't previously done Chemistry and the fact I haven't opened a Maths book in over a decade? Do you think Physics is an 'easier' subject over Chemistry?

So I'm taking up Geography as an eight subject not having done it before. Would a C1 or a B3 be a realistic aim? can anyone suggest where to start, revision books etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

So I'm taking up Geography as an eight subject not having done it before. Would a C1 or a B3 be a realistic aim? can anyone suggest where to start, revision books etc ?

Depending on how good u are, I'd say a C1 would b more realistic. Probably start of with the easier chapters like volcanoes and rocks, but make sure your notes are geared towards exam questions :)

• Advertisement

Rachel98 wrote: »
    Depending on how good u are, I'd say a C1 would b more realistic. Probably start of with the easier chapters like volcanoes and rocks, but make sure your notes are geared towards exam questions :)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. In general would you find the physical stuff more difficult? Think I'll spend the majority of my weekend study doing a "crash-course" to try to get some way up to speed. I'm told the volume is a lot so it seems I'll be spending a good amount of time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. In general would you find the physical stuff more difficult? Think I'll spend the majority of my weekend study doing a "crash-course" to try to get some way up to speed. I'm told the volume is a lot so it seems I'll be spending a good amount of time on it.

Good luck with that :) Yeah some of the physical stuff isn't too bad like rivers, but there's a lot of it. I prefer the regional although I've only done Ireland and just starting the Paris basin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Are any other teachers really frustrating about giving homework back? Like two of my teachers have taken over a week to correct two written pieces and I just really thought we'd be a priority this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

lumosteph wrote: »
    Are any other teachers really frustrating about giving homework back? Like two of my teachers have taken over a week to correct two written pieces and I just really thought we'd be a priority this year..

Depends on the teacher. My english teacher took our comparatives in Jan and gave them back a week before the leaving, kinda ridiculous

Kremin wrote: »
    Depends on the teacher. My english teacher took our comparatives in Jan and gave them back a week before the leaving, kinda ridiculous

That's crazy! It's just really annoying me because all up until sixth year their excuses for being late were 'oh we have sixth year homework to correct and their our top concern!' But it doesn't seem like their practicing that this year even if it's only the first week back.

lumosteph wrote: »

+1

How are you meant to improve and be efficient if you're waiting for some feedback and homework to be returned :/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

The various illnesses are starting to make their way through my school at the moment, exceptionally early this year. Usually people don't start to miss days until the end of October.

I won't miss the overcrowding and the stuffy environments after next June. 6th years in my school are designated an outside area in a courtyard at lunch time, and when it rains... We have nowhere to sit. Too many students.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Has anyone been to or going to the open day in queens university tomorrow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

DA7800 wrote:
    The various illnesses are starting to make their way through my school at the moment, exceptionally early this year. Usually people don't start to miss days until the end of October.

It's ironic that I said this only yesterday, as I'm now dying sick today. Really messed up my weekend. Barely have the energy to move...

But anyway, enough complaining. I have a question for the rest of you: When, in your opinion, is the right time of year to ask somebody to go to the debs/grads? I have no clue how early/late I'm supposed to ask someone, so I could use a little help. My school's debs committee will be setting a price/looking for money fairly soon from what I hear. It got me thinking, anyway.

DA7800 wrote: »
    It's ironic that I said this only yesterday, as I'm now dying sick today. Really messed up my weekend. Barely have the energy to move...

But anyway, enough complaining. I have a question for the rest of you: When, in your opinion, is the right time of year to ask somebody to go to the debs/grads? I have no clue how early/late I'm supposed to ask someone, so I could use a little help. My school's debs committee will be setting a price/looking for money fairly soon from what I hear. It got me thinking, anyway.

Sorry to hear you're feeling unwell - flu season is upon us. Regarding the debs, I don't think there is such thing as a "right time" to ask someone to go. I would say if you have someone in mind, then just go for it. Don't try analyse the situation too much and spend weeks trying to find that perfect moment.

• Advertisement

Starting my repeat Leaving Cert on Monday. There is no doubt I'll be oldest in the class at 28. Wish me luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I won't miss the overcrowding and the stuffy environments after next June. 6th years in my school are designated an outside area in a courtyard at lunch time, and when it rains... We have nowhere to sit. Too many students.
    Hate to tell ye, but most colleges are even more overcrowded. Unless you're lucky enough to be in a course with small numbers, expect to be taking turns sitting on the steps of lecture theatres!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hate to tell ye, but most colleges are even more overcrowded. Unless you're lucky enough to be in a course with small numbers, expect to be taking turns sitting on the steps of lecture theatres!

What colleges does this happen in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

As was said already if you have someone in mind you might as well just go ahead and ask her. I left it a bit late last year (March, I needed a bit of liquid courage to ask) and the girl that I asked had already asked some lad from another school. In the end though she ended up going with me :) If you ask this early though you should have no problems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    What colleges does this happen in?
    I'd say "what colleges doesn't it happen in?" would be more accurate tbh. I've heard people complaining from the bigger courses in a fair few.

What usually happens ofc as term goes on is that attendance drops due to too much social life, and it "solves" the problem. Most colleges though are straining at the seams; too little investment in facilities from government over the last few years, added to more students looking for college places, added to a need to admit more students on the part of colleges to balance the books, as general day-to-day funding from govt. has been cut roughly 6% per year for the last 5/6 years. Catch 22.

Anyone going to Higher Options this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

Cxxlin, try get a scholarship and/or SUSI!

I'm going Higher Options Thursday but haven't poanned it out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

Guys, today I had accounting and maths grinds today after school and I was exhausted, so I went to bed (hoping it would be an hour or two) but I just got up there now and have lots of homework to do and a bite of study. I am literally freaking out should I go to bed now and wake up early or should I do it now? Oh God 6th year is so stressful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Guys, today I had accounting and maths grinds today after school and I was exhausted, so I went to bed (hoping it would be an hour or two) but I just got up there now and have lots of homework to do and a bite of study. I am literally freaking out should I go to bed now and wake up early or should I do it now? Oh God 6th year is so stressful :(

Do the homework now till 12, and then if the study is optional do it tomorrow, or even wake up a bit early.
    I had the same case as you, I came home from school at 5, tired and groggy, went to sleep till 7.30.
    Here I am....
    Luckily I only got maths homework and rest study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Anyone going to Higher Options in the the RDS tomorrow?

Advertisement