Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

I'm the only LC student in Ireland who happens to do Italian and know how to use the Internet...

You use Memrise too? Nice to know theres a good few people who do. It's really useful. Maybe if we can get a list of names, we can set up a group on it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Consonata wrote: »
    Yeah ikr? maybe if 4 or 5 of us are using it we can set up a group for people on boards to join.bitta fun

Not really. :p

hubluh wrote: »

True, but like as much fun as studying can be like lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Studying is always fun mate ;)

How are people studying for French Oral around here. Are you Learning off pieces of writing or Just lots Of vocab on each of the topics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

How are people studying for French Oral around here. Are you Learning off pieces of writing or Just lots Of vocab on each of the topics ?
    Haven't really stared learning stuff yet but for 5th year oral I learned off good phrases more than vocab with the subjonctif and other tenses.. Apart from that just used vocab I've built up already

People doing applied maths.. what questions have you done/are you doing? And do you think an A is achievable if I took it up now? Averaging a high B in maths and A/B in physics but that's with a fair amount of work.. Do you need to be super mathsy or would hard work be enough? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

For me it's pieces of writing anyways! Like under school I have three paragraphs just learned off (one on my school & subjects, one on my uniform and one on what I want to do next year).
    Beca19 wrote: »
    People doing applied maths.. what questions have you done/are you doing? And do you think an A is achievable if I took it up now? Averaging a high B in maths and A/B in physics but that's with a fair amount of work.. Do you need to be super mathsy or would hard work be enough? :P

I think it'd be possible to achieve an A-grade now if you took it up, but it'd take a bit of work.

So far we've done: Q.1, Q.2, Q.3, Q.4 and Q.5. We're just finishing up Q.3 at the moment (we did projectiles on a horizontal plane last year so we're doing it on an inclined plane now). I know we're doing Question 10 as well but we're waiting until we've done Differentiation in Maths first and we're doing another question too as a back-up but our teacher hasn't said which yet :o

Honestly, if you're good at maths and good at Physics give it a go! Start with Question 1 and give it a try and see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

started in september and i got an A2, definitely possible.

Kremin wrote: »
    started in september and i got an A2, definitely possible.

Motivational :) what did you get for maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Motivational :) what did you get for maths?

A1 in LC, 67% in the Mocks iirc.

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »

Honestly, if you're good at maths and good at Physics give it a go! Start with Question 1 and give it a try and see how it goes!

Aw okay thank you Bazinga :D what question did you find the most difficult so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Aw okay thank you Bazinga :D what question did you find the most difficult so far?
    Probably Question 3 tbh :o It gets a bit confusing at times but it's still not too bad! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

We're still 'in-waiting' 6th years :rolleyes:

No longer! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

How would one find the equation of the tangent to the curve f(x)=xsquared-6x at the point where x=2.
    I have derived it, found the slope which works out at -2, but from there on I don't know what to do.

iCrazzy wrote: »
    How would one find the equation of the tangent to the curve f(x)=xsquared-6x at the point where x=2.
    I have derived it, found the slope which works out at -2, but from there on I don't know what to do.

F (2) = 2^2 - 6 (2) =-8 therefore point = (2,-8)

Then use the y-y1=m (x-x1) formula

Could be completely wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Can anyone kindly recommend what books/materials are needed for LC HL Bio and Chemistry and OL Maths? I'll be sitting as an external candiadate Thanks

GeneralC wrote: »
    Can anyone kindly recommend what books/materials are needed for LC HL Bio and Chemistry and OL Maths? I'll be sitting as an external candiadate Thanks
    We use Leaving Cert Biology by Michael Callaghan which seems to be perfect so far.. For Chemistry it's Chemistry Live which is a good book but can be hard enough to follow sometimes without a teacher and OL maths use Active Maths 3 but I don't know if it's good or not - Active Maths 4 (HL) is decent though. A lot of schools use texts and tests too I think :)

EDIT: You'll need copies obviously for questions, a log table, calculator, past papers and scientific notebooks for Bio and Chem experiments. Workbooks if you want them and binders/hardbacks for notes. Also studyclix.ie is a good website especially for Biology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

We use Leaving Cert Biology by Michael Callaghan which seems to be perfect so far.. For Chemistry it's Chemistry Live which is a good book but can be hard enough to follow sometimes without a teacher and OL maths use Active Maths 3 but I don't know if it's good or not - Active Maths 4 (HL) is decent though. A lot of schools use texts and tests too I think :)

EDIT: You'll need copies obviously for questions, a log table, calculator, past papers and scientific notebooks for Bio and Chem experiments. Workbooks if you want them and binders/hardbacks for notes. Also studyclix.ie is a good website especially for Biology!

Thanks Beca19. How are you finding the maths? would there be a significant difference between the HL and OL maths?

Is there many going to the UCD Open Day? I'm really really excited for it. It looks fantastic

GeneralC wrote: »
    Thanks Beca19. How are you finding the maths? would there be a significant difference between the HL and OL maths?

I don't find HL too hard but it requires a lot of work.. There definitely is a significant difference though - take a look at both of the papers yourself! Having said that though a lot of people who wouldn't normally take up higher level now do it because of the bonus points and usually manage to at least pass! If you're capable of even a solid D in HL I'd say go for it seeing as a D3 is worth more points than an A1 in OL :)

• Advertisement

Is there many going to the UCD Open Day? I'm really really excited for it. It looks fantastic

When is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Anyone going to higher options?

kb98 wrote: »
    Anyone going to higher options?

Yeah, armed with tones of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Yeah, armed with tones of questions.
    Ha same! Gonna have a route of stands I want to go to😂 are you going on the friday?

kb98 wrote: »
    Ha same! Gonna have a route of stands I want to go to😂 are you going on the friday?

Yeah the Friday.

Should be a good day, but don't know how I'd decide between engineering and science. UCD and TCD both have nice courses but TCD is way closer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Starting my repeat LC year tomorrow :( Going through the ordeal once again. I'll be a bloody man-child leaving school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Does anyone else here ever feel like they're doing the wrong subject?.
    I'm not sure if I should be doing Construction instead of biology (they're opposite)
    But I'm not sure!

Its Nov. 5th Guys for the UCD open day. NUIG is beginning of october.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cxxlin

My parents called me down to say that they can't afford to send me anywhere but UL, since I live close to it and I've never felt so disappointed. I know they can't help it, but I just wanted to reinvent myself. I don't want to stay home for college :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Parachutes wrote: »
    Starting my repeat LC year tomorrow :( Going through the ordeal once again. I'll be a bloody man-child leaving school.

Nobody will care. You might not believe that now, but they won't.
    cxxlin wrote: »
    My parents called me down to say that they can't afford to send me anywhere but UL, since I live close to it and I've never felt so disappointed. I know they can't help it, but I just wanted to reinvent myself. I don't want to stay home for college :(

Could you take a couple of years out, get a job and save some money?

Advertisement