Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

GeneralC wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a list/breakdown of the chemistry/biology experiments?
    Chemistry:

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/7bdd3def-f492-432f-886f-35fc56bd3544/SCSEC09_Chemistry_syllabus_Eng.pdf

All the experiments are listed under 'Activities' with their corresponding topics.

Biology:

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/0cc3a7ac-fd8c-4612-8e4d-81cd82482abc/SCSEC07_Biology_Syllabus_Eng.pdf

All the experiments are listed under 'Practical Activities' with their corresponding topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Is there any advantage of buying one of these lab books from companies like Folens?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Is there any advantage of buying one of these lab books from companies like Folens?

If you want help with the form of the write-ups yes, but if a teacher can show you how to write them up properly then there's no need really.. I spose it might save you a bit of time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

I got it from a friend who did chemistry Last year :) Great book but if you can get it second hand it wud save ye money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Sorry for all the q's. Best revision book for Chemistry/Bio HL and OL Maths? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

You could just search it up on google..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry for all the q's. Best revision book for Chemistry/Bio HL and OL Maths? Thanks!

To be honest, your best revision book in most subjects will be notes you have made yourself.
    The making of the notes is revision in itself.

For Maths, practice is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

Oh guys, i'm studying religion for the leaving cert and I was wondering if you can write bullet points for an answer instead of essay style answer would I lose marks. This is only if I run out of time in an exam. I know it's early but it's best to know now then later. Religion is similar to history so i'm asking history students as well

thanks
    Shaun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh guys, i'm studying religion for the leaving cert and I was wondering if you can write bullet points for an answer instead of essay style answer would I lose marks. This is only if I run out of time in an exam. I know it's early but it's best to know now then later. Religion is similar to history so i'm asking history students as well

thanks
    Shaun

If it's your last answer and you're running out of time, yes, but don't answer everything in bullet points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Taps are driving me mental, doing work on the history of them tonight. Trying to go for the water taps since that's what my tap is. All I get when searching through things is evolution of the supply of water. Obviously got some stuff but not enough to cover a page. Trying to juggle so much these few weeks now with monthly tests, projects, essays (our English teacher is relentless) and then the Irish oral stuff is actually driving me mad even at OL.

Honestly the way Irish is examined is an utter joke, in my opinion it just kills the language even more to force it on people like they currently do. I'm not born in Ireland though so it could just be me and my Britishness coming through. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

Taps are driving me mental, doing work on the history of them tonight. Trying to go for the water taps since that's what my tap is. All I get when searching through things is evolution of the supply of water. Obviously got some stuff but not enough to cover a page. Trying to juggle so much these few weeks now with monthly tests, projects, essays (our English teacher is relentless) and then the Irish oral stuff is actually driving me mad even at OL.

Honestly the way Irish is examined is an utter joke, in my opinion it just kills the language even more to force it on people like they currently do. I'm not born in Ireland though so it could just be me and my Britishness coming through. :P

No, it's not just your Britishness. I went to an all-Irish primary school, and did my JC through Irish, and I actually hate the language myself... it's so badly structured compared to English or French (my other languages) and just has exceptions all over the place. I'm dreading the oral for HL because I don't like the language enough to study for it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

We got our CAO handbooks today in my school. It's starting to feel like the end is near!

DA7800 wrote:
    We got our CAO handbooks today in my school. It's starting to feel like the end is near!

Please read it so that you understand how the CAO works and how to fill in your form.
    It's scary how many people don't, leading to all sorts of trouble later on.

spurious wrote:
    Please read it so that you understand how the CAO works and how to fill in your form. It's scary how many people don't, leading to all sorts of trouble later on.

I finished the white pages last night, I was a little bit eager. Most of it is information that has been circulated around by way of questions to teachers anyway, just laid out nice and clear in one place. You're right though, it would be very easy for somebody to simply skim and not have all of the information.

Now all I have to do is decide on the preference of some of the courses I'll be putting further down on my list. I have my top 5 picked and in order of preference, just the other 5 to go. I'm probably doing this far too early, given that we only register in November, but I suppose it helps to be prepared. Knowing what you want to do is half the battle, or so I've been told.

Better be early than asking on the last day 'will they take late applications?' - and you can be sure there will be at least one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Went to the careers exhibition in Limerick today. It was a very good event I must say even though we only had under an hour for us to get around to see the groups we needed to see (thanks to the bus drivers having other ideas about when we needed to be back). First thing I did was go and have a look at Intel's stand which was super interesting to see the applications of the Galileo dev board. Obviously asked them about the areas they look to get employees from. They gave free packets of haribo sweets, was kind of hoping to get maybe a skylake processor but hey I'll take what I'm offered.

Then after that had a rather long chat with a lecturer in the UL Science & Engineering department about doing a physics course in UL. I kind of had an idea already what the courses I'm looking at entailed but it was really handy to actually be able to have a discussion with someone who works in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

For geography do u have 2 write the regional answers in Srp form? My teacher says I shouldn't b writing them like essays after correcting my exam Qs. First time she's said this

Rachel98 wrote: »
    For geography do u have 2 write the regional answers in Srp form? My teacher says I shouldn't b writing them like essays after correcting my exam Qs. First time she's said this

SRPs are found and corrected from within essays - if she is suggesting answering the whole exam in bullet points, I wouldn't listen to her.

Is anybody attending the NUI Galway open day tomorrow? I will be making the journey from Cork with a few friends... That will be an experience in itself.

I'm excited to see another third level institute, I've only ever been to UCC and CIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

spurious wrote: »
    SRPs are found and corrected from within essays - if she is suggesting answering the whole exam in bullet points, I wouldn't listen to her.

Ah ok sound thanks. Yeah she's abit of an eejit anyways tbh

• Advertisement

Anyone doing physics have a good definition for polarisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Beca19 wrote: »
    Anyone doing physics have a good definition for polarisation?

I dont understand what you mean?.. Is it one for a polarised wave your looking for?

hubluh wrote: »
    I dont understand what you mean?.. Is it one for a polarised wave your looking for?

No the back of my book has a question that just says define polarisation and I don't really know what I'm supposed to say? :confused:

Beca19 wrote:
    No the back of my book has a question that just says define polarisation and I don't really know what I'm supposed to say?

Polarisation was mentioned recently in my class, we were doing current and covering charges when it was talked about. I don't have any relevant definition to give you right now, as I don't have any physics books with me. Maybe knowing where to find it will help you? I'll find it tomorrow for you if you're still uncertain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Beca19 wrote: »
    No the back of my book has a question that just says define polarisation and I don't really know what I'm supposed to say? :confused:

Polarization is the restriction of light waves to one plane. You know light waves are transverse waves are they can pass through polarized material.
    Normal light is unpolarised – vibrates in all planes. When this light reaches the Polaroid only the light vibrating in the same plane as the slits in the Polaroid will get through – all other light is stopped.The light is now said to be plane polarized. If a second Polaroid is lined up with its slits parallel it will have no effect, if its slits are perpendicular no light gets through.

Polarization, also called wave polarization, is an expression of the orientation of the lines of electric flux in an electromagnetic field is a more "advanced" way of saying it.

The definition usually goes along with the demo of it.

Further from that you can manipulate Maxwell's equations. When you do it, you end up with a wave equation which has electric and magnetic fields perpendicular to each other and with their direction of propagation. You don't need to know this but it's an interesting fact and a good idea as to know where things come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Today is the first day in sixth year where the tides between homework and personal study are clashing.

Feel overwhelmed with the amount but alas I'll attempt to juggle both today.

It's October, how's everyone coping? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Just after reading the UCD prospectus and under the CAO section it talks about how applicants may add the restricted coures(med,vet etc.) to their application during the CAO Change of Mind period, provided their CAO application at 1 Feb 2016 included the same course at another institution.
    Does that mean what I think it means:
    I can put down, lets say NUIG Med, first choice.
    Than come June, when hpat results come out, I will have clear idea if I have a chance of getting med or not, I can put down the other UCD,Trinity,UCC,RCSI for med ?
    So 6 courses going for med.
    Could I also change the order of preference, change NUIG to no.2 and put down UCD in no.1 during the change of mind ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Today is the first day in sixth year where the tides between homework and personal study are clashing.

At this stage of the year I would prioritise homework, especially since you learn most of the new material between now and Christmas. I'd start proper revision just before the mocks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just after reading the UCD prospectus and under the CAO section it talks about how applicants may add the restricted coures(med,vet etc.) to their application during the CAO Change of Mind period, provided their CAO application at 1 Feb 2016 included the same course at another institution.
    Does that mean what I think it means:
    I can put down, lets say NUIG Med, first choice.
    Than come June, when hpat results come out, I will have clear idea if I have a chance of getting med or not, I can put down the other UCD,Trinity,UCC,RCSI for med ?
    So 6 courses going for med.
    Could I also change the order of preference, change NUIG to no.2 and put down UCD in no.1 during the change of mind ?
    Yes to both.

For med, for example, you *must* have one med option at least down before the deadline for restricted courses, so that the system knows you're a med candidate / will be presenting a HPAT result / etc. etc.

You can re-order your choices or even add or subtract med courses in other institutions later provided you're already in the general pool of med applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

That's an everyday struggle for me!:( We are getting so much exams for revising and going forward.

I feel like there's so much to be done and learnt that I'll never get it all in my head. But every piece of studying gets a little more done is all I can keep telling myself :)

I still don't feel like i'm in 6th year for some strange reason.

Advertisement