Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

TheBiz wrote: »
    Anyone going to Higher Options in the the RDS tomorrow?
    Me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Me too

What courses are you guys hoping to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

hubluh wrote: »
    Me too

Medicine hbu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Me too

Not going to the higher options, was going to but not enough interest in our school and I can't be bothered now going all the way up to Dublin. Going to the event in Limerick Racecourse on the 29th with the year and then UL open day.

As for course, I've got my eyes set on Maths And Physics at UL, means I don't have to be forking out on rent and I already have my fees covered (no not money from my parents).

Beca19 wrote: »
    Medicine hbu?

Same here its either medicine or nanoscience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

For anybody doing Physics, I made a Memrise deck with all the definitions for Mechanics. If anybody is interested in using it, and has any suggestions for improving it please do say. It is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Beca19 wrote: »
    Me :)

I was expecting a lot less people!
    Our school travelled up from Galway..

Two lunch times now taken by subjects. Starting after October mid-term on Tuesday lunchtime is another maths class and on Thursday now another accounting class. On top of that I might need a Thursday lunch for DCG project if something unforeseen happens. I'm already wrecked. I don't understand then why we have two religion classes that are non-exam but not easy to get out of, it would be far more productive to give us an extra maths class or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

Two lunch times now taken by subjects. Starting after October mid-term on Tuesday lunchtime is another maths class and on Thursday now another accounting class. On top of that I might need a Thursday lunch for DCG project if something unforeseen happens. I'm already wrecked. I don't understand then why we have two religion classes that are non-exam but not easy to get out of, it would be far more productive to give us an extra maths class or something.

Ouch, that sounds rough. Extra classes are always tough, but taking them out of lunch must be soul-destroying. In my school, those doing higher level (like me) have no P.E., no religion, no pastoral care, a class less of career guidance, and so on as a result of extra classes that are needed, and one-hour classes after school for some subjects twice a week. Even at that I think I prefer what I have to missing lunch. Everybody needs a break.

That said I did extra curricular stuff during every lunchtime of every school week for the last 3 years, but given that I was sufficiently motivated and choosing to give up my time I doubt it compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I don't really understand the need for ye having all these extra classes. I did all higher level last year and the only extra classes I ever went to was 2 for geography to do the project.

• Advertisement

DA7800 wrote: »
    Ouch, that sounds rough. Extra classes are always tough, but taking them out of lunch must be soul-destroying. In my school, those doing higher level (like me) have no P.E., no religion, no pastoral care, a class less of career guidance, and so on as a result of extra classes that are needed, and one-hour classes after school for some subjects twice a week. Even at that I think I prefer what I have to missing lunch. Everybody needs a break.

That said I did extra curricular stuff during every lunchtime of every school week for the last 3 years, but given that I was sufficiently motivated and choosing to give up my time I doubt it compares.

I honestly would give up PE to do extra work, not Irish though but any other subject. Department would go nuts though and the school is due a full inspection. We only get one careers class but honestly I think it's actually quite handy, I actually know what I'm supposed to do with the CAO now. We were offered for maths to do it after school but a lot of people in the class have buses or the supervised study to do. I'll just have to keep telling myself it's only for the next few months.

Accounting we really don't need an extra class but apparently we do so I'll just go with it.... I'm honestly though not really stressed about accounting. Maths she wants the extra class so she can have the course done quicker. Since we have a smaller class now thanks to everyone dropping to ordinary level we are speeding through stuff already.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

going friday was it good??:confused::eek::rolleyes::):D

Blue giant wrote:
    I don't really understand the need for ye having all these extra classes. I did all higher level last year and the only extra classes I ever went to was 2 for geography to do the project.

I probably should have mentioned that I finish at 1 on a Wednesday which means we need to make up that time on top of any other extra classes that would be there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rachel98

Go to nuim stall because apparently they had free lollipops 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't understand then why we have two religion classes that are non-exam but not easy to get out of, it would be far more productive to give us an extra maths class or something.

The joys of a mostly religious run/owned education system.
    AFAIK Religion and Irish are the only two compulsory subjects for schools to offer.
    It's supposed to be 2 hours religion a week I think, so it could be worse.

I agree though, shocking waste of time. Even if it wasn't exam-oriented stuff, those classes could be used for life skills - how to deal with the tax system, how to budget, cook basic meals, take care of your mental health etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Does anyone know how to do Q19?

I tried it, and got an equation with a three part inequality, but got stuck with zp and -zp when I did the equation I got.

1-(1-p(z<x))+(1-p(z<x)) = 0.6368

I got another equation by using (1-0.6368) etc etc and tried to simultaneous equation the two equations but don't know that works with three inequalities.

Thanks!

BTW, x is Z1.

Yep definitely worth it (even with the trek from Galway!)
    It was very busy when I went.. Hard to walk around but it's manageable to get where you need to go.

Just make sure you know what you want to ask and try to ask someone who studied that subject (might be on tags, it was for some!)

Oh and the presence of lollipops is no word of a lie!

Anyone know if it would be possible/realistic to take up History in a year?
    I've some dodgy subject choices and may need an extra subject for points..

TheBiz wrote:
    Anyone know if it would be possible/realistic to take up History in a year? I've some dodgy subject choices and may need an extra subject for points..

I do history and I have to say if you're looking for a high grade in it there's a colossal amount of learning. Learning isn't even the hard part if you have a method developed, just ensure that you remember all of the relevant details in your essays to build up the marks. Personally I find the amount of work I have at the moment bearable but time-consuming, so I would imagine that condensing it down would put you under an awful lot of stress. Possible, but painful.

Things get complicated when you factor in the RSR though. How difficult you make that for yourself varies by the topic that you choose. You would also want to make a history teacher aware of your intentions, and fairly fast too, so you don't miss any deadlines. I'm no expert on this though so you definitely would want to talk to the relevant teacher.

Anyone go to the higher options today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

Anyone go to the higher options today?

i did :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Is it realistic to take up HL Chemistry in a year? I'd need a B3!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 QuiteHumerus

GeneralC wrote:
    Is it realistic to take up HL Chemistry in a year? I'd need a B3!

Depends on how much time you're willing to put into it. If you're repeating the full leaving cert I'd say no way but if you're doing Chemistry by itself for entry requirements its possible. Quite tough, but possible. You'd have to put a load of work into it, it's a shorter course than some but you would need to start now and spend a lot of time on it.
    Also I think you may need a teacher to sign off on your experiments although I vaguely remember of some grinds schools that you can do your experiments in. I like chemistry so if you decide to do it I'd be happy to point you in the right direction of some good resources.

Depends on how much time you're willing to put into it. If you're repeating the full leaving cert I'd say no way but if you're doing Chemistry by itself for entry requirements its possible. Quite tough, but possible. You'd have to put a load of work into it, it's a shorter course than some but you would need to start now and spend a lot of time on it.
    Also I think you may need a teacher to sign off on your experiments although I vaguely remember of some grinds schools that you can do your experiments in. I like chemistry so if you decide to do it I'd be happy to point you in the right direction of some good resources.

I am taking up HL Bio, OL Maths and HL Chemistry. I am also enrolled in a college to do the repeat LC.

That would be fantastic, thanks!

GeneralC wrote: »
    I am taking up HL Bio, OL Maths and HL Chemistry. I am also enrolled in a college to do the repeat LC.

That would be fantastic, thanks!

I presume you already have the Chemistry Live textbook. Exam Edge is also essential, it sorts exam questions by topic and shows you the correct answers. I would advise downloading the syllabus- no point learning things that won't be asked and leaving out things that could. I printed it out as I found it helpful to have while studying.
    The YouTube channel 'CrashCourse' has brilliant chemistry videos. They aren't leaving cert specific but really help with understanding certain topics. Those videos peaked my interest in chemistry so much that I'm thinking of doing it in college. Khan Academy also have videos but I found the Crash course far more engaging. YouTube has some great resources for Maths and Biology as well, just search for the topic you're having difficulty with.
    I have the Chemistry Live Revision Book, but I don't think it's worth buying. A combination of the syllabus, textbook, and Exam Edge is the best I think. Let me know if you ever need help with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Not going to the higher options, was going to but not enough interest in our school and I can't be bothered now going all the way up to Dublin. Going to the event in Limerick Racecourse on the 29th with the year and then UL open day.

As for course, I've got my eyes set on Maths And Physics at UL, means I don't have to be forking out on rent and I already have my fees covered (no not money from my parents).

If you ever want info on studying Physics in UL, you can shoot me a PM. I've only started Applied Physics though. I share 3/5 of my modules with Maths & Physics students. Only difference is I study Chem and have a different Maths module.

On the plus side, both courses are generally small so it's easy to get on with the people in your course.

I have a 24 hour week which I assume is the same for M&P students.

I presume you already have the Chemistry Live textbook. Exam Edge is also essential, it sorts exam questions by topic and shows you the correct answers. I would advise downloading the syllabus- no point learning things that won't be asked and leaving out things that could. I printed it out as I found it helpful to have while studying.
    The YouTube channel 'CrashCourse' has brilliant chemistry videos. They aren't leaving cert specific but really help with understanding certain topics. Those videos peaked my interest in chemistry so much that I'm thinking of doing it in college. Khan Academy also have videos but I found the Crash course far more engaging. YouTube has some great resources for Maths and Biology as well, just search for the topic you're having difficulty with.
    I have the Chemistry Live Revision Book, but I don't think it's worth buying. A combination of the syllabus, textbook, and Exam Edge is the best I think. Let me know if you ever need help with it.

Which textbook would you recommend? My Chemistry teacher recommends "Chemistry Live"

GeneralC wrote:
    Which textbook would you recommend? My Chemistry teacher recommends "Chemistry Live"

Chemistry Live is perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Does anyone know how to do Q19?

I tried it, and got an equation with a three part inequality, but got stuck with zp and -zp when I did the equation I got.

1-(1-p(z<x))+(1-p(z<x)) = 0.6368

I got another equation by using (1-0.6368) etc etc and tried to simultaneous equation the two equations but don't know that works with three inequalities.

Thanks!

BTW, x is Z1.

After spending three days dwindling on the question, managed to answer it! Pretty simple :o

• Advertisement

Does anyone know where I can get a list/breakdown of the chemistry/biology experiments?

Advertisement