Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Double Physchem and maths after on Monday morning, my favourite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

The only subjects I'm doing at OL are Maths and Irish and the latter is hands down the hardest subject I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Just got given a Question B and a composition for English. How long would you guys write for your Question B's usually? My teacher says 5 pages (10 marks equals a page. 50 marks equals 5 then). I would've thought this is very long, especially for a Q B. Another source online says 1 and 1/2 to 2. Seems more realistic but a but short. What do yall think?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Consonata wrote: »
    Just got given a Question B and a composition for English. How long would you guys write for your Question B's usually? My teacher says 5 pages (10 marks equals a page. 50 marks equals 5 then). I would've thought this is very long, especially for a Q B. Another source online says 1 and 1/2 to 2. Seems more realistic but a but short. What do yall think?

Are you sure your teacher didn't mean 5 pages for the composition? They would usually be 4-5 pages. A Question B shouldn't be longer than 2 pages, maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Consonata wrote:

Definitely no more than 2 pages is needed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

10 marks does not equal a page.

Our teacher said 5 pages for the Question B and 7 to 10 for the composition. She probably exaggerated, I'll do two and a bit and bring it to her tomorrow to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Our teacher said 5 pages for the Question B and 7 to 10 for the composition. She probably exaggerated, I'll do two and a bit and bring it to her tomorrow to see how it goes.

10? Jesus.....

my compositions were only ever 4-5 pages depending on the style, e.g short stories were always around 5 but any personal essays or speeches I struggled to get that much without waffling. Quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

lumosteph wrote: »
    Definitely no more than 2 pages is needed!

Definitely agree. Our teacher just said today max 2 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

Monday - Double Irish, English, Religion, Accounting, Maths, Biology and double chemistry

Not too bad of a Monday feels like a Wednesday as it went fast with the doubles. Why Wednesday because our school has half days on a Wednesday best thing about my school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

No study classes at all, 8 subjects, two hour evening study after school. I can already feel myself burning a whole in the floor.

Everyone settled in so far?

First day back and I already have 3 essays due tomorrow. Also got told we'll be the first year ever to have pre-mocks.. ahh yes I love my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

I'm practising a sraith this evening and wondering how long the examiner expects you to speak for, at a minimum.(HL) I've between 6-8 sentences per picture and it takes me around 3 minutes 40.

Yeah :) you?

Just about! Dropped to OL French (I've 6 higher anyway) and I literally have an extra hour in the evening!

Does anyone feel like they won't have the course finish when LC runs around?

We're so behind in maths and English, fearing the teacher won't cover majority by the time June rolls round :/

We're so behind in maths and English, fearing the teacher won't cover majority by the time June rolls round :/

What have you not covered in maths? I thought we were really stretched but turned out grand in the end. Some schools do the entire course in a year so I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

All our teachers say we are ahead so not really. English we practically have the course done, just have to put Translations into our comparative (so far we just did The King's Speech and Wuthering Heights in the essay). Also 3 poets to do still.

Maths I don't know where we are in relation to the course all I know is it was a tough 5th year and looks like a tough 6th year too.

Irish at OL is really the only subject I feel we will be rushed on to get done but in the end of the day I'm doing it at OL to just meet requirements as it would never be one of my best 6 subjects.

Kremin wrote: »
    What have you not covered in maths? I thought we were really stretched but turned out grand in the end. Some schools do the entire course in a year so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Have all of algebra 1, algebra 2, complex numbers, sequences series patterns, financial, length area volume, algebra 3, probability 1, stat 1 and probability 2 DONE.

Haven't touched calculus and trigonometry and the theorems.

• Advertisement

I feel my class is super behind in Geography. All we've done is the Physical section (excluding sea processes) and a bit of map work. I went ahead and started Regional during the summer but even with that..

Have all of algebra 1, algebra 2, complex numbers, sequences series patterns, financial, length area volume, algebra 3, probability 1, stat 1 and probability 2 DONE.

Haven't touched calculus and trigonometry and the theorems.
    You're well ahead of where we were in 6th year.. you only need to know 3 theorems, trig doesn't change much and calculus is the only tough thing there but its handy enough after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Unfortunately it looks like we're going to have to change the title of the thread lads :/

Kremin wrote: »
    You're well ahead of where we were in 6th year.. you only need to know 3 theorems, trig doesn't change much and calculus is the only tough thing there but its handy enough after a while.

Ahead of us too. Weve done everything you did except complex numbers, patterns and financial maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Had my first day today! Really annoyed that they changed our class groups from our 5th year ones. There wasn't any need really and it's kinda uncomfortable being in a new base class for the fourth time in the past six years but sure what can you do! :P

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Had my first day today! Really annoyed that they changed our class groups from our 5th year ones. There wasn't any need really and it's kinda uncomfortable being in a new base class for the fourth time in the past six years but sure what can you do! :P

What do you mean base class? I know in junior years it was to split the year but in senior cycle is it not high/lower?
    Or base year just for subjects like LCVP etc?

TheBiz wrote: »
    What do you mean base class? I know in junior years it was to split the year but in senior cycle is it not high/lower?
    Or base year just for subjects like LCVP etc?

In our school at least, our base class would be the one we got tutor in, or did careers in.

What types of work have people been doing at this stage apart from Homework?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

In our school at least, our base class would be the one we got tutor in, or did careers in.

Its too early to get back in the correct mindset so im starting studying next week or two (hopefully) :rolleyes:

ah I see I see..
    Just looked over a chapter for biology because we've an exam Friday but nothing major yet.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I can get solutions for texts and tests 6? I'm doing algebra 1 revision questions and it's pissing me off that I can't get the same answer as BOK for a lot of em :o

Long day today...

Advertisement