Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Slight Spider-Man NWH spoilers

I guess we'll have a better idea following NWH considering Charlie Cox is in it as Matt Murdock. Could give an indication as to whether he's the Netflix version or a different multiverse version. I'd nearly bet the latter considering we're getting a different version of Electro at the very least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait now, we don't know that about Charlie Cox. I was fairly sure it was a rumour debunked by Cox himself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm rather dubious about a TV show going with an all-CG main character (well, at least in one form). TV shows are obviously longer than movies with typically significantly lower budgets (although Disney and Marvel are spending plenty on these shows). Not sure if even a great effects team would have the resources and time they'd need to do it as well as needed, unless the filmmakers deployed the CG version pretty conservatively to maximise resources.

Even with Hawkeye you can see quite a chasm in terms of the quality of SFX compared with the movies... and I'd be fairly sceptical of how good some of the effects work is in MCU films in the first place (a lot of their most CG-heavy sequences are downright ugly). The filmmakers they what they can with sequences like the car chase in the most recent episode, but it definitely seems flimsier than what you'd get with a movie-size budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,374 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

M.O.D.O.K to make his live action debut in Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't know why but it just struck me that Delroy Lindo could be a more than decent Dracula in this. He has right combination of slick and menacing.

Man has the voice and dictation to be menacing in the worst way, friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah right. Thought it was actually announced/confirmed at some point rather than rumours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love Lindo; any time he appears he injects a fantastic jolt of charisma and magnetism into a role. He was recently in The Harder They Fall, and he played Bass Reeves with such swagger, I'd be keen to see a spin-off for his character.

MCU fandom has kinda gone a bit nuts lately; ever since Wandavision, maybe before, the speculation has just nose-dived into an obsessive and manic quality I hadn't seen previously.

• Advertisement

There to much hype about this now for it not to happen.

We want D'Onofrio back as well.

Hmmm. Definitely putting this under a "believe it when I see it".

Plus, what I really liked about Daredevil, was that the Netflix show really kept the fights grounded, and punishing. Often by the end of the set-pieces, Matt Murdock would be panting, barely standing up. The show had big flaws but it really pushed this idea that as superpowered as he was, Daredevil was still just a man who tires. Split lips n' all.

I'd "worry" that an MCU Daredevil won't have that bruising physicality translated over; and will just be like Black Widow where he bounces about like rubber when the action blasts off, and gets moved to a render farm in Indonesia.

Such a misleading headline, Feige said he would cast Cox if they did bring DD back but he didn't confirm it had already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they did bring him back or D'Onofrio as Kingpin, how would they handle it? Like do we have to get their backstories or will they assume people watched the netflix series even if they're not canon? No real reason not to be canon, just no need to refer to them.

Then again how many times have we seen Spider-man, Batman and Superman origins stories despite them being the best known? Though I guess they usually add an element to tie it to the main story in some way

Don't think you'd need much explanation: "Mob boss, but he's a mountain of a man" kinda writes itself, and anyone who knows him from before will obviously fill the blanks in retroactively. The rest would recognise the threat by Fisk's actions and presence in the story.

Have seen this story going around, not in any major trades but we know she is anti-vax so it wouldn't be altogether surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If it's true then unlike Bosman the question of recasting is a lot more tasteful. Very little sympathies for Wright here if the story's true; individualism has been a very selfish, shítty attitude in a pandemic. Within the film though, can't have both siblings disappear from the franchise, so an opportunity might be presented to a young upcoming star to put on a cod African accent.

You would hope they at least tried to educate her on the benefits of being vaccinated which I’d imagine they did and have been left with no choice in the matter as the health and safety of the rest of the cast and crew out weights the need for an anti vax employee.

It also sends a very clear message to others who might be happy to put their colleagues at risk .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a shame because Shuri was definitely a highlight of Black Panther. She did however have a different voice actor on What If.

• Advertisement

She was good in the role and she had chemistry with Bosman but unfortunately that's not important anymore. I think it's crazy that someone so young would give up being in the MCU over something like this but she must feel very strongly about it and if that's the case then Disney are probably best off being rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Similar to Kyrie Irving who's one of the best guards in the NBA. He's refusing to get vaxxed so NBA won't let him play so he's sitting out with the possibility of actually retiring at 29 instead of just getting vaxxed. He also said once that he didn't know if the earth was round or flat so there's that. Millions of dollars in the line and affects many many other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Her mind-numbing stupidity will put a mark over the rest of her career. Its her own doing so hard to feel any sympathy.

Delighted that she's gone. It's past time that society stops bowing down to these selfish idiots.

Do as you want but there are consequences to actions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't know the background to this story and wouldn't be inclined to trust some dude on Twitter, but if there's truth to it and if they can't work around the studio's vaccine mandate and the US travel restrictions, I wonder if Disney will end up just scrapping the whole film? I assume Wright had a big role, possibly the central character. Too big to just add her in via green screen like they did in Endgame. Did they have much left to shoot? This production seems cursed.

If they scrap the movie that's her done as an actress she has just put thousands of people out of work with total selfishness no one the the industry will ever want to work with her again. I just hope they didn't put the mantle of Black Panther on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I followed her on Instagram for a time but it tended to be mostly sharing of "Jesus is the light" spiritual type of content. Not exactly as hostile as some of the stuff Star Wars actor Gina Carno was sharing but not of interest either. It's possible being anti vax is in character with her.

They won't scrap the movie, they've already started filming, it's not like it's a one off, it's part of a multi-franchise franchise. I think they'll have to finish it with her, it's either that or recast mid shoot, maybe pull an All the Money In The World or find a way to finish it without her with a few rewrites

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I imagine if BIG-EVENT kills Black Panther off screen. It could easily take out people around him.

So, if they were looking to remove anyone else from the Wakanda side of the cast at the moment, they are probably figuring that's an easy catch-all.

Advertisement