Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,952 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She was good in Into The Spider-Verse as Doctor Ock but honestly it's been way too long since Wandavision and too much has happened for this to be something to be excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,983 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,983 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They've somehow made the characters even more meaningless which is almost an accomplishment. If one dies, they can be replaced by another one that's almost identical.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Disney+ character in WandaVision but, to be fair, she's not exactly unknown in comics.

But a show about her, just because Katheryn Hahn nailed it? Hell no thanks

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

It's the only reason I don't like Spider Gwen and Miles Morales etc. and why I really dislike The Flash (in nearly all media)

Spiderman/Flash is meant to be this one of a kind and throughout their run their uniqueness was completely diluted by having a Spider-Family and a Flash Family (and many of his villains also being speedsters)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It does kind of follow the same trend as comics, where they'll kill off a character and a different character will take up their mantle and become a new version of that hero.

The issue always is though; it's not the powers, but the character themselves that fans miss. So the original character always ends up coming back and their replacement becomes a new variation or new similar-powers hero but effectively gets demoted back down to sidekick or supporting character.

Can't do that as much in movies though, because actors will age out or decide to move on from the movies.

Ironheart was fine in Wakanda Forever, but not that interesting. A whole series about her, probably the one I'm least interested in even compared to Agatha All Along, and especially Daredevil. If anything I'm more interested in whether or not it's still going to act as a precursor to Armor Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the cascading effects of the (sensible!) decision to dial down on output means a lot of setup is now taking even longer to pay off. All these shows were set up like two to four years ago at this point, and it feels like they've been in production forever (especially in the case of Daredevil and Agatha, albeit with extenuating circumstances in the case of the former). Much like the films, it could now be upwards of four / five years before characters introduced return.

I think there'll be a weird few years before the films and shows themselves actually reflect that slowed pace. In the meantime, it's going to take bloody ages for a lot of characters to show up again - and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the post-credit teases from the last batch of films are never followed up on.

That was a big issue I've had with Phase 4. So many of the end-credits scenes, and even characters showing up in small roles because Marvel had future plans for them (eg. Kit Harrington in Eternals, Julie Louis Dreyfus in everything), felt like they were setting things up so far in the future that there was no real plan. Just "Let's cast Harry Styles as Thanos' brother, and f*ck it, we'll figure out what to do with it later".

Just cast currently-popular actors in roles to tie them down and hint at something, then figure out if you even want to do that something with the actor/character later. So yeah, chances are a lot of things they've set up in the various films and shows, might never be paid off at this stage.

At the very least though they've gotten the message and are slowing down a bit, and not just announcing shows, then spin-offs from the shows, then shows which might set up something if they go ahead with it etc.

All this goes to show, they really killed the golden goose here.

All about next quarter's profits and no thought to the long term viability.

• Advertisement

I think Iron Heart, America Chavez, Kate Bishop and Ms Marvel are becoming Young Avengers. Remains to be seen if that's big or small screen.

And Miles Morales is breathing new 21st century life into Spider-Man. The Spider-Verse Saga is one of the best things carrying the Marvel name in cinema right now and the Insomniac games are a massive hit.

The Spiderman concept is so beloved and well known that making changes to it while keeping its appeal is quite easy. I quite like all of the Spiderman films, save Rami's third installment.

This is what I was getting at. Downey Jr. is done so there's no bringing him back. Introducing another Iron Man is not going to work anywhere near as well as RDJ's Tony Stark so I struggle to see the point.

The MCU has complexity but no depth. Almost every film follows the same rigid formula. The lack of innovation was well masked by some exceptional performances but we're well into boilerplate territory now. Each one feels like the trailer for the next one but there's no direction of travel. They really f*cked up hiring a nasty piece of work like Jonathan Majors as well. Even if they hadn't, it's hard to get excited about the next pan-MCU villain who lost to Antman.

H. H. Asquith

Don't forget they have to do something with Banners kid that appeared at the end of She-Hulk…

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They are just spinning wheels until they start with X-Men

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Xofpod

FF will be the big reboot, even before the Xmen. I'd guess that everything that lands well between now and then will be kept. Everything else is for the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Although I wonder if the love for Xmen 97 (and maybe Deadpool) will see the Xmen movie fast-tracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Fast tracked as in the next 2/3 years? At best you might see it go into production in late 2026, which would mean a 2027/8 release.

Taking Iger at face value (I tend to not) - Fantastic 4, The 2 Avenger films, and the odd solo sequel for the likes of Dr Strange, Spiderman 4 and Shang Shi will have 2025-2026 booked up for releases.

Edit just to say I absolutely loved X-men 97, my favourite thing they've done since Infinity War.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,466 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Natasha Lyonne Joins Marvel’s ‘The Fantastic Four’ Cast

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Alicia Masters? Would need to be a snarky character if sticking with her recent roles. I like her in Russian Doll and Poker Face.

• Advertisement

Probabaly a good idea..

Why Marvel Is Rebranding Its Television Shows to Eliminate the ‘Pressure’ to ‘Watch Absolutely Everything’

When “Agatha All Along” premieres on Disney+ in September, the series will not open with the traditional Marvel Studios logo — as has been the case with (almost) every previous series from the Kevin Feige-led division since “WandaVision” premiered in 2021. Instead, the company is rebranding its streaming efforts as Marvel Television for live-action series and Marvel Animation for its animated shows, which launched with the just-concluded first season of “X-Men ’97.”

The rebrands are meant to help Marvel disabuse audiences from the pervasive impression that its content is one unified narrative experience that must be consumed in its totality.

“There was a lot of pressure post-‘Avengers: Endgame’ on the public to feel obligated to watch absolutely everything in order to watch anything,” says Brad Winderbaum, Marvel’s head of streaming, television and animation. “Part of the rebranding was a signal to the general audience that we’re creating a lot of options, and you can follow your tastes within this brand. Some will be more comedic, some will be more dramatic, some will be animated, some will be live-action. Marvel is more than just one thing — it is actually many different genres that just happened to coexist in a single narrative.”

When Marvel Studios first launched into streaming, Feige made a point to note that the shows were part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and their storylines would be integrated with the feature films. The events of 2021’s “WandaVision” carried over into 2022’s “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” and 2023’s “The Marvels,” for example, while the first season of “Loki” in 2021 fed into “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” in 2023, which in turn led into the events of “Loki” Season 2 later that year.

Moving forward, however, Marvel intends to de-emphasize those connections, as some audiences have come to see the 46 titles that currently make up the MCU as a barrier of entry………….

"Some will be more comedic, some will be more dramatic, some will be animated, some will be live-action. Marvel is more than just one thing — it is actually many different genres that just happened to coexist in a single narrative"

Remember they said all that when promoting Winter Soldier as a straight up spy thriller, before going Marvel 3rd act all over it

Outside of the actual ensemble films, the connections were utterly meaningless anyway. It improved as time went on but the MCU has always felt quite shallow. There's been no real innovation since Endgame. I struggle to see why they had to lock so much content behind Disney Plus. Sure, you could stuff like Infinity War and Civil War there but for the series' that lead into other films, those could go to other services after a year or so, surely?

I think it's a good idea to step back but the same way that it's a good idea to call the fire brigade after a blaze has reduced your home to ashes. This should have been done before Endgame, honestly. I struggle to see where the MCU goes from here. We're not leading up to anything and I think they really f*cked up by hiring scum like Jonathan Majors. Frankly, it's good enough for them.

The idea of doing homework just to go to the cinema as an adult is insane, particularly when 90% of the things follow the same tired old formula.

H. H. Asquith

Michael Lesslie has been hired to write the X-Men movie and Marvel are now looking for a director.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,297 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh christ, that's a enough bad start… wrote Hunger Games: The ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, and the Assassins Creed movie - two of the most awfully written things in recent memory.

It's grand; he apparently also wrote MacBeth (2015)

Pretty sure that was Anne Hathaway's husband, who's name escapes me.

Wonder Man..?

Marvel will also maintain the separate Marvel Spotlight banner meant to highlight one-off, character driven shows less connected to the MCU. The banner first launched with the gritty, adult-oriented series “Echo” in January and will continue with the upcoming series “Wonder Man” starring Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. 

Paul Bettany will return as Vision.

Vision series due to arrive in 2026

• Advertisement

Really? So soon after WandaVision?

Nah in all honesty though, I really like the character and would be interested in the show, but they sure took their time with it considering it was pretty much announced a few months of WandaVision.

Advertisement