Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Conor looking emaciated as f*ck at the weigh ins. He must have the weight down to a tee. Huge Featherweight!

he looked less drawn than he did in Dublin. I thought he looked malnourished when he weighed in here. He looked grand there today.

My heart is saying Conor by 1st round ko but i have this horrible feeling he'll end up with egg on his face. But fingers crossed he'll continue on his upward spiral.

Im getting very nervous for this now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

he looked less drawn than he did in Dublin. I thought he looked malnourished when he weighed in here. He looked grand there today.

My heart is saying Conor by 1st round ko but i have this horrible feeling he'll end up with egg on his face. But fingers crossed he'll continue on his upward spiral.

I have no nerves. Poiriers a beaten fighter right now unless he can calm down. Conor will pick him off and finish it in this state

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Chris Cariaso doesnt sound convincing atall when he says hes going to beat MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I have no nerves. Poiriers a beaten fighter right now unless he can calm down. Conor will pick him off and finish it in this state

It's funny seeing the Poirier fans raging on FB, Conor has even got in their heads :pac:

ASOT wrote: »
    Chris Cariaso doesnt sound convincing atall when he says hes going to beat MM.

sure did you see his outfit at the final staredowns yesterday?

He wore a suit that was about 10 sizes too big for him. Its no joke, he looked like a child trying on his fathers clothes for a laugh. It was actually embarrassing how bad he looked.

• Advertisement

sure did you see his outfit at the final staredowns yesterday?

He wore a suit that was about 10 sizes too big for him. Its no joke, he looked like a child trying on his fathers clothes for a laugh. It was actually embarrassing how bad he looked.

No im going to have a look now :pac: he shouldn't be anywhere near a title shot, MM should go through him fairly easy tomorrow, wouldn't expect a TJ v Barao result.

EDIT

My god that looks terrible!

111_Johnson_and_Cariaso_medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

pretty much the same here but I'd rather not see any interviews for a
    year and just cheer him on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Straight from Severe MMA. Brilliant stuff altogether!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

Cariaso will be doing well to make it out of the 1st round tomorrow he has absolutely zero chance of winning bar an act of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Snap! I actually thought the exact same thing. And he was 146 in Dublin! In fact watching the embedded videos i was a little worried if he'd be on weight because he looked far less drawn than the Dublin fight.

Then he steps on the scales today and he's still 146...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Just back from the weigh ins and it was crazy!! the Americans we spoke to said they had never seen an atmosphere like it. Not close to Dublin obviously but those of us here took over the lobby and made serious noise it'll be all over tv 😂 can't wait for the fights now, it's the best card in a long time!!

ASOT wrote: »
    No im going to have a look now :pac: he shouldn't be anywhere near a title shot, MM should go through him fairly easy tomorrow, wouldn't expect a TJ v Barao result.

EDIT

My god that looks terrible!

111_Johnson_and_Cariaso_medium.jpg

Conor needs to hook him up with Louis Copelands number.

He bought that suit in a second hand shop didnt he, the little peasant!! :P

johnpro wrote: »
    Just back from the weigh ins and it was crazy!! the Americans we spoke to said they had never seen an atmosphere like it. Not close to Dublin obviously but those of us here took over the lobby and made serious noise it'll be all over tv 😂 can't wait for the fights now, it's the best card in a long time!!

any rumours floating around?

There's usually some jargin getting spouted at the weigh ins.

I was at UFC 47 in the Mandalay Bay many moons ago and the rumour was Nick Diaz was taking a drop against Robbie Lawlor because Lawlor had a rib injury.

Diaz knocked Lawlor out in the 2nd round :D:D:D

leftism wrote: »
    Snap! I actually thought the exact same thing. And he was 146 in Dublin! In fact watching the embedded videos i was a little worried if he'd be on weight because he looked far less drawn than the Dublin fight.

Then he steps on the scales today and he's still 146...

Its his frame imo, such a great body shape to get in as much mass as he can but still hit the 146 limit, that and basically having hos diet down to a tee.

Just watched Embedded 5 there. Cowboy has to be the coolest fighter in the UFC.

sheehy83 wrote: »

Gonna watch that now, 4 was epic especially when he asked MM to go wake boarding, all he wanted to do was finish his media stuff and go to the lake. Would love to go for a few beers with him seems like a top bloke!

i was reading what that guy Bobby Green said about him earlier though, and if the accusations are true, then Cerrone is an absolute douche.

He was saying that at a UFC fan expo he was groping and being really obnoxious to all these women that were getting his autograph, and doing it in front of their partners/husbands etc...

When Green said it to him, he just said something to the effect of, "what are they going to do about it, i can knock them all out".

Obviously thats one dudes side of the story, but i watched an interview with Cowboy earlier with Ariel Helwani and he certainly came across as a bit of a knob and he didnt exactly deny the allegations either. Saying that, he was making weight, and id take what fighters say, the day before weigh in with a pinch of salt. Their dehydrated and hungry, so definetly not the best time to interview them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

"How am I supposed to follow that?". . . "Hey, are you excited?" :D

theteal wrote: »
    "How am I supposed to follow that?". . . "Hey, are you excited?" :D

Poor Eddie in full face off mode and Cowboy having none of it, bet he woulda brought him wake boarding if he could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

i was reading what that guy Bobby Green said about him earlier though, and if the accusations are true, then Cerrone is an absolute douche.

He was saying that at a UFC fan expo he was groping and being really obnoxious to all these women that were getting his autograph, and doing it in front of their partners/husbands etc...

When Green said it to him, he just said something to the effect of, "what are they going to do about it, i can knock them all out".

Obviously thats one dudes side of the story, but i watched an interview with Cowboy earlier with Ariel Helwani and he certainly came across as a bit of a knob and he didnt exactly deny the allegations either. Saying that, he was making weight, and id take what fighters say, the day before weigh in with a pinch of salt. Their dehydrated and hungry, so definetly not the best time to interview them.

Find it hard to believe hes a racist considering he has many black friends,hes too laid back to be beefing with people bobby green is a mouth piece cowboy would take his head off with a head kick if they ever met,and im far from a cowboy fanboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

I can't load the video to this but I'm sure it'll be up soon enough...if there's footage on youtube of us going up the escalator singing try to find it, it's hilarious! The Americans don't know what to make of us! Poirer is really up for this he came out screaming. It's easily the fans main event!! Cerrone and Alvarez was the next loudest cheer, then cruz and MM got good support aswell.

I don't know if you could see it on tv but before the weigh ins started Brian stann, Chris weidman and rashad Evans we're doing the tv work for fox. They couldn't believe when the chanting started and how loud it was....they started taking videos on there phones of it! It's an Irish takeover!!

pendred put up the vid of the chanting on the stairs, brilliant scene. Reading on American forums and comments, they seem to think the noise was coming from plastic paddy's. Enjoy the fight tomorrow man you lucky bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

How do people see the McGregor fight going.

Stand up war or Dustin maybe trying to take it to the ground and look for a sub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

This is just an amazing card, even the prelims are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing Masvidal, Wonderboy and the return of Cruz.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,153 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

On the way to Vegas now. Let's do this!

tumblr_lfpti66TBQ1qcnhhzo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Enjoy it. Put everything on red 16 I've got a good feeling about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Sherdogs pros picks have poirier 18-14

I like that.

Keep doubting right up until

'Oh my god Conor McGregor has done it againnn!'

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

The more I look at this fight and despite the intensity from Poirier and talk from Conor, i think Poirier is tailor made for Conor's skillset.

I think Conor wins this and could make himself look very good in the process.

I would go for and a possible one punch or kick knockout. As Dustin charges forward in an emotional rage conor hits him with either a devastating uppercut, straight upkick or round house kick to the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Haven't been this excited for a UFC fight since god knows when, we're actually pretty privileged to get to see an Irish fighter of such talent come through the UFC. Always fantastic to watch an elite Irish athlete have success in any sport but it's always sweet when it is a sport that you enjoy.

I still people are underrating McGregor and even after this fight they will continue to do so even if he wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think Porrier is far to emotionally invested in this match up. It baffles me how people at that level can't grasp that it's all part if the game.
    I fully believe Conor gets the win here here but I'm also aware that many people would think that regardless of his opponent. So I've been watching over some of Porrier's match ups. And in my eyes, his pressing forward style of striking combined with his emotional investment is a perfect mix for McGregor.

He lunges into strikes and leaves himself wide open. In this clip, he dives into a lead hook and misses. Akira seen it coming so backs off out of danger - but McGregor won't let him off so light. Angke left, and plant the left hand, his power hand. A la Buchinger.

GregariousBronzeDromaeosaur.gif

Here's another wear he plows forward unconcerned. And plants his face into Akira's fist. Marcus Brimage tried a similar approach.

FoolhardyImmenseBison.gif

Ultimately, he has a huge battle on the feet. And he'll need some solid defense to get out if trouble. His head down cover up approach (verses Cub) won't cut it.
    ihV10nKX3mlK7.gif

Advertisement