Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hope Dustin makes McGregor eat some humble pie tonight tbh.

He's a bloody disgrace the way he's been acting. It's more than likely an act to sell PPV but it's just reinforcing the negative paddywhackery begorrah image most people think of with regards to Ireland. The dude even dresses up like the fighting irish notre dame logo that every scumbag in the country has a tattoo of.
    nd-logo1-291x300.jpg

All those muppets singing ole ole ole at the weigh-ins just confounds the matter.

How is he a disgrace? And how are the poeple singing ole ole ole muppets? I guess everyone in the 02 @ UFC Dublin were muppets? All the people at any Ireland game are muppets?

Scratch that your the same person who said gunnar must be in terrible shape and doesnt look like an MMA fighter because he wasnt ripped, that says enough about your opinion to not care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Lol. Just been dissed by someone from Ballymun.

And that just proves my point, bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Put the handbags away lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Disgusting comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Gal2011

What time do ye reckon McGregors fight will start lads? Apologies if that is a silly question but two people have asked me to find out now

Gal2011 wrote: »
    What time do ye reckon McGregors fight will start lads? Apologies if that is a silly question but two people have asked me to find out now

Id say start watching around 3:45am, he should be on around then! Main card starts at 3 and hes the third fight in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's a bloody disgrace the way he's been acting. It's more than likely an act to sell PPV but it's just reinforcing the negative paddywhackery begorrah image most people think of with regards to Ireland. The dude even dresses up like the fighting irish notre dame logo that every scumbag in the country has a tattoo of.
    nd-logo1-291x300.jpg

All those muppets singing ole ole ole at the weigh-ins just confounds the matter.

67037-Christian-Bale-oh-kiss-reactio-NZEo.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Can someone adjust the title and first post with the times of the events and conors expected fight times, ive a feeling it going to be asked alot!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

Very poor fishing attempt too much bait you wont get anyone stupid enough to reply to that joke of a post give your head a shake come back when you educate your self on the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

If theres as much action during the fight as there is on this thread we'll be in for a treat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Good to see some intelligent discussion taking place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Anybody else's stomach in knots for this ? Dying for it , hope conor destroys him like brandao , highly unlikely but be great if he schools him , shuts up the haters and all this talk of hype-train

Why knock his talk ? 100 % he's earning more than others in his division , love to see what him and poirier getting paid for this

Another good episode, have to say ilove embedded!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Conor's going down. Suck it up lads!

Conor's going down. Suck it up lads!

Great point you make there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It will be over halfway through the third round by a knock-out from McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Is the match on any channel other than BT sports tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

kb98 wrote: »
    Is the match on any channel other than BT sports tonight?

It will probably be on wiziwig later, live. Online though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

10623890_772070696183119_661628405_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I just don't see where Dustin wins this fight myself. I think Conor is much faster on the feet, and he is a superb counter puncher. It's been shown in this thread previously, how much Dustin leads with his head when he punches and how he can often throw a wild punch. Add to that the emotion that he is obviously showing (see "This is my town!" and the talk of actually hating Conor) and I think he is walking right in to a trap.

A lot of people, mainly the UFC fanboys in America, seem to think Conor has no ground game because all but one of his finishes have come by KO/TKO. This is pure muck. I've seen Conor roll myself and he offers a lot more than your average BJJ player. It was evident in the Brandao fight when he escaped the leglock, rolled Diego and pressed him in his guard.

Thinking Conor will lose is peoples own prerogative, but a least state why you'll think it'll happen. I think Conor has the beating of everyone in that division, but I'm unsure on Aldo. McGregor TKO, Round 1 or 2. Dustin to be caught with a counter left hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

<snip>

Mod: Don't post stream links.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Is this showing on Irish TV at all or is just pay per view?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I just don't see where Dustin wins this fight myself. I think Conor is much faster on the feet, and he is a superb counter puncher. It's been shown in this thread previously, how much Dustin leads with his head when he punches and how he can often throw a wild punch. Add to that the emotion that he is obviously showing (see "This is my town!" and the talk of actually hating Conor) and I think he is walking right in to a trap.

A lot of people, mainly the UFC fanboys in America, seem to think Conor has no ground game because all but one of his finishes have come by KO/TKO. This is pure muck. I've seen Conor roll myself and he offers a lot more than your average BJJ player. It was evident in the Brandao fight when he escaped the leglock, rolled Diego and pressed him in his guard.

Thinking Conor will lose is peoples own prerogative, but a least state why you'll think it'll happen. I think Conor has the beating of everyone in that division, but I'm unsure on Aldo. McGregor TKO, Round 1 or 2. Dustin to be caught with a counter left hook.

Going to have a go at outlining why I think Connor will lose...without going down the path some others have...

Connor has better hands, but dustin is no joke, and Connor has been caught a few times in his previous UFC fights. When I say caught, I don't mean rocked, I mean that we're a harder hitter or more accomplished striker to catch him in similar positions it could be bad news...I think dustin is capable of this.

Agreed Connor is no joke on the floor but Dustin is a stud on the floor. This will be the toughest challenge Connor has had in this particular area, poirier has finished people impressively a numer of times.

The experience thing will come into play IMO. This is a serious jump in competition. Holloway, Brimmage and Brandao are not on poirier's level. It is easy to say that Poirier hasn't had a particularly tough road himself but he has fought much tougher people. This guy is tough as old boots.

I also don't think he's in his head and if he is I don't think dustin will let it phase him. The guy is clearly very emotive, Brandao incident for example...the guy threatened to stab him and he exploded during the weigh ins but still ruthlessly took care of him.

It's a toss up IMO, but the fact is that we haven't seen Connor tested yet. It's the elephant in the room that no one is will to address. As Connor would say, he's been fighting journeymen to date. Poirier isn't a journeyman.

Still don't know how it will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

-Vega- wrote: »
    Is this showing on Irish TV at all or is just pay per view?

BT sport I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Start time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Start time?

Read the title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Unreal support for Conor out in Vegas. Cannot wait for this, anticipation is killing me.

• Advertisement

You would be mad to only watch the mcgregor fight!

1am the car starts.

Advertisement