Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

7oakse wrote: »
    Going to have a go at outlining why I think Connor will lose...without going down the path some others have...

Connor has better hands, but dustin is no joke, and Connor has been caught a few times in his previous UFC fights. When I say caught, I don't mean rocked, I mean that we're a harder hitter or more accomplished striker to catch him in similar positions it could be bad news...I think dustin is capable of this.

Agreed Connor is no joke on the floor but Dustin is a stud on the floor. This will be the toughest challenge Connor has had in this particular area, poirier has finished people impressively a numer of times.

The experience thing will come into play IMO. This is a serious jump in competition. Holloway, Brimmage and Brandao are not on poirier's level. It is easy to say that Poirier hasn't had a particularly tough road himself but he has fought much tougher people. This guy is tough as old boots.

I also don't think he's in his head and if he is I don't think dustin will let it phase him. The guy is clearly very emotive, Brandao incident for example...the guy threatened to stab him and he exploded during the weigh ins but still ruthlessly took care of him.

It's a toss up IMO, but the fact is that we haven't seen Connor tested yet. It's the elephant in the room that no one is will to address. As Connor would say, he's been fighting journeymen to date. Poirier isn't a journeyman.

Still don't know how it will go.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Thanks for reply

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

People seem to think if you're not a black belt in bjj then anyone who ever won by submission in the ufc will tap your ass out,doesnt work that way brandao and his black belt didnt last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

What?

The word "may" is missing

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    People seem to think if you're not a black belt in bjj then anyone who ever won by submission in the ufc will tap your ass out,doesnt work that way brandao and his black belt didnt last too long.

I understand your point but poirier is very good on the floor. The Brandao example isn't a great one, the guy is just too indisciplined to be taken seriously against guys like mcgregor/poirier. It could also be used to make the same point about poirier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Sorry if it's been asked and answered already, can't check through the thread, in work unfortunately. Would the ufc fight pass 7 day trial include the main card tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Gunnar Nelson is better than Poirier will ever be as a grappler, so don't think Poirier is bringing anything to the table Conor hasn't seen before or that he won't be able handle and escape to his feet or gain top position from. Which isn't to say someone won't hold him down, but no one has yet. If a grappler the size of Gunni can't just dominate Conor on the ground every day, then it won't happen with Dustin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I assume this will be on streaming sites like FRS, lads? Had planned to head out to watch it but 2 of the lads pulled out of going so it'll be me and the OH snoring beside me in the house. :(

7oakse wrote: »
    I understand your point but poirier is very good on the floor. The Brandao example isn't a great one, the guy is just too indisciplined to be taken seriously against guys like mcgregor/poirier. It could also be used to make the same point about poirier

True,but its not as if Poirier has went and tapped out some black belts pretty sure anyone he submitted were purple belts at the most and the black belt brazilian he tapped in the fightville documentary is irrelevent because he was a nobody in the mma world dont think he fought much before that bout or ever after it

Conor seems to have a pretty decent chin he doesnt look wobbled when hes hit which is better than could be said about Dustins,if its brawl on their fight conor wins,on the ground anything can happen and I wouldnt like to bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Just watched poirier v zombie to get me in the mood

And he offered nothing , he can take punches and knees , thats it , was owned by the zombie

With the way mcgregor strikes and his angles and poirier's lazy kicks and constant openings after punching i see mcgregor knocking him out and poirier crying again after the loss

Was hesitant before but not im excited :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Put money on mcgregor via knockout. Hardly worth it at 1/3 but should see a return hopefully. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,634 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

D.Q wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked and answered already, can't check through the thread, in work unfortunately. Would the ufc fight pass 7 day trial include the main card tonight?

Afraid not, fightpass will only get you some of the prelims, not even all of them. You can buy the full card for 18 euro and watch it on ufc.tv.

Dustin will be shooting for the take down all night imo like he did when in trouble against korean zombie half arse attempts when hes gasses and beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Looking forward to seeing the Irish crowd take over For McGregors Fight !
    Conors toughest challenge yet no doubt but i think he will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

TGJD wrote: »
    Put money on mcgregor via knockout. Hardly worth it at 1/3 but should see a return hopefully. Looking forward to this.

5/6 for mcgregor ko

Either to win by ko is 1/3

Duff wrote: »
    I assume this will be on streaming sites like FRS, lads? Had planned to head out to watch it but 2 of the lads pulled out of going so it'll be me and the OH snoring beside me in the house. :(

plenty of options out there alright ;)

for those only staying up to watch the mcgregor fight then wait on
    a little bit longer or long enough to watch the cerrone alvarez fight, might be the difference of you just following mcgregor or following the sport from here on in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

mailburner wrote: »
    a little bit longer or long enough to watch the cerrone alvarez fight, might be the difference of you just following mcgregor or following the sport from here on in

Although I love Mighty Mouse, the show ends at Cerrone/Alvarez :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Agreed. Outside the McGregor fight, this is the fight I really wanna see. That and Dominick Cruz's return. Will be very interesting to see how he does after a long lay off. Good test for him too.

I'm a bit worried about Cruz, would love to see him back to the way he was but 3 years is a long layoff. Have a feeling he won't be the same but hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Jesus love's knockouts

suprised to see this on sherdog, pro picks

THE FINAL TALLY
    Pros Picking Poirier: 18
    Pros Picking McGregor: 14

suprised to see this on sherdog, pro picks

THE FINAL TALLY
    Pros Picking Poirier: 18
    Pros Picking McGregor: 14

Means f all when bell rings

Means f all when bell rings

looking forward to another other fights yourself?

looking forward to another other fights yourself?

Sitting here on my todd , drinking beer , waiting for pre-lims at 1 , have the phone alarm set for 3.30 lol

Waiting for this mcgregor fight since it was announced , also gives me a blank opinion on others as i havnt seen much of them

Fight Pass prelims live now.

Just ordered a domino's florentine pizza will polish it off with cookies and ben and jerrys watching some ass whoopings! dont think ill need coffee tonight to stay awake

Just ordered a domino's florentine pizza will polish it off with cookies and ben and jerrys watching some ass whoopings! dont think ill need coffee tonight to stay awake

No beer ?

can I have that pizza to go with my bottle of tsingtao please? :D
    no pizza delivery out in the sticks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Booze and fights. Doesn't get better than this really. Really looking to see how Gamburyan gets on as a bantamweight. Could very well be a sleeper in the division. Could have a serious strength advantage.

Advertisement