Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lads, this is a "what time will Conor be fighting" question but please bear with me!

I'm actually going to be in San Francisco on Saturday (shameless brag) and found a good Irish bar to watch the fight. Problem is I probably can't get there until 20:30 local time. Any ideas what time he'll be on?

SF time is same as Vegas, i'd say he'll be going into the cage shortly after 19:30 your time, possibly a touch later

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    SF time is same as Vegas, i'd say he'll be going into the cage shortly after 19:30 your time, possibly a touch later

Yeah sounds about right.
    4am Irish time at the latest, which is 8pm local.
    Or 1pm for me. Firmly planted on a barstool, super Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah sounds about right.
    4am Irish time at the latest, which is 8pm local.
    Or 1pm for me. Firmly planted on a barstool, super Sunday.

just watched korean zombie v poirier last night . hopefully the irish zombie can repeat performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Just watched the latest embedded, Conor is in his head. Poirier was pissed off and it was over nothing really. The same happened when Brimmage felt the same way, he came out swinging but just wasn't thinking straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dustin already said in an interview that he is going to swarm Conor and bully him, always staying in his face. Brimmage tried the same thing.

Yeah, all he said was 'Get ready to fall'. Man, gonna be some fight.

One of his interviews from the other day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Conor is 200% inside Dustins head and the way its going i can see it ending early like Brimage if he just jumps in and starts swinging. Dustin getting really pissed off at nothing when Conor says "get ready to fall" was evidence of this and it was hilarious. Really cant wait for the fight now. Conor came across really well in that fox interview, saying it exactly how it is without most of the crap to go along with it!

Absolutely love Cowboy, have a feeling he will beat Alvarez. Nothing against Alvarez i really rate him to and hes a hard guy to dislike but Cowboy just seems like an absolute hero. Will also be a great fight, i really wish this card didnt lose its main event or it would have been contender for card of the year without a fight even taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another great interview Ghetto Hillbilly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Seeing as the main card has mostly been covered I'll cover some of the undercard.

Some people were surprised to see Cruz on an undercard but he's there to sell the PPV main card to those who get the undercard for free. If this were 2-3 years ago you'd say that Mizugaki has no right to even lace the boots of Cruz but there's always going to be intrigue when a fighter is coming back after a long layoff. If Cruz still has that fast paced grind (a paradox if ever there was one) then it's going to be a long night for Mizugaki. If Mizugaki can stuff the takedowns of Cruz and keep him at bay with some crisp jabs then a title shot has to on the cards.

James Krause was lucky to win his last bout against Jamie Varner and Varner was fighting whilst hopping on one leg. Masvidal will outclass him in both striking and grappling.

Patrick Coté has a cinder block inside his head. Stephen Thompson breaks bricks with his karate. You could see where the matchup came from. Cote has been successful since his move to WW but he definitely cuts a lot of weight which might take its toll. On the other side, Wonder Boy throws a lot of kicks which means he has been prone to gassing himself. I can see Cote playing the slow game against the fence whilst routinely attacking Thompson's hand with his head (see what I did there?) and getting the decision.

The reputation of never having been KO'd in an MMA career is thrown around a lot but in nearly 70 professional MMA fights Brian Ebersole has never been put away. His career in the UFC got off to a flying start with 4 wins in a row but then his last two fights were absolute snore-fests where he looked completely uninterested in being there. His opponent, John Howard, is more than capable of putting people away but has struggled against guys who can grind out a decision. Ebersole has the ability to keep Howard against the cage but may elect to test his chin just for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

p to the e wrote: »
    Seeing as the main card has mostly been covered I'll cover some of the undercard.

Some people were surprised to see Cruz on an undercard but he's there to sell the PPV main card to those who get the undercard for free. If this were 2-3 years ago you'd say that Mizugaki has no right to even lace the boots of Cruz but there's always going to be intrigue when a fighter is coming back after a long layoff. If Cruz still has that fast paced grind (a paradox if ever there was one) then it's going to be a long night for Mizugaki. If Mizugaki can stuff the takedowns of Cruz and keep him at bay with some crisp jabs then a title shot has to on the cards.

James Krause was lucky to win his last bout against Jamie Varner and Varner was fighting whilst hopping on one leg. Masvidal will outclass him in both striking and grappling.

Patrick Coté has a cinder block inside his head. Stephen Thompson breaks bricks with his karate. You could see where the matchup came from. Cote has been successful since his move to WW but he definitely cuts a lot of weight which might take its toll. On the other side, Wonder Boy throws a lot of kicks which means he has been prone to gassing himself. I can see Cote playing the slow game against the fence whilst routinely attacking Thompson's hand with his head (see what I did there?) and getting the decision.

The reputation of never having been KO'd in an MMA career is thrown around a lot but in nearly 70 professional MMA fights Brian Ebersole has never been put away. His career in the UFC got off to a flying start with 4 wins in a row but then his last two fights were absolute snore-fests where he looked completely uninterested in being there. His opponent, John Howard, is more than capable of putting people away but has struggled against guys who can grind out a decision. Ebersole has the ability to keep Howard against the cage but may elect to test his chin just for the craic.

Super post.

Also looking forward to Kennedy v Romero. he bookies have Romero a slight favourite but I think this is as tight a fight as there is. I'd guess the winner could be up next for a title shot, although Weidmann's injury has kind of messed up that timelne a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

68 fights and not a single KO finish. Indeed. I try not to put too much stock in chins either but I think that speaks well of durability and technique overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

Having watched the embedded videos and countdown (and general interviews with poirier), it is very hard to dislike the guy.

Seems very genuine and a fella who really loves his sport and what he does. His distain for Connor is wholly understandable, and were Connor not Irish (English for example) I'd say the majority on this forum would dislike like him. Being irish, his chat is part of his character but were he not, I think many would perceive it as way ott and without substance. Having said that, he is undoubtedly a phenomenal talent.

I don't buy the 'he's in his head business', Diego was arguably in Dustins head after the 'I'm gonna kill you' ****e, this guy is too good...

Who's gonna win? Genuinely do not have a clue...but as Unpatriotic as this may seem, I would not begrudge a dustin victory! And a devastating one at that...could be good for Connor

The odds on a dustin victory are silly as well...I understand the Connor hype train, but he is not as strong a favourite as PP and co are making out.

Not a clue what's going to happen but can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

7oakse wrote: »
    Who's gonna win? Genuinely do not have a clue...but as Unpatriotic as this may seem, I would not begrudge a dustin victory! And a devastating one at that...could be good for Connor

The odds on a dustin victory are silly as well...I understand the Connor hype train, but he is not as strong a favourite as PP and co are making out.

Not a clue what's going to happen but can't wait!

+1

I know it's been discussed that Conor is In his head, but I honestly don't remember a fighter looking so shook before a fight.

Just watched the severe mma interviews with Conor and Poirier. Conor is as relaxed as always and Poirier looks like he's contemplating falling on his ankle to stop the fight going ahead.
    Poirier seemed to contradict himself as well. When asked about the embedded episode from yesterday, he said that it was edited and didn't show him starting the interaction with Conor. Which is obviously bull$hit, because Poirier walked off in a huff claiming Conor wasn't being professional and that "he shouldn't be talking like that".
    Poirier mentioning that twitter was getting to him is also, not advisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The embedded video looked to show poirier being gotten to big time, he slumped out of the room and was obviously annoyed. Like he said he has never disliked someone so much before. Brandao defo got to him but that was more rage and he was defo the better fighter anyway, this time i think conor is and dustin is messed up in the head as well. I think it will be a conor KO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

I know it's been discussed that Conor is In his head, but I honestly don't remember a fighter looking so shook before a fight.

Just watched the severe mma interviews with Conor and Poirier. Conor is as relaxed as always and Poirier looks like he's contemplating falling on his ankle to stop the fight going ahead.
    Poirier seemed to contradict himself as well. When asked about the embedded episode from yesterday, he said that it was edited and didn't show him starting the interaction with Conor. Which is obviously bull$hit, because Poirier walked off in a huff claiming Conor wasn't being professional and that "he shouldn't be talking like that".
    Poirier mentioning that twitter was getting to him is also, not advisable.

Really? Poirier seemed fine to me in that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gumbi wrote: »
    68 fights and not a single KO finish. Indeed. I try not to put too much stock in chins either but I think that speaks well of durability and technique overall.

Included in those 68 was a few pre-ufc fighters too. Hector Lombard, Dylan Andrews, Stephen Bonnar. Big guys who hit hard.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Really? Poirier seemed fine to me in that interview.

It was just little things. Not about what he was saying, more how he looked and how he was answering. In Andrews interview with Poirier, the first two minutes are all questions about Conor directed to him. He's visibly frustrated that none of the questions are really about him. Also there's a longer version of that interview and the Conor questions went on for even longer.

To me he looked frustrated and annoyed at all the Conor questions. Also he was muttering and stuttering the answers to some questions. Throw in the need to lie about the previous days events it just painted a poor picture of the man right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Hi Lads quick question since i have nowhere to watch this ive decided to bite the bullet and get BT Sports. Just wondering because its PPV how do you actually buy it, can you do it from your Sky remote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

akelly02 wrote: »
    Hi Lads quick question since i have nowhere to watch this ive decided to bite the bullet and get BT Sports. Just wondering because its PPV how do you actually buy it, can you do it from your Sky remote?

It's only PPV in the states. Once you subscribe to BT Sports, you'll be able to watch it at no extra cost. It's on the regular BT Sport channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's only PPV in the states. Once you subscribe to BT Sports, you'll be able to watch it at no extra cost. It's on the regular BT Sport channels.

Thanks, Music to my ears...Whatever it costs i had planned on Staking the same amount on a first round KO for Conor which is 2/1 with Boylesports!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

....Andrews interview with Poirier......

Where can we see this?? Didn't see it on the website??

John_D80 wrote: »
    Where can we see this?? Didn't see it on the website??

Majority of links have circulated on twitter/Facebook.

Here's a link: http://severemma.com/2014/09/exclusive-video-interview-with-dustin-poirier-ahead-of-ufc-178/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Super post.

Also looking forward to Kennedy v Romero. he bookies have Romero a slight favourite but I think this is as tight a fight as there is. I'd guess the winner could be up next for a title shot, although Weidmann's injury has kind of messed up that timelne a bit.

I'd say the winner of this would have to have another bout before a title shot. Winner of Bisping vs. Rockhold maybe. I'd actually have Kennedy over Romero myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Majority of links have circulated on twitter/Facebook.

Here's a link: http://severemma.com/2014/09/exclusive-video-interview-with-dustin-poirier-ahead-of-ufc-178/

Much appreciated. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It was just little things. Not about what he was saying, more how he looked and how he was answering. In Andrews interview with Poirier, the first two minutes are all questions about Conor directed to him. He's visibly frustrated that none of the questions are really about him. Also there's a longer version of that interview and the Conor questions went on for even longer.

To me he looked frustrated and annoyed at all the Conor questions. Also he was muttering and stuttering the answers to some questions. Throw in the need to lie about the previous days events it just painted a poor picture of the man right now.

I don't see anything in that interview, IMO, that's the way he is, that's the way he speaks.

That's not to say conors not in his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

It must be frustrating though, when conor is interviewed he is asked about conor and when dustin is interviewed he is asked about conor!

anybody see the dustin conor face off earlier today . conor was like HOLD ME BACK HOLD ME BACK and nobody to hold him back . he looked pathetic .

• Advertisement

anybody see the dustin conor face off earlier today . conor was like HOLD ME BACK HOLD ME BACK and nobody to hold him back . he looked pathetic .

Advertisement