Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Severemma who were at the press conference said that when conor mentioned the rookies line, cowboy started slapping the table and laughing.

Then at the scrum, Cowboy was telling him he thought the line was funny and conor was saying 'ya liked that did ya'. Those 2 would get on great id say.

Yeah maybe that is the case. The press conference is way better when the camera is zoomed out. That way you can see the reactions of the other fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Exactly, its banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone got a post fight interview with Poirier? Interested to see what he says went wrong.

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/516351307192762368

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I have a pre-fight video I want people to check out. It's called

"Pre-Fight Interview with Conor McGregor ahead of UFC 178"

by Severeart

I looked the sequence a few times over. The section I'm talking about starts at 3:27. The guy asks a questions and I'm talking about the answer given by Conor immediately after.

Analyze the body language and his answer to the question. I'm pretty sure i have watched every single pre fight interview he had at least 2 times each in the lead up to UFC 178 but this was the most interesting moment....a very revealing moment. At least i thought anyway. I'm not going to say what meaning I interpreted from it but would like to hear what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I was more nervous watching that than the first time I got the shift.

Conor you beauty.

I've had rougher shifts than what Poirier managed to give Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think the real hit was the clean punch he got in a few seconds before. Anyone else using headphones so as not to wake people up would have heard it very loud and clear.

Recorded it and watched it over erm... breakfast... in the afternoon. Shouted the house down..

Neighbours probably thought we were watching the womens bogball and lost our marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think Tim Kennedy has a genuine complaint but my issue is that he should have put away an exhausted fighter. I think he carelessly rushed in to get a finish and got caught. I'm not exactly fond of the guy ('Murka) so can't say I'm unhappy about it.

My fight of the night had to be Cat Zingano vs. Amanda Nunes. After a crappy year for Zingano (her husband killed himself this year if you didn't know) she looked almost done in the first round but came back for an inspirational beatdown. Her post fight speech had me welling up like a fat guy who was told there was no more pies.

Stephen Thompson is an absolute beast at WW now. He always had the striking skills but after Matt Brown grinded him out he realised that grappling was missing from his arsenal and now he's certainly a complete fighter.

Masvidal gets it done again. Would love to see him get the winner of Edson Barboza vs. Bobby Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Where can I get full extended highlights. All I'm getting is 'not available in your region' when I Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

hadepsx wrote: »
    Where can I get full extended highlights. All I'm getting is 'not available in your region' when I Google it.

Its airing tonight on 3e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

hadepsx wrote: »

<snip>

Mod: Don't post illegal links to streams etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭p to the e

Before it's changed on Wikipedia

4JZbnR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

big john dropped the ball on the romero thing. should have stopped the fight. i had a 6 accumulator and lost it on that fight.

the Cruz stoppage was very slow, say Mizugaki took about 15 more shots than he needed to

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pauldoo wrote: »
    big john dropped the ball on the romero thing. should have stopped the fight.
    I thought that at the time, but apparently the guy who was holding everything up (with the Vaseline) was the UFC cutman not somebody from Romero's corner. The stool being left was their fault though. Complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'd say his ego is hurt alright, seemed a legit guy. I think he genuinely thought McGregor was over hyped and that he was going to put him in his place handy enough, was a different story when he was in the cage with him. For all Conor's talk he backed it up, for all Dustins ' He's a scumbag ' 'a clown' 'I'm going to celebrate in an Irish pub' , 'I'll bully him inside the cage and see how he likes it'....his ass got kicked in 1:46 seconds....that's MMA it's a loss that will really damage his rep though he was hoping for a title shot , he's dropped way back from that now..

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Great event and Conor looked the business. He just looks so relaxed it's amazing to watch.

Regarding the whole stool and keneddy thing I've little sympathy for him. There's pictures and giffs of him grabbing yoel s gloves while dirty boxing him at the end of the 2nd(check the comments section in this link http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/28/6856985/ufc-nac-bob-bennett-romer-kennedy-wont-be-overuled-mma-news) Little sympathy for him after seeing that. Some fight none the less. Romero is a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp that was just a bizarre fight, from the crazy back and forth, the stool the vaseline, the comeback and the WTF post fight interview.

Kennedy will be on the MMA Hour today to have a cry about it. Would have been fair bad to DQ Romero for cornerman problem. Also Kennedy only to blame for getting finished by an almost done opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yupp that was just a bizarre fight, from the crazy back and forth, the stool the vaseline, the comeback and the WTF post fight interview.

Kennedy will be on the MMA Hour today to have a cry about it. Would have been fair bad to DQ Romero for cornerman problem. Also Kennedy only to blame for getting finished by an almost done opponent.

Was a good fight to watch , but was cringing for him in the post match...

'Go USA! I love you...I love USA!'

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Tonight the fight and pre match will be on from 9 tonight on 3e the Irish channel.Conor has got this sport on our national stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Disclosed payouts online now.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/ufc-178-salaries-demetrious-johnson-183k-conor-mcgregor-150k-top-payroll
    Conor McGregor: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)
    def. Dustin Poirier: $34,000

But this caught my attention
    Cat Zingano: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus)
    def. Amanda Nunes: $15,000

Have to say, that's a pretty disgraceful figure for Zingano in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I like Dustin. He's an emotional guy so I'm not surprised that he's hurting. Still only 25 so he isn't finished, I've always seen him as a guy who sits just outside the elite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

That_Guy wrote: »

Think the same the lowest of any of the winning fighters and she was on the main card too. Nunes losing to her made only $3,000 less!!

She's the #1 contender even before this bout and isn't even in the top 10 female earners.

I thought she was also unlucky to narrowly miss out on a bonus as I suppose same can be said for Manny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/ufc-178-salaries-demetrious-johnson-183k-conor-mcgregor-150k-top-payroll

Connor on 75k a fight already ????? Wow would have speculated on him getting less than half of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

calex71 wrote: »
    Connor on 75k a fight already ????? Wow would have speculated on him getting less than half of that.

He just signed a new contract before the most recent fight I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

How does it include his bonus? surely its 75 a fight then 75 win bonus = 150k then 50k bonus making it 200k?

Anyone catch what conor was saying to dustin in the middle of the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I'd imagine she's very well looked after by the UFC, I wouldn't be reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    How does it include his bonus? surely its 75 a fight then 75 win bonus = 150k then 50k bonus making it 200k?

It says including win bonus.
    It doesn't include his performance bonus.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

blackbelt1 wrote: »

Anyone catch what conor was saying to dustin in the middle of the fight?

It's $75k to fight, $75k for winning the fight (win bonus). His performance bonus is $50k on top.

Edit: I didn't explain it very well on reading it back. I think when they say including bonus they're talking about his win bonus, and aren't including the performance bonus money at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

El Guapo! wrote: »
    It says including win bonus.
    It doesn't include his performance bonus.
    TherapyBoy wrote: »
    It's $75k to fight, $75k for winning the fight (win bonus). His performance bonus is $50k on top.

My bad,read it wrong got performance and win bonus mixed up.

For all the shout outs he gave the fertitta's in the press conference im pretty sure there was a reason for that nice bit of cash maybe

Wonder what the tax man will take from the 200k

Advertisement