Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

allotmoto wrote: »
    My bad, I didn't realise the level of discussion you were looking for.

Why don't the UFC just strip Aldo of the belt and give it to McGregor? He'll whoop everybody in the division easily, putting him in the cage with different styles of fighters will be absolutely pointless. Óleeeee, óle óle óleeeeee, óleeeee óleeeeee

Conor has faced 4 fellas that wanted to stand with him, it would be interesting to see him against Guida some one that wants him on his back for the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,123 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Conor has faced 4 fellas that wanted to stand with him, it would be interesting to see him against Guida some one that wants him on his back for the fight
    I'd like to think that putting him on his back was the plan for Porrier and Brandao too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd like to think that putting him on his back was the plan for Porrier and Brandao too tbh.

I'd say it was, and I was impressed with how he handled Brandao's takedown. But he's still fought four guys who are predominately strikers, Edgar or Mendes would be different. We don't really know what Conor's wrestling is like yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

John_D80 wrote: »
    Seriously??? You genuinely believe that a brief segment on UFC embedded is enough to form a considered opinion on a fighters training??

Watch the press conference. Dana goes on at length about how Cerrone's extra curriculars the week of the fight annoy him. Maybe it's just his way of staying relaxed, but at the top level doing that kind of stuff the week of the fight is not ideal preparation and could be the difference. He has big losses on his record so who's to say that's not a factor.

I never made any reference to his training, I'm sure his fight-specific stuff is spot on.

Also, get to f*ck with your snide attitude, I'm entitled to my opinion. I'd love to know where you get your expertise from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Shattered and turns out I woke half the house up when McGregor won. The death stares were epic this morning/afternoon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Any links to the fight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

darced wrote: »

Are you real? name the year he beat petttis ffs its like saying conor was beaten because his bjj is no good seen as he was submitted years ago get a grip showtime would embarass him if they met tomorrow.

allotmoto wrote: »
    My bad, I didn't realise the level of discussion you were looking for.

Why don't the UFC just strip Aldo of the belt and give it to McGregor? He'll whoop everybody in the division easily, putting him in the cage with different styles of fighters will be absolutely pointless. Óleeeee, óle óle óleeeeee, óleeeee óleeeeee

Have you been watching clay guida lately? or did you just look at his record and see he beat the champ donkeys years ago by lying on him for the whole fight? bermudez beat him up like a red headed step child a few weeks ago pathetic performance should be cut never mind get a fight with McGregor
    Mellor wrote: »

He was going to get submitted by these high level guys according to a lot of people funny he put them away before either cud land a take down same will be said for anyone else in the division he lights them up and ruins their plans

There is more of a chance of me winning the euro millions than nik lentz getting matched up conor mcgregor,He would be knocked out with ease and theres not a person that would pay to see that fight

the only people who can give him trouble are edgar and aldo in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I think wrestling his probably the best attribute to have for the when fighting in mma but knock out power isnt far behind,I'd love to see conor tee off on someone for 3 rounds but his power is too big for his competitors to make it out of the first round,

There would be no shame in losing to frankie edgar or aldo next anyways who would've though he'd be in title contention bar himself in all honesty a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Anyone any links to what poirer had to say post fight?? Mcgregor just keeps giving, a joy to watch in action!! We have a genuine irish world class athlete competing at the top table of his sport to enjoy and it's not often this comes along so let's savour it!!
    Have to admit I'm not a fan of the trash talk but conor is always very gracious in victory which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I don't know why people give out about the trash talk. It serves two purposes. First is to create hype around the fight so he gets more attention from fans and the media, thereby making his climb up the rankings easier and allowing him quicker access to top fights. Secondly, it gets him into the head of his opponents and has them partly beaten long before they enter the ring.

Compare Conor's UFC career to that of Denis Bermudez. The guy has 7 wins in the division but is still a fight or two away from a title shot, while having taken much longer and exposed himself to more potential damage than Conor has, and has also made a lot less money in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

any ideas whwere one could find the post fight scrum with dana?

any ideas whwere one could find the post fight scrum with dana?

There wasnt one,there was a conor one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

hhhmm i usually like the post fight scrum, but this one may have revolved around the stool too much for dana haha

According to the clowns on FB '' there was no punches landed in that fight be biased and lick some hole but when it comes down it that wasn't a scrap''

Their ignorance knows no bounds.

If they seen any ufc fighter they would be all over them like a cheap suit trying to take pictures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

I don't know why people give out about the trash talk. It serves two purposes. First is to create hype around the fight so he gets more attention from fans and the media, thereby making his climb up the rankings easier and allowing him quicker access to top fights. Secondly, it gets him into the head of his opponents and has them partly beaten long before they enter the ring.

Compare Conor's UFC career to that of Denis Bermudez. The guy has 7 wins in the division but is still a fight or two away from a title shot, while having taken much longer and exposed himself to more potential damage than Conor has, and has also made a lot less money in the process.

Don't get me wrong oregano, I completely 100% understand the reasoning behind the trash talk. As conor himself said post fight "business is business" and at that the fight business is fight business.
    I just feels he lets himself down sometimes and it's hard to listen to.
    Surprisingly aswell though, it is actually working at getting inside his opponents head. I can't believe a top athlete like poirer actually let it affect them. The same happened with brandao!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

bono_v wrote: »
    I just feels he lets himself down sometimes and it's hard to listen to.
    Surprisingly aswell though, it is actually working at getting inside his opponents head. I can't believe a top athlete like poirer actually let it affect them. The same happened with brandao!!

Find it painful to listen to myself
    can't bear listening to the trash talk leading up to a fight as I don't find it funny and it gets a bit cringeworthy at times

on the other hand he talks so much sense in the post fight interview and says what most us think and is quite funny, would be hard not to warm to him in fairness

If there wasnt a word spoke before the brandao fight or poirier fight and he wasnt in their heads the result would be no different imo his skill set is just simply better than what hes against,Its humour to him I reckon making these statements and it also helps ppv's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    If there wasnt a word spoke before the brandao fight or poirier fight and he wasnt in their heads the result would be no different imo his skill set is just simply better than what hes against,Its humour to him I reckon making these statements and it also helps ppv's.

You're correct, th result would be no different, however, the popularity would be completely different.

Think of it like this. Im 32 (33 in a few days but im clinging to 32 still :D). My parents dont watch, or even would not watch MMA. They have no understanding of it.

However, they both know who Conor Mcgregor is. This is what Conor is doing. He's making his name a brand name. And if people cant see that, then more fool them.

My sister in law works for a publishing company that signed a deal to publish Conors first autobiography. When he was in with them, the week after the Brandao fight, she was saying how impressed everybody in the office was with him.

The director came out of the meeting and even said that Conor was one of the smartest, and most likeable people he'd ever met. He said his positivity was simply infectious.

The guy knows his worth, he realises that in the fight game you have a fairly short window of opportunity, so he's willing to push his way to the front of the queue to make more money. Its simply business. The guy is doing everything correctly.

Yeah he's brash, yeah he's cocky, boy jaysus does he spout some shi*e, but he backs it up and above all else, he puts bums on seats and keeps the Conor McGregor name in the spot light.

I personally think the guy is fantastic for this country. If you look at all our other high profile athletes, most of them would be footballers. Most of them dont even live here, have half english accents and talk the same media savvy garbage as the next footballer. They dont talk Ireland up for the fantastic place that it is. You never hear Conor slagging Ireland off, he represents this country like no other, thats a plain fact.

Long may his rise and reign continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dustin landed some hard shots. Will have to watch it back to see which broke his tooth!

tooth_mc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I think it might have been when McGregor was moving back and got clipped. He never got hit cleanly in that fight in my opinion. He was definitely clipped once or twice, but never clean, or square.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

This was the punch that did the initial damage in my opinion. A monster of a left hook. http://zippy.gfycat.com/EllipticalZealousElkhound.webm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Yep as I said he has got caught with a few early shots in the last few fights, needs to work on that now he will be really at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Mcgregor should put on some boxing gloves with those KO fists of his.He is the only reason I watch MMA and is bringing a new audience to the sport.I bet many of us would go to the Aviva stadium to watch him fight.Hope his thumb gets better too.My son wants a MMA game for the PS4 now that has Conor in it off Santa.

0.jpg

We took over horse racing and golf and boxing now its MMA :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Who is boxing or MMA has this guys character Mayweather?He talks the talk and walks the walk and eats King crisps what more can we ask for.And he seems to love his country.

king%20mcgregor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mcgregor should put on some boxing gloves with those KO fists of his.He is the only reason I watch MMA and is bringing a new audience to the sport.I bet many of us would go to the Aviva stadium to watch him fight.Hope his thumb gets better too.My son wants a MMA game for the PS4 now that has Conor in it off Santa.

We took over horse racing and golf and boxing now its MMA :pac:

THAT is the reason we should embrace the Conor euphoria, people like this will be coming in their droves now and starting to love the sport which we've all loved for years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Dustin went down with an illegal punch to the back of the head and then was clearly conscious and moving to his back when herb stopped the fight. Another lucky fight for your boy.
    Anyway as Conor says himself Dustin is just a journeyman. Give him Cub or mini Mendes next. If he gets through I'll finally give Conor some credit. Let's be fair Poirier is just trailer thrash from Louisiana

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dustin went down with an illegal punch to the back of the head and then was clearly conscious and moving to his back when herb stopped the fight. Another lucky fight for your boy.
    Anyway as Conor says himself Dustin is just a journeyman. Give him Cub or mini Mendes next. If he gets through I'll finally give Conor some credit. Let's be fair Poirier is just trailer thrash from Louisiana

WTF? He was standing when he threw that punch, as for illegals on the ground, Dustin was moving his head so quick to avoid the punches, if he'd staye still he'd have been out cold...simples.
    Just accept that Conor destroyed him

• Advertisement

I'd advise anybody to not even think about biting to this post,poor poor fishing attempt.

His interviews last longer than the fights and that says it all!

Advertisement