Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    I'd advise anybody to not even think about biting to this post,poor poor fishing attempt.

His interviews last longer than the fights and that says it all!

too late, i fed the troll :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Mcgregor should put on some boxing gloves with those KO fists of his.He is the only reason I watch MMA and is bringing a new audience to the sport.I bet many of us would go to the Aviva stadium to watch him fight.Hope his thumb gets better too.My son wants a MMA game for the PS4 now that has Conor in it off Santa.

0.jpg

We took over horse racing and golf and boxing now its MMA :pac:

Why does it say welterweight, then weight 155, when Conor actually'fights at.145

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Watch the press conference. Dana goes on at length about how Cerrone's extra curriculars the week of the fight annoy him. Maybe it's just his way of staying relaxed, but at the top level doing that kind of stuff the week of the fight is not ideal preparation and could be the difference. He has big losses on his record so who's to say that's not a factor.

I never made any reference to his training, I'm sure his fight-specific stuff is spot on.

Also, get to f*ck with your snide attitude, I'm entitled to my opinion. I'd love to know where you get your expertise from.

I did watch the press conference. Live actually. Dana spoke for about 20-30 seconds about Cerrone's activities during fight week. That's hardly 'at length' as you put it. And it was quite obviously a reference to how things like that might get him injured as opposed to how they would effect his general performance. But hey if you (or Dana White) know the fighters body better than he does himself, then who am I to doubt you.

Sorry if you think I was being snide though. I actually wasn't. Was just genuinely wondering how you could question a fighters preparation based on what you saw on a 5 minute embedded video which accounted for a minuscule portion of his fight prep.

And I certainly don't question your entitlement to an opinion. Apologies if I gave the impression that I did. So with that in mind, get to f*ck yourself, if you cant handle somebody disagreeing with you. Maybe staying up late last night has made you a bit touchy. Record the fights in future if you're gonna get so cranky. There's a good girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Why does it say welterweight, then weight 155, when Conor actually'fights at.145

I wouldn't mind that inaccuracy, have you not noticed he's fighting Bruce Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor would take Lee out in one rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Gumbi wrote: »
    This was the punch that did the initial damage in my opinion. A monster of a left hook. http://zippy.gfycat.com/EllipticalZealousElkhound.webm

You can see how incredible his boxing is there. Look at what looks to me like a fake jab with his right laying up the left.

Unreal. Peahead just walks straight into it.

Also Peahead look like some seriously sore loser. Hes going off to sulk now id say.

Funny him calling Conor immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

walshb wrote: »

Andy maybe, but Bruce? No way

walshb wrote: »

Well obviously. Lee's grappling sucks and he probably can't take a punch

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bitemeluis wrote: »
    Andy maybe, but Bruce? No way

Way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

this thread has turned painful

• Advertisement

What are cowboy's extracurriculars?
    Riding all round him?

By the way thanks Joe Rogan thanks for confirming what I always suspected. Despite the name Alvarez, Eddie is actually Irish.

Big dopey Paddy head on him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

John_D80 wrote: »
    I did watch the press conference. Live actually. Dana spoke for about 20-30 seconds about Cerrone's activities during fight week. That's hardly 'at length' as you put it. And it was quite obviously a reference to how things like that might get him injured as opposed to how they would effect his general performance. But hey if you (or Dana White) know the fighters body better than he does himself, then who am I to doubt you.

Dana talked about how draining a day at the beach is, then says how Cowboy has spent every day in the lead up to fight week at lake mead, so he wasn't just talking about injury potential, he was questioning his preparation for the fight, as I was.
    Sorry if you think I was being snide though. I actually wasn't. Was just genuinely wondering how you could question a fighters preparation based on what you saw on a 5 minute embedded video which accounted for a minuscule portion of his fight prep.

My main point was that going wakeboarding in the week of a fight is not a good idea, and a waste of energy best spent elsewhere. Doing something every day is not a miniscule proportion of time.
    And I certainly don't question your entitlement to an opinion. Apologies if I gave the impression that I did. So with that in mind, get to f*ck yourself, if you cant handle somebody disagreeing with you. Maybe staying up late last night has made you a bit touchy. Record the fights in future if you're gonna get so cranky. There's a good girl.

This is just a load of insults. I don't know what you hoped to achieve here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

John_D80 and Oregano_State, drop the little back and forth. If you can't be civil then use the ignore feature.

Cyber Ghost, baiting and fighter bashing are against the charter. Don't post in this thread again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Watched the fight last night with two lads from work. Two of us are big UFC fans and massive Conor fans already, the other just came along for something to do.. today in work on his lunch, our friend who has never watched a fight before in his life subscribed to fight pass, he has watched all of Conor's fights and is so excited about what happens next, he even bought fighters only magazine to read at home. Safe to say UFC 178 created a few fans if my friend was anything to go off.

Also say what you want about Conor, he is such a nice fella, met him at the Green Isle for his meet and greet in April and have met him working in the airport a few times. Totally unlike any other celebs I have ever met, will stop and chat, get a photo, won't rush off. And what he has done for martial arts in this country is unreal. Even my Dad was up cheering him last night at 4am. Long live this hype and buzz around Conor. It is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As for the EA UFC Game, some fighters can fight across multiple divisions (Conor will be WW champ eventually according to JK)

Also, McGregor vs. Lee took place after the UFC Dublin weigh in's and Conor won via Flying Knee so that sorts that argument :)

There was a competition run by EA whereyou fight Conor vs Dustin and email them the ending fight stats. Closest to the actual result wins a load of UFC goodies. I was out by 2 minutes!

Cowboy is gas out drinking Bud at post press con and will never give up wake boarding bo matter what Dana thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

When I saw Conor on TV in the Irish show it was better than a boxing match.Conor had the crowd going wild.It is full on action as you never know when a guy will get smashed with a foot or fist or be dragged down to the ground and put in a headlock.Boxing has been something I liked but it has gone dead in the heavyweight division and look at the scoring in the Arthur Abraham fight you can see home town decisions.MMA you get knocked out faster and have to be not just blocking punches but kicks and round houses and foot sweeps.

As for the bravado you hear from Conor you hear that in school when you are 15 lads will have that banter all day long.He was never abusive like Dustin was when he called Conor a scum bag.I love the fancy suits he wears he is like something out of the movie Gangs of New York.Walking into Irish music with his gang behind him into battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4R-qy5T7E he won in the game too against Dustin the turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Anyone got a post fight interview with Poirier? Interested to see what he says went wrong.

Anyone got a post fight interview with Poirier? Interested to see what he says went wrong.

Must say the silence from his camp is deafening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

ps3man wrote: »
    Must say the silence from his camp is deafening

I wonder how his after party in the burger joint went,pity he couldnt organise the irish pub like he had planned,

Wouldnt of heard the end of it if poirier knocked him out as he planned on,doing it for the whole division was the plan.

• Advertisement

Some fighters don't like doing interviews after losing, nothing new. Working for months just for one night and losing has to absolutely suck. I don't mind the fish and chips jibe, conor said worse about where dustin comes from. Looking forward to Dustins next fight.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Some fighters don't like doing interviews after losing, nothing new. Working for months just for one night and losing has to absolutely suck. I don't mind the fish and chips jibe, conor said worse about where dustin comes from. Looking forward to Dustins next fight.

Nothing on twitter, Even Diego tweeted straight after the fight in Dublin to say well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

ps3man wrote: »
    Nothing on twitter, Even Diego tweeted straight after the fight in Dublin to say well done.

diego had already bowed to him, think Dustin is in denial and maybe a bit sheepish:)

I always check for Mir to talk about his losses but there is never a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Anyone have any further info on the exchange between Cerrone and McGregor? At the start of the media scrum Cerrone said something like "Rookies and Has Beens" and then was walking off.

Looked like some animosity there

Conor laughed it off but i dont think he was paying attention much.

Something tells me that Cerrone plays this laid back and i dont give a **** kind of character. But at the same time i think he likes the spotlight.

No need to see the post fight interview with Dustin it would be like this only X10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FUR4CdD8Sk

He is better off not having that **** on youtube for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

He wasn't serious at all. He was joking about Conor's comment about the FW division (or did he say it about the LW div too?) being rookies and has beens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Not seen **** myself, but in fairness, credit to DP after CM's hand was raised, he was very gracious in defeat, fair play to him, and good luck to him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Gumbi wrote: »
    He wasn't serious at all. He was joking about Conor's comment about the FW division (or did he say it about the LW div too?) being rookies and has beens.

Conor said it about the FW division. Maybe i am reading too much into it but to me it seemed like a joking typing comment but his body language did not say friendly.

It was more of a "i wish i could shut this fking dudes face". Again maybe not but i have seen it mentioned elsewhere also. These boys cannot like all the attention Conor is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

jodaw wrote: »
    Conor said it about the FW division. Maybe i am reading too much into it but to me it seemed like a joking typing comment but he body language did not say friendly.

It was more of a "i wish i could shut this fking dudes face". Again maybe not but i have seen it mentioned elsewhere also. These boys cannot like all the attention Conor is getting.
    Def reading to much into it, Cowboy was having a laugh about it,

• Advertisement

Severemma who were at the press conference said that when conor mentioned the rookies line, cowboy started slapping the table and laughing.

Then at the scrum, Cowboy was telling him he thought the line was funny and conor was saying 'ya liked that did ya'. Those 2 would get on great id say.

Advertisement