Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

ED E wrote: »
    ADSL(2+) is up to 6km. (e)VDSL2 is up to 2km(1500m). So you're at 16% range for the current system but 50% for the new one (which is weighted towards the short end). 200m is what we'd call close.

So my internet is actually poorer with Efibre? Thats crazy you think they place cabinets closer to people who have Eir broadband, then trying to have everyone connect to the exchange?

25meg is fine, just hope the upload speed and ping are not poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Can anyone explain why my connection is so bad? I'm very near a cabinet that recently went live for eFibre which I waited so long for but my line wasn't eFibre enabled. Looks like I'm connected to the exchange over 3km away (as the crow flies) that exchange has eFibre and is one of the live FTTH exchanges. I can only get 1 Mb so anything would be better! Am I permanently screwed for broadband or have I any chance?

Exchange Code:  Unknown

DSL Enabled:  Yes - 3 MB

NGB Enabled:  Yes - 3 MB

Fibre Enabled: No

LLU Enabled: No

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So my internet is actually poorer with Efibre? Thats crazy you think they place cabinets closer to people who have Eir broadband, then trying to have everyone connect to the exchange?

25meg is fine, just hope the upload speed and ping are not poor.

Its not poorer in your case, but it can be for some people (15Mb ADSL but 7Mb VDSL).

Upload will be significantly higher. You should go from 0.5Mb to 8Mb or 40x faster. Latency(pings) should be very consistent and usually quite low(depends where in the country you are).
    tvc15 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why my connection is so bad? I'm very near a cabinet that recently went live for eFibre which I waited so long for but my line wasn't eFibre enabled. Looks like I'm connected to the exchange over 3km away (as the crow flies) that exchange has eFibre and is one of the live FTTH exchanges. I can only get 1 Mb so anything would be better! Am I permanently screwed for broadband or have I any chance?

Exchange Code:  Unknown

DSL Enabled:  Yes - 3 MB

NGB Enabled:  Yes - 3 MB

Fibre Enabled: No

Not everyone goes through their closest cab. If the blue lines run past your home then theres a chance youll get that by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Not on one of the blue lines either, looks like I might be in a bit of a blind spot! So they don't ever move a connection to a cabinet from the exchange? I could almost run a wire myself I'm so close! Have you ever heard of someone paying to have their line moved?

That I know of to date OpenEir have done no "Network Rearrangement" as BT call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

How do i check my line and the cabinets nearest me? i know its posted somewhere already and i did search the thread

Its not poorer in your case, but it can be for some people (15Mb ADSL but 7Mb VDSL).

Upload will be significantly higher. You should go from 0.5Mb to 8Mb or 40x faster. Latency(pings) should be very consistent and usually quite low(depends where in the country you are).

Have you an idea why my internet is on 1km loop when i am just 450 metres from the exchange? Poorer was the wrong word to use. I just thought my line was closer to the exchange then that and my speeds would be faster.

Can i upgrade to ASDL2 while i wait or is that not feasible?

Happy with 8meg upload only got 312kb at the moment.

Most likely the cables don't run directly to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

My exchange is due to be enabled in the next 2 weeks. From the line stats below, is 20-25Mbps a reasonable expectation?

Down Up
    SN Margin (dB) 13.70 20.90
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.10 8.1
    Output Power (0.1 dBm): 184 121
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 20,256 1,193

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

lockup35 wrote: »
    My exchange is due to be enabled in the next 2 weeks. From the line stats below, is 20-25Mbps a reasonable expectation?

Down Up
    SN Margin (dB) 13.70 20.90
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.10 8.1
    Output Power (0.1 dBm): 184 121
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 20,256 1,193

It is - you might even get 30Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Really so strange? How come i am able to get 6.2 meg on a 7 meg package then? (ASDL1 max is 7meg). I was thinking if my line was that long surely my speed would be lot less then 6 meg? I not an expert just trying to find answers.

The line length doesn't affect speed too badly for ADSL1 for a few km. I am 4km from the exchange and can get 5.4 meg download no problem. The max for anyone in my local exchange on ADSL is 6!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Anyone know why evdsl cabs aren't vectored when they live. Does it take a while or are only certain exchanges vectored?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

I take it from my stats...

Current Rate(kbps) 15356
    Max Rate(kbps) 22484
    SNR Margin(dB) 9.3
    Line Attenuation(dB) 18.5
    Errors(pkts) 167

that the estimate of 15Mbps on efibre are correct? I would have been happy to have a speed anywhere in the 20's but to have the d/l speed of exactly the same as ADSL2 is a real gut punch!

smiddyboy wrote: »
    I take it from my stats...

Current Rate(kbps) 15356
    Max Rate(kbps) 22484
    SNR Margin(dB) 9.3
    Line Attenuation(dB) 18.5
    Errors(pkts) 167

that the estimate of 15Mbps on efibre are correct? I would have been happy to have a speed anywhere in the 20's but to have the d/l speed of exactly the same as ADSL2 is a real gut punch!

You're in the gray zone where ADSL is the same or better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Anyone know why evdsl cabs aren't vectored when they live. Does it take a while or are only certain exchanges vectored?

Vectoring causes interference to other operators service such as LLU, so typically it isn't enabled in exchanges.

It was a struggle for Eir to even get permission to do basic eVDSL due to interference issues. In the UK BT still haven't done eVDSL because of these issues, so we are actually lucky to have eVDSL here at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

Has exchange-based vectoring been rolled out anywhere to date? There was mention quite some time back that it was in trial in a select few exchanges

I'm worried that the bean-counters at open eir will prioritise spending on their FTTH rollout and decide exchange vectoring doesn't need to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

sennah wrote: »
    Has exchange-based vectoring been rolled out anywhere to date? There was mention quite some time back that it was in trial in a select few exchanges

I'm worried that the bean-counters at open eir will prioritise spending on their FTTH rollout and decide exchange vectoring doesn't need to happen

The vectoring cards are in place, just not enabled

Regulatory delays??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think it's in place in Greystones - my line was showing max 25Mb before, and 30Mb now. Some other numbers close to the exchange are showing speeds of above 70.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think it's in place in Greystones - my line was showing max 25Mb before, and 30Mb now. Some other numbers close to the exchange are showing speeds of above 70.

My own line shows a max-attainable well above 70 but the most I can order is 70. I do hope they proceed with exchange vectoring as the NBP has largely exempted areas in and around exchanges

• Advertisement

I will have efibre this Monday. Just got a call they be here between 1pm and 5pm on Monday to install it.

Hope they do eventually get around to it. Its a pain downloading stuff. On my last connection it took almost 12 hours to download 30gb

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭noc1980

Anyone know roughly how long until a cabinet goes live after it's installed? One went in my estate a week ago but Eir's maps haven't updated it's status from 'planned'

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

noc1980 wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly how long until a cabinet goes live after it's installed? One went in my estate a week ago but Eir's maps haven't updated it's status from 'planned'

There's really no way of knowing as there are so many different things that still might have to happen within the cabinet. It will be at the earliest August I'd say and will probably be more. The fact that it only says planned could suggest it could be an even longer wait. Maybe another few months onto August. Sorry there isn't better news for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

noc1980 wrote: »

Think I read over on the eir forum that they aim for 6-9 months to get a cabinet live after it gets installed. The cabinet went into my estate back in January and the efibre map still has it down as Autumn before going live so the 9 months is looking like the minimum at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

MackMack wrote: »
    Think I read over on the eir forum that they aim for 6-9 months to get a cabinet live after it gets installed. The cabinet went into my estate back in January and the efibre map still has it down as Autumn before going live so the 9 months is looking like the minimum at this stage.

It varies from site to site and cab to cab.
    My cab was live less than a month after it was installed. In contrast, the last cab to go live in my town was about 6 months ago. It was the first cab dropped about 2 years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

I upgraded to eVDSL about 3 months ago and have been receiving 18 Mbs download (up from a previous 12 Mbs Adsl).

When I ran my own phone and a neighbours phone through the Digiweb business line check I got the following:-

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 30 MB

Does this mean vectoring has actually been deployed.

Hibrasil wrote: »
    I upgraded to eVDSL about 3 months ago and have been receiving 18 Mbs download (up from a previous 12 Mbs Adsl).

When I ran my own phone and a neighbours phone through the Digiweb business line check I got the following:-

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 30 MB

Rang Vodafone technical support and instantaneously almost my profile is upped.

Ping 28ms Download 22.29Mbs Upload 4.79Mbs (compared to 32ms / 17.26Mbs / 4.33Mbs)

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Rang Vodafone technical support and instantaneously almost my profile is upped.

Ping 28ms Download 22.29Mbs Upload 4.79Mbs (compared to 32ms / 17.26Mbs / 4.33Mbs)

That's rate adaptive so keep an eye that its stable.

• Advertisement

That's rate adaptive so keep an eye that its stable.

Rate adaptive? I don't understand what that means (sorry). Its stable on any test so far! Online check shows max as 30 Mbs - is there room to squeeze it close to the 30Mbs do you think?. I'm connected to a cabinet (I think) rather than the exchange.

Advertisement