Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its probably set to 30Mb now but is going as fast as it can at ~22Mb. Thats great to eek the most speed out of the line but means a minimal safety barrier. Usually fine, but if you notice any brief disconnects you know where to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Just got installed 10 minutes ago.

5434685178.png

I got a ping of 15 a few times when i tested. Also 24mb and 7mb upload. But this speed is what i see most of the time when i test.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Just got installed 10 minutes ago.

5434685178.png

I got a ping of 15 a few times when i tested. Also 24mb and 7mb upload. But this speed is what i see most of the time when i test.

What speed were you getting on your ADSL2 connection? I'm trying to work out if I would actually get a better speed as I'm a fair distance from the exchange.

lockup35 wrote: »
    What speed were you getting on your ADSL2 connection? I'm trying to work out if I would actually get a better speed as I'm a fair distance from the exchange.

Find out your current downstream Attenuation. That gives us you path length and thus a clear answer as to which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

My attenuation is 16.5 down. The Digiweb line checker is quoting 15Mbps for VDSL which is the same as my ADSL speed.

• Advertisement

Probably not worth upgrading TBH. The prequal can be generous and that should really be a 17Mb ADSL line. If you have an afternoon to spare I'd look at how its currently wired up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

lockup35 wrote: »

I was only on Adsl1 connection about 1km. I was getting 6.2mb download and 324 upload then.

My ping has actually got better now at 9, happy with that!

5435572227.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I was only on Adsl1 connection about 1km. I was getting 6.2mb download and 324 upload then.

My ping has actually got better now at 9, happy with that!

5435572227.png

Sorry to piggy back onto this - but I'm getting similar speeds to what you mentioned and about 700m away from the green cabinet! (with Sky, but figure it's the same as Eircom if its same line?) 5437509187.png

Did you upgrade to the "fibre" version of ADSL? Sky says we're only able for 17.5Mbps max on the line so don't advise it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Shlippery wrote: »
    Sorry to piggy back onto this - but I'm getting similar speeds to what you mentioned and about 700m away from the green cabinet! (with Sky, but figure it's the same as Eircom if its same line?) 5437509187.png

Did you upgrade to the "fibre" version of ADSL? Sky says we're only able for 17.5Mbps max on the line so don't advise it...
    There's something wrong with line or you're not connected to the cab if 17mb is all you can get. Efibre as eir call it is a improvement of ADSL and is called VDSL.

Shlippery wrote: »

You're on ADSL. You dont connect to that cab.

If your VDSL("Fibre") prequal is for 18M it means your line bypasses that cab so you're only eligible to get it from the exchange itself/a further cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

ED E wrote: »
    You're on ADSL. You dont connect to that cab.

If your VDSL("Fibre") prequal is for 18M it means your line bypasses that cab so you're only eligible to get it from the exchange itself/a further cab.

@ED_E - is he on an LLU line? Speedtest says he's with BT Ireland. If so, won't that complicate matters from an eir fibre perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I'm with Sky, on the regular ADSL connection, but line wasn't ever capable of anything strong. Sky have sent a ticket to Eir to investigate anyways, but curious to see if upgrading to the Sky Fibre offering, which I assume is the same as the eir Fibre (due to line rental / wholesale broadband agreement) would make any substantial difference.

From my understanding they just issue a different modem, and that the cables and socket in the wall are still the same, but maybe that's a question for a different thread.

Apologies for derailing things!

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    @ED_E - is he on an LLU line? Speedtest says he's with BT Ireland. If so, won't that complicate matters from an eir fibre perspective?

That just says he's a sky customer, not that he's LLU. If he's prequalling for VDSL then Id assume its not unbundled.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Simple graph showing the distance to speed ratio for adsl, vdsl etc

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Simple graph showing the distance to speed ratio for adsl, vdsl etc

Notably missing is the unvectored VDSL2 which applies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A quick question the physical optic fibre cable, it was run or assumed to be, to our local exchange last spring with VDSL going live this autumn.

My brother was chatting with one of the eir lads a while ago, who said what was actually laid was the ducting for the optic fibre cable to be run later. The KN lads at the time had large reels of orange cable(?).

I picked up a piece of the orange cover which had been discarded at the time which had the following markings - - 160414 - = RADIUS - 3WAY 14/10MM - OPTIC FIBRE CABLE - EIRCOM 5008851 =..

Was it actual optical fibre or just ducting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That just says he's a sky customer, not that he's LLU. If he's prequalling for VDSL then Id assume its not unbundled.

Ed,

Any idea why my downstream attenuation is so high compared to my upstream?

Line Attenuation:
    Downstream: 30.5dB
    Upstream: 19.5dB

Noise Margin
    Downstream: 11.4dB
    Upstream: 19.19dB

Thanks

Upstream doesnt mean much/anything from an enthusiast perspective. Just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The Cush wrote: »
    A quick question the physical optic fibre cable, it was run or assumed to be, to our local exchange last spring with VDSL going live this autumn.

My brother was chatting with one of the eir lads a while ago, who said what was actually laid was the ducting for the optic fibre cable to be run later. The KN lads at the time had large reels of orange cable(?).

I picked up a piece of the orange cover which had been discarded at the time which had the following markings - - 160414 - = RADIUS - 3WAY 14/10MM - OPTIC FIBRE CABLE - EIRCOM 5008851 =..

Sounds like ducting. The 14/10 MM is the outside/inside diameter.

Upstream doesnt mean much/anything from an enthusiast perspective. Just ignore it.

Thanks Ed,
    This site says my VDSL2 max speed will be 15Mb, does that sound about right?

• Advertisement

Two scenarios:

A: eFibre and ADSL from the exchange itself
    - 2200m line
    - Not viable for eVDSL, no upgrade for you

B: FTTC from a remote cabinet, ADSL from the exchange
    - Your current attenuation has nothing to do with your VDSL attenuation so we can't predict anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's the subduct sheathing. It contains 3 smaller tubes that they blow the fibre through.
    260749.JPG

272282.JPG

Two scenarios:

A: eFibre and ADSL from the exchange itself
    - 2200m line
    - Not viable for eVDSL, no upgrade for you

B: FTTC from a remote cabinet, ADSL from the exchange
    - Your current attenuation has nothing to do with your VDSL attenuation so we can't predict anything.

Living in Clarina in Limerick which has one exchange and one cabinet.

Exchange went live last month, cabinet says within six weeks.

I am about 1.1km from the cabinet and 2.2km from the exchange.

Would my stats indicate I'm connected to the exchange?

When I enter my number into Eir website it says

"You are in an advanced broadband area"

"You can get a maximum of 12Mb download speed"

Currently getting about 4Mb.

Neighbor living near the exchange already got eFibre but I can't so wondering if i'm actually connected to the cabinet :)

Thanks for your help.

Any reason for prequal changing dramatically? Eir and digiweb have said 30mb on fibre for a long time but just checked again and now its saying 18mb?
    Any ideas?

This is what i get from the modem. vodafone dropped it back to 25mb a few weeks ago after some stability issues.

Neighbor living near the exchange already got eFibre but I can't so wondering if i'm actually connected to the cabinet :)

Enter your number here and post the result - http://www1.digiweb.ie/BusinessLineChecker/default.aspx

Living in Clarina in Limerick which has one exchange and one cabinet.
    Exchange went live last month, cabinet says within six weeks.
    I am about 1.1km from the cabinet and 2.2km from the exchange.

Thanks for your help.
    Enter your number here and post the result - http://www1.digiweb.ie/BusinessLineChecker/default.aspx

If the above site gives any fibre result at all you should be on the cabinet, if it gives none you could be on either but we wont know till its live(or close to).

guil wrote: »
    Any reason for prequal changing dramatically? Eir and digiweb have said 30mb on fibre for a long time but just checked again and now its saying 18mb?
    Any ideas?

This is what i get from the modem. vodafone dropped it back to 25mb a few weeks ago after some stability issues.

Your upstream sucks according to their targets. They're pulling it back to the best viable profile which on paper is 18_3.

It's still syncing at 25/? Speed tests I'm getting 23-25mb consistently and about 6 up on testmynet. No problems that I know of with the connection either.

What could cause the upstream to go to pot like that?

If the above site gives any fibre result at all you should be on the cabinet, if it gives none you could be on either but we wont know till its live(or close to).

Says Fibre : No

Would that mean I'm not on exchange as it's live now and neighbour is connected?

Cabinet not live yet.

Would that mean I'm not on exchange as it's live now and neighbour is connected?

What does the checker say about your neighbours line?

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    It's still syncing at 25/? Speed tests I'm getting 23-25mb consistently and about 6 up on testmynet. No problems that I know of with the connection either.

What could cause the upstream to go to pot like that?

Multiple things. It could have been borderline before. If you have stats from around install time we could compare the delta.
    Says Fibre : No

Cabinet not live yet.

It means:
    Direct to exchange, nothing will change when cab goes live
    OR
    Via cab, we wont know what the situation is until the cab is prequaled(tested).

For now nobody knows so sit tight till that dot goes green then use the above line checker again.

Advertisement