Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, go for it, your download may be the same but your upload should be better.

Thanks again:):)

Yeah, go for it, your download may be the same but your upload should be better.

KN networks engineer called yesterday (saturday) morning and did the necessary change. Download was 17 Mb when he left - shortly after the download speed went back down to 5 Mb - checked this evening (Sunday) and speedtest showed 16 Mb - and again a little later it was 5Mb.

What does anyone know is the problem - why the fluctuations!

Thanks in anticipation!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

**Assuming its not just wifi **

Its not stable, so when it crashes it resyncs low. The fact that its going back up again by itself is a little concerning. Give tech support a ring and ask them to move the line profile down from 18Mb to 15Mb and hopefully it stabilizes, if not they'll need to diagnose further and send it back out to KNN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Strangely I do not know the answer to this question so hoping someone here has had some experience. I'm changing from Eir to Vodafone and have a bridged F2000 and a Mikrotik router. Can I just change the PPPoE login details in the router? Will the F2000 get sync on a Vodafone VDSL port?
    I'm changing next week when I happen to be away so hoping to sort this remotely without need for putting the missus through a hardware swapout in a 12U cabinet that's touching the ceiling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Strangely I do not know the answer to this question so hoping someone here has had some experience. I'm changing from Eir to Vodafone and have a bridged F2000 and a Mikrotik router. Can I just change the PPPoE login details in the router? Will the F2000 get sync on a Vodafone VDSL port?
    I'm changing next week when I happen to be away so hoping to sort this remotely without need for putting the missus through a hardware swapout in a 12U cabinet that's touching the ceiling :D

I'm with Vodafone fibre & using an Eircom F2000. I just entered Vodafone PPPoE details into the F2000 & it worked away. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

There have been reports recently of eir sending couriers (unannounced) to collect the routers from ex-customers, so might want to watch for this and have the missus prepared to disconnect and hand it over.

Yes it will work. All res traffic is VLAN 10 customer side.

But new eir policy is to take the modem back, its unclear if that applies to all legacy installs or just recent customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    There have been reports recently of eir sending couriers (unannounced) to collect the routers from ex-customers, so might want to watch for this and have the missus prepared to disconnect and hand it over.

Yeah I heard that, I have spares I can hand over

**Assuming its not just wifi **

Its not stable, so when it crashes it resyncs low. The fact that its going back up again by itself is a little concerning. Give tech support a ring and ask them to move the line profile down from 18Mb to 15Mb and hopefully it stabilizes, if not they'll need to diagnose further and send it back out to KNN.

Thanks ED.E - The KN engineer tested a phone extension in my sitting room and said it was ok so he replaced that socket with a double socket (inbuilt filter?). After the engineer left - the phone extension in kitchen (where main phone had always been plugged in) was not working - it had no dial tone. So I plugged the phone into single socket in the hall where it worked.

I contacted technical support today and when I ran a speedtest after un-plugging the phone in the hall the download speed went back up to 17.6 Mb.

Am I correct in assuming that the problem is the un-filtered socket in the hall - although a phone plugged in in the main bedroom is(no filter used here) does not cause the same problem.

Suggestions appreciated.....technical support have suggested replacing the phone....I suspect it is not the instrument causing the problem.:)

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Thanks ED.E - The KN engineer tested a phone extension in my sitting room and said it was ok so he replaced that socket with a double socket (inbuilt filter?). After the engineer left - the phone extension in kitchen (where main phone had always been plugged in) was not working - it had no dial tone. So I plugged the phone into single socket in the hall where it worked.

I contacted technical support today and when I ran a speedtest after un-plugging the phone in the hall the download speed went back up to 17.6 Mb.

Am I correct in assuming that the problem is the un-filtered socket in the hall - although a phone plugged in in the main bedroom is(no filter used here) does not cause the same problem.

Suggestions appreciated.....technical support have suggested replacing the phone....I suspect it is not the instrument causing the problem.:)

That double socket he installed should be filtering the entire house.

1. Double socket in hallway - Left is BB, Right is Phone
    2. Ext in kitchen, dis on install - Not OpenEirs problem unfortunately, normal if there was a short present
    3. Ext in hallway(???)

If connecting that same phone upstairs doesnt cause problems then 3 is faulty, thats your problem to sort(get a sparky in). If putting that phone upstairs breaks the connection, bin that phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Just noticed on the speed checking sites that 70/20 is now available on our exchange based vdsl lines. So I'm currently just half way through getting our line profiles notched up.

If any of ye are stuck on 50/15 like I was, it's worth checking on the Eir line checker first.

387386.jpg

Proof of the 70 x 2 connection. Do I win a prize for the fastest vdsl download :) ?

I guess someone out there has 3-4 lines glued together :)

120 of 140, not a bad result for aggregated lines (or are they bonded?).

They are load balanced 50/50 on a sonic wall. Is anyone actually doing bonded vdsl here?

Praetorian wrote: »
    They are load balanced 50/50 on a sonic wall. Is anyone actually doing bonded vdsl here?

Not that I'd heard of, but I dont reach each IPM/RAP revision word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Yay! My exchange has been enabled for efibre!

Boo! Looks like it's not going to worth my while upgrading according to the Digiweb line checker!...

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

LLU Enabled: No

I take it there is no chance this is going to be improved??

I'm currently on a 15 MB profile and get roughly 12/13 consistently. Do you think a move to fibre could get me a couple more MB up to 15, or would it be a waste of time.

My Current ADSL stats are:

Current Rate(kbps) 15356
    Max Rate(kbps) 22484
    SNR Margin(dB) 9.3
    Line Attenuation(dB) 18.5
    Errors(pkts) 167

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

smiddyboy wrote: »
    Yay! My exchange has been enabled for efibre!

Boo! Looks like it's not going to worth my while upgrading according to the Digiweb line checker!...

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

LLU Enabled: No

I take it there is no chance this is going to be improved??

I'm currently on a 15 MB profile and get roughly 12/13 consistently. Do you think a move to fibre could get me a couple more MB up to 15, or would it be a waste of time.

My Current ADSL stats are:

Current Rate(kbps) 15356
    Max Rate(kbps) 22484
    SNR Margin(dB) 9.3
    Line Attenuation(dB) 18.5
    Errors(pkts) 167

Is that checker accurate? Says i can only get 25 meg with Efibre was expecting slightly better to be honest?

Is that checker accurate? Says i can only get 25 meg with Efibre was expecting slightly better to be honest?

For the most part, yes.

For the most part, yes.

Sucks if true. I sent a PM to a Eircom rep. She told me since the exchange is not live till the 22th of June she can't tell what speed i will receive? Not sure if shes fibbing? I told her Digiweb line checher only gave me 25meg. I am only 430 metres 25 meg is not that great. I thought the closer you're to the exchange the faster the speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

The line checkers take a while to update after it goes live. Are you sure you are that close to the exchange? The wires might not run straight to it. Post up the stats from your router and one of the lads will tell you how far you are.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    The line checkers take a while to update after it goes live. Are you sure you are that close to the exchange? The wires might not run straight to it. Post up the stats from your router and one of the lads will tell you how far you are.

If you talking to me yes i about 430-450 metres from the exchange. I receive 6.2 meg and its up to 7meg my package right now ASDL1.

Well the exchange to my house it not a straight line of sight. I looked at the stats it says nothing about Distance what i am looking for exactly to post?

Sucks if true. I sent a PM to a Eircom rep. She told me since the exchange is not live till the 22th of June she can't tell what speed i will receive? Not sure if shes fibbing? I told her Digiweb line checher only gave me 25meg. I am only 430 metres 25 meg is not that great. I thought the closer you're to the exchange the faster the speed?

Feel like posting the full result?

Feel like posting the full result?

Just send a PM with a gif of my modem stats

There's nothing to hide in the stats. Just take a screenshot and post in the thread and someone will tell you the length of your line and a rough idea of what speed you should get.

There's nothing to hide in the stats. Just take a screenshot and post in the thread and someone will tell you the length of your line and a rough idea of what speed you should get.

Contains his public so I won't embed it.

From that:
    Currently on 1km loop on an older ADSL1 Package/Card. 7Mb now but would manage 20Mb ADSL2+ if that were available. Noise levels are right where we'd expect them.

That means you've prequalled for eVDSL which has a reduced footprint of 1500m or so giving 7Mb at that range. You might make 30Mb if all goes well but 40 is quite unlikely.

Contains his public so I won't embed it.

From that:
    Currently on 1km loop on an older ADSL1 Package/Card. 7Mb now but would manage 20Mb ADSL2+ if that were available. Noise levels are right where we'd expect them.

That means you've prequalled for eVDSL which has a reduced footprint of 1500m or so giving 7Mb at that range. You might make 30Mb if all goes well but 40 is quite unlikely.

I thought the efibre speeds are better the closer your house is it to the exchange? Why can't i get higher then 25 meg if its up to 70..

Could it be only 25 meg now because the exchange has not yet gone live or is that wishful thinking?

I would not be that disappointed with 25 meg its 4x times what i have already. Just thought Efibre would be better with all the talk about it. I not far from local exchange so the speeds are not what i expected thats all!

I would not be that disappointed with 25 meg its 4x times what i have already. Just thought Efibre would be better with all the talk about it. I not far from local exchange so the speeds are not what i expected thats all!

Your line is about 1km long so that's why you might not get higher speeds. On 30mb download you will get about 8 upload.

Your line is about 1km long so that's why you might not get higher speeds. On 30mb download you will get about 8 upload.

Really so strange? How come i am able to get 6.2 meg on a 7 meg package then? (ASDL1 max is 7meg). I was thinking if my line was that long surely my speed would be lot less then 6 meg? I not an expert just trying to find answers.

• Advertisement

ADSL(2+) is up to 6km. (e)VDSL2 is up to 2km(1500m). So you're at 16% range for the current system but 50% for the new one (which is weighted towards the short end). 200m is what we'd call close.

Advertisement