Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

ED E wrote: »
    Multiple things. It could have been borderline before. If you have stats from around install time we could compare the delta.

It means:
    Direct to exchange, nothing will change when cab goes live
    OR
    Via cab, we wont know what the situation is until the cab is prequaled(tested).

For now nobody knows so sit tight till that dot goes green then use the above line checker again.

That's the only other one shortly after it was installed on 18/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Notably missing is the unvectored VDSL2 which applies here.

I thought all vdsl2 direct from exchange was vectored? except in the case of fault conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I thought all vdsl2 direct from exchange was vectored? except in the case of fault conditions.

Afaik no eVDSL is vectored yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some are, some aren't. If cabs are too close it probably wont be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Multiple things. It could have been borderline before. If you have stats from around install time we could compare the delta.

It means:
    Direct to exchange, nothing will change when cab goes live
    OR
    Via cab, we wont know what the situation is until the cab is prequaled(tested).

For now nobody knows so sit tight till that dot goes green then use the above line checker again.

If I am connected to the exchange could I not get fiber anyway? Thought Eir site says I can get up to 12Mb on fiber when connected.

Is 2.2km too far from the exchange?

Thanks

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    What does the checker say about your neighbours line?

Neighbour
    Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 20 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 20 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 50 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Mine

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: No

He is right by the exchange, I am roughly 1km from cabinet and 2km from exchange.

Exchange live now, cabinet within six weeks.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Living in Clarina in Limerick which has one exchange and one cabinet.

Exchange went live last month, cabinet says within six weeks.

I am about 1.1km from the cabinet and 2.2km from the exchange.

Would my stats indicate I'm connected to the exchange?

When I enter my number into Eir website it says

"You are in an advanced broadband area"

"You can get a maximum of 12Mb download speed"

Currently getting about 4Mb.

I am roughly 1km from cabinet and 2km from exchange.
    If I am connected to the exchange could I not get fiber anyway? Thought Eir site says I can get up to 12Mb on fiber when connected.

Is 2.2km too far from the exchange?

2.2km is too far for efibre/VDSL from the exchange, the limit is 1.5km for unvectored or 2km for a vectored cab.

Based on your ADSL downstream attenuation you're approx. 2.2km away, so connected to the exchange.

You say you're getting about 4mbps down (ADSL1), the line checker says 12mbps is available to you (ADSL2+). Checking the irelandoffline map, the Clarina exchange is indicated as an ADSL1 exchange (up to 8mbps).

To me it appears when the exchange went live last month it was also upgraded to ADSL2+, hence the reason for 12mbps DSL available to you according to the line checker. Perhaps ED_E or someone else can confirm that a call to your provider will swap you over to the new rack in the exchange?

The Cush wrote: »
    2.2km is too far for efibre/VDSL from the exchange, the limit is 1.5km for unvectored or 2km for a vectored cab.

Based on your ADSL downstream attenuation you're approx. 2.2km away, so connected to the exchange.

You say you're getting about 4mbps down (ADSL1), the line checker says 12mbps is available to you (ADSL2+). Checking the irelandoffline map, the Clarina exchange is indicated as an ADSL1 exchange (up to 8mbps).

To me it appears when the exchange went live last month it was also upgraded to ADSL2+, hence the reason for 12mbps DSL available to you according to the line checker. Perhaps ED_E or someone else can confirm that a call to your provider will swap you over to the new rack in the exchange?

Thanks for reply Cush,

It's been saying 12Mb on the line checker for ages I think, well before the exchange went live, don't know if that makes any difference.

Yes I think the line attenuation would indicate I'm connected to the exchange which is unfortunate as I'm pretty close to the cabinet.

But I would be pretty happy with 12Mb if I could get it somehow.

My Aunt across the road has these figures (she's close to cabinet too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

guil wrote: »
    Afaik no eVDSL is vectored yet.

Why so anyone know? Eir was talking about vectoring 2 years ago why the delay?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why so anyone know? Eir was talking about vectoring 2 years ago why the delay?

It can cause interference with other services running from the exchange and close by VDSL cabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They published the protocols for eVDSL vectoring, Annex E, last year but no update since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm a novice on this stuff so please go gently!

I see from openeir.ie that my local exchange LNH1-E01 is due to go live tomorrow. I live about 400 yards from one of the 2 fibre cabinets which have been installed in Lahinch. I'm 600 yards from the other one btw.

I have an Eir phone line up and running for years and have used their NGB getting pretty decent results speed wise and near total reliability.

My question is what happens next and when? Any idea on the likely timeline?

I've heard nothing from Eir on the upgrade.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Order the broadband online and eir will get in touch with you.

My exchange goes live on the 20th, but seeing as I'm 100m from the exchange I'm well aware I'll 100% be able to get it so put in an order.

If there's any issues someone from eir will get back onto you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

marno21 wrote: »
    Order the broadband online and eir will get in touch with you.

My exchange goes live on the 20th, but seeing as I'm 100m from the exchange I'm well aware I'll 100% be able to get it so put in an order.

If there's any issues someone from eir will get back onto you.

It didn't let me order but I left my details and existing account no. etc.

It didn't let me order but I left my details and existing account no. etc.

You've queued yourself for a callback by doing that but if I were you and interested in getting it I'd:

Keep an eye on http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/
    then call to order yourself when its enabled and prequalified.

NB: If it goes live on a W/S level tomorrow that could be the start of the notice period meaning orders may start only on August 6th.

You've queued yourself for a callback by doing that but if I were you and interested in getting it I'd:

Keep an eye on http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/
    then call to order yourself when its enabled and prequalified.

NB: If it goes live on a W/S level tomorrow that could be the start of the notice period meaning orders may start only on August 6th.

No prob. and thanks.

We've been waiting for fibre bb for years so I'll certainly be shopping around for the best deal.

Sky have a decent introductory one on right now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

Does anyone have any news on when vectoring for exchanges will be activated

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Does anyone have any news on when vectoring for exchanges will be activated

It is activated in some exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Here is the step by step instructions for getting the line details. Any questions please let me know

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hfcxhrzfewhpfg/Eircom%20line%20checker.doc?dl=0

Line checker not working since Eir updated their website any workaround ? many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eagleriver

Just wondering if a few of you in the know could give me some direction on the problems I am having getting better broadband.

Eir tell me that I am a direct to exchange line. I am currently paying for a 3Mb service, which is all i could realistically get on our old exchange. All traffic used to beamed out of this exchange (Quin,Clare) via radio-link,with a capped backhaul, but it was recently connected to the fibre network and fibre went live in the village. I'll post my stats now and you'll see why I am scratching my head.

snr margin: 34.5db up and 13.0db down, Line attenuation: 16.5db up and down, Data Rate is 3072 and 384 kbps, and Max Rate is 11168 kbps up and 1212 kbps down. However, I only get max rate late at night. During the day, contention means that I am only getting 0.5 Mb download. Today i managed a rate of a heady 256kbps.

Now, the line attenuation tells me that I am about 1.1 km from either a cabinet or exchange. However, eir tell me that I am direct to the exchange. The exchange is 2.2km away from me and there are NO cabinets, anywhere, closer to me than the exchange. So what is going on??

I am being told that I am not in a fibre area, yet two separate loyalty agents contacted "wholesale" who told them that there was a way I could get fibre but it involved canceling my existing service and then signing up for the new fibre service, but that it would involve some downtime. One guy said 10 mins and the other agent said up to two weeks- any chance this was eVDSL?

When I rang back to enquire exactly what service I would be getting, a third agent rang "wholesale" who then told him that there was no way i could get the upgrade on my line, and then he advised that I shouldn't even know the name "wholesale". They're like the NSA down there!!!!

Am I right in thinking that I am still on the old ADSL1 service with the old radio link, and that they didn't connect the old rack to the fibre for backhaul? Is there anything I can do? Eir insist that I am direct to exchange even though I brought their attention to the line stats and the 1km indicated line length. The last agent has upgraded me to the max ADSL1 service the line can take, but that wont be active until Monday, so I won't know until then if i get any improvement to my daytime service.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

eagleriver wrote: »
    Just wondering if a few of you in the know could give me some direction on the problems I am having getting better broadband.

Eir tell me that I am a direct to exchange line. I am currently paying for a 3Mb service, which is all i could realistically get on our old exchange. All traffic used to beamed out of this exchange (Quin,Clare) via radio-link,with a capped backhaul, but it was recently connected to the fibre network and fibre went live in the village. I'll post my stats now and you'll see why I am scratching my head.

snr margin: 34.5db up and 13.0db down, Line attenuation: 16.5db up and down, Data Rate is 3072 and 384 kbps, and Max Rate is 11168 kbps up and 1212 kbps down. However, I only get max rate late at night. During the day, contention means that I am only getting 0.5 Mb download. Today i managed a rate of a heady 256kbps.

Now, the line attenuation tells me that I am about 1.1 km from either a cabinet or exchange. However, eir tell me that I am direct to the exchange. The exchange is 2.2km away from me and there are NO cabinets, anywhere, closer to me than the exchange. So what is going on??

I am being told that I am not in a fibre area, yet two separate loyalty agents contacted "wholesale" who told them that there was a way I could get fibre but it involved canceling my existing service and then signing up for the new fibre service, but that it would involve some downtime. One guy said 10 mins and the other agent said up to two weeks- any chance this was eVDSL?

When I rang back to enquire exactly what service I would be getting, a third agent rang "wholesale" who then told him that there was no way i could get the upgrade on my line, and then he advised that I shouldn't even know the name "wholesale". They're like the NSA down there!!!!

Am I right in thinking that I am still on the old ADSL1 service with the old radio link, and that they didn't connect the old rack to the fibre for backhaul? Is there anything I can do? Eir insist that I am direct to exchange even though I brought their attention to the line stats and the 1km indicated line length. The last agent has upgraded me to the max ADSL1 service the line can take, but that wont be active until Monday, so I won't know until then if i get any improvement to my daytime service.

Cheers

Your attenuation does indeed indicate a ~1100m line, which should give you 8Mbps on plain old ADSL, but if the exchange is indeed radio, then that wont help.

Fire your telephone number in here and read us back what it says.

If the exchange is 2.2KM away (presumably by road), are you sure your line doesn't reach it via a more direct route? Just looking at the open eir map of the area - is there any chance you might be closer to a cabinet near Clarecastle or Ennis? Are you on a blue line on this map? If so then you will probably get FTTH from eir sometime by 2020.
    391940.JPG

Thanks for the reply... yeah I am on the blue line for FTTH on that map. But given past experience I would expect 2020 to be unrealistic... more like 2025 if it happens at all. Also, the digiweb site will only tell you what Eir have pre-qualified the line for. In my case it says DSL 2Mb, and no to ngb and fibre.The NGA map tells you that 500 premises in this exchange are now fibre enabled, which has to be a lie, because there were only 400 households in the entire Quin area at the census. The village has speeds of up to 70 they say now.

Anyway, it doesn't solve my current issue. We all thought that even though they weren't going to bring fibre to the outlying houses, that they would at least use the fibre for backhaul, and that we would get fairly constant and stable ADSL1 service. My wife works from home, in a web-based business, but could work with a consistent 5/6 Mb service until FTTH rolls around.

Really I was just looking for some insight into the agents saying "wholesale said there was a way for me to get connected to fibre", that involved disconnecting my existing service and then reconnecting. It was as if they were saying that as an existing customer, nothing would be done for me, but that as a new connection, they could rig me up to the fibre. On top of that, my wife asked the first agent why she couldn't just go to Vodaphone and order fibre from them,(as we are out of contract), and the agent intimated that unless we were staying with Eir, the line would not be upgraded, and the competitors would never be able to offer fibre. Then suddenly the last guy tells me no way, no how, could I get connected to the fibre, and that wholesale had put a note on my account to that effect. I have voice recordings of all these calls- for verification purposes ;)

The other thing I was looking for help on was the line Attenuation stat... I get what you are saying about being closer to another cabinet nearer Ennis, but it's absolutely not the case. There is no cabinet in any direction, closer to me than the exchange, and line of sight to the exchange is 1.9km. Four seperate Tech Support agents have told me categorically that they cannot explain the Attenuation, but that I am 100% a direct feed to the exchange in Quin. Our lines were all burnt out by a lightning strike a year ago, and were replaced, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Cheers

P

Just a follow up. Rang Eir today to get my speed increased to the max the line could take and it appears that the agents cannot increase my speed as the line has been capped at 2Mb because of "Equipment constraints". Even though my line is capable of the full 8 on ADSL1, some kind soul in Eir has decided that those lines that are not being upgraded to fibre, will be left to rot on a 2Mb package until they get FTTH sometime in the next 3-7 years. They actually downgraded my prequal from 3Mb to 2Mb, and the system will not allow any agent to increase my package above that. This is ironic as I am already getting 3Mb, albeit late at night!! So my poor connection is explained by the fact that we are still on the old radio link, which was always rubbish.
    Still doesn't explain the Line Attenuation stats showing a line half the length of what it really is,and I am just now wondering if an ADSL loop extender was on my line,and would that be why my stats indicate 1km, rather than the real distance of 2.2km? But hey, I'm off to set myself up with a 4g wifi router and an external aeriel, and to hell with that joke of a company. At least I'm not in contract.

Thanks guys,

P

Just a follow up. Rang Eir today to get my speed increased to the max the line could take and it appears that the agents cannot increase my speed as the line has been capped at 2Mb because of "Equipment constraints". Even though my line is capable of the full 8 on ADSL1, some kind soul in Eir has decided that those lines that are not being upgraded to fibre, will be left to rot on a 2Mb package until they get FTTH sometime in the next 3-7 years. They actually downgraded my prequal from 3Mb to 2Mb, and the system will not allow any agent to increase my package above that. This is ironic as I am already getting 3Mb, albeit late at night!! So my poor connection is explained by the fact that we are still on the old radio link, which was always rubbish.
    Still doesn't explain the Line Attenuation stats showing a line half the length of what it really is,and I am just now wondering if an ADSL loop extender was on my line,and would that be why my stats indicate 1km, rather than the real distance of 2.2km? But hey, I'm off to set myself up with a 4g wifi router and an external aeriel, and to hell with that joke of a company. At least I'm not in contract.

Thanks guys,

P

Just had a look at the Ireland Offline Map. You might be covered by BBNet and High Velocity Broadband for FWA. If the 4G signal isn't up to much in your area or the limits are too crappy, they may be an option.

Thanks for the reply... yeah I am on the blue line for FTTH on that map. But given past experience I would expect 2020 to be unrealistic... more like 2025 if it happens at all. Also, the digiweb site will only tell you what Eir have pre-qualified the line for. In my case it says DSL 2Mb, and no to ngb and fibre.The NGA map tells you that 500 premises in this exchange are now fibre enabled, which has to be a lie, because there were only 400 households in the entire Quin area at the census. The village has speeds of up to 70 they say now.

Anyway, it doesn't solve my current issue. We all thought that even though they weren't going to bring fibre to the outlying houses, that they would at least use the fibre for backhaul, and that we would get fairly constant and stable ADSL1 service. My wife works from home, in a web-based business, but could work with a consistent 5/6 Mb service until FTTH rolls around.

Really I was just looking for some insight into the agents saying "wholesale said there was a way for me to get connected to fibre", that involved disconnecting my existing service and then reconnecting. It was as if they were saying that as an existing customer, nothing would be done for me, but that as a new connection, they could rig me up to the fibre. On top of that, my wife asked the first agent why she couldn't just go to Vodaphone and order fibre from them,(as we are out of contract), and the agent intimated that unless we were staying with Eir, the line would not be upgraded, and the competitors would never be able to offer fibre. Then suddenly the last guy tells me no way, no how, could I get connected to the fibre, and that wholesale had put a note on my account to that effect. I have voice recordings of all these calls- for verification purposes ;)

The other thing I was looking for help on was the line Attenuation stat... I get what you are saying about being closer to another cabinet nearer Ennis, but it's absolutely not the case. There is no cabinet in any direction, closer to me than the exchange, and line of sight to the exchange is 1.9km. Four seperate Tech Support agents have told me categorically that they cannot explain the Attenuation, but that I am 100% a direct feed to the exchange in Quin. Our lines were all burnt out by a lightning strike a year ago, and were replaced, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Few points:
    They aint lying - Paths Served 831 Pre qualification % 90.42
    May only be 400 households, but there's more than one line per household. Also the townland and the exchange coverage area dont always match up.
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 2 MB
    NGB Enabled: No
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 50 MB

It does seem they havent NGN'd the old ATM path. Turning into a bit of a trend. Its an easy upgrade, move 1-2 cables and then reconfigure a little bit of their MPLS. But it really doesnt make them any money short term so I suppose they aren't rushing.

Attenuation wise there are a few causes: A partial break, modem inaccuracy, poor far end estimation due to the line being unloaded. The other figures match up. If their support guys measure your line capacitance they can get a better read or see the fault, but it really doesn't matter.

The point is you'd get 10Mb + if they were to "Next Gen" the exchange. The 2+ racks are present. Finding out if/when that will happen isn't exactly easy though. Maybe try https://twitter.com/openeir but theyll only have a real answer if the plans area near term and thus "public".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Do exchanges that previously had no DSL at all get ADSL when eFibre is launched in the exchange?

Do exchanges that previously had no DSL at all get ADSL when eFibre is launched in the exchange?

I don't know. But I sure hope so. I'm SOOL for eFibre, but if our exchange (which has nothing right now) gets ADSL2+ when she gets eVDSLed in a few months, then I might get 10-12Mbps. Better than my 3Mbps. :rolleyes:

There are a few examples of that not being the case. Dont have a list of codes but if you poke hard enough you'd find em.

Of 1000 odd exchanges about 900 were DSL enabled. The small differential are mostly RSUs in very small villages, expensive to fit a whole extra DSLAM for 30 or 40 lines that will be superseded by 2020. For whatever reason OpenEir dont seem to use Huaweis combi cards to operate ADSL and VDSL from the same service unit.

Hiya

Thanks for weighing in on this with the info. I'm not going to dispute the paths covered, cos of course there's always multiple lines etc. Also I was referring to the info which pops up on the openeir NGA map which says that 500 "premises" in this exchange can now access up to 70Mb fibre broadband. I'm quite sure they will claim that 2Mb ADSL1 qualifies as accessing "up to 70Mb fibre broadband"!! Just the same as "no speed is guaranteed" lol.

On the Attenuation matter, I was just wondering was there another explanation cos it had me stumped. Their tech guys get exactly the same readings as I do, and the only fault they could find on the line was a handheld giving an earth fault reading which disappeared when I unplugged it. Which is why the second last tech guy said rather than getting fibre he would bang me up to the max profile. Turns out he was putting me on NGB. Turns out when i rang back to get it applied, that he should not have as there is no 2+ rack in the exchange. There was only ADSL1 and then they just installed the fibre.
    The point is you'd get 10Mb + if they were to "Next Gen" the exchange. The 2+ racks are present. Finding out if/when that will happen isn't exactly easy though.

Have I been fed porkie-pies again by Eir? Are there +2 racks there for sure?

Thanks again for looking at this,

P

• Advertisement

There are 2+ racks, the attains being up at 11 corroborate that.

The modern bitstream products aren't available though, so 1Mb and 3Mb Legacy will work and any 7Mb, 8Mb, 12Mb or 24Mb product orders will just fail.

Sales people dont tend to be technically minded so they don't generally understand how what they're selling cant possibly be accepted but thats life.

Advertisement