Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

4668200400.png

Just looking the stats on the Sky hub doesn't seem to give a lot of details but here they are anyway.

Downstream: 25589kbps
    Upstream: 7167kbps

Line Attenuation: 23.2db Down and 0.0dB Up

Noise Margin: 9.9dB Down and 6.6dB Up

Now the part that looks weird to me is the Attenuation on the upstream is saying 0.0dB i'm assuming this isn't normal? Anyone with any knowledge of VDSL have any idea what's going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

jay93 wrote:
    Now the part that looks weird to me is the Attenuation on the upstream is saying 0.0dB i'm assuming this isn't normal? Anyone with any knowledge of VDSL have any idea what's going on there.

Mine is opposite reports a much higher upload attenuation when not using my standard Vodafone supplied router. I was told its just a glitch in the routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jay93 wrote: »
    Downstream: 25589kbps
    Upstream: 7167kbps

Line Attenuation: 23.2db Down and 0.0dB Up

Noise Margin: 9.9dB Down and 6.6dB Up

IIRC, modem measures dAtten and DSLAM measures uAtten, so its probably just that the modem is handling meta data from the exchange during sync brokering.

It really doesn't matter what the uAtten is, it varies significantly as modems have a "back off" algorithm that changes US power. What is note worthy is that the uSNR is a bit on the low side. If you experience stuttering/disconnects you should investigate that.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Mine is opposite reports a much higher upload attenuation when not using my standard Vodafone supplied router. I was told its just a glitch in the routers.

Thanks for that I won't worry too much about it so :)

ED E wrote: »
    IIRC, modem measures dAtten and DSLAM measures uAtten, so its probably just that the modem is handling meta data from the exchange during sync brokering.

It really doesn't matter what the uAtten is, it varies significantly as modems have a "back off" algorithm that changes US power. What is note worthy is that the uSNR is a bit on the low side. If you experience stuttering/disconnects you should investigate that.

Thanks ED E that explains it a lot :)

Just wondering what the uSNR should be aimed for? It does seem a little low alright. So far the connection seems to be stable enough. When I was on ADSL2+ my downstream SNR was always bad around 6 to 6.5 max I'm not sure if that has any relevance to this situation as its VDSL. Connection was always stable though even on ADSL2+ no drops in sync.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

byte wrote: »
    Checked today, and the firewall is a Zyxel ZyWALL USG20W

Got emailed from Eircom, install happening tomorrow week, so quick enough.
    So our install is now supposed to happen this day week...

So much for my mention of a quick install on 27 July! Won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I live in a rural area within the next six weeks my area will have fibre. I'm connected to the exchange.

I'm roughly 450 metres from the exchange and i receive 6.5 megabytes down 312 kb up( ASDL1) My ping is around 30

Does anyone know if my ping will reduce or stay the same when i have exchange fibre? I play games online and ping i heard is more important for gaming than download or upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I live in a rural area within the next six weeks my area will have fibre. I'm connected to the exchange.

I'm roughly 450 metres from the exchange and i receive 6.5 megabytes down 312 kb up( ASDL1) My ping is around 30

Does anyone know if my ping will reduce or stay the same when i have exchange fibre? I play games online and ping i heard is more important for gaming than download or upload.

It will get much better, the ping is very low on efibre, below are the pings from my router to various places
    [admin@Milhouse] > ping www.inex.ie  
      SEQ HOST                                     SIZE TTL TIME  STATUS             
        0 193.242.111.147                            56  59 11ms 
        1 193.242.111.147                            56  59 10ms 
        2 193.242.111.147                            56  59 10ms 
        3 193.242.111.147                            56  59 10ms 
        4 193.242.111.147                            56  59 10ms 
        5 193.242.111.147                            56  59 10ms 
        6 193.242.111.147                            56  59 10ms 
        sent=7 received=7 packet-loss=0% min-rtt=10ms avg-rtt=10ms max-rtt=1

[admin@Milhouse] > ping www.google.ie
        0 74.125.71.94                               56  47 26ms 
        1 74.125.71.94                               56  47 26ms 
        2 74.125.71.94                               56  47 26ms 
        3 74.125.71.94                               56  47 26ms 
        4 74.125.71.94                               56  47 25ms 
        sent=5 received=5 packet-loss=0% min-rtt=25ms avg-rtt=25ms max-rtt=2

[admin@Milhouse] > ping www.boards.ie
        0 89.234.66.105                              56  59 9ms  
        1 89.234.66.105                              56  59 9ms  
        2 89.234.66.105                              56  59 8ms  
        3 89.234.66.105                              56  59 9ms  
        4 89.234.66.105                              56  59 8ms  
        5 89.234.66.105                              56  59 9ms  
        sent=6 received=6 packet-loss=0% min-rtt=8ms avg-rtt=8ms max-rtt=9ms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It'll probably go down a small bit, e-access CoS seems to be better than the previous setup. 30 ms is pretty good though!

Yes.

The change from ATM to short range PTM then IP means that latency drops across the board. Your current performance is ok but I'd expect to drop to below 20ms if theres a reasonably close test server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    358997.png

Not really giving a good estimate of what you might get. I get a solid 30Mb down (line states 37Mb but current profile locked to 30 down) but that says 1Mb down

My line is giving the same reading with fibre to go live this week. I'm about 3km from a cabinet. Realistically, can I expect any increase in speeds when fibre goes live?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Pious14 wrote: »
    My line is giving the same reading with fibre to go live this week. I'm about 3km from a cabinet. Realistically, can I expect any increase in speeds when fibre goes live?

At 3km, no. :(

I'd be going with wireless if that was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

i also live 450m away from my exchange and in july we switched to efibre. My ping before hand was around 30 and my download was 6.5. Now with efibre i have a 10ms ping on wired connection and 20 on wireless, i also have a 45 down and a 15 up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BandMember

It looks like the map has been updated - https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

i also live 450m away from my exchange and in july we switched to efibre. My ping before hand was around 30 and my download was 6.5. Now with efibre i have a 10ms ping on wired connection and 20 on wireless, i also have a 45 down and a 15 up :)

Why only 45 down? I thought 450 metres meant i will get least 60 down? Are exchange lines not using vectoring?

10ms ping take that!

Are exchange lines not using vectoring?

For now, for the most part, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Why only 45 down? I thought 450 metres meant i will get least 60 down? Are exchange lines not using vectoring?

10ms ping take that!

Most exchanges have a max of 70mbit and 1500m distance, no vectoring yet although I'm told there are a few that are, possibly for testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Also DF here @ around 850 - 950 meters im getting 55 down and 15 up. There are no vectoring cabs between me and the exchange though.( As that can impact DF users too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

So I have 4 cabinets surrounding me in Carrigaline, I have 3 cabinets within 300m(CGI_002, 005, 013) and one cabinet 500m away from me. But my speeds (30/10) indicate that the cabinet I am connected to is roughly 992-1167m away from me when the exchange itself is only roughly 400m away from me... I just find it irritating that its like this because as far as I know all of these cabinets have vectoring on them too so it just makes no sense as to why im connected to a cabinet so far away. I know all of this wont matter by Q1 2016 as SIRO has confirmed that I will be FTTH enabled by then. I know it definitely looks as if I am ranting and I kinda am, but can anyone explain the reasoning behind it?

A. Fault

B. Legacy cable runs(not super uncommon). Your lines goes where it went, not to the closest DSLAM.

• Advertisement

A. Fault

B. Legacy cable runs(not super uncommon). Your lines goes where it went, not to the closest DSLAM.

Would there be any way to check that it could be a fault? The max speeds I can get are up to 40mb/s but that causes my SNR to go below 9 both up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You can be lucky or unlucky. My brother 100 metres from a cabinet right outside his estate is connected to one 1200 metres away and gets 25/5.

I'm a long way by road to my nearest cabinet but the cable literally must travel under my house as I have 100m/bit with astonishingly good stats.

fr0zen wrote: »
    Would there be any way to check that it could be a fault? The max speeds I can get are up to 40mb/s but that causes my SNR to go below 9 both up and down.

What are your attenuation figures?

What are your attenuation figures?

Downstream line attenuation (dB) 17.6
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 8.4

That says 1300m run.

Matches the speeds you're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

hi guys, got efibre in today. 7/1. stats are: I'm direct to exchange. Just wondering will there be any hope of an increase in the future?
    Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 7168
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 1022
    Downstream SNR (dB) 25.7
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.4
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 32.8
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 17.9
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 13.9
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 10.5
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 0
    Upstream FEC 0

Your upstream is the problem, modem is struggling to send back to the exchange. If eir allowed a 20_1 profile you'd probably manage that, but they're not going to.

Cancel and get 12_1 ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

so there'll be no improvement in the future? Not until SIRO?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Hibrasil wrote: »
    .....my exchange went live on the 8th July ....and I'm as far away today from efibre as I was last year.....eventually asked my ISP (the technical guys) to upgrade my profile to the next level (9-12 Mb) instead of present profile of up to 8 Mb. I am only 1500 metres from exchange......

Last week I saw an OpenEir engineer working on my nearest cabinet and a little while later he had a manhole open (and working on it) just around the corner from me. When I spoke to him he told me that I should be able to get e-fibre.... and when I remarked that it only worked up to 1.5 Km....he confirmed that I was connected to the cabinet (I had previously been told that I was a Direct to Exchange connection).....and that I was 1.5 Km from the cabinet.....but that the 1.5 km had now been "upped" to 2.0km and that I should get about 20 Mb download.

When I use the DigiWeb site I get the following:-

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 18 MB

LLU Enabled: No

A check on Eir's website gives me 18 Mb also.

I am on a 12/13 Mb download speed at present and 0.6 Mb upload.

Is it a good idea to switch to efibre or would I be better off upping the ante a little on my present broadband.

Thanks for responses....:)

• Advertisement

Yeah, go for it, your download may be the same but your upload should be better.

Advertisement