Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

any news on exchange RBK1_091 (Rushbrook exchange) in cobh we seem to be the last to get fiber it seems to be an exchange on its own in the estae eircom promising efiber all the time but nothing yet? even though half the estate has fiber on a separate cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

B wrote: »
    any news on exchange RBK1_091 (Rushbrook exchange) in cobh we seem to be the last to get fiber it seems to be an exchange on its own in the estae eircom promising efiber all the time but nothing yet? even though half the estate has fiber on a separate cabinet

I'm on it too (it's actually RBK1_E01). It's scheduled for 'Autumn 2015' - but it's been 'scheduled' for several dates at this stage. It's a pain in the rear alright when your neighbours can get fibre and you can't (plus the ADSL broadband has been down since yesterday!). I think it suffers from being in a large area which is fibre enabled. They recently (this month) enabled the similar exchange cabinet in the centre of Cobh so I had hoped they would do Rushbrooke then, but no joy....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The family home is getting Exchange-VDSL (DYX in Cork) on Monday, roll-out happened sooner than I expected. Can't see an improvement happening though, they're about 1.5 km away.

I need to call in and figure out where they're going to put the master socket, house hasn't had one for years, internal wiring is mostly held together with electrical tape. Might be the kick I need to sort it out. No way the technician is going to put in a cable to where they've installed all the network equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Got switched today finally to VDSL (600m direct to the exchange / line att. 14db).

The modem shows I am running ADSL 8B.

Downstream Upstream
    Actual Rate 30717 Kbps 8191 Kbps
    Attainable Rate 46590 Kbps 11842 Kbps

Speed test showing a ping of 10 with download 28mb upload 8mb.

(was getting 15mb/1mb on adsl2+ so a decent upgrade)

Full stats for what it's worth.

ATU-R Information
    Type: VDSL2
    Hardware: Annex A
    Firmware: 05-07-03-08-00-07
    Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0
    Line State: SHOWTIME
    Running Mode: 8B
    Vendor ID: b5006946 544e0000
    ATU-C Information
    Vendor ID: b5004444 434da48a [BDCM]
    Line Statistics

Downstream Upstream
    Path Mode Fast Fast
    Interleave Depth 1 1
    Actual PSD 6. 4 dB 14. 3 dB
    Near End Far End
    Trellis ON ON
    Bitswap ON ON
    SNR Margin 14 dB 13 dB
    Attenuation 21 dB 26 dB
    CRC 0 0
    FECS 0 s 6 s
    ES 0 s 0 s
    SES 0 s 0 s
    LOSS 0 s 0 s
    UAS 29 s 4147803 s
    HEC Errors 0 0
    RS Corrections 0 0
    LOS Failure 0 0
    LOF Failure 0 0
    LPR Failure 0 0
    NCD Failure 0 0
    LCD Failure 0 0
    NFEC 32 32
    RFEC 16 16
    LYSMB 16 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Got switched today finally to VDSL (600m direct to the exchange / line att. 14db).

The modem shows I am running ADSL 8B.

Downstream Upstream

Speed test showing a ping of 10 with download 28mb upload 8mb.

(was getting 15mb/1mb on adsl2+ so a decent upgrade)

Full stats for what it's worth.

ATU-R Information
    Type: VDSL2
    Hardware: Annex A
    Firmware: 05-07-03-08-00-07
    Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0
    Line State: SHOWTIME
    Running Mode: 8B
    Vendor ID: b5006946 544e0000
    ATU-C Information
    Vendor ID: b5004444 434da48a [BDCM]
    Line Statistics

Downstream Upstream
    Path Mode Fast Fast
    Interleave Depth 1 1
    Actual PSD 6. 4 dB 14. 3 dB
    Near End Far End
    Trellis ON ON
    Bitswap ON ON
    SNR Margin 14 dB 13 dB
    Attenuation 21 dB 26 dB
    CRC 0 0
    FECS 0 s 6 s
    ES 0 s 0 s
    SES 0 s 0 s
    LOSS 0 s 0 s
    UAS 29 s 4147803 s
    HEC Errors 0 0
    RS Corrections 0 0
    LOS Failure 0 0
    LOF Failure 0 0
    LPR Failure 0 0
    NCD Failure 0 0
    LCD Failure 0 0
    NFEC 32 32
    RFEC 16 16
    LYSMB 16 16

IS your attenuation not one of these ? Attenuation 21 dB 26 dB Actual PSD 14 db ? is Power spectrum density . Just saying as your 600 Meters would be moot on 21 DB or 26 DB ? I would expect sync at 38 for around 14 DB down attn. Even at 14 DB you would be roughly at 1,000 meters , Could be due to some line loss or crosstalk , or any number of factors .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

Something must be wrong if he was getting 15mb with 14db. I'm getting 17mb at 17db but I'm about 1200m from the exchange.

dbit wrote: »
    IS your attenuation not one of these ? Attenuation 21 dB 26 dB Actual PSD 14 db ? is Power spectrum density . Just saying as your 600 Meters would be moot on 21 DB or 26 DB ? I would expect sync at 38 for around 14 DB down attn. Even at 14 DB you would be roughly at 1,000 meters , Could be due to some line loss or crosstalk , or any number of factors .

Previously all line check estimates would say I should get 20mb on ADSL2+ but it never came near in reality.

As a previous poster noted, they are using VDSL profile 8B rather than 17a on the direct fed lines which gives a max of 50mb. Why are eircom still mentioning 70mb for the direct fed lines on their publications ?

Previously all line check estimates would say I should get 20mb on ADSL2+ but it never came near in reality.

As a previous poster noted, they are using VDSL profile 8B rather than 17a on the direct fed lines which gives a max of 50mb. Why are eircom still mentioning 70mb for the direct fed lines on their publications ?

Ye im on 12 DB at new address expecting 40/10 . Still waiting for the third attempt at the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

E-fibre due to go live in my village next week, won't do me any good being 1900m from the exchange.. But on the plus side ADSL2 was also installed recently, I've been connected to this now for a couple of days I'm on a 12MB profile and getting 10.5MB consistently on speedtest.net previously got 6MB on ADSL..

So just wondering if I'm getting the best my line can handle??

Here are my stats..

Speed - 12288 / 670
    Attenuation - 29.7 / 15.5 [Downstream Attenuation on ADSL was 26]
    Noise Margin - 9.8 / 19.3

Any feedback much appreciated..

Do you really have to ask this question ? EIRCOM TELLS LIES. as do Voda and any other carrier out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Barry5714 wrote: »
    E-fibre due to go live in my village next week, won't do me any good being 1900m from the exchange.. But on the plus side ADSL2 was also installed recently, I've been connected to this now for a couple of days I'm on a 12MB profile and getting 10.5MB consistently on speedtest.net previously got 6MB on ADSL..

So just wondering if I'm getting the best my line can handle??

Here are my stats..

Speed - 12288 / 670
    Attenuation - 29.7 / 15.5 [Downstream Attenuation on ADSL was 26]
    Noise Margin - 9.8 / 19.3

Any feedback much appreciated..

15Mb would be risky on that line, snr would likely be just above 6dB. Assuming your modem is at the master socket with correct internal wiring that's maxxed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

ED E wrote: »
    15Mb would be risky on that line, snr would likely be just above 6dB. Assuming your modem is at the master socket with correct internal wiring that's maxxed out.

My snr is 6 and has been for at least a year with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Thanks ED I'll probably stick with what i have so, could be drawing trouble on myself if i go chasing faster speeds...

guil wrote: »
    My snr is 6 and has been for at least a year with no problems.

As before, it can work but is generally not advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wait, so people connected direct to the exchange are restricted to 50mb max as opposed to 70mb if connected to the cab?

If so, what will be the case when vectoring is enabled? Will the exchange go up to 70mb or 100mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

That poster must be in a test area. 17a is being used for DF lines and cabs.
    Yes, there are definitely evdsl customers with 70 Mb profiles

I only get connected yesterday and I was on profile 8B. Modem was getting 28mb but showing attainable of 46mb I just phoned Vodafone and asked if they could bump me up to the 40mb profile. The vodafone person immediately did so and I am now getting 38 down and 9 up. What is interesting though is the modem is showing they moved me on to the 17a profile. So anyone in the same boat, it is worth a call to your ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Wait, so people connected direct to the exchange are restricted to 50mb max as opposed to 70mb if connected to the cab?

If so, what will be the case when vectoring is enabled? Will the exchange go up to 70mb or 100mb?

If they're connected to a cab, they can get up to 100Mbps, as all the cabs are vectored (AFAIK).

It's only the eVDSL that is mostly up to 70Mbps - unvectored. It's this recent mention of an 8b profile that seems to be providing lower speeds - though the question that needs to be answered is - does this profile give a greater range?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Did any body able to install third party router with eircom vdsl f2000 modem
    I'd like to know this too, as I finally rang Eircom to upgrade work's 6mbit ADSL to eFibre.

I may have mentioned this earlier inthread, but work uses a VPN to link two shops to POS software, with DSL modems bridged to ZyXEL Firewalls using IPsec.

Does anyone know if the F2000 has options for IPsec? Could maybe rule out the added firewall?

byte wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too, as I finally rang Eircom to upgrade work's 6mbit ADSL to eFibre.

I may have mentioned this earlier inthread, but work uses a VPN to link two shops to POS software, with DSL modems bridged to ZyXEL Firewalls using IPsec.

Does anyone know if the F2000 has options for IPsec? Could maybe rule out the added firewall?
    Don't use ipsec myself but do have a F2000

356258.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I have my f2000 bridged to a Mikrotik router, no problems, survives reboots

byte

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know!

I was pushing to get eFibre with my boss because 6meg/0.5meg was mediocre for most stuff, plus it would benefit the remote shop who would rely on our speeds.

I'm not fully sure how it all works, but I'd imagine the ZyXEL firewall would be redundant if the F2000 has IPsec (which it does seem to have, thanks to jd's grab) and sure routers have their own firewalls?

I'd be glad to be rid of the ZyXEL firewall if possible from the chain, as it's caused its fair share of issues over the past few years (well, between it and the router it's bridged with).

I guess you need to talk to your IT guys, Byte, and they can talk to eircom's business support. I think the F2000 supports adsl too, so maybe ask your IT people to ask eircom for a f2000 to test things out.

jd wrote: »
    I guess you need to talk to your IT guys, Byte, and they can talk to eircom's business support. I think the F2000 supports adsl too, so maybe ask your IT people to ask eircom for a f2000 to test things out.

Does indeed with a quick config change to PPPoE.

byte

Well, eFibre is ordered now, so I guess we'll see what happens! :D

If the F2000 won't work directly with the IPsec VPN, then sure bridging it with the existing firewall shouldn't be of major concern.

The IT guys responsible for the POS software don't believe it will be a major concern. I'm going to try organise have one of their guys on site on the day the VDSL is installed.

There's another concern, in that the static IP won't be crossed over to the eFibre service till after end of day.

There's another concern, in that the static IP won't be crossed over to the eFibre service till after end of day.
    You have a static on your existing eircom adsl? And you are migrating to VDSL on same line?

Ok the f2000 will be set up initially using IPoE. When the installation is marked complete by the tech, a request will be sent back into eircom's systems to change the CPE to use PPPoE. CPE should reboot and come back online with the static. (Static will have been moved from adsl account to the nga account)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Well, eFibre is ordered now, so I guess we'll see what happens! :D

If the F2000 won't work directly with the IPsec VPN, then sure bridging it with the existing firewall shouldn't be of major concern.

The IT guys responsible for the POS software don't believe it will be a major concern. I'm going to try organise have one of their guys on site on the day the VDSL is installed.

The next thing is, what speed will the existing firewall cope with. I've seen 100mbit VDSL connections show to 20mbit by the time they pass through the aging firewall.

byte

You have a static on your existing eircom adsl? And you are migrating to VDSL on same line?

Ok the f2000 will be set up initially using IPoE. When the installation is marked complete by the tech, a request will be sent back into eircom's systems to change the CPE to use PPPoE. CPE should reboot and come back online with the static. (Static will have been moved from adsl account to the nga account)

Yes to both the first questions. Existing ADSL line will change to VDSL.

Thanks for the info on how it works. I was told it would be after End-of-Day before the static IP would be in effect.

I'm actually wondering if the IT guy should not be onsite til the day after and the Static IP is in place. He's not going to be successful setting up the VPN again if the static IP isn't active? That, and paramaters changing from IPoE to PPPoE.

I would like if the F2000 could be able to render the ZyXEL firewall obsolete as it hasn't been without its problems.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I will expect a call from Eircom in the next few days with an install date and I'll keep ye posted.

Yes to both the first questions. Existing ADSL line will change to VDSL.

Thanks for the info on how it works. I was told it would be after End-of-Day before the static IP would be in effect.

I'm actually wondering if the IT guy should not be onsite til the day after and the Static IP is in place. He's not going to be successful setting up the VPN again if the static IP isn't active? That, and paramaters changing from IPoE to PPPoE.

I would like if the F2000 could be able to render the ZyXEL firewall obsolete as it hasn't been without its problems.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I will expect a call from Eircom in the next few days with an install date and I'll keep ye posted.

PPPoE should come on within minutes of the modem coming online and registering with the pinhole management server. Statics take a while to move from NGB to NGA, the deployment I transitioned took ~48hrs with a provisional address in the intervening time.

You'll still be able to configure and test the VPN, just not using the normal IP until it migrates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Using Eircom's line checker the response I get when I input my phone number is the usual you are not in an efibre area but Eircom are rolling out etc etc.
    However on the same "checker" when I input my address instead of my phone number - I get "Great News your Home is efibre enabled".

On a repeat performance this morning ....inputting Phone number and then address ..I get "You are not in an efibre area ...but Eircom are rolling out etc etc".

My home address was efibre enabled but now it appears it is not.

Are Eircom rolling Back or rolling out...any idea what is going on!

By the way...also....on checking line speed on Vodafone line checker....."We are unable to check your line speed...please call us on....."

Advertisement