Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

I have used this to calculate expect distance and line speed (http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php) which ties in more or less with what Eircom stated I would get.

Gutted can only get 15megs up from 10, feel sorry for those still getting single figures. My attentuation indicates me about 1.5k but exchange 600m away so clearly going around the block!

Anyway, can anyone share an Eircom line checker link that shows expected speed? I want to check houses or businesses nearby which may be using a shorter/different path to the exchange.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

legrand wrote: »

Anyway, can anyone share an Eircom line checker link that shows expected speed? I want to check houses or businesses nearby which may be using a shorter/different path to the exchange.

thanks

If you go to buy now here
    https://www.eircom.net/broadband/
    you can put any number in then click the discover maximum speed drop down to see the speed expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's interesting, when I ran the script and got a date of the 29th it was saying a speed of 18 down and 5 up. I just checked on the link above using my address and it says the max I can get is 25 down. I'll have to check tomorrow on the laptop but hopefully it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

guil wrote: »
    That's interesting, when I ran the script and got a date of the 29th it was saying a speed of 18 down and 5 up. I just checked on the link above using my address and it says the max I can get is 25 down. I'll have to check tomorrow on the laptop but hopefully it's right.

What's that script again I was looking for that.

A script may not be the correct term but you need to install a cURL executable, copy it to the C: drive and then in chrome go to the eircom page that checks your phone line. Right click the box you put the number in and click inspect element. Click network and then preserve log. Think XHR is somewhere around there as well and you click that. Put in the phone number and click check.

You will see a result on the right starting with true:
    Right click that and click copy as cURL, run command prompt and type
    C:\curl right click and paste and hit enter.

There's some info here
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2710748/run-curl-commands-from-windows-console

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

I think Sky aren't having much success with their system of install, they insist that their own installers do the in-house (Sierra) and that KN activate the line by doing the cab work for Eircom. This means the line never gets tested as this can only be done from the cab with the voltage (dial tone) removed. It's a stupid system that's causing problems for the customer that everyone ends up blaming everyone else, it should be Eircom or KN doing the lot and testing as they go.

Yep, when I first got them it took them about a month to finally send someone out.
    I believe it was an eircom engineer though. All he did was install a new NTU and check it worked from the exchange. 20 minutes later, boom, done.

Then I moved in here July.
    I assumed since the fibre style NTU was already here and the estate agent told me it's 100mbit etc. etc. that it'd be simple. Silly me.

If I may lend someone's ear off them, they say my phone line is active, I can make calls, but I can't receive them.
    An ericom man tells me my number is not in service when I call from my mobile, he reads my number when I dial whatever number that is to have them do that, and tells me my provider is sky when I dial that number.
    It's strange. And it's annoying, because I don't even use the phone, but the internet relies on it working properly.

Just checked on the pc and it still says 18/5. Wonder why eircoms speed checker said I can get up to 25mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If I may lend someone's ear off them, they say my phone line is active, I can make calls, but I can't receive them.
    An ericom man tells me my number is not in service when I call from my mobile, he reads my number when I dial whatever number that is to have them do that, and tells me my provider is sky when I dial that number.
    It's strange. And it's annoying, because I don't even use the phone, but the internet relies on it working properly.

Is this dialling 199000 and 1777?

Its weird that you can make them but not receive, that means the call routes havent been set up. Sky should escalate that. If the port was turned off by eircom you'd just get a perm engaged tone.

ED E wrote: »
    Is this dialling 199000 and 1777?

Its weird that you can make them but not receive, that means the call routes havent been set up. Sky should escalate that. If the port was turned off by eircom you'd just get a perm engaged tone.

Yeah the first is the one where the guy calls out your number (he didn't call out the first 0 in the area code, but I'm pretty confident that's normal.
    I never heard of 1777, but called it just now and the guy said it was successful and there was no charge.

Sky want me to buy a corded phone to test the line for them, I sent a reply (i'm becoming frustrated, so it was overly dramatic) that I wouldn't buy a phone for them to save the cost of an engineer visit, and asked if the lack of service was in breach of my contract yet.

If you can dial 1777 then the handset and line work. Thats the test an eircom engineer would use. Sending one probably wont help.

They need to send this off to somebody more senior within sky.

• Advertisement

If you can dial 1777 then the handset and line work. Thats the test an eircom engineer would use. Sending one probably wont help.

They need to send this off to somebody more senior within sky.

I called their tech support today, they got me to buy a phone in argos that they will credit back to me.
    After doing that, I called again, no testing was done. Guy checked with supervisor and came back saying there's a back office issue and the phone line issue will probably be sorted out when the internet is activated.

Is this comreg complaint stuff or should i talk to eircom wholesale or something first?

Sorry I'm dragging this off-topic.

COMREG will give em 10 days by which time you'll likely be active.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Intigo

I don't know if this has being posted before but eVDSL, as Eircom call it, is using VDSL2 profile 8B. Wiki says the bandwitdh is 8.832Mhz and the max. download speed is 50Mbit/s.

Intigo wrote: »
    I don't know if this has being posted before but eVDSL, as Eircom call it, is using VDSL2 profile 8B. Wiki says the bandwitdh is 8.832Mhz and the max. download speed is 50Mbit/s.

Are you sure? Someone said here recently that the max on evdsl is 70mb

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Intigo

guil wrote: »
    Are you sure? Someone said here recently that the max on evdsl is 70mb

I'm sure my modem is using profile 8b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Intigo wrote: »
    I'm sure my modem is using profile 8b.

70mbit for now until they enable vectoring

70mbit for now until they enable vectoring

I'm confused, how is 70mbit possible over profile 8b?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm confused, how is 70mbit possible over profile 8b?

No idea, is the wiki even correct? 70mbit is the max profile being obtained by customers until vectoring is enabled. I have it from someone in Eircom that it will be vectored as normal the same as the cabs.

It seems to be correct. vdsl to the cab uses profile 17a. Now we have a evdsl customer whos modem is reporting that it's using profile 8b witch would limit it to 50mbit.
    I think an 8b profile would be used to increase range which would make sense for evdsl.

That poster must be in a test area. 17a is being used for DF lines and cabs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Sitting here in the kama sutra position tantric Eircom efiber install incoming ........
    (Sit around all day and no one comes) - hopefully not.

Will have a full report on the macroom profile if it gets installed today . Been through the mill with them , after house move final bill paid , new 72 euro imagination land bill arrives where they tell me yes Sir we bill you now ahead of time lol . So hard to keep my cool with Eircom, Comreg contacted line blocked from move to vodafone over all the confusion , lack of call logging , loss of knowledge to whats actually going on . Weeee around the Eircom magic roundabout of never ending call line queue passing to other people . "Thats not my job or department wonderland."

Contacted cusomter care and low and behold they can edit my profile to include my email and phone number - where as the person previous cancels my order due to them not moving my details across and the install being delayed another 2-3 weeks .

If its a no show today its comreg voda and tooth extraction with no anisthetic attidue for Ercom from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Does anybody know if the Kilnaleck exchange has gone live yet? It was due to go live this month.

gazzer wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the Kilnaleck exchange has gone live yet? It was due to go live this month.

The map says 29/07.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

gazzer wrote: »

I'm guessing you were looking at the efibre map where it just says going live July?

This is the map you should be looking at, gives the actual date it goes live:

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I'm guessing you were looking at the efibre map where it just says going live July?

Ah perfect. Thanks. Its due to go leave this day week. I still dont think I will get fibre broadband as I am just over 2km from the exchange but Im hoping I will get some type of speed increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

dbit wrote: »
    Sitting here in the kama sutra position tantric Eircom efiber install incoming ........

I know what your problem is ... you're all out of lotion!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I wouldn't be using that map at the moment to be honest, it hasn't been updated in a while and a lot of the exchanges that we due to go live in June and July are still in the "in progress" stage because a lot of completion dates have been missed along with the map being outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

BandMember wrote: »
    I wouldn't be using that map at the moment to be honest, it hasn't been updated in a while and a lot of the exchanges that we due to go live in June and July are still in the "in progress" stage because a lot of completion dates have been missed along with the map being outdated.

The best source of info for where has been done is here. They have weekly updates on what cabs/exchanges have gone live.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    The best source of info for where has been done is here. They have weekly updates on what cabs/exchanges have gone live.

Did any body able to install third party router with eircom vdsl f2000 modem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That poster must be in a test area. 17a is being used for DF lines and cabs.

This from another thread
    Techspert wrote: »
    Eircom are conducting limited trials in some rural locations to extend fibre cover out to 4km.

What speed could be expected at 4km?
    Maybe some hope for us at 4km from the exchange or if a local exchange was upgraded with fibre backhaul would congestion free adsl2 be a better option?

Also from eircom wholesale's technical handbook (Wholesale NGA National Deployment)
    The table below gives an overview of the present VDSL2 Implementation and implementations that are planned to be introduced in 2013/2014 as enhancements to FTTC VDSL2.

Profile 8b B8-4 (Annex B G.993.2)
    Retransmission (G.998.4)
    X Vectoring (G.993.5)
    SRA (G.993.2)
    X AELEM (G.992.3)

2. The modem shall support VDSL2 Profile 17a B8-11 as defined in Annex B of G.993.2. Support for profile 8b B8-4 from G.993.2 is also recommended

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=1166

although in the proposed v7 of the Technical Handbook (Wholesale NGA National Deployment), Profile 8b has been crossed out
    The table below gives an overview of the present VDSL2 Implementation and implementations that are planned in the future.

Profile 8b B8-4 (Annex B G.993.2)
    Retransmission (G.998.4)
    Vectoring (G.993.5)
    SRA (G.993.2)
    AELEM (G.992.3)

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2182

Advertisement