Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Hibrasil wrote: »
    On a repeat performance this morning ....inputting Phone number and then address ..I get "You are not in an efibre area ...but Eircom are rolling out etc etc".

My home address was efibre enabled but now it appears it is not.

Are Eircom rolling Back or rolling out...any idea what is going on!

By the way...also....on checking line speed on Vodafone line checker....."We are unable to check your line speed...please call us on....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch9X4HtTXIE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got a second exchange vdsl line installed today at work, again it's being limited to 40 x 10 with attainables of 65 x 32.

There has to be by now quite a few exchange launched lines from my exchange installed so interference doesn't seem to be killing the snr rates.

Those figures are still great and attainables are great. So even pre exchange vectoring the lines sure are being set super conservatively.

I'd be happy to get the two lines upto 50 x 20. Seemingly though no other profiles for now are available other than 40 x 10.

Just a side note on exchange vdsl. The pings are the best I've ever seen other than on FTTH. Your talking 5-6 ms to Irish servers which is quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Praetorian wrote: »
    I got a second exchange vdsl line installed today at work, again it's being limited to 40 x 10 with attainables of 65 x 32.

There has to be by now quite a few exchange launched lines from my exchange installed so interference doesn't seem to be killing the snr rates.

Those figures are still great and attainables are great. So even pre exchange vectoring the lines sure are being set super conservatively.

I'd be happy to get the two lines upto 50 x 20. Seemingly though no other profiles for now are available other than 40 x 10.

Just a side note on exchange vdsl. The pings are the best I've ever seen other than on FTTH. Your talking 5-6 ms to Irish servers which is quite impressive.

You're on a fixed profile which appears to be giving you the better ping times. I've noticed that that when I was on a fixed profile vs. an auto/rate adaptive profile the ping times were between 6-8ms. When I was put on an a rate adaptive profile they went to 25-35ms. What is the reason for his does anyone know? Also, the INP increased on a fixed profile from 2 symbols on a rate adaptive to 29/30 on a fixed profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're on a fixed profile which appears to be giving you the better ping times. I've noticed that that when I was on a fixed profile vs. an auto/rate adaptive profile the ping times were between 6-8ms. When I was put on an a rate adaptive profile they went to 25-35ms. What is the reason for his does anyone know? Also, the INP increased on a fixed profile from 2 symbols on a rate adaptive to 29/30 on a fixed profile?

Its INP, it causes a delay to be able to compute out failures due to a burst of errors as I understand it. 2 clocks is nothing, 30 seems to manifest itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

ED E wrote: »
    Its INP, it causes a delay to be able to compute out failures due to a burst of errors as I understand it. 2 clocks is nothing, 30 seems to manifest itself.

Is it different to vectoring? So, when I was getting ping times with lower speed it was down to the errors being checked more often i.e. 30 symbols with lower ping times and lower download/upload speed vs. 2 symbols with higher down/upload speeds and higher ping times?

• Advertisement

FR: Safe syncs, lesser need for INP, low latency
    RA: Aggressive syncs, more need for INP, higher latency

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The next thing is, what speed will the existing firewall cope with. I've seen 100mbit VDSL connections show to 20mbit by the time they pass through the aging firewall.
    Checked today, and the firewall is a Zyxel ZyWALL USG20W

Got emailed from Eircom, install happening tomorrow week, so quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Today is Christmas Eve for everyone getting fibre enabled tomorrow July 29th. Including myself :D

Hopefully won't take too long after tomorrow to get it up and running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Today is Christmas Eve for everyone getting fibre enabled tomorrow July 29th. Including myself :D

Hopefully won't take too long after tomorrow to get it up and running :)

Not wishing to pour cold water etc........my exchange went live on the 8th July ....and I'm as far away today from efibre as I was last year.....eventually asked my ISP (the technical guys) to upgrade my profile to the next level (9-12 Mb) instead of present profile of up to 8 Mb. I am only 1500 metres from exchange.

I wish you better luck

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Not wishing to pour cold water etc........my exchange went live on the 8th July ....and I'm as far away today from efibre as I was last year.....eventually asked my ISP (the technical guys) to upgrade my profile to the next level (9-12 Mb) instead of present profile of up to 8 Mb. I am only 1500 metres from exchange.

I wish you better luck

I'm already on 17mb. Have already verified with my ISP that I'll receive 40mb once it gets connected. So I'm happy enough with that. A bit closer than you tho, 1500m is pushing it a bit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheChizler wrote: »
    The family home is getting Exchange-VDSL (DYX in Cork) on Monday, roll-out happened sooner than I expected. Can't see an improvement happening though, they're about 1.5 km away.

As predicted it's no improvement in download, upload is slightly faster, just over a megabit. DL is down from 15 to 12 Mb/s. Latency is a lot better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TheChizler wrote: »
    As predicted it's no improvement in download, upload is slightly faster, just over a megabit. DL is down from 15 to 12 Mb/s. Latency is a lot better though.

Did Eircom inform them that their download speed would be slower before they switched?

Unless you really need the low latency I can't see how a .25 mbit increase in upload is worth losing 3 mbit in download.

Its a 33% increase to a 20% loss with better latency, not a terrible deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

tuxy wrote: »
    Did Eircom inform them that their download speed would be slower before they switched?

Unless you really need the low latency I can't see how a .25 mbit increase in upload is worth losing 3 mbit in download.
    Not as far as I'm aware, but there was a big customer push for it so I wouldn't go complaining myself... The wiring in the house is dire though so I might be able to have a look at it, pity though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭guil

What does the Engineer have to call for after an order for evdsl? My line was only installed January 14 with no previous line there before.

Would the faceplate that's there be compatible or are they wired differently?

ok mines in and on 40/10 @ 850 meters :-
    Type VDSL
    Status Up
    Uptime 0 days 0 hours 15 mins 53 secs
    Line Rate (Down / Up) 40960 Kbps / 10239 Kbps
    Noise Margin (Down / Up) 17.6 dB / 19.7 dB
    Attenuation (Down / Up) 15.4 dB / 7.7 dB
    Power (Down / Up) 13.9 dBm / 7.6 dBm

KN guy has not arrived yet but im on :-) Down attn was @ 12 on adsl+2 @ 19MB/.75MB

guil wrote: »
    What does the Engineer have to call for after an order for evdsl? My line was only installed January 14 with no previous line there before.

Would the faceplate that's there be compatible or are they wired differently?

HE hasnt even arrived here yet , but my face plate had already got two sockets on it . Mines up and running set it up myself. HE did not change the faceplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭guil

dbit wrote: »
    HE hasnt even arrived here yet , but my face plate had already got two sockets on it . Mines up and running set it up myself.

When did it go active at the exchange? Mine is due for today

The KN guy called around 8.40 am (Phone called) , said he would be up in an hour . I saw my adsl go down so i knew he had switched me , Grabbed a vdsl modem set ip up and off ya go ( Vdsl , eircom@eircom.net , Broadband1 , vlan 10) And off it went . He just called a min ago took one look smiled and headed off for an early lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

dbit,

Welcome to the 40x10 evolution :)

It's probably not what we both had hoped for, I had a 18m/bit x 2m/bit line previously at work, but it's still a hell of a lot better than what we had before. Excellent pings and a much more useful connection altogether. Hopefully Eircom will release some faster profiles soon and hopefully exchange vectoring will also happen at some stage.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    dbit,

Welcome to the 40x10 evolution :)

It's probably not what we both had hoped for, I had a 18m/bit x 2m/bit line previously at work, but it's still a hell of a lot better than what we had before. Excellent pings and a much more useful connection altogether. Hopefully Eircom will release some faster profiles soon and hopefully exchange vectoring will also happen at some stage.

Well over a year after moving to macroom , and to have moved away from 240MB the pain and the endurance has been lived through . Next up Dbit moves to FTTH threads only :-). SIRO nom nom nom nom. The KN guy was optamistic about Eircoms Ftth plans , i couldnt keep a straight face when he went off telling me about the progress.

He did mention north side of cork city is pretty much ready to go fiber to the home , so im like dammit again !

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Ok. So got fibre in today and disgusted with speeds. Download down from 17 meg to 14 meg and upload basically no increase at all. Sounds crazy to me.

Stats:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):1023
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s):12287
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):7312
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):35226
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):23.5
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):26.5
    Upstream interleave depth:0
    Downstream interleave depth:0
    Line standard:VDSL
    Upstream line attenuation (dB):53
    Downstream line attenuation (dB):22.7
    Upstream output power (dBmV):6.5
    Downstream output power (dBmV):13.5
    Downstream interleave depth:
    None
    DSL up time:
    0 days 10 hours 34 minutes 23 seconds

Can anyone comment on these figures please?

Should I be getting more than I am currently getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yeah, bit of room to go up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

He did mention north side of cork city is pretty much ready to go fiber to the home.....

Really ?
    Now you've got me excited !

Did he give you any more information? What parts of the northside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

griffzinho wrote: »
    Upstream line attenuation (dB):53

Something strange going on there. Your downstream attenuation is less than half that figure (lower is better with attenuation).
    Normally downstream attenuation is higher than upstream.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Really ?
    Now you've got me excited !

Did he give you any more information? What parts of the northside ?

Nope he just said all around the eircom building in the north side.

Zith wrote: »
    Something strange going on there. Your downstream attenuation is less than half that figure (lower is better with attenuation).
    Normally downstream attenuation is higher than upstream.

Plug everything out of the lines only run modem reboot check again if that attn is stil, that high then possible you have aline fault or noise induced by fault of some sort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Nope he just said all around the eircom building in the north side.

I'm about 1k away from the exchange so I'll hope for the best.

My exchange went live yesterday but Vodafone not getting an engineer out to me 'till next Wednesday. I guess the Eircom customers get priority :P

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    My exchange went live yesterday but Vodafone not getting an engineer out to me 'till next Wednesday. I guess the Eircom customers get priority :P

Nope they don't. You're all eircom customers. The installers aren't twiddling their thumbs waiting for your order.

Advertisement