Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jd wrote: »
    Exchange customers will be limited to 70 when it is launched, for the present.

So the information on the fibre rollout map for live exchanges is incorrect, e.g. Killaloe (KLO1_E01) 2040 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband? Why do they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

The Cush wrote: »
    So the information on the fibre rollout map for live exchanges is incorrect, e.g. Killaloe (KLO1_E01) 2040 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband? Why do they do that?
    On that map it says
    Killaloe (Clare)

2040 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband.
    which refers to both evdsl and customers served from cabinets in the exchange area.

For rack in exchange it says
    KLO1_E01

Fibre Broadband Cabinet is Live

jd wrote: »
    which refers to both evdsl and customers served from cabinets in the exchange area.

Ok, thanks for the clarification on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Their eFibre product is up to 100mbit

Their eFibre product is up to 100mbit

Thanks, yes I'm aware of that, my question related to the max up to speed available from an exchange now and the info provided on the fibre map. Answered in jd's post above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Thanks, yes I'm aware of that, my question related to the max up to speed available from an exchange now and the info provided on the fibre map. Answered in jd's post above.

Sorry, didn't mean to quote you, damn mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Yay! Looks like my broadband hell in the sticks of Ardara in Donegal is coming to an end soon. Over a month a ago our exchange was upgraded from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ giving an increased speed from 7Mb sync to my modem to 17Mb sync to my modem. I can now download at close to 15MB which is really nice but low and behold I put my number into line checker on Eircom's VDSL rollout map and it seems our exchange has become VDSL enabled also. So I muddled through this thread looking for information and found out how to check the prequals on my line. So I downloaded Desktop Parallesls on Mac and installed Linux so I could extract the information using Chrome and stick it into Terminal in Linux. Here are the results that were returned -

"{"aaa":"My Eircom Customer No:P.","ccb":"E01","date":"29/07/2015","eee":"ADA","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":true,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"50M_15M_R","maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"28M_16M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"My Phone Number :P","ere":"29/07/2015","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}"

It seems come the 29th of July, residents of our fine lil town will be able to avail of proper high speed broadband, something I thought I'd never see up this end of the woods. I am around 400 meters from our exchange with an ADSL1 attenuation of 9db and a ADSL2+ attenuation of 12db putting me somewhere between 650 and 800 meters over copper from the exchange and should hopefully get 50Mb VDSL and maybe even more when the exchange is vectored.

I know Eircom have been much maligned over the years by many but I have to say they've done an excellent job so far of rolling out high speed broadband nationwide: a gargantuan task given the widespread population makeup of our little country. Can't wait to join the 21st century of telecommunications!

If you check http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ ADA1_E01 is shown as due to go live on 5-AUG-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Taboganist007

Ah I can live with that! A few more days won't kill me. Counting down the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My local exchange had been showing as going live in May this year ..... it is now showing as 15th July ...... not that it will do me any good ...... just pointing out that those dates are rather 'fluid' it seems to me.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Carlow – Tullow;
    Cork - Blarney, Bantry, Ballincurrig, Ballyhooley, Carrigaline, Churchfield, Cobh, Dungourney, Killeagh, Kilworth;
    Donegal - Ballybofey, Clonmany, Fahan, Malin, Raphoe, Killygordon;
    Galway - Barna, Tuam,
    Kerry - Beaufort, Listowel, Kilgarvan;
    Kildare - Athy, Clane;
    Laois – Portarlington;
    Louth – Ardee, Dunleer, Togher;
    Longford – Longford;
    Meath – Bettystown, Ceanannas Mor;
    Monaghan – Clones;
    Sligo – Tubbercurry;
    Westmeath – Athlone;
    Wexford – Hollyfort;
    Wicklow - Baltinglass, Carnew, Kilbride,
    Also Cabinet - Bray (cab 018) - up to 100 Mb/s

• Advertisement

4 weeks ago - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95855562#post95855562

siliconrepublic reports on it yesterday - 110k extra urban Irish homes to get fibre broadband as telco dispute ends
    According to the Department of Communications’ National Broadband Plan Report, which provides an overview on the progress of plans to connect more than 600,000 homes and 100,000 businesses in rural areas, the dispute has been resolved.

It said ComReg has approved a request from Eircom to change the technical standards, which will allow the 110,000 additional homes and businesses in urban areas to get fibre broadband in the coming months.

According to a ComReg document on the matter, an independent consultant’s report confirmed that there was a risk to other broadband services in “some circumstances”.

After receiving assurances from Eircom that processes would be put in place during the rollout of EVDSL to monitor and fix faults if they arose, ComReg has granted Eircom’s approval to go ahead and connect the 110,000 homes and businesses to fibre broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

---

Way to go Taboganist, you broke my chrome! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KByrnes7788

Anybody any idea what kind of speeds I will get when my exchange goes live.

I'm about 2.5KM away from the exchange (as the crow flies) and about 4KM away from the exchange (in terms of lines)

Currents stats:

Speed: 4096 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 50.0 dB/ 30.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 8.5 dB/ 22.0 dB

Anybody any idea what kind of speeds I will get when my exchange goes live.

I'm about 2.5KM away from the exchange (as the crow flies) and about 4KM away from the exchange (in terms of lines)

Currents stats:

Speed: 4096 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 50.0 dB/ 30.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 8.5 dB/ 22.0 dB

I doubt you'll see any upgrade in speed at all :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KByrnes7788

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I doubt you'll see any upgrade in speed at all :/

Damn, not good.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I'm quoted at 7mb for 30DB attenuation.. You'll be lucky to see anything better than 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

I am checking this for my friend, he is due to get efibre on the 24th of this month and he is 500m away from his exchange ( I did calculate the distance using his line attenuation) what speeds could he be expecting (it will only be up to 70mbps due to it being exchanged based vdsl

I am checking this for my friend, he is due to get efibre on the 24th of this month and he is 500m away from his exchange ( I did calculate the distance using his line attenuation) what speeds could he be expecting (it will only be up to 70mbps due to it being exchanged based vdsl

Should expect 60mb going by this:

dcu8rZ3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

My cabinet is due to upgraded 4 of Aug am I right in assuming that as I am 7km away from it that i won't get any speed increase at all ? Currently only getting at best 0.9 :-( any improvement would make a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hatchman wrote: »
    My cabinet is due to upgraded 4 of Aug am I right in assuming that as I am 7km away from it that i won't get any speed increase at all ? Currently only getting at best 0.9 :-( any improvement would make a big difference

7KM, you're lucky to be getting more than 160k tbh! eVDSL wont benefit you at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

ED E wrote:
    7KM, you're lucky to be getting more than 160k tbh! eVDSL wont benefit you at all.

Oh well my hopes totally dashed now might keep the carrier pigeons for another few years !

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

My Exchange went live last wednesday, got connected yesterday, 18 down and 5 up, download a slight improvement on what i had, upload a big improvement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

People are now complaining about a downgrade in speed with Evdsl.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057461221

No surprise when the Eircom site describes it as super fast broadband even if you are only able to get 7mb vdsl. I expect to see many complaints like this as Eircom will not inform customers of the reduction in speed by upgrading to super fast broadband.

Do you think it was a mistake to offer this to people more than 1500 metres from the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭skydish79

tuxy wrote: »
    People are now complaining about a downgrade in speed with Evdsl.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057461221

No surprise when the Eircom site describes it as super fast broadband even if you are only able to get 7mb vdsl. I expect to see many complaints like this as Eircom will not inform customers of the reduction in speed by upgrading to super fast broadband.

Do you think it was a mistake to offer this to people more than 1500 metres from the exchange?

Will the efibre connection not be more stable?

skydish79 wrote: »
    Will the efibre connection not be more stable?

Not if its struggling. Bad copper shows up way more with VDSl, especially upstream. An ADSL resync takes 15-20seconds, VDSL on the huawei MSANs takes 90 so any drops are really noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ed do you think it was a mistake to offer this service up to 2km?
    Do you know if telecoms in other countries offer vdsl over such long distances?

Well others use ANNEX 30 and can go a lot further.

With cVDSL as eircom call it you can have situations where a 4_0.3Mb ADSL line becomes a 7_1Mb VDSL line, this is really maxing out the link length for the cab but the gains are quite significant for that customer, if not "superfast".

On the other hand with eVDSL the ADSL speed is already quite good at that range, so selling VDSL doesnt make sense unless they really really need the upload (Businesses with VPNs etc). Dunno what the providers sales teams will do with it.

Big problem here is the whole "You're in an efibre area, your lines not done yet but its coming soon" spiel. This has given thousands of people an expectation of upgrade that they simply will never get with this product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Eircom are the most unprofessional and usless company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Not one department has a clue what the other is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

ED E wrote: »
    Not if its struggling. Bad copper shows up way more with VDSl, especially upstream. An ADSL resync takes 15-20seconds, VDSL on the huawei MSANs takes 90 so any drops are really noticeable.

So, what sort of impact will eFibre have for homes who phone line was installed 20, 30 or 40 years ago? In a lot of rural areas, exchanges were never enabled for broadband at all and there would be a lot of old houses whose lines were installed years ago and are probably completely obsolete at this stage. Even though Eircom are promising speeds "up too 100MB", what are the realistic speeds people should expect - even for those near the exchange?

• Advertisement

Thats the same as everywhere, copper gets replaced as it fails for the most part. They'll probably just have a lot of faults in the first few months.

Advertisement