Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Anyone else here having weird dreams? Mine are bizzare these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

bp wrote: »
    Anyone else here having weird dreams? Mine are bizzare these days

Oh definately, wouldn't normal dream too much but lately they are so strange yet so vivid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Hi all, I've got my next hospital appointment tomorrow in Holles street and I'll be attending the midwives clinic. What's the procedure when I arrive? I've to get bloods done again so I was thinking of arriving for 8, get them done and then the clinic starts at 830.

Has anyone attended the lunchtime antinaetal classes in Holles street? Do you just arrive? How long do they take?

Sorry Leinster I don't go to the hospital for my appointments so I'm not too sure of the routines. Hope all went well.

Had a GP appointment myself today, bump measuring correctly & heartbeat good & strong so all reassuring. The kicks I've been getting lately are so strong but that's another good sign I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Went looking at buggies today. Baffled.com. So much money!! I'd nearly want to be guaranteed I'll have 2-3 kids to feel I was getting my moneys worth :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I swear I bought my car with more confidence than I have looking at buggies! Had 99% settled on Uppababy Vista when I discovered there's a new model coming out that is much better suited to conversion to a double if needed.... No idea when we want second baby though!

Yeah I was looking at one and the guy said it converts for two kids, I was like "slow the f*ck down!". I don't plan on having another while this one is still in a buggy, I can barely cope with the thoughts of having one!

I bought my travel system second hand as an unused gift, I just couldn't justify paying close to a grand on a buggy.
    In the end I was glad I went down that route as I only used it for about 5 months before switching to a light buggy that was easy to get in & out of the car & shops.
    I'll be using the same travel system on this baby for as long as it's practical & them switching to a light buggy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

I have had to buy a double buggy as my first will only be a year and 3 months when number two comes along... I bought it second hand. Its in great shape... I bought a travel system on my first and like you above, I only used it for the first 5-6 months and then changed to a lighter buggy. There are some great bargains on adverts and donedeal if you are that way inclined...

I bought mine second hand too - so much cheaper!!! The ones that easily convert to doubles are handy

• Advertisement

The one I'm looking at is €650 with carrycot (to be used instead of Moses basket in daytime), toddler seat and car seat adaptors, as we're getting a car seat from family. So basically the second hand ones I was looking at are €400-500, so for a bit more we have a new one, that can convert IF we needed it to (I don't see that happening though), and can go back to the local shop if there's any problems with it. We'll see. I actually don't really like light/stroller type ones, so I'd probably stick with using the heavier one for longer.

So much to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

I actually don't really like light/stroller type ones, so I'd probably stick with using the heavier one for longer.

So much to consider!

There is alot to consider alright but believe me, when you are lifting them in and out of a car a couple of times a day for a while, you might be considering the lighter one sooner than you think :D.... The travel systems are great in the beginning but in my experience, they become redundant fairly quickly...

Only my experience, mind you... I was going to buy a second hand one for my first, but my husband wanted the new one, so we went with a new one...

Tbh it wouldn't be in and out of the car multiple times a day very often at all, most of the time I'm at home and if we're going to see friends or family we won't bring it at all. If I'm using it by myself it'll mostly be to walk to the shop, walk into town or for a walk with the dog, so straight out the front door. Doctor, supermarket, town centre, everything is within 5 min walking distance.

I work from home so often spend days without leaving the house, we live in a small place so I'd never be in and out with the car multiple times a day, any jobs requiring the car are done in one burst :) All our friends and family in similar situations locally are using theirs consistently with 1-2+ year olds, none of them have moved to lighter ones actually. I suppose it depends on your lifestyle really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Still use the bugaboo at 14 months old. Wouldn't be used daily though. We'll be looking for a double now. Husband was looking at secondhand bugaboo donkeys on donedeal! Never bother getting a stroller as we use the buggy mainly for going for walks and we live in the country so it wouldn't be comfortable for her on long walks. Up until she started walking a few months ago I used use the sling for shopping and short trips. Still use it the odd time now.

Yes Roesy we plan on using slings quite a lot, but my back isn't the greatest so I don't know that it will be a suitable option for many trips out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Yes Rose we plan on using slings quite a lot, but my back isn't the greatest so I don't know that it will be a suitable option for many trips out.

Oh my back is rubbish, the result of a car crash, horse riding accidents, falling down stairs etc :D Once you get a proper, supportive one it's quite comfortable. My lady had bad reflux so I used it an awful lot, especially in the early days. You should try and get a consult or go to a sling meet and try a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

No bother, I got there early and was able to figure it out. Everything was fine with the baby but my iron was a bit low as per the results of my first visit. I've been suffering very bad with my stomach, heartburn and indegestion so taking galfer was making everything worse. I mentioned it to my GP at my last visit and he didn't seem concerned but the midwife today wasn't too happy with me. I had two miscarriages last year and she said that low iron could have contributed to that and could affect holding onto this pregnancy which is when I got upset. It was bad enough last year going through the miscarriages but she made me feel so bad. Was so upset I ended up coming straight home and not going to work. Not one person that I've seen since the miscarriages ever mentioned this to me and when i left today I felt to blame for my miscarriages. I bought liquid galfer on the way home to try again.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Sorry Leinster I don't go to the hospital for my appointments so I'm not too sure of the routines. Hope all went well.

Had a GP appointment myself today, bump measuring correctly & heartbeat good & strong so all reassuring. The kicks I've been getting lately are so strong but that's another good sign I guess.

Roesy can you recommend any slings to consider? There's no sling meet ups near me but I was thinking of booking a private one because I really want to use them and not let my damaged back/neck stop me!

No bother, I got there early and was able to figure it out. Everything was fine with the baby but my iron was a bit low as per the results of my first visit. I've been suffering very bad with my stomach, heartburn and indegestion so taking galfer was making everything worse. I mentioned it to my GP at my last visit and he didn't seem concerned but the midwife today wasn't too happy with me. I had two miscarriages last year and she said that low iron could have contributed to that and could affect holding onto this pregnancy which is when I got upset. It was bad enough last year going through the miscarriages but she made me feel so bad. Was so upset I ended up coming straight home and not going to work. Not one person that I've seen since the miscarriages ever mentioned this to me and when i left today I felt to blame for my miscarriages. I bought liquid galfer on the way home to try again.

Some midwives can be so blunt when talking to patients. On my first visit I asked if I could do the midwife led care & the midwife doing my checks said absolutely not as I've a section so I'm 'high risk', I asked my consultant & she said no problem & signed me over that day :rolleyes:
    If the iron supplement is effecting your stomach take it last thing at night, that's what I do as it would make me feel ill.
    Hope you feel better soon.

I use both buggies - light one in the boot travel system for walk (or boot if planning a long walk), just find it easier although double will have to do both when bump arrives.

I have a stokke sling - toodler loves being on daddy's back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

hi guys my partner is suffering big time from carpal tunnel. is there anything to comfort her. She is 24 weeks today but this is going on easily the past month.
    thanks

Has she been to her doctor about it? Has she a wrist support?

[QUOT =stevveyg;93741358]hi guys my partner is suffering big time from carpal tunnel. is there anything to comfort her. She is 24 weeks today but this is going on easily the past month.
    thanks[/QUOTE]

I had De Quervain's syndrome (mother's wrist), a form of tendonitis of the wrist often mistaken for Carpel tunnel, when pregnant with my son. There wasn't much I could take while pregnant so I just bought a splint & wore that as much as possible especially at night as that was when it was worst.
    Once I had my son the doctor gave me anti-inflammatories which did little to relieve the pain, tbh the only thing that helped it in the end was time & rest (not easy with a new baby), my son was around 6 months before it resolved itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Baby4 wrote: »
    I'm really freaking out already about having this baby. The thoughts of going into labour are giving me panic attacks. (It's obviously my first time).

It's more of a self-confidence thing - I just have no 'belief' that I can do it. (I obviously have no choice - this baby HAS TO come out, but I'm so very nervous about it).

Is/was anybody else the same on their first pregnancy?

Absolutely, I just kept thinking that we are made for this.....didn't work as well as imaging meeting them for the first time - gets you through anything

I try not to dwell on labour too much, I've printed off my birth preferences & stuck them to the inside of my hospital file, other than that I don't put too much thought into it.
    I just reassure myself by saying if millions of women give birth everyday ( and then go on to have more children ) then so can I. I had a failed induction & emergancy c-section but here I am prepared to do it all over again ;)

Hospital file? Am I suppose to have one of them??

Hospital file? Am I suppose to have one of them??

Your hospital medical notes. I carry mine as I'm doing combined midwife & GP care.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Your hospital medical notes. I carry mine as I'm doing combined midwife & GP care.

I'm combined care too and don't have medical file/anything, only the little white booklet yoke...which isn't exactly a "file" so mustn't be what you have!?

• Advertisement

I'm combined care too and don't have medical file/anything, only the little white booklet yoke...which isn't exactly a "file" so mustn't be what you have!?

Yeah I have the white card but I also carry my file, you don't have to but I prefer to.

Advertisement