Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

nirvana78 wrote: »
    I found out today I have gestational diabetes, I didn't have it on my other two, so it's a bit of a surprise. Anyone else got it? I've to meet dietician on Monday for further info and new diet. She told me today I'll have to test myself 7 times a day for a week and then go back for further checks.

I hope you are ok. How do you rest yourself - pin prick?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nicolaforest

Aw that's tough going nirvana78. Hopefully the tests over the next week will all read normal-ish and you won't have to be in and out of hosp too much with it. Must be so frustrating if you never had it with the other 2. How far along are you? I haven't done the glucose test yet and no-one has mentioned it, wonder should I ask about it at my check up on Weds (30 wks)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Aw that's tough going nirvana78. Hopefully the tests over the next week will all read normal-ish and you won't have to be in and out of hosp too much with it. Must be so frustrating if you never had it with the other 2. How far along are you? I haven't done the glucose test yet and no-one has mentioned it, wonder should I ask about it at my check up on Weds (30 wks)?

The glucose test isn't necessary for everyone.

Yes I know that but I've heard of quite a few ppl being diagnosed with it who don't meet the 'typical' criteria or who weren't expected to have it so I'm thinking there's surely no harm in asking my midwife. Mind yourself nirvana :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm 30 weeks on Monday, glucose test was never mentioned to me either on this or my last pregnancy. I think they go by your bmi and/or your family history as to whether to test for it or not.
    Tbh I'm quiet happy to fly under thd radar & not be tested for it, the less time I've to spend in the hospital & the less poking & prodding I've to go through the happier I'll be;)

• Advertisement

I was told I will get the indicator test at 27 weeks (drink fizzy water and wait an hour) and that everyone gets one....didn't on previous child.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Thank you for all your good wishes and feedback. I'm 26 weeks, the reason I got the test was because my Mam has diabetes. The test will be a pin pick yes. Along with my pins and needles already I won't be able to feel my fingers by the end of next week.

One other factor that may have influenced the reading, it was my birthday on Wednesday, so naturally there were extra amounts of sweet treats and other foods!!

Just home from a couple of hours in the Coombe, baby decided not to move all day and get us worried, then started jumping around while they ran a CTG! Typical. Glad we went in though, better safe than sorry.

Just home from a couple of hours in the Coombe, baby decided not to move all day and get us worried, then started jumping around while they ran a CTG! Typical. Glad we went in though, better safe than sorry.

So nerve wracking when they have a quiet day like that, glad all is well x

I hate that, when panic starts to set in and you question everything, it's a tough time coz you're not sure when to act on it. I'm glad you went with your instinct and everything is okay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

I was getting an internal beating there over the weekend - calmed down to little flutters now so going with they are kicking my organs instead!

Baby do you mind me asking what hospital you're attending? I'm attending Mullingar and I have a visit next Thursday week 28 for me. I was wondering would I get a scan but now that they discovered the gestational diabetes I was hoping that might make it a priority.

I was the same bp I was getting lumps kicked out of me for days and then nothing but he/she obviously just found somewhere new to kick! I think it's amazing that such a tiny creature can be so strong, I love it. Best of luck today Baby4

Back from the midwives, all good. Baby measuring just 30 weeks ( I'm 30+2 ) & the head is down yay!!
    Baby was not a bit impressed with the midwife grabbing her by the head though & made that clear by dancing on my bladder all the way home :D

Baby4 at one point I was told my bp was very low, followed by ah it's ok don't worry about it. I know how you feel. Great to see baby though, get a glimpse of who's been kicking and punching you just as you lay down to go to sleep!

Maybe just up your iron rich foods Baby4, it wouldn't be as constipating as taking tablets while still getting more iron, green leafy veg would be best.

Baby4 wrote: »

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

hey girls, just popping in from march thread, i've been trying to increase my iron intake and looked up a lot, its actually hard for body to process the iron from veg, meat is easier for body and red meat and poultry are good sources!(the poultry was news to me!) and try to avoid milk or tea with your meals and for short time after because it effects the absorption of the iron!
    I have ended up taking ferrograd c, I take it every second day! I would be prone to constipation on iron but this seems to be ok with my digestive system! again if your going to take iron supplements avoid milk containing products before or after it!

Baby4 wrote: »

Oh Lord yes Cornflakes with ice cold milk, I have at least one bowl a day :D

I has bloods taken to test for anaemia yesterday in GP as looked 'very pale' but I think that's just my default colour when I'm tired cos I was tested before a good few times and always neg. I'm constipated enough as it is! Hopefully you can sort it thru food rather than meds as you said. Glad the appointments went well yesterday. I haven't had cornflakes in years but now now I want some, ye made them sound lovely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Hi girls hope ye don't mind me popping in, but I have a glass of prune juice every morning with my breakfast and it is definitely helping as I have no constipation. I'm also going to start making my own smoothies with yogurt, banana, fresh orange juice, pineapple and spinach!

Typical - you worry about only slight movements for a few days and then baby takes it upon themselves to poke you senseless with what I assume to be a foot! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

bp wrote: »
    Typical - you worry about only slight movements for a few days and then baby takes it upon themselves to poke you senseless with what I assume to be a foot! :-)

I know, I was freaking out Wednesday and Thursday that I had barely felt anything. I was all due to phone the hospital when baby suddenly woke up and gave me some of the hardest kicks yet!

31 weeks today, so stiff & sore too, going to yoga later to hopefully loosen up a bit.
    The pregnant waddle has started to set in too :D
    Though I seem to be getting less intelligent by the day, it's baby brain times 20 :rolleyes::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Girls, i'm over from the June thread. I'm planning 2 short trips during the Easter break in April, one to Edinburgh and the other to London with just a couple of days between the 2 trips. I'll be at the stage you all are now 30/31 weeks. Based on you're all feeling now do ye think i'm mad? It's my 3rd pregnancy but i just can't remember exactly how i felt around that stage on the previous ones but i had trouble free pregnancies and normal on time deliveries etc. They're both leisure travel, one with my own family ie. hubby & kids, and the other is with my mother & sisters.

Thanks.

Advertisement