Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.45 for a pint in a certain establishment!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

€6 for a pint of rock shandy in town once. €3 each can. The barman told me it'd be cheaper to order a beer

The price of soft drinks in pubs is ridiculous. A tray of coke cans sold for €1 each makes a nice profit, especially at the volume a pub could sell.

Non alcoholic beer should be cheaper yes, you're getting nothing for the same price as beer. Pricing of non-alcoholic drinks completely push you towards alcohol on a night out

Bottles of beer are now more expensive than pints too

Pubs have their pricing completely messed up and yet the IVF scratch their heads like supermarkets are the problem?

Apt username.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Then they should not be in business then should they, And €6.25 for stew by the looks of it is not cheap.

Diceys is a pub, not a restaurant. If you want good food, you do not go to Diceys. You go there for booze, but maybe have some food to keep you going. If you go there just for food, you are as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

Hence 20c charge for water to get you out of that seat and wasting time at the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SameDiff wrote: »
    Diceys is a pub, not a restaurant. If you want good food, you do not go to Diceys. You go there for booze, but maybe have some food to keep you going. If you go there just for food, you are as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

Hence 20c charge for water to get you out of that seat and wasting time at the bar.
    At lunch time they do a full car era hobby though, which they get a fair bit of business off. I'm pretty sure people are perfectly welcome to go in there just for food at that hour, since they tend to get a lot of students and people on their lunch break from work.

Different story in the evenings if course, but at €2-3 a drink who can really complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Diceys is a pub, not a restaurant. If you want good food, you do not go to Diceys.

What are you talking about? Diceys always promotes that it does lunch and bar food? :confused:

If a person came in and just asked for a pint of water yeah fair enough it's time wasting. That's not what happened. He ordered food and water. Hardly time wasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

13 pages later and I'm not sure if things are expensive or not. Oh God Why? The Humanity!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Don't see what's wrong with charging 20c.

You have to see things from their point of view.

If he's paid say a tenner an hour, and it takes him 30 seconds to get a glass, fill it and hand it over, then that works out at about 10c, including his labour costs.

Add in overheads and costs of cleaning glasses, 20c price is probably only profit of 5c or less per glass of water (never mind the opportunity cost of the barman serving someone a proper drink in the same time).

They are making no money out of the 20c in real terms. Therefore the price is to put people off ordering water. As a business, there is nothing wrong with that. The more cheapskates you can keep out of your pub, the better.
    but, but, hold on, i thought the poor poor publicans were struggling for customers begorra?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

but, but, hold on, i thought the poor poor publicans were struggling for customers begorra?

They'll be struggling if cheapskates want to sit in their premises with glasses of tap water. It's a business ffs.

Next time you're wondering what happened to that great coffee shop that you could play chess in all night, well.....it went under because of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its 20c, its hardly going to kill anyone to pay it, wouldnt bother me to pay it. That is 25 pints of water for 1 beer

The over charging on soft drinks and non alchoholic beers is another thing altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

€6 for a pint of rock shandy in town once. €3 each can. The barman told me it'd be cheaper to order a beer

The price of soft drinks in pubs is ridiculous. A tray of coke cans sold for €1 each makes a nice profit, especially at the volume a pub could sell.

Non alcoholic beer should be cheaper yes, you're getting nothing for the same price as beer. Pricing of non-alcoholic drinks completely push you towards alcohol on a night out

Bottles of beer are now more expensive than pints too

Pubs have their pricing completely messed up and yet the IVF scratch their heads like supermarkets are the problem?

I had a part time job in college many moons ago which invvss stock taking - we'd go into shops, supermarkets and pubs and literally count and document every item. Boring as fcuk but the money was good.

One thing I always remember in pubs was counting soft drinks - publicans loved them and maintained they could retire millionaires if they could only get people to ditch the alcoholic drinks for these. I think a bottle of coke was working out less than 10p to a publican in old money back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a packet of crisps and red bull cost me a fiver today in a country pub

,,,excessive??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Vote with your wallet. If they are getting away with it, then the voter is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Vote with your wallet. If they are getting away with it, then the voter is an idiot.

Exactly!

In this situations I do feel sorry for tourists. But Irish people should know better I'm sure there are plenty of dodgy pubs you could get pints in cheaper but then again you cant go anywhere else then where the 'lads' are going. - If you cant stick the heat get out of the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I ordered a pint in there before then when it came to paying for it. I was shocked with the price and said good luck to them and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

6781 wrote: »
    I ordered a pint in there before then when it came to paying for it. I was shocked with the price and said good luck to them and left.

To be honest, if they would have told me it's 7.45, I would just say feck off and leave too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

A cheap-ass meal. They're probably making eff all on the dinner, it is the drinks where they make their margin.

I thought everyone knew that.

You do realise that most places make a bigger profit on food then anything else ? I know this because a friend works in a hotel and he has said the sale of food is keeping the place open .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

If you want free water stand outside looking up with your mouth open when it's raining.

Or, I could go to almost any of the other pubs or restaurants that are happy to consider free tap water to be part of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

You do realise that most places make a bigger profit on food then anything else ? I know this because a friend works in a hotel and he has said the sale of food is keeping the place open .[/QUOTE

Yep food ( dinner ) has at least 40% margin in most pub/restaurants, a complete fcuking rip off charging anything over €5 for a pint live music or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

This ridiculous notion that pubs are for solely for drinking and, if you want food you should go to a restaurant, is one of the main reasons why so many publicans are staring across counters into empty spaces bitching about supermarkets and the smoking ban. Meanwhile, their competitors down the road are filled with people holding knives and forks.
    That Ireland is dead and gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

This ridiculous notion that pubs are for solely for drinking and, if you want food you should go to a restaurant, is one of the main reasons why so many publicans are staring across counters into empty spaces bitching about supermarkets and the smoking ban. Meanwhile, their competitors down the road are filled with people holding knives and forks.
    That Ireland is dead and gone.

It is a fact that pubs which survived the recession did so as they startied doing, or placed a greater emphasis on, food. Obviously some pubs will be the exception to this but a pub not doing food was asking for trouble, particularly during the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Check it out! Customer got 10c change out of €20 for 2 pints and 2 packets of crisps!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/would-you-pay-this-much-for-a-pint-637152.html

Here is the reciept :mad:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtNlQ24IUAEaTe3.jpg

Urgh. People have to know about this price gouging. Personally I would have left but clearly tourists are in a more invidious position.

Ha thats just up the road from O'Connell street, I'd love to know how many people went in there after participating in the demonstration 2 weeks ago about water charges and then got charged 20 cent for water and didn't run amok and rip the barman a new arsehole :D

• Advertisement

You do realise that most places make a bigger profit on food then anything else ? I know this because a friend works in a hotel and he has said the sale of food is keeping the place open .

Absolute drivel.

The margin on drinks is much higher, every dog in the street knows that.

Use your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Wossack wrote: »
    Temple Bar pub in overpriced pint shocker

More like the idiots who would actually pay that shocker.

Advertisement