Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.45 for a pint in a certain establishment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Surprised by that, is t it only 20c more or so for a pint in the Dark Horse only 100-200m up the road (lovely food there too) or Sheehans directly around the corner?
    I'm not sure, I only saw a photo of their menu and drink prices. I'm from Dublin 14 area, so know what they are currently charging in some of the pubs, not familiar with other places in Blackrock...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Idbatterim wrote: »
    even Spoons in Blackrock is a joke IMO. They certainly cant sell themselves as cheap here, "value" they might claim, say you just want to go out for a few pints E4.75 a pint of Heineken in spoons. You can buy a pint in Harvey Nichols bar in Dundrum for E5.50 for christ sake, E5.30 in winters. Ill gladly pay that not to drink in spoons...
    I was in there last week and they were doing a few beers for €1.99 a pint, on special.
    If you order a meal, you can also get several beers at that price all the time.

Outside of specials and ordering a meal their cheapest pint is €3.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was in there last week and they were doing a few beers for €1.99 a pint, on special.

E1.99 is great in fairness and I know they offer good value on their food and drink combos. Outside of that E3.75 is fine in my opinion... If I were only drinking and out for a few with the lads & I had a spoons near me, it would want to be that kind of price to tempt me in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm not sure, I only saw a photo of their menu and drink prices. I'm from Dublin 14 area, so know what they are currently charging in some of the pubs, not familiar with other places in Blackrock...

Ha, so am I actually! Used to work in the TSB right beside there when it was getting built (don't miss the 17 bus in rush hour), most people working in the general area were quite eagerly awaiting it since the talk among other pub staff was possibly under €4 on certain drinks. I'd say there's some disappointed heads knocking around at those prices. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

E1.99 is great in fairness and I know they offer good value on their food and drink combos. Outside of that E3.75 is fine in my opinion... If I were only drinking and out for a few with the lads & I had a spoons near me, it would want to be that kind of price to tempt me in...
    Yeah the prices really make you question why some places are looking for €5.50+ for a pint.
    I'd love one in my area just to keep the other publicans honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

even Spoons in Blackrock is a joke IMO. They certainly cant sell themselves as cheap here,
    Which is probably why they don't :confused: I have never seen any JDW advertising for the blackrock pub inferring it was going to be cheap, did you?

If there was any advertising claiming good value I expect it was truthful, and I would love to see otherwise.

I saw plenty of people hoping it would be cheap, and plenty of people saying it is not cheap, and its not, and I was not surprised. People were chomping at the bit to get a dig in and say it was promoting binge drinking and that they are not welcome. They are well aware of their repuatation and so I guess they prices accordingly. I expect there are cheaper pints to be got around blackrock if all you want to do is get pissed on cheap tuborg etc.

The majority of reviews in numerous forums have been very positive, there were a few hit & run "place is crap" reviews with no further info on what was wrong. Most important to me would be if the negative reviewers could have offered a better option in blackrock, I doubt it, they just seemed like hateful cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone who pays over the odds for anything deserves what they get.
    If you're willing to pay it then pubs will charge it.

Six pints for 20 euro in my local. Hard to beat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Hardly gonna do our tourism any good if we rip them off in 'tourist traps'.

There's no excuse for that that's gouging, plain and simple.

Happens in every country. We're not special.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Does a bag of Taytos count as a meal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You can buy a pint in Harvey Nichols bar in Dundrum for E5.50 for christ sake, E5.30 in winters..

Two of the most depressing bars in the world let alone Dublin

• Advertisement

Does a bag of Taytos count as a meal ?

menu here
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

In regards to what is a "meal" I am pretty sure I saw a definition recently, and I think it was a cost based definition. It might have been pubs getting extended hours as long as they supplied a substantial meal or something, or children being allowed in after a certain time, and then went on to define that as a meal costing at least €9 or something. I stuck in my mind at the time since I thought "hang on, in wetherspoons you could probably get your days calorie in take for less than €9", so it was like they decided, well every pub is a rip off, so you can't expect to get a decent feed for less than €9. It was possibly a VFI definition. I doubt wetherspoons are part of that crowd.

I think the "meal" think was also defined for or by eddie rockets, some of them do/did serve drink. I think their drinks licence was allowed on teh basis that people would be eating. I think a large standard burger qualified as a meal.

E4.75 a pint of Heineken in spoons. You can buy a pint in Harvey Nichols bar in Dundrum for E5.50 for christ sake, E5.30 in winters.
    I don't get this comment, it is was something like "a bog standard burger is €9 now in mcdonalds, sure I can get one for €10 in one of those gourmet burger places".

The pints are going to be the same standard, so I can only take you mean the decor or something. And I presume you have never been in the wetherspoons in blackrock which got really good reports for its decor etc. They spent a fortune doing it up, and from pics I see it looks grand.

I would say its fairly comparable looking to winters, I have never been in harvey nichols. From what friends say about spoons in blackrock it would actually have less of a "sterile feel" to it than winters does. Everyone was going on about UK wetherspoons being "souless"

If wetherspoons had not been invovled and three tun tavern just opened by an irish crowd -identically to what it is now, same prices, staff, layout etc I bet it would have attracted little or no negative reviews/comments at all. I expect people would have been giving it even better reviews as it would have been even more unexpected and people would not have had their minds made up already. So some reviews like "its cheap, but not that cheap" would have been "its really cheap". Some seem to be going in looking to be disappointed, and end up disappointed that it was good!

Also Heineken is one of the worst value pints in spoons relatively speaking. There is no overly cheap drink there, but the ones which are expensive in other pubs are great value there.

I'd like to know how much a skyy & coke is in winters or harvey nichols, or a pint of staropramen or bottle of zyweic or kopparberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Check it out! Customer got 10c change out of €20 for 2 pints and 2 packets of crisps!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/would-you-pay-this-much-for-a-pint-637152.html

Here is the reciept :mad:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtNlQ24IUAEaTe3.jpg

Urgh. People have to know about this price gouging. Personally I would have left but clearly tourists are in a more invidious position.

LOL, you know the auld saying about fools and their money.....

Are these prices displayed anywhere in the bar or in the window?

AFAIK publicans are legally obliged to display their prices for people to see.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    AFAIK publicans are legally obliged to display their prices for people to see.
    only 16 are required at the door, 1 lager, 1 stout, they could list the most low selling lager on offer if they wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

hiFidelity wrote: »
    £45 for a bottle of Heineken in a certain hotel in Monaco back in 2003, I didn't buy one.

I paid €9 for a pint of Guinness in Paris 12 years ago.

i paid 39chf or roughly 35 euro for a bottle of Heineken in Java nightclub in Geneva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You would almost think they were hoping people are stupid enough to think they are now only starting to pay for water like private homes.... And not being paying all along, water charge was a price and part of running there business all along. And tbh 20c is a mad price how much would that compare to the current charge per 5 lt or what ever it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Don't see what's wrong with charging 20c.

You have to see things from their point of view.

If he's paid say a tenner an hour, and it takes him 30 seconds to get a glass, fill it and hand it over, then that works out at about 10c, including his labour costs.

Add in overheads and costs of cleaning glasses, 20c price is probably only profit of 5c or less per glass of water (never mind the opportunity cost of the barman serving someone a proper drink in the same time).

They are making no money out of the 20c in real terms. Therefore the price is to put people off ordering water. As a business, there is nothing wrong with that. The more cheapskates you can keep out of your pub, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

SameDiff wrote: »
    Don't see what's wrong with charging 20c.

You have to see things from their point of view.

If he's paid say a tenner an hour, and it takes him 30 seconds to get a glass, fill it and hand it over, then that works out at about 10c, including his labour costs.

Add in overheads and costs of cleaning glasses, 20c price is probably only profit of 5c or less per glass of water (never mind the opportunity cost of the barman serving someone a proper drink in the same time).

They are making no money out of the 20c in real terms. Therefore the price is to put people off ordering water. As a business, there is nothing wrong with that. The more cheapskates you can keep out of your pub, the better.

Look at the receipt, the water was ordered with a meal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

TheZohan wrote: »
    Look at the receipt, the water was ordered with a meal.

A cheap-ass meal. They're probably making eff all on the dinner, it is the drinks where they make their margin.

I thought everyone knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

A cheap-ass meal. They're probably making eff all on the dinner, it is the drinks where they make their margin.

That's not really the punter's problem, is it? Serve food and you'll likely get some non-drinkers who don't drink soft drinks in or people who like water with a meal (whether they drink or not). You can't pick and choose.

I thought everyone knew that.

Then they should not be in business then should they, And €6.25 for stew by the looks of it is not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What if I want to be responsible and have a water with or after a pint?
    I was being responsible last week by not getting drunk and sticking to non alcoholic beer not that my wallet knows any different. Publicans really don't buy into the whole drinking responsibly lark and customers who do seem to be punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you want free water stand outside looking up with your mouth open when it's raining.

If you want free water stand outside looking up with your mouth open when it's raining.

Was not free water came with a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Then they should not be in business then should they, And €6.25 for stew by the looks of it is not cheap.

It is in Dublin, where the receipt is from.

Russell court hotel Harcourt street, And it is expensive for a stew i can get a full carvery at my local for about €7. If idiots was to pay like €10.50 for basic pub food more fool them, does not mean what you are paying is the correct normal price. You ever hear of shop around ? Or do people just pay what ever price is put in front of them and complain later ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

dan1895 wrote: »
    What if I want to be responsible and have a water with or after a pint?
    I was being responsible last week by not getting drunk and sticking to non alcoholic beer not that my wallet knows any different. Publicans really don't buy into the whole drinking responsibly lark and customers who do seem to be punished for it.

Why would you expect non-alcoholic beer to be any cheaper?

and why would you expect publicans to buy into the "drink responsibly" lark? The Vintners' association claim they do, but everyone knows turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Valetta wrote: »

and why would you expect publicans to buy into the "drink responsibly" lark? The Vintners' association claim they do, but everyone knows turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

I'd expect non alcoholic beer to be less expensive as there's no alcohol duty on it. Non alcoholic beers in off licences are far cheaper than their alcoholic equivalent.

I'd expect a publican to buy into responsible drinking as he shouldn't really want a pub full of drunken idiots passing out and puking everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Valetta wrote: »

€6 for a pint of rock shandy in town once. €3 each can. The barman told me it'd be cheaper to order a beer

The price of soft drinks in pubs is ridiculous. A tray of coke cans sold for €1 each makes a nice profit, especially at the volume a pub could sell.

Non alcoholic beer should be cheaper yes, you're getting nothing for the same price as beer. Pricing of non-alcoholic drinks completely push you towards alcohol on a night out

Bottles of beer are now more expensive than pints too

Pubs have their pricing completely messed up and yet the IVF scratch their heads like supermarkets are the problem?

Advertisement