Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.45 for a pint in a certain establishment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

During the WC I was getting 2 pints for the same price as the one in temple bar plus 1.45 change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

What annoys me more is the gobshites that pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Its giving us a bad reputation abroad that Ireland is expensive and this just proves it.

Ireland needs to cop on a bit and lower the prices to facilitate more tourists coming which in turn will generate more income.

I have met loads of people who have been to Ireland (mainly Dublin) just once and always say its expensive. Don't get me wrong they enjoy their time but they state they wouldn't go back again.

To be fair I don't think the tourist traps gouging people are what gives the impression that Ireland is expensive, it is more likely the fact that everywhere is in fact expensive.
    All pubs effectively engage in price fixing meaning that you can't choose to go anywhere significantly cheaper. Restaurants are expensive and we suffer from a lack of a genuine "middle tier" of dining choices.

Any other countries I have been to you accept that you will be ripped off in tourist hotspots, but that you will find much better value elsewhere. In Ireland you get ripped off in tourist hot spots and get slightly less ripped off outside of them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Its giving us a bad reputation abroad that Ireland is expensive and this just proves it.

Ireland needs to cop on a bit and lower the prices to facilitate more tourists coming which in turn will generate more income.

I have met loads of people who have been to Ireland (mainly Dublin) just once and always say its expensive. Don't get me wrong they enjoy their time but they state they wouldn't go back again.
    Everywhere has tourist traps, we're not unique. It's up to the tourists to avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I would love a Wetherspoons to open in the middle of Templebar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

gandalf wrote: »
    Vote with your feet. As long as silly people keep staggering into their establishment and hand over their hard earned cash these businesses won't change.

If you know anyone coming over to visit recommend that they go else where and don't get ripped off by these gougers!

This is pointless. That bar is named Temple Bar in the ultra touristy part of Dublin. Also called Temple Bar. Which means there are a continuous supply of tourists in there every year, mostly reading a good review on some In Flight mag, or lonely planet, which is rarely critical. The only thing which might possibly stop that is Tripadvisor giving a bad review. But its a licence to print money at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

dub_skav wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think the tourist traps gouging people are what gives the impression that Ireland is expensive, it is more likely the fact that everywhere is in fact expensive.
    All pubs effectively engage in price fixing meaning that you can't choose to go anywhere significantly cheaper. Restaurants are expensive and we suffer from a lack of a genuine "middle tier" of dining choices.

Any other countries I have been to you accept that you will be ripped off in tourist hotspots, but that you will find much better value elsewhere. In Ireland you get ripped off in tourist hot spots and get slightly less ripped off outside of them

And yet I can get a pint for 4:30 in another touristy part of Dublin. Guniness - but still.

Dublin is not the rip off it was. Although food in pubs is still over expensive, there are in fact good mid-tier restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

A pint more expensive than Gogarty's, wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

GarIT wrote: »
    That's cheap compared to Maynooth.

Its not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Est 1840 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Cienciano wrote: »
    Everywhere has tourist traps, we're not unique. It's up to the tourists to avoid it.

Rip Off Republic is Rip Off Republic. Even outside of these tourist traps, natives and visitors are getting screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Who gives a **** if ya have to ask ya can't afford it no more than going into temple bar of a Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

And this is why I don't drink in pubs, Me and the other half buy our drink on the weekend and stay at home either watch films or other stuff. If everyone started doing that you would still have them going to government screaming they are going out of business and prices in the off-licence need to go up, So their bad business skills can be propped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I said wrote: »
    Who gives a **** if ya have to ask ya can't afford it no more than going into temple bar of a Thursday

Eh:confused:

Ya know you ll be rode on the price of drink in temple bar so why whinge about it especially if it's a Thursday night ya want to be rode for the price of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ya know you ll be rode on the price of drink in temple bar so why whinge about it especially if it's a Thursday night ya want to be rode for the price of it.

Well. That cleared that up.

Last night was Tuesday night incidentally.

Well. That cleared that up.

Last night was Tuesday night incidentally.

My bad shift work is a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A fiver for two packets of crisps is ridiculous. Thievery plain and simple.
    The Templebar fat tax :)
    Why do people pay stupid prices then complain elsewhere?
    If they have prices displayed walk past if not and the bill is a surprise say too dear and walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

Why aren't you all drinking at home? Oh what, still got friends and a social life?

Catch the wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What's the cheapest pint of Guinness you've seen in Dublin this year?

Its in or around 4 quid in most rural locations.

• Advertisement

Why aren't you all drinking at home? Oh what, still got friends and a social life?

Catch the wave.

Why do you need to go to a pub to meet friends and have a social life? Oh I forgot this is Ireland :(

What about buying a six pack of cans and drinking it in a field a pint would be less than €1.50 :) it's a rural location ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The Templebar fat tax :)
    Why do people pay stupid prices then complain elsewhere?
    If they have prices displayed walk past if not and the bill is a surprise say too dear and walk out.

If this was about any other city district then I'd say fair enough, but this is the tourist quarter. The area is marketed as a fun place to go where the craic is to be had. Tourists are like sheep, they'll go wherever they're told.

It's high time Dublin city stopped promoting temple bar as a tourist destination until pubs in the quarter bring their prices into line with the rest of the city. Temple is no longer a tourist asset, but a liability. The sky high prices are destroying the cities reputation... Doing far more damage than a 100 cancelled Garth brooks concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I was charged over €8.00 for a bottle of Corona in The Grafton Lounge a couple of years back. Looking back, I should have told the barman to keep it (in probably a less polite manner). Coupled with that, the bouncers that night were arseholes, but that's a different matter altogether. I wouldn't go back. . .

Revellers obviously have zero issue with the price of drink in The Temple Bar, judging by the crowds that have congregated there the night before Good Friday and on Paddy's Day. I'm sure the prices are just as high on those nights. I'm glad I don't drink much in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

€3.60

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cienciano wrote: »

Yup, pint of Magners in one pub in Amsterdam cost €8.60. Another place charged €9.00 for a vodka and coke. Other places then were doing 2 vodkas and coke for a tenner and bottles for €2.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Place near me does pints for 3.50. With my cineworld card now, I can in fact get a pint from the bar in the cinema for less than 4 quid. I don't drink so its fairly pointless, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Go somewhere that isn't a tourist trap if you don't want to get ripped off.

So why is it ok to rip-off the tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

MacTurcaills do €3.50 (or maybe €4.00) on all drinks. O' Reilly's near Tara station do similar. Couple of other places off the top of my do offers on all drinks but it's usually on a particular day or before a certain time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

the thing is, the place is basically packed all day 7 days a week, full of tourists, beggars belief.

I pass by it most days. Amazingly enough there's aways crowds of tourists outside it queuing up to take pictures of *the* Temple Bar. A fricking pub. A ****e one at that. Taking picture of it to prove, yes, they were really there at this famous Temple Bar.

With a target market like that, the hard hearted capitalist in me cant blame the publican for taking them for all they are worth. It's cruel, but when you have simple minded tourists queuing up to take picture of the pub, you might as well gouge them before someone else does.

The 2.50 for a packet of crisps though...really, WTF? Did the barman spit in their face when he handed back their 10 cent change? He really ought to have, for the full Temple Bar experience. As an earlier poster stated, I've absolutely **** all sympathy for publicans pleading the poor mouth with stuff like this going on. All the politician horror at "low" drink prices in supermarkets and off-licences is just very obvious Vintner donations trying to force Irish people back into pubs to get gouged like the poor tourists who don't know any better.

Advertisement