Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.45 for a pint in a certain establishment!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fúck the pint, 2.50 for a packet of crisps!?

It's almost like this picture the receipt thing is a game. What do people expect? After all the commotion made on the Huffington Posts website, where's the shock in it anymore? That they decided not to lower their prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Temple Bar pub in overpriced pint shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Check it out! Customer got 10c out of €20 for 2 pints and 2 packets of crisps!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/would-you-pay-this-much-for-a-pint-637152.html

Here is the reciept :mad:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtNlQ24IUAEaTe3.jpg

Urgh. People have to know about this price gouging.
    this has come up before with this pub in particular, but in their own defence they have pointed out that they have live music over the day and rather than charge a cover they add that onto the pint cost. It's even there on the reciept.

Theres better pubs, with no music, round the corner for normal-ish prices if you wanted to pay less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Loads of places around their hike prices to ridiculous levels after 11pm, possibly to compensate for all the pre-drinking people are doing now due to the high prices anyway, so yeah broken pricing system is broken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Go somewhere that isn't a tourist trap if you don't want to get ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Free music though :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

this has come up before with this pub in particular, but in their own defence they have pointed out that they have live music over the day and rather than charge a cover they add that onto the pint cost. It's even there on the reciept.

Theres better pubs, with no music, round the corner for normal-ish prices if you wanted to pay less.

That's an excuse, not a reason. Plenty of pubs provide entertainment without a cover charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ah come on now, the poor auld publican needs to make a living too ya know. Did you not hear that Garry Brookes cost him €50m....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

And the VFI are complaining about empty pubs, lobbying the got to increase prices in supermarkets?

Also as pointed out 2.50 for a bag of tayto :confused:

No sympathy. Greedy shower of whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Vote with your feet. As long as silly people keep staggering into their establishment and hand over their hard earned cash these businesses won't change.

If you know anyone coming over to visit recommend that they go else where and don't get ripped off by these gougers!

• Advertisement

Go somewhere that isn't a tourist trap if you don't want to get ripped off.

Hardly gonna do our tourism any good if we rip them off in 'tourist traps'.

There's no excuse for that that's gouging, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

People are staying at home eating their crisps, the government needs to act to increase crisp prices in shops and supermarkets to get people back into the pub to eat crisps.

It's been a tradition, along with a glass bottle of Lucozade, and will help rebuild our country's foundation which was founded on cheese & onion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Hardly gonna do our tourism any good if we rip them off in 'tourist traps'.

There's no excuse for that that's gouging, plain and simple.

Go to any other tourist-y area in any other country and you'll experience the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Idea - don't go there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Check it out! Customer got 10c change out of €20 for 2 pints and 2 packets of crisps!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/would-you-pay-this-much-for-a-pint-637152.html

Urgh. People have to know about this price gouging. Personally I would have left but clearly tourists are in a more invidious position.

stand outside and warn tourists that they are being ripped off in that pub see how long it takes before they drop their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

we got a 15 pack of Tayto for 2 euro in the weekly shop, 35.50 cent profit if I sell them in here!

Can imagine they're getting them for a lot cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Check it out! Customer got 10c change out of €20 for 2 pints and 2 packets of crisps!

Urgh. People have to know about this price gouging. Personally I would have left but clearly tourists are in a more invidious position.

FFS. It's the Temple Bar.

Anybody going there deserves to get fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That's cheap compared to Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Meanwhile there are places that do student nights that give 3 euro a pint and you get servered within a minute or two

It might be a tourist trap but a lot of the pubs around Temple Bar are terrible from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tourists are well aware that temple bar, like the area around the eiffel tower, central Munich and other tourism districts is going to be a lot more expensive.

Most go into the temple bar, buy one pint suck up a bit of music and leave with a memory worth something. 18e admission into the Guinness storehouse however......

• Advertisement

Go to any other tourist-y area in any other country and you'll experience the same thing.

Was in Antwerp earlier in the year. Kinda touristy tbh, but 1.65 for a bottle of Jupiler.

Drink a bottle of Jupiler and compare it to a pint of syrupy heinousken. Tell me who is being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BeerWolf wrote: »

Most Irish people would have more sense but tourists are told they should visit Temple Bar first in Dublin (don't ask me why) and this is what greets them. It's robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

BeerWolf wrote: »

Its not just about Irish people not going to the pub. Its in the tourist hub of Dublin, and probably one of the most popular bars that tourists will go to. Its pretty unfair to subject them to such prices.

gandalf wrote: »
    Vote with your feet. As long as silly people keep staggering into their establishment and hand over their hard earned cash these businesses won't change.

If you know anyone coming over to visit recommend that they go else where and don't get ripped off by these gougers!

Please. Tourists loves that ****.

I know plenty who have chosen temple bar over good city centre/Camden st. They love the tackiness and over abundance of other drunk tourists carrying their Carroll's gift store bags.

Leave em too it. They can consider the extra €2-3 a contribution to the national recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

"No cover charge", it proudly states on the same receipt documenting their near robbery of whomever bought the pints. Lolz.

For the same price, customer could have had two steak dinners and 4 pints in Diceys last night, if they went there instead. Although, its nearly worth paying the extra not to :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Duggy747 wrote: »
    People are staying at home eating their crisps, the government needs to act to increase crisp prices in shops and supermarkets to get people back into the pub to eat crisps.

It's been a tradition, along with a glass bottle of Lucozade, and will help rebuild our country's foundation which was founded on cheese & onion.

You advocate a Taytolitarian State???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Do they have their prices displayed?

Was in Antwerp earlier in the year. Kinda touristy tbh, but 1.65 for a bottle of Jupiler.

Drink a bottle of Jupiler and compare it to a pint of syrupy heinousken. Tell me who is being ripped off.

I went to a bar on istanbul this spring and was charged something like €6 for a bottle of corona.

By Turkish standards, I'd say it was 2-3 times over priced.

I've been over charged in every country I've ever visited. I've even seen places with differently priced menus for English and native speakers.

It's an occupational hazard when your a tourist visiting city centre spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't see a problem, the place is full 7 nights a week, why wouldn't they charge that if people are willing to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Shock horror a publican charges what people are willing to pay. He's a business not a charity, if someone is willing to pay that much, why shouldn't he?

Advertisement