Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.45 for a pint in a certain establishment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't see a problem, the place is full 7 nights a week, why wouldn't they charge that if people are willing to pay?

Precisely - it's a business and businesses are set up to create profit, I know this will come as a surprise to many people here.

Any tourist worth the name knows perfectly well if they step foot into the tourist traps of Dublin, they're likely to pay much more.

The prerogative, therefore, is on the tourist and it's up to them whether they want to take the risk. Many won't mind paying that price at all as they'll look at it as an experience in a pub in the "famous Temple Bar".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is it one of those "prices increase by a euro after 11pm" deals? Even still it's extortionate. But no one is forced to drink there. 20 minutes walk away you can get a pint for less than half that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't see a problem, the place is full 7 nights a week, why wouldn't they charge that if people are willing to pay?

Alot of tourists would go "for the music" and would happily sit there nursing a pint for more than an hour and then leave. Its a tough balance to strike. Its not really there to cater for the

That said anyone that comes over, i tell them to avoid temple bar or at the very least be prepared to spend some $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

B0jangles wrote: »
    You advocate a Taytolitarian State???

If it were up to me, I'd rule with an iron crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so prob one of the most expensive pints in Dublin? Still cheaper than the average here :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

floggg wrote: »
    I went to a bar on istanbul this spring and was charged something like €6 for a bottle of corona.

By Turkish standards, I'd say it was 2-3 times over priced.

I've been over charged in every country I've ever visited. I've even seen places with differently priced menus for English and native speakers.

It's an occupational hazard when your a tourist visiting city centre spots.

Tbf corona would be an imported beer, should've drank efes. Not a bad beer (actually it's lovely)

I know carlsberg/Heineken aren't Irish beers either, but Tbf they're brewed here and aren't seen as 'premiums'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

And the VFI are complaining about empty pubs, lobbying the got to increase prices in supermarkets?

Also as pointed out 2.50 for a bag of tayto :confused:

No sympathy. Greedy shower of whores.

Except that the empty pubs aren't the ones charging 7.50 for a pint, it's the ones like The Temple Bar that are packed to the rafters 7 days a week, supply and demand my friend.

In the interests of fairness though, pints bought after midnight are pricey, late licence, entertainment costs and staff costs etc.

How many post midnight pints do people consume after midnight anhow? As the night edges towards closing time I'm usually at the sipping and running for a piss every 15 minutes stage so I'm not hammering them back.

It's touristy temple bar, go someplace else. It wil cost you 12 euro for a coffee in St. Marks Square in Venice, two streets back it will cost you a euro. A cafe in St. Marks Square can charge you for a coffee and the view, Temple Bar will charge you for the beer and the 'craic', both can be had elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you really have to wonder at what point is the point of diminishing returns. I mean us dubs probably would drink there if it was E5.50 a pint. But do the tourists actually stay around and pay this or get fleeced once and thats it? Its a depraved amount for something you will be pissing out a short while later & for Heineken or the other usual s**t we have on tap here?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Tbf corona would be an imported beer, should've drank efes. Not a bad beer (actually it's lovely)

I know carlsberg/Heineken aren't Irish beers either, but Tbf they're brewed here and aren't seen as 'premiums'.

I can't recall what it was. It was a long neck and not efes anyway. Efes wasn't an option in that place.

I didn't mind paying it even if I was being ripped off. We went for the experience (it was apparently on of istanbul's best gay clubs) and left after our one over priced drink.

Pretty much how most people would feel about the temple bar I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

we got a 15 pack of Tayto for 2 euro in the weekly shop, 35.50 cent profit if I sell them in here!

Can imagine they're getting them for a lot cheaper too

Markup =/= Profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If only they had Dutch gold on tap .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The music is head wrecking, I'd expect free drink in return of having to listen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Oh and all hail wetherspoons

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you really have to wonder at what point is the point of diminishing returns. I mean us dubs probably would drink there if it was E5.50 a pint. But do the tourists actually stay around and pay this or get fleeced once and thats it? Its a depraved amount for something you will be pissing out a short while later & for Heineken or the other usual s**t we have on tap here?! :confused:

Not a dub but id never drink in temple bar if I had the choice. It's not the price either - it's the faux irishness and giddy tourists in their Carroll's tshirts and hoodies.

And they wouldn't charge it if they weren't getting away with it. I'd say most temple bar pubs print money. As long as tourists don't leave the bubble, they don't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the thing is, the place is basically packed all day 7 days a week, full of tourists, beggars belief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

floggg wrote: »

I've been over charged in every country I've ever visited.

There is something depressingly sad about that.

As for the OP, the high cost of dring in that place is well documented but the €2.50 cost of of a packet of crisps is a new one on me.

That really is a fúcking blatent rip off and price gouging at it's lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Duggy747 wrote: »
    If it were up to me, I'd rule with an iron crisp.

if you was in usa people might think you had a chip on your shoulder :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I dunno. If it came time for your contract renewal in your job, you chanced your arm and asked for 100k, your employer said yeah no problem, would you then jump in and say "no no, 50k is grand, that's what's fair"? You would in your bollix. Why shouldn't they charge it if people are willing to pay?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But with those prices are you not encouraging people to order less and then leave?

And of course do they advertise prices? Particularly the crisps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But with those prices are you not encouraging people to order less and then leave?

And of course do they advertise prices? Particularly the crisps

They are meant to have a price list for all drinks served at the entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Well you are paying for the special atmosphere of a genuine Irish pub with the craic.

Though you could achieve the same effect for considerably less by drinking a can of Karpackie in Carrol's gift shop.

Lapin wrote: »
    There is something depressingly sad about that.

As for the OP, the high cost of dring in that place is well documented but the €2.50 cost of of a packet of crisps is a new one on me.

That really is a fúcking blatent rip off and price gouging at it's lowest.

Meh. It's part of the tourism game.

Anywhere you get large numbers of people converging on an attraction, places will put their prices up.

Sure, you can go find much better value if you want but if I'm somewhere for a short period of time id rather just make the most of the time I have and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

VinLieger wrote: »
    Loads of places around their hike prices to ridiculous levels after 11pm, possibly to compensate for all the pre-drinking people are doing now due to the high prices anyway, so yeah broken pricing system is broken
    To make it like those stupid bar games except they're loaded so that all the players loose every time and the publican wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

you really have to wonder at what point is the point of diminishing returns. I mean us dubs probably would drink there if it was E5.50 a pint. But do the tourists actually stay around and pay this or get fleeced once and thats it
    yes they do stay around. And they're enjoying every bit of their time here they're lapping it up in every sense of the term. No law of diminishing returns takes effect here.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

Its giving us a bad reputation abroad that Ireland is expensive and this just proves it.

Ireland needs to cop on a bit and lower the prices to facilitate more tourists coming which in turn will generate more income.

I have met loads of people who have been to Ireland (mainly Dublin) just once and always say its expensive. Don't get me wrong they enjoy their time but they state they wouldn't go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

For me the issue is not really with the prices being charged but more so with the fact that people pay them!

Chances that the person who bought the drinks and crisps complained at the time are slim and none, if it was me I'd refuse to pay and walk out (although it is more likely the case that I would check the price beforehand and choose to go elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

It's annoying but that's what happen when you go to a tourist trap.

I was in Venice back in February and we stopped for lunch in a little coffee shop. We thought it was far enough away from Piazza San Marco that we wouldn't be ripped off...We got charged €7.20 for a cup of tea!!

I know a friend who got charged €7 for a coke in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Well know tourist trap, that happens. But I have to say I was quite shocked recently about the prices of drinks in some places lately. These would be spots I used to frequent quite often because they were "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

A fiver for two packets of crisps is ridiculous. Thievery plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

What were the crisps?

Advertisement