Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.45 for a pint in a certain establishment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

no sympathy, no one forced him to pay it. why pay it then moan about it on social media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You'd think everyone was forced to buy pints out at the pub with the amount of complaining going on here.

If you don't want to pay X for Y - don't. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

B0jangles wrote: »
    You advocate a Taytolitarian State???
    you mean a Dick tater ship ? :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

€7.29 will get you 3 Litres of some nice German beer in Lidl , 4 Litres when it's on special.

And the Lidl beer means a lot more excise duty to the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

is there a cheap pint finder app?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Duggy747 wrote: »
    People are staying at home eating their crisps, the government needs to act to increase crisp prices in shops and supermarkets to get people back into the pub to eat crisps.

It's been a tradition, along with a glass bottle of Lucozade, and will help rebuild our country's foundation which was founded on cheese & onion.

The humour here is brilliant. I doff my cap to you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

UCDVet wrote: »
    You'd think everyone was forced to buy pints out at the pub with the amount of complaining going on here.

If you don't want to pay X for Y - don't. Problem solved.

I think when a pint is poured you probably have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Go to any other tourist-y area in any other country and you'll experience the same thing.

You'll find expensive,you won't find any 8quid pints though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

bennyl10 wrote: »

There's a man who's never been to Norway. Or a strip club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No. When the pint is put in front of you, and the barman says "that'll €7.45 please", you say "€7.45 for a pint? are you for fúcking real?", and walk out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I go to Temple Bar probably 5 or 6 times a year and always enjoy it. Great atmosphere around with people wandering up and down and buskers etc. If there are too many idiots/hen parties/stag parties/one drink nursing annoying tourists etc in a given pub just try the next one.

Obviously wouldn't want to go there every weekend and yes you would get 4 or 5 drinks in the local for the price of 3 in Temple Bar but so what? That's like any trendy city centre area in any city. Just drink a bit slower FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Anybody know why there's a large portrait of Jimmy Carr on the exterior wall of Oliver St John Gogarty's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Their are tourist traps like this all over Ireland. I once worked in a certain resturaunt in the South where the owner would make meals three weeks in advance using ingredients from Cash and Carry, store it in the fridge for three weeks, stick it in the microwave for 10 minutes, then charge €15.95 for what was advertised as ''freshly prepared gourmet food''. They also charged tourists €2.50 for bottles of water he would get free from the cash and carry as part of his order. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

From working in bars for years in the past I am still surprised that hardly anyone checks the dates of the bottles that are given to them, remember being told to sell bottles of Stag that were 2 years out of date and bottles of WKD that were around the same, no matter how nice your publican seems they are always at at least one scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

€7.45 is madness for a pint.

Funny enough I was randomly on earthcam last week and came across the live feed for the temple bar : http://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

As I watch it there are about 20 people outside and who knows how many inside. All getting ripped off. But "the pub trade is suffering" is no doubt what you'd get out of the owner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Shock horror a publican charges what people are willing to pay. He's a business not a charity, if someone is willing to pay that much, why shouldn't he?

"I'll take any motherfuckers money if he giving it away!" - Corrupt Politician

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

€10 for a bottle of water (250ml) in a super club in Ibiza.
    €15 for a bottle of Heineken.

Craft beers (while they are nice) can be up to €8 a pint in places.
    It's madness when a pint is almost the minimum wage for an hours work

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Can't beat buying a few cokes and going into the toilets to mix a naggin with ;) Of course those were the days where I could barely afford the cokes as it was....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Was in Antwerp earlier in the year. Kinda touristy tbh, but 1.65 for a bottle of Jupiler.

Drink a bottle of Jupiler and compare it to a pint of syrupy heinousken. Tell me who is being ripped off.

Jupiler is the beverage of the Gods. I love that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Those prices are crazy. Don't know how people pay that much for a beer. I gave up alcohol almost a year ago. The amount of money it saves me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Those prices are crazy. Don't know how people pay that much for a beer. I gave up alcohol almost a year ago. The amount of money it saves me.

You'd be shocked to see the price of a small coke there(or in most bars)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

GarIT wrote: »
    That's cheap compared to Maynooth.

Are you really really sure about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

wow sierra wrote: »
    That's like any trendy city centre area in any city. Just drink a bit slower FFS.

Temple bar, trendy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

When a pint is poured you're presented with an offer to pay for it. You're under no obligation to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    When a pint is poured you're presented with an offer to pay for it. You're under no obligation to pay it.

Easy to spot the publicans on this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Never been to Paris then?

wow sierra wrote: »
    I go to Temple Bar probably 5 or 6 times a year and always enjoy it. Great atmosphere around with people wandering up and down and buskers etc. If there are too many idiots/hen parties/stag parties/one drink nursing annoying tourists etc in a given pub just try the next one.

Obviously wouldn't want to go there every weekend and yes you would get 4 or 5 drinks in the local for the price of 3 in Temple Bar but so what? That's like any trendy city centre area in any city. Just drink a bit slower FFS.

Trendy?

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

Technically you make the offer when you ask for a pint. Pouring the pint is acceptance, at which point you have an enforceable contract.

I can't see them calling judge judy though to enforce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm not an economist, and the only experience I have in pubs would be from drinking in them.

However, what am I missing here?

Why doesn't some entrepreneurial person with the money behind them open up a bar in Templebar and start charging reasonable prices for a pint, let's say 4-5€ .
    Surely tourists and even Dublin folk would go into it in their droves, if someone could adopt the method of making a small amount of money from a lot of people, (enough to keep the business viable) surely this would create real competition in the area and help to drive down prices.

In Derry city a few years ago, the bars there were engaged in a price war, as in who was selling the cheapest drinks. In Dublin it seems a cartel has emerged, and the pubs in that area seem to be competing on the opposite direction ie who can charge the most.

I realise Witherspoons, are for the most part devoid of atmosphere, what with no music etc, but it'd be nice to see one open in that area, if only to shake up the local militia of publicans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

???

I've paid more than that for a pint in London, Las Vegas, Melbourne and Sydney in the last year alone.

(Obviously London would normally be a lot less but the point is that the equivilent of Temple Bar in London can get just as expensive).

I got caught with the €7.45 Temple Bar price a couple of weeks ago. I'd ordered two pints already before realising (paid with a €20 for the first and a €10 for the second and it was only when I realised I didn't have enough change for a third that I checked my receipt).

To be fair to Temple Bar it is rammed every single night full of people looking like they're having the time of their life. It probably has tipped the point now in terms of price that will stop me going there as often as I previously did but I can't honestly say that I won't pay that price for a pint ever again.

Advertisement