Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk FC (read mod note in post #1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great win in Derry.
    Another Cup Final in the Aviva for Dundalk :pac::D
    Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Another amazing feat by this brilliant team.Brings the town up another level .Louth CC stlll deaf to all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

.Louth CC stlll deaf to all!!

Civic reception etc is being sought by CC but team schedule not conducive at the moment.

Civic reception etc is being sought by CC but team schedule not conducive at the moment.

:rolleyes:

Forgive me while i pmsl at the suggestion that LCC are considering,after 3 LONGGGGGGG years having a civic reception for Dundalk FC.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    ROFL!!

Nice one Elisha Fancy Underbelly,good bantz buddy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:rolleyes:

Forgive me while i pmsl at the suggestion that LCC are considering,after 3 LONGGGGGGG years having a civic reception for Dundalk FC.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    ROFL!!

Nice one Srameen,good bantz buddy :D

Only mentioned it because it was on the agenda of a meeting I attended two weeks ago. Personally, I couldn't care less either way, as I don't live in Dundalk nor follow football. But well done to them, they seem to be on a great roll at the moment and it has given a great lift to the whole town of Dundalk.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.
    I think at this stage it has all got a bit embarrassing for LCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Louth CC, only good for building cycle lanes that no one uses.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Sarcasm?
    There's a reasonable argument that those kind of "glamour" ties would do more harm than good for Dundalk/LOI.
    Putting aside the bumper gate in LR for a Dundalk V Man UTD match.
    Dundalk at the end of a long season/out of season could easily be thumped.
    That would be harsh on Dundalk and do nothing but reinforce the serotype the LOI is s*te and EPL is king.
    It would also be soul destroying to see Dundalk in a "home game" playing in front of a sea of red in LR with a small pocket of Dundalk fans in the corner.
    I also heard O'Donnell say that EL group stage is more their level.
    I think Legia will be ripped apart in the group they got (Real Madrid, Sporting Lisbon, Dortmund).
    Of course the money is huge but theres a sporting element to it too.
    I think you're being fairly negative there. Nothing wrong with pitting yourself against the best. It is what every player and fan wants - to be the best and beat the best. Personally I think Dundalk would put it up to any of the teams in the competition, I would think that once Dundalk perform well they can more than match them. It is the reason they have got to this stage after all. It would absolutely do no harm to see Dundalk vs Man United if Dundalk got something out of the game, it would do more for the LOI than anything else ever could.

I agree with you on the sea of red thing though. That unfortunately comes with the territory of playing PL teams in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

cournioni wrote: »
    I think you're being fairly negative there. Nothing wrong with pitting yourself against the best. It is what every player and fan wants - to be the best and beat the best. Personally I think Dundalk would put it up to any of the teams in the competition, I would think that once Dundalk perform well they can more than match them. It is the reason they have got to this stage after all. It would absolutely do no harm to see Dundalk vs Man United if Dundalk got something out of the game, it would do more for the LOI than anything else ever could.

I agree with you on the sea of red thing though. That unfortunately comes with the territory of playing PL teams in this country.
    But Legia are being ripped to shreds in their group. I was right.
    They now have to play Real Madrid in an empty stadium. That has the potential to be a cricket score.
    I think my point is very valid.

I don't think Dundalk would be fit for Real and Dortmund. These are giants.
    Obviously the E10M cheque would ease the pain of a few thumpings but I think Dundalk are doing far more for the league and themselves picking up points in the EL groups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

But Legia are being ripped to shreds in their group. I was right.
    They now have to play Real Madrid in an empty stadium. That has the potential to be a cricket score.
    I think my point is very valid.

I don't think Dundalk would be fit for Real and Dortmund. These are giants.
    Obviously the E10M cheque would ease the pain of a few thumpings but I think Dundalk are doing far more for the league and themselves picking up points in the EL groups.
    My original post was about Dundalk playing high profile teams in the Europa League ie. Manchester United, Roma and Feyenoord. How playing them would be more beneficial in terms of raising the profile of Dundalk and the League of Ireland. Nothing to do with Legia or Champions League - which Dundalk have been eliminated from so clearly not at CL level yet.

Dundalk's presence in the EL and their performances alone are doing that to an extent as it is, but there is no doubt that the aforementioned group (Man United, Roma and Feyenoord) would have been more glamorous albeit somewhat more difficult, I still think Dundalk would have been able to compete and get a few results.

All irrelevant either way as that's not the draw that Dundalk got and they're doing very well in the group that they're in so far. They may yet play one of those teams in the latter stages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

As a life long Dundalk FC fan I admire the belief in this team that they could go up another notch at compete against the Manchester Uniteds or Romas of the game. Maybe we could but as I see it pundits are waxing lyrical about us. Our profile has been raised and to some extent people are watching us a bit like Leicester last seasons EPL. People are really playing up the 'part-time' stuff which is being turned in to the roy of the rovers story of this season. I dont believe this would be happening if we were scraping 1 or 2 goal credible loses or getting humiliated in CL. We have benefited from a group that we realistically now could get through to the last 32, the money for points, prestige, the money for progressing and then we could draw one of the top clubs or if we dont feel we could oull another shock out of the bag and be competitive in the last 32. We took a big step toward winning the league last night and thats the main aim as we have the experience of this season that could carry us to CL properly prepared rather than completely out of our depth. Also the possibility of being seeded in next season CL Q2 is the sort of ground work being laid down this season. We need a bit of luck with holding on to players too, obviously Horgan and McEleney who would be near impossible to replace.

Don't expect us to do much against Zenit. They'll be a bridge too far imo.
    Hope we can keep it respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have been a big fan of Dundalk this season, and enjoyed watching them and all their success, but I do think they are going to get 2 beatings from Zenit.

I really hope I'm wrong, but Zenit are a different class of team to AZ and the Israeli's.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have been a big fan of Dundalk this season, and enjoyed watching them and all their success, but I do think they are going to get 2 beatings from Zenit.

I really hope I'm wrong, but Zenit are a different class of team to AZ and the Israeli's.

It is virtually mission impossible.

The FAI have run them into the ground with the punishing schedule of games they have been made play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

It is virtually mission impossible.

The FAI have run them into the ground with the punishing schedule of games they have been made play.

Even if the fixture list was okay, we'd still be taking a beating from zenith.

Need to keep the goals conceded in these 2 games to a minimum move on to the next games and get something from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Dundalk get 1pt from the 6 on offer v Zenit it will be a fantastic result.

Lets hope they can keep the scores down and avoid injuries..Maybe if Zenit are a couple up they might be happy with that and the GD might not be too bad.

Dundalk now just one win away from a third title.

Well done also to Drogheda, who are in the first division play offs.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If Dundalk get 1pt from the 6 on offer v Zenit it will be a fantastic result.

Lets hope they can keep the scores down and avoid injuries..Maybe if Zenit are a couple up they might be happy with that and the GD might not be too bad.

We took the lead & hit the post when we were ahead.
    Read that post i put up above ;) Watch how disappointed the Dundalk players were when they left the pitch?
    keep the score down ehh?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Well done Dundalk!

Now go and give them hell in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

owww me head ?

Folks,well - hows the nerves standing up for tonight?
    I've a days work ahead of me and i'm like.......crapping it here

Day is 10 LOI matches packed in to one.

Throw advice to help me through the day no matter how stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I am more at ease than the BATE game due to how much was at stake. We know AZ are a good passing side but a point is very doable and winning is too. I hope the rest has helped rather than have the players ring rusty Brentford friendly or not. Hopefully the injured players are available. I suppose they could be risked if not 100%!?

So after an absence of just 1 season the proper Louth derby rivalry is back and it's all happening at Oriel this Friday @ 7-30 pm in Oriel Park.
    Live TV coverage on the RTE and radio commentary from LMFM & Dundalk FM, but nothing will be better than to be at ground to watch as the two old rivals go toe-to-toe for the early season bragging rights!
    Great to have this fixture back & hopefully there will be a huge crowd in Oriel to watch it.

17553774_1275683589152865_5097898294424378284_n.jpg?oh=d852e734aed98a017bb1c16db2e44014&oe=594D0C87

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Ended up watching on tv (can't stand the away section in Oriel) and the game was very good to watch. Would like to hear a neutral's perspective but I thought it was a tense and exciting game.

Drogs RB Deasy was caught out of position too many times (most notably for the first two goals) and McGuigan was stupid to get the second yellow card.

Dundalk missed some amount of chances! Seán Gannon could be a big loss. Any confidence in Vemmelund at right-back?

Dundalk urgently need a good goalkeeper. What we have are not up to it.

fh041205 wrote: »
    Ended up watching on tv (can't stand the away section in Oriel) and the game was very good to watch. Would like to hear a neutral's perspective but I thought it was a tense and exciting game.

Drogs RB Deasy was caught out of position too many times (most notably for the first two goals) and McGuigan was stupid to get the second yellow card.

Dundalk missed some amount of chances! Seán Gannon could be a big loss. Any confidence in Vemmelund at right-back?
    Thought it was comfortable enough. Well, as comfortable as it can be with the goalkeeper. :pac: Vemmelund looks pretty damn good to me.

fh041205 wrote: »

Dundalk have a very comfortable away section in the stand for away fans who don't want to go on to the big bad away terrace(the paltry 150 odd that made the trip down the M1 and who stood there were fine).It will cost you a mere €5 more than the terrace admission price but hey you'll get handy access to a bar,refreshments and maybe you'll spot some players and LOI personalities there also!!
    You never intended going and you'll use any excuse to back yourself up.
    Am i right?

Loads of confidence here in Dundalk about Vemmelund,once he leaves the wife 'job' excuses behind him.He barely got away with that excuse in Derry but he has no chance of getting away with it in Dundalk.

• Advertisement

Dundalk have a very comfortable away section in the stand for away fans ....

The 100 seats reserved for away fans in the stand is the best away section in the league.

A few yards from the pitch, centrally positioned, and just behind the away dug out.

Advertisement