Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Was there a pub called Tommy Wrights where Sweetmans is now on Burgh Quay and another pub opposite on the Northside that got turned into an Indian restaurant.

I remember The Shakespeare on Parnell St as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone from the area remember this pub?

It has been closed for donkeys years, but with all the lovely apartments close by now, maybe they were holding out for a deal or something.

I don't think I've seen a premises closed for so long.... maybe ten years or so?

The Black and Amber in Islandbridge.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3466656,-6.3082463,3a,75y,130.23h,85.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s04IZymjnPq289sSYGiCa_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

dd972 wrote: »
    Was there a pub called Tommy Wrights where Sweetmans is now on Burgh Quay and another pub opposite on the Northside that got turned into an Indian restaurant.

Most definitely. Had my first Guinness in Tommy Wrights. Think I was 15 or at most 16. Haven't looked back! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    I would love to see any photos of it.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe

Ah yes, the Grove, remember it well, no pics though. Demolished about 10 years ago, and a block of flats built on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Anyone from the area remember this pub?

It has been closed for donkeys years, but with all the lovely apartments close by now, maybe they were holding out for a deal or something.

I don't think I've seen a premises closed for so long.... maybe ten years or so?

The Black and Amber in Islandbridge.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3466656,-6.3082463,3a,75y,130.23h,85.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s04IZymjnPq289sSYGiCa_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I am so old I remember when it was open, When the owner wanted to, think it closed down early eighties ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am so old I remember when it was open, When the owner wanted to, think it closed down early eighties ??

You could be right, I was only in it once, but I pass it by every day. Still amazed it's there. Must be holding on to the site or something like that.

That area is very short on pubs with all the development going on. I'm talking walking distance here. OK there is the new hotel and the Patriots up the road.

Ryans in Parkgate is still going strong, although I hate all the tv's everywhere in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ryans in Parkgate is still going strong, although I hate all the tv's everywhere in there now.

Anyone remember Mr. Ryan himself? Nicknamed Bongo, but not too his face! Great ham sandwiches back in the day, made to order. No other food though. Great snugs too. Are they still there?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Snugs are still there alright.

inside-ryans-parkgate.jpg

Place is a lot more food orientated now – part of an FXBs with a restaurant upstairs – but still a lovely pub. Agree with previous poster about the TVs. They're too highly placed anyway to even be of use so better off without them.

Nancy Hands just up past it is another fine establishment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Think it was open in the 90s, even if early 90s

The pub scenes in 'I Went Down' were filmed there

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Does anyone remember the name of the pub at the 12th lock at grand canal( near lucan sarsfields GAA club)?
    Also nearby were Polly Hops and McEvoys in Newcastle, both of which burnt down iirc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You could be right, I was only in it once, but I pass it by every day. Still amazed it's there. Must be holding on to the site or something like that.

That area is very short on pubs with all the development going on. I'm talking walking distance here. OK there is the new hotel and the Patriots up the road.

The Royal Oak opposite the entrance to Kilmainham Garda station is a nice tvless pub.

Does anyone remember the name of the pub at the 12th lock at grand canal( near lucan sarsfields GAA club)?
    Also nearby were Polly Hops and McEvoys in Newcastle, both of which burnt down iirc

Ah, Briany McEvoy's, great little pub. It's still a burnt out shell. I still think of Polly Hops as the Happy Brig, seems to be a car dealership /gym place now. McEvoy's at the Hazelhatch bridge on the grand canal still going strong. Some oddness in the Hatch bar itself since the Lee's sold it.

Can't recall what the pub at the twelfth lock was called, but it's the pub the where the seven people had been drinking before driving into the canal on their way back to clondalkin about 20 years ago. Terribly sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe

Asked my mate there for you, he lived just down from it and worked in it so may have one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

dd972 wrote: »

Shakespeare is still there, but its a korean pub/restaurant now. Has a mad clientele of koreans/students/locals nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Original post was:- Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe

Well, Thanks to all the pub wanderers for the info on all the pubs mentioned in the replies. But can we get back to the original question about The Grove Inn in Harold's Cross?

Gavin "shel". Any luck with your mate who worked there? I would really appreciate any thing of help. Thanks
    Joe

Hi, the op is actually below, which doesn't mention the Grove at all. Your query is a reboot of the thread.

Sorry, I've no photos of the Grove, though I do remember it well, only from driving past though.
    gaiscioch wrote: »
    An Béal Bocht, Charlemont Street, Dublin 2

Somebody on another thread mentioned Charlemont Street. For me the street will forever be associated with An Béal Bocht pub which, aside from having one of the best two-hour happy hours in Dublin, was a hive of culture, holding plays (the premier of Brian Ó Nualláin's An Béal Bocht was held there in 1989) and more famously concerts by all the leading trad/folk music bands of the day. I remember going to one of my first ever pub gigs and it was a jazz-trad fusion gig there in the 1990s by Keith Donald of Moving Hearts. I was fascinated by the sorts of people who were there and the sax playing. It was on a corner of Charlemont street that is now full of mundane apartments like you'd find anywhere else in the city. Looking at streetview, it's either Rabobank or Snap printing that's on that corner now. According to this the pub closed in 2001. I can't even find an image of An Béal Bocht online. Either way, the street is less for its character now.

What other once famous pub in Dublin do you remember?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Speaking of Dorset Street, anybody remember the Meeting Place? There used to be good trad seisiúin there also, but I only noticed from glancing at the inlay sleeve a few years ago that the superb Live in Dublin album by Christy Moore, Jimmy Faulkner & Dónal Lunny was partly recorded there in 1978 (this is the album with the incomparable version of The Boys of Barr na Sráide on it).

Can't find a photo of it either but it was painted red for years, and was on a corner of Upper Dorset Street (the far side of the street to Maye's). I think it was here, where a pub named Delahunty's is now.

It was the other side of the road from Delahunty's - at number 100.

It was briefly called The Meeting Pint in the 21st century.
    pubs%2B2002%2Ba.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

spurious wrote: »
    It was the other side of the road from Delahunty's - at number 100.

It was briefly called The Meeting Pint in the 21st century.
    pubs%2B2002%2Ba.JPG

Was called spillans in the late sixties & run by three brothers.
    Changed to the "Meeting Place" in 1972.
    Took out all the old Snug & built an upstairs ballad room.
    Great characters from from the area drank there.
    It was rumoured you would get served there with a school bag on your back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gavin "shel". Any luck with your mate who worked there? I would really appreciate any thing of help. Thanks
    Joe

Unfortunately not Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Hatch?

Across the road from McEvoys.

• Advertisement

The Hatch?

Across the road from McEvoys.

Nope, that's on the Hazel Hatch Road, the twelfth lock is on the Newcastle/Lucan Road, the canal bridge with traffic lights. The pub there was just called Doyle's, I think.

The Hatch was a great pub, seems to be some sort of arts collective since the Lee's sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Original post was:- Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe

Well, Thanks to all the pub wanderers for the info on all the pubs mentioned in the replies. But can we get back to the original question about The Grove Inn in Harold's Cross?

Joe

Some attitude there.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

Valence mcgraths on the quays

Rough as fk during the week but hopping with people on the nites of gigs held in the old point

Joe Hill wrote: »

Rough as fk during the week but hopping with people on the nites of gigs held in the old point

Used to do a good lunch 20 years back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The licence for the Five Lamps was dropped off the register this month - possibly sold on or an administrative error for whatever redev work was planned there. How long is that closed?

There were rumours last year that a couple of the Dublin team were doing it up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's planning from 2014 for a renovation/extension alright.

Joe Hill wrote: »

Planning approved for a refurbishment here now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    Planning approved for a refurbishment here now

I thought last time I passed the old Vallence McGraths site it had been levelled... maybe I was looking at the wrong block?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I thought last time I passed the old Vallence McGraths site it had been levelled... maybe I was looking at the wrong block?

You were. Its protected (not that that stops someone levelling it!) as is the warehouse beside it and permission has just been granted to renovate V&M and convert the warehouse to a hotel.

There has been major clearance much nearer to the Point.

Does anyone remember where the other pubs on that stretch of the quays were? The Jetfoil being the most notable I'd imagine - presumably it had a history prior to that name being put on it?

Advertisement