Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

The Napper Tandy in Bride Street was a great auld spot in it's day

When the € was introduced, the owner had a stack of old 50p pieces behind the bar for the pool table & juke box, rather than get them converted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

anncoates wrote: »
    I actually lived in a squatted building for a little while around there up towards the museum.
    On Benburb street? I remember going to at least one party there. Weren't some of the late 80's/early 90's TCD JCR crowd involved in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Crash wrote: »
    Would this be the same Jim that then went on to run it's later incarnation as Mahaffys?

Great place, and an absolutely lovely man. Used go there a lot in college.
    Ah Mahaffy's. I had a bedsit above the pub back in 1990 or so. I lasted 10 days before being asked to leave (some other guy decided to have all night party and we all got the blame..)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Dublin’s dozens of derelict pubs are being documented by one man and his bike

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/derelict-pubs-dublin-1729993-Oct2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

miamee wrote: »
    Dublin’s dozens of derelict pubs are being documented by one man and his bike

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/derelict-pubs-dublin-1729993-Oct2014/

Mr. Publin.ie, worth following on Twitter and Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

he's been a boardsie far longer than he was mr publin - sound bloke!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi, can anybody tell me the name of the closed pub with no name over the door across the road from the DIT in Aungier Street on the corner of Digges Street Upper? Passed it today on the 14 bus, looks sad.
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi, can anybody tell me the name of the closed pub with no name over the door across the road from the DIT in Aungier Street on the corner of Digges Street Upper? Passed it today on the 14 bus, looks sad.
    Joe

JJ Smyths?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its on that Publin list. Dwyers/Aungier House is the name given there. JJ Smyths is still open!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

L1011 wrote: »
    Its on that Publin list. Dwyers/Aungier House is the name given there. JJ Smyths is still open!

occasionally went in there when I was in DIT, very rough and ready place (we called it Danger House), but really cheap booze and they had a pool table. Can't believe it hasn't been redeveloped yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not sure as to how famous it may have been, but pretty gutted the Dark Horse inn on the quays recently closed up, for what I assumed was to be renovations, only for it to reemerge as a Starbuck's.

Passed by it on the way to work the other day and I'm sure my face went all Ralph Wiggum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Not sure as to how famous it may have been, but pretty gutted the Dark Horse inn on the quays recently closed up, for what I assumed was to be renovations, only for it to reemerge as a Starbuck's.

Passed by it on the way to work the other day and I'm sure my face went all Ralph Wiggum.

Great article on the history of that spot here: https://comeheretome.com/2016/08/10/historic-dublin-pub-the-white-horse-now-a-starbucks-coffee-shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

babaracus wrote: »
    The Blacker is still going but called something else now. Liz Delaney's I think. Painted a gaudy godawful colour on the outside. I have not been brave enough to sample its internal delights in the last 10 years.

On the OP: Berminghams on Dorset St seems to be closed the last couple of years. Was in there about 2009 after a game in Croker and it had not been done up since about 1960, stank like hell and had barstaff who may well have served their apprenticeship while we were still under British rule. It had character and characters though.

Apologies for referencing a two year old post but I just read this post.

Berminghams was a watering hole for Offaly GAA fans in the 70s 80s and 90s when we were going well. Many a night I fell out of it after a great Offaly win !

It certainly was not known for it's salubrious decor. It was owned by a tall Offaly man from Banagher named Jim Bermingham. Not sure if he has now passed on but if not he is a very old man.

Memories:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The Old Grinding Young beside Emmet Bridge in Harold's Cross. Originally an 18th-century or older inn, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Another one! wtf - Id be careful to close my front door at this rate in case I came home in the evening and Starbucks moved in!

Some random times in the Dark Horse tho..!

White Horse, surely? Come Here To Me did a piece on it, revealing that Captain Bligh of the Bounty lived there:

https://comeheretome.com/2016/08/10/historic-dublin-pub-the-white-horse-now-a-starbucks-coffee-shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

km991148 wrote: »
    Another one! wtf - Id be careful to close my front door at this rate in case I came home in the evening and Starbucks moved in!

Some random times in the Dark Horse tho..!

I'm sure I mouthed "another one?..." as I saw it. I wasn't around during its White Horse heyday, but have had plenty of good nights out in the Dark Horse. The folk running it were probably some of the loveliest and most accommodating I've ever come across. Quite the loss, so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

is the addison lodge still open? see its for sale in the news this morning but just says the site is for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

neris wrote: »
    is the addison lodge still open? see its for sale in the news this morning but just says the site is for sale

Still open I'm 99% sure, the carvery is quite popular with elderly people at lunch time.

A bit run down inside though, I wouldn't be surprised if whoever owns it is looking to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Still open I'm 99% sure, the carvery is quite popular with elderly people at lunch time.

A bit run down inside though, I wouldn't be surprised if whoever owns it is looking to get rid.

It's been leased out the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Apologies for referencing a two year old post but I just read this post.

Berminghams was a watering hole for Offaly GAA fans in the 70s 80s and 90s when we were going well. Many a night I fell out of it after a great Offaly win !

It certainly was not known for it's salubrious decor. It was owned by a tall Offaly man from Banagher named Jim Bermingham. Not sure if he has now passed on but if not he is a very old man.

Memories:)

My local rag has taken to reporting where licences came from in case of transfers/conversions done in the local court.

After the Mater Private bought Berminghams, they eventually sold the licence to Maxol Maynooth who converted it to an off-licence. So what was Berminghams is now a single fridge of beer in a petrol station, in some ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

buffalo wrote: »

Great read on a great pub. Absolutely shameful it's a Starbucks now.....:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    So what was Berminghams is now a single fridge of beer in a petrol station, in some ways.
    Standard practice. Great to see it being reported though.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Great read on a great pub. Absolutely shameful it's a Starbucks now.....:(

Their day too shall pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Anyone mentioned The Chinaman on Stephens Street Upper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Anyone mentioned The Chinaman on Stephens Street Upper?
    Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

You're entering a world of pain Donnie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

I have fond memories of drinking in The Goalpost pub on Cathedral Street in the 1990's. It was run by a Tipperary man Paddy Kirwan and his sons. They were all well able to handle themselves and any bit of occasional trouble was dealt with very quickly.

Paddy ran a tab for his regulars. Many a civil servant and bods from the GPO would borrow say £50/£60 during the week and on pay day would settle up and the tab would start all over again. Great pint of Guinness which for years sold at £1.95 when everywhere else around it was over £2

Paddy got an offer he couldn't refuse and sold up in the early 2000's when it was bought by McGeogh's of Phibsboro fame and was renamed as Brannigan's.

This link which I found states incorrectly that when McGeough's took over the pub they renamed it as 'The Goalpost' - http://brannigansbar.ie/about-us/

That is simply not true as it was already called 'The Goalpost' before they bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The Lantern in Harolds Cross is now Harolds Cross Pool Club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have fond memories of drinking in The Goalpost pub on Cathedral Street in the 1990's. It was run by a Tipperary man Paddy Kirwan and his sons. They were all well able to handle themselves and any bit of occasional trouble was dealt with very quickly.

Paddy ran a tab for his regulars. Many a civil servant and bods from the GPO would borrow say 50/ 60 during the week and on pay day would settle up and the tab would start all over again. Great pint of Guinness which for years sold at 1.95 when everywhere else around it was over 2

Paddy got an offer he couldn't refuse and sold up in the early 2000's when it was bought by McGeogh's of Phibsboro fame and was renamed as Brannigan's.

This link which I found states incorrectly that when McGeough's took over the pub they renamed it as 'The Goalpost' - http://brannigansbar.ie/about-us/

That is simply not true as it was already called 'The Goalpost' before they bought it.

Correct. I'm pretty sure it was called the Goalpost in 1990. I remember watching England play Cameroon there leading to the immortal chant, "come on you blacks in green".

Advertisement